Forum Settings
Forums

voice actors: the most typecasted, the largest vocal range, and those who need more anime roles.

New
Apr 16, 2011 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
I decided to dedicate this topic on discussions on voice actors in anime voice acting. This thread is a discussion on who you think is the most typecast voice actors, voice actors who have the largest vocal range, and voice actors who really need more anime roles.

For the last part on the voice actors who need more anime roles, I recommend you guys stick to either those who are relatively new into voice acting (e.g. Micah Solusod) or veteran voice actors who really don't have a lot of anime roles and often limited to western cartoon and video game voice acting (e.g. Nolan North). Try to avoid mentioning actors (particularly on the Hollywood A to D list) who primarily well known only for live-action roles, However, not all those actors who have limited voice acting experience aren't bad (For example, I personally think Christian Bale did a nice job in Howl's Moving Castle even he's well-known for his live-action film work). But try to stick to the voice actors as much as possible.

I'll start this discussion off:

Most typecasted:

-Johnny Yong Bosch: as much as he's my favorite voice actor, I felt that he's often typecast into the "hot-blooded" heroes too much. Particularly when dealing with popular shonen titles. Thus being said, he does have a decent vocal range (Renton Thurston, Sakura Kusakabe, Izaya Orihara, and Lelouch Lamperouge). It's just that he doesn't have any chance to show this range due to the typecasting.

-Todd Haberkorn: he's often casted into meek, loser guys, or those who are quirky and brilliant. Case in point. North Italy, Keroro, Nagasumi Michishio, and Death the Kid.

-Yuri Lowenthal: Lol, I just had to throw this in. Yuri Lowenthal is often casted into the "kid hero" characters (Ben Tennyson, Superboy, Yuri Shibuya, and Simon). Though being said, he is also well-known to voice Sasuke Uchiha and Suzaku, both of which are not "kid hero" characters. Apparently, this is one of the few examples where I think typecasting worked well here, which is why I constantly brag about Yuri Lowenthal should voice Joey Jones from Heroman and the title character from Hayate the Combat Butler.

Voice actors in anime who have the largest vocal range:

-Steve Blum and Wendee Lee, enough said.

Voice actors who need more anime roles:

-Hynden Walch: Okay, bear with me. I loved Walch's voice acting of Yutaka Kobayakawa in Lucky Star and Nia from Gurren Lagann. I find her voice acting to be very moe, her voice acting really fits for the cute, young girls. Walch-chan, why so moe!?!!

-James Arnold Taylor: This guy have one of the largest vocal range in voice acting. And it make me wonder why he doesn't get a lot of anime roles around.

-Nolan North: I have to admit, I was a bit surprised he voiced Madara Uchiha in the Naruto video game and anime. Listening to some of his clips, he does have great potentials for anime voice acting (Axel Hughes from Heroman, anyone?). Thus being said, he's often casted into video games a lot.

Oh yeah, and I think Cristina Vee should typecast into the tsundere characters, like I've always boasted on.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 17, 2011 12:04 AM

Dec 2009
I've never heard or noticed anyone being typecast as anything, really.

Largest vocal range goes to Steven Blum, hands down. Crash Bandicoot in CNK and Yakky Doodle in Harvey Birdman are two roles that I still have a hard time believing are actually him. I haven't noticed Lee much, but then, I tend to not remember female voice actors as well for some reason.

There are also a couple other voice actors I could think of with an absolutely obscene voice range, like Billy West and Phil LaMarr, but they're primarily Western voice actors.

Needs more roles...

Dameon Clarke. Though I think he's out of the business, or at least that's what I've heard. He voiced the younger Toguro in Yu Yu Hakusho, Scar in Fullmetal Alchemist (the original, not Brotherhood), and Cell in DBZ, to name a few rather large roles.

Also Michael McConnohie. He gets a ton of work as it is, but I don't care. I will never get tired of hearing his voice. Ever.

... maybe Liam O'Brien. I can't be bothered to check how many roles he has, but I can only think of a couple off the top of my head. If he doesn't have many, he needs more, and if he does... well I just like him, I guess.

Part of me wants to say Vic Mignogna for range, but the more I hear of him, the more he kind of seems to resemble Bosch - one or two ultra-stand out roles (Broly and Bui), but all of his other characters sound pretty much identical.
XTApocalypseApr 17, 2011 10:10 AM
Apr 17, 2011 11:51 AM

Nov 2007
Jonny Yong Bosch did surprise me as Claus Valca in Last Exile. I could have sworn he was voicing Dio, but Joshua Seth did that guy.

Most typecast:

Vic Mignogna is getting to be like the Jack Nicholson of anime voice acting with his casting as goofy father-figures and teenage bros.

Greg Ayres probably tops Todd Haberkorn in typecasting of wimpy teenage boys. They and Spike Spencer have that niche covered, well, except that Spike Spencer did do Martian Successor Nadesico.

Anyone on The Simpsons that isn’t Harry Shearer or Hank Azaria. I know they do a lot of roles within that show, and hardly any anime roles, but they’re always going to be strongly associated with a Simpsons character and not much else outside of that world.

Range:

Laura Bailey still tops my list for her vocal range. Granted many of her supporting anime roles are derivatives of her more popular characters, but still to have that main set of Tohru (Fruits Basket), Sana (Kodocha), Lust (FMA), Shin (Shin-Chan), Marlene (Blue Gender), Serena (Case Closed), and Michel (Glass Fleet) where she can voice anyone from the good to evil, low sultry to squeaky high, is a good thing.

I also like when Luci Christian does her non-typical voices like Washu (Sasami Club) and Sarah (Kaleido Star), and when Monica Rial did Jo (Burst Angel).

Needs more roles: I’ve got plenty of favorites that I never get tired of hearing and would love to hear more but I’ll push for:

Chuck Huber - getting to hear him as Frank in Soul Eater was really cool as he had a distinct voice as Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho).

Kelly Sheridan - after being the iconic voice of Barbie, it was perfect casting for her to do Nana Komatsu (Nana), and it’s been a while since she did Sango (Inuyasha).
AngusApr 17, 2011 9:03 PM
Apr 18, 2011 2:44 PM

Jul 2007
Most typecasted:
Greg Ayres: Oh god, back when he was voicing mostly for ADV dubs, he would almost ALWAYS cased as a wimpy young boy. Bonus points if the kid worn glasses.Thank goodness this is happening less and less now. He's a talented guy and it should be shown.

Johnny Yong Bosch: Yeah he plays the shonen action hero alot. I think his name will one day become synonymic with shonen. He can do other things but he doesn't seem to get those role much.

Largest vocal range:
Laura Bailey: I'm really impressed with her range. Most of the time when I tell people she played Tohru Honda and Lust, they are shocked. Innconent and sweet in one character, sexy and evil in the other.

Needs More Roles:
Joel McDonald: Loved him as Yoite and his roles have been quite different so far. What I've heard so far I liked. I think we can stand to have a little more of him.

Bryan Massey: My favorite role in Baccono. He played crazy so well. He hasn't been in many main roles, I think Baccon and, this new release Rideback, are the only ones. I haven't seen Rideback, yet.

@ Angus: Oh god, it seems like Chuck Huber greats at least one role in every dub Funimation puts out. His voice is unique and it seems everywhere to the point I make a game out of it. "Find Chuck 's voice in the Funi anime". I'm not quite tried of hearing his voice yet, but I'm getting there. Sadly because of ongoings in his personally life, I'm may not hear him in the newer anime. T_T

@ DarkPaladinX: I have to disagree with Todd being typecasted. He has played many roles that varies enough that I don't think he is being pigeonholed to one type. He played creepy characters(Apos) , cool characters (Kazuya, Joseph), shonen guys (Allen, Ling) and very strange characters (Hikaru, Niijima). He also played some pretty normal guys (Yuuichirou,Yutaka). I think he is casted a lot as the main character though.

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Apr 18, 2011 4:21 PM

Dec 2009
I haven't really noticed Huber. But then, I don't really keep up with modern dubs. Which probably also has to do with the fact that I've only heard one Todd Haberkorn role, ever.
Apr 19, 2011 3:27 PM

Jul 2007
Huber and Haberkorn are also not in many dubs outside of Funimation properties.

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Apr 21, 2011 9:23 PM
Jul 2018
@Angus I agree that Laura Bailey does have a large vocal range. However, I also disagree that Vic Mignogna is heavily typecasted. He can play young teenagers, heroes, villains, psychos, comic relief, and many more and have a good vocal range, but not as comparable to Steve Blum.

Bear in note that typecasting isn't always bad. In fact, according to Steve Blum at Tekkoshocon, there have been voice actors who dedicated most of his or her career with one type of voice. Case in point, Greg Cipes always have a distinctive rasp in his surfer-dude accent (he's an actual surfer in real life as well as a voice actor) that he's often casted into delinquents and "bad boys" in western cartoons. In fact, some voice actors are quite good on the role they are typecasted into. As I mentioned earlier, Yuri Lowenthal does have a good "kid hero" voice which is the main reason I boast about him voicing Joey Jones, Hayate Ayasaki, and Tsuna Sawada. Although being said, most typecasted voice actors are usually either polarized or have strong hatedom.

Also want to add a few more things.

Most typecasted:

-Sandy Fox/Hilary Haag: Both of them are well-known to have high-pitched voices and often typecast in sweet, cute, young girls that would give you diabetes (Fuuko Ibuki, Riku Harada, Milk, and Becky Miyamoto for Hilary Haag. Marona, Flonne, and even a character named Moé for Sandy Fox).

-Michael McConnohie: his deep pipes makes him often cast into either an authority figure, a charismatic leader, or a narrator of a story (Charles zi Britannia, Seth, and Captain Gordon, DEFENDER OF EARTH!).

-Bryce Papenbrook: his voice acting is often associated to either energetic comic reliefs or "nice guy" characters. But I heard he can play much more serious characters when needed.

Largest vocal range:

-Okay, these two voice actors don't a very prolific vocal range like Wendee Lee, but both Kari Wahlgren and Michelle Ruff does have a large vocal range.

-Similarly, Crispin Freeman does have a decent and large vocal range, but not as much as Steve Blum.

-In the Texas side, I'd say Luci Christian and Monica Rial, which IMHO, is comparable to Kari Wahlgren and Michelle Ruff respectively.

Need more anime roles:
-Across from Nolan North, James Arnold Taylor, and Hynden Walch, other voice actors who normally work on either video games or western cartoons: Tara Strong, Ashley Johnson, Dee Bradley Baker, John DiMaggio, and Greg Cipes.

-someone in my anime club mentioned Cam Clarke when I mentioned Nolan North needing more anime roles, so I put that there.

-I also agree with XTApocalypse that Dameon Clarke needs more anime roles. His anime voice acting resume is very small. Thus being said, I've heard he retired from anime voice acting and is working more on live-action roles; which is why he didn't reprise his role as Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Cell from DBZ Kai (though it's most likely the union issues involved).

-I'm not sure if he's still active, but Aaron Dismuke needs more roles. Particularly since his voice matured, I'm wondering if he's still working on anime voice acting. The last time I've heard, he voiced younger Van Hohenheim in the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood dub (due to the fact Aaron is unable to voice Alphonse). I think he could make a good Kamijou Touma for To Aru Majutsu no Index dub and could be a role he might memorable for the fans on what he is able to do for decades to come.

@XTApocalyse: If you are curious about Wendee Lee's vocal range, check this Youtube clip below. This was recorded during the Podcast Anime Fans Give Back to Japan marathon fundraiser event. It shows Haruhi Suzumiya talking to over 20 characters she voiced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05F7k40hDbc
removed-userApr 21, 2011 9:29 PM
Apr 21, 2011 11:05 PM

Dec 2009
John DiMaggio doesn't have any anime roles at all, does he? I thought he was all western, like West and LaMarr.
Apr 25, 2011 2:06 PM

Nov 2007
Vic does have a diverse range of roles, but a big chunk of his fan base still wanted him to say his most typecast FMA based lines at the cons. Then there's his singing, where he's got plenty of songs, but folks wanted to hear him sing Brothers (FMA again), at least until he started doing the One Piece themes.

Crispin Freeman's range has been helped a lot by Alucard / Hellsing.

Hmm, I'd have picked different Wendee Lee roles but I'm in the wrong decade for that. ;)
Apr 26, 2011 10:26 PM

Jul 2007
DarkPaladinX said:

-I'm not sure if he's still active, but Aaron Dismuke needs more roles. Particularly since his voice matured, I'm wondering if he's still working on anime voice acting. The last time I've heard, he voiced younger Van Hohenheim in the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood dub (due to the fact Aaron is unable to voice Alphonse). I think he could make a good Kamijou Touma for To Aru Majutsu no Index dub and could be a role he might memorable for the fans on what he is able to do for decades to come.

Aaron is still decently active in Voice acting, seems like he's been featured in at least one Funimation release every year. It not a lot of role, but a pretty steady amount for some who livelihood doesn't depend on him working. I guess because of school and such he not in a lot anime comparatively and he is in much smaller roles. He been in a good bit of anime lately as smaller roles such as Big Windup, Nabari no Ou, Corpse Princess, Ouran High School Host Club and Tower of Druga. He's even a main character in Linebarrels of Iron.

@ XTA: He seems to be in a few Miyazaki movies. And the more American-appealing stuff like Afro Samurai and Animatrix

Jun 22, 2011 10:06 PM

Nov 2007
It’s funny that I first heard Tara Strong as Rikku in Final Fantasy X and then checked out her presence in US cartoons, but what was cool was hearing that Debi Derryberry (Ryo-Ohki in Tenchi Muyo) became the voice of Jimmy Neutron. I wouldn't mind hearing either of them do some anime again.
Sep 28, 2011 2:17 PM

Nov 2007
I was watching the Funi dub of Initial D, and my better half said that Keisuke (Todd Haberkorn) sounded wimpy this time around. I guess he could have played it more like Apos in Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne.
Nov 18, 2011 7:25 PM

Nov 2007
Was thinking of Monkey Island recently. Dominic Armato would be great to hear again.
May 24, 2012 6:08 PM

Apr 2012
The one actor who needs more roles is Reuben. He voice dante in devil may cry and he is amazing and he needs to have more roles.
Jun 5, 2012 11:36 AM

Jul 2007
I see Alexia Tipton getting typecasted already. She a relative newcomer, and she mostly been playing the moe characters in the more ranchy anime Funimation has released.

Jan 8, 2014 10:41 AM

Nov 2007
Had to resurrect this thread as I've been hearing lots of J. Michael Tatum in brainy guy roles. (Eden of the East, Ouran HS Host Club, Ghost Hunt, Initial D., D Gray-Man.) I'm assuming he's fairly serious in Black Butler as well?
Jan 8, 2014 11:35 AM

Dec 2009
Pretty serious, yeah. Definitely similar to his character in Ouran.
Jan 10, 2014 4:02 PM
Jul 2013
Well for me

The most typecast
Laura bailey
Yuri lowenthal
Steve blum
Vic M.
JYB

Largest vocal range
Steve Blum
Laura bailey
Kira Vincent Davis
Wendee lee
Roger Craig smith
troy baker
Karen Strassmen

Need more anime roles
Cristina vee
Lauren Landa
Christine Marie Cabanos
Erin Fitzgerald
Kaiji tang
Nolan north
Hynden Walch
Jan 10, 2014 4:38 PM

Dec 2009
Steve Blum plays everything and everyone, and Vic's not far behind. How are they typecast?
Jan 11, 2014 1:43 AM
Dec 2013
Most typecast: Bryce Papenbrook and Micah Solusod. They're basically the go-to guys for young heroes in their respective states.
Largest vocal range: For women, it's a tie between Wendee Lee and Luci Christian, though Laura Bailey, Kari Wahlgren and Michelle Ruff get honourable mentions. For men, it's Steve Blum by a landslide, though I must admit to being impressed by the range Todd Haberkorn has been showing recently.
Needs more anime roles: Jason Spisak (I miss hearing him in anime- Zatch Bell basically defined my childhood) Jason Charles Miller, Ben Diskin (he's already established himself as a voice actor in American cartoons, but I don't think he's quite as well-known among anime fans), Jennifer Alyx, Xanthe Huynh,Shelby Lindley and Marianne Miller. I'd like to see Patrick Poole and Jackie Ross in more titles as well; I thought they were fantastic in The Garden of Words and Steins;Gate respectively.
helenobellJan 11, 2014 5:31 PM
Jan 11, 2014 4:36 AM

Jul 2010
-Hynden Walch: Okay, bear with me. I loved Walch's voice acting of Yutaka Kobayakawa in Lucky Star and Nia from Gurren Lagann. I find her voice acting to be very moe, her voice acting really fits for the cute, young girls. Walch-chan, why so moe!?!!

I totally agree with you on this 100%. Her Yutaka was sooooo adorable, and I thought it'd be perfect for Madoka in Madoka Magica, which is why I was sad when she didn't get the role. I admit, I do like Christine Cabanos, but I still wish Hynden played Madoka. She would have been perfect!
Jan 16, 2014 5:29 PM

Nov 2007
Morgan Garrett's getting into the mix as Tina in Toriko; her character does all the episode previews.
Feb 17, 2014 8:26 PM

Aug 2008
Alright, one person who definitely needs more anime roles: Sarah Williams. She was awesome as Sayaka in Madoka Magica and Lisbeth in Sword Art Online, and I've heard good things about her performance as Yuniko in Accel World.
Feb 21, 2014 5:48 PM

Jul 2010
I can't think of much, but lately Christine Marie Cabanos has been type cast as cute little girls a lot. I heard her demo reel on YouTube, and she has a MEAN evil villain voice, which I really think should be utilized more. I'm surprised she didn't get picked to play Lilithmon (or Laylamon) in Digimon Xros Wars (or Digimon Fusion). She also does some cute Pokemon voices!
Feb 21, 2014 7:15 PM

Mar 2012
Crispin Freeman can never have too many roles. Although even that aside the only dubs I can think of that he's been in recently are the new Hellsing Ultimate episodes and Fate/Zero.
Apr 21, 2014 7:27 PM

Mar 2014
Debbie Rabbai(AKA Angora Deb) needs more roles, her performance as Futaba Murata is just adorable, and she does a nice Nayuta Moriyama in Shingu. I also liked her performance as Sofia in the Toshinden OVA. If Super Robot Wars OG Divine Wars ever gets dubbed I can only imagine her as Excellen Browning.

GK Bowes-She doesn't have that many roles in the anime dubbing business, her most notable being Kiyal Bachika in Gurren Lagann. I felt she should've been the current voice for Amy Rose in the Sonic games instead of Cindy Robinson.
SwatKat1990Apr 21, 2014 7:35 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2014 12:35 PM

Nov 2007
Where have I heard Angora Deb? Oh yeah, it was Queen's Blade as Leina.

Carrie Keranen did a great job with Ozzel in Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R. Gotta love robot voices, especially when they don't have to sound like that monotone Lost in Space or Daleks.
Apr 22, 2014 1:01 PM

Dec 2009
Has Lia Sargent been mentioned? Because R. Dorothy. <3
Apr 22, 2014 1:07 PM

Nov 2007
She's the original Milly in Trigun, who could forget that?
Apr 22, 2014 1:33 PM

Mar 2014
XTApocalypse said:
Has Lia Sargent been mentioned? Because R. Dorothy. <3

She was also Chun Li in the first 3 Street Fighter anime(Street Fighter II The Movie, Street Fighter II V, and Street Fighter Alpha). You should really check her out as Arashi Kishu in X TV series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2014 1:23 AM

Nov 2009
I'd like Kate Higgins to have more roles. Loved her as C.C. and Saber.
Apr 27, 2014 2:11 AM

Jul 2013
Jackie Ross definitely needs more roles. Mayuri sounded cute and I'm sure she'll do great on other roles.
Apr 27, 2014 3:51 AM

Apr 2014
We got Bryce Papenbrook coming up as Eren in Attack on Titan. Most people probably knows him as Kirito from Sword Art Online and Rin from Blue Exorcist.
Want a riddle? What, by the end of nine, becomes two?

Jul 30, 2014 12:26 PM

Nov 2007
Angus said:
Where have I heard Angora Deb? Oh yeah, it was Queen's Blade as Leina.

Carrie Keranen did a great job with Ozzel in Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R. Gotta love robot voices, especially when they don't have to sound like that monotone Lost in Space or Daleks.

Wow, Carrie landed Satsuki's role in Kill la Kill. Can't wait!
AngusJul 30, 2014 12:34 PM
Jul 30, 2014 1:43 PM

Aug 2008
Speaking of Kill la Kill, Erica Mendez also needs more roles. She's already off to a great start, though, what with landing lead roles in two AoA shows.
Aug 1, 2014 7:04 PM

Nov 2012
I'm not really understanding the praise Steve Blum is getting here for vocal range. He is a good VA and, for a male, his range is pretty wide, but it's really not that impressive compared to quite a few female VAs.
Aug 1, 2014 7:34 PM

Dec 2009
elbaldo said:
I'm not really understanding the praise Steve Blum is getting here for vocal range. He is a good VA and, for a male, his range is pretty wide, but it's really not that impressive compared to quite a few female VAs.

Such as? I've never heard a female VA with range, at least not anywhere NEAR what some male VA's like Chris Sabat and Vic Mignogna have demonstrated.
Aug 1, 2014 8:12 PM

Nov 2007
Well Chris Sabat was doing the Mel Blanc thing with all them Dragonball roles. Hard to match that nowadays when every last VA wants a role.

I could see where you might think female VAs don't have range when they just exhibit two tones: cutesy cartoony and serious/normal. I'm trying to think whether Colleen Clinkenbeard has done ranges outside her Goku/Gohan/Monkey D. Luffy voice and her Rachel/Yuko/Erza voice.
Aug 1, 2014 8:19 PM

Nov 2012
XTApocalypse said:
elbaldo said:

Such as? I've never heard a female VA with range, at least not anywhere NEAR what some male VA's like Chris Sabat and Vic Mignogna have demonstrated.

They've been mentioned several times in this thread already: Luci Christian, Monica Rial and Laura Bailey.

You're right, though. I totally forgot about Christopher Sabat and Vic. I was quite surprised when I learned that Vic did Broly in the DBZ movies.
Aug 1, 2014 9:29 PM

Dec 2009
Laura Bailey, I can see. She's the one who did Kid Trunks in DBZ as well as Lust in FMA, correct? What are some roles the other two have that demonstrate range, in your opinion?

(Vic also voices Bui in Yu Yu Hakusho, a role even deeper and less recognizable than Broly)
Aug 1, 2014 9:45 PM

Nov 2012
XTApocalypse said:
Laura Bailey, I can see. She's the one who did Kid Trunks in DBZ as well as Lust in FMA, correct? What are some roles the other two have that demonstrate range, in your opinion?

(Vic also voices Bui in Yu Yu Hakusho, a role even deeper and less recognizable than Broly)

I'll try to give the best examples from the anime that I've seen.

Monica Rial does Shiro in Deadman Wonderland, Mei Misaki in Another, Chane in Baccano and Houki in... ugh... Infinite Stratos...

Luci Chrstian: Honey in Ouran, Deunan in Appleseed, Ophelia in Claymore and Alois Trancy in Black Butler II.

I would have tried to accommodate for your list, but it appears you don't have one.
Aug 1, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2008
elbaldo said:

According to your own list, you've never seen Digimon Tamers, which is one of the best demonstrations of Steve Blum's true vocal range. Watch it, and then you'll understand why there's so much praise for him around these parts.
Aug 2, 2014 5:04 PM

Dec 2009
elbaldo said:
I would have tried to accommodate for your list, but it appears you don't have one.

My list moved to Anilist. There's a link on my profile.

LelouchZero said:
you've never seen Digimon Tamers, which is one of the best demonstrations of Steve Blum's true vocal range. Watch it, and then you'll understand why there's so much praise for him around these parts.

Who did he voice in Tamers again? Puppetmon?
Aug 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Nov 2012
XTApocalypse said:
elbaldo said:

But how is there nothing on your list for this site? Does it literally MOVE your list? Or did you go through and delete every entry?
Aug 2, 2014 10:58 PM

Aug 2008
XTApocalypse said:
Who did he voice in Tamers again? Puppetmon?

Yamaki, Kenta, and Guilmon.
Aug 3, 2014 6:19 PM

Dec 2009
elbaldo said:
XTApocalypse said:

But how is there nothing on your list for this site? Does it literally MOVE your list? Or did you go through and delete every entry?

No, it just copies it. I personally went through and deleted my lists on MAL because I don't plan to continue upkeeping them.
Apr 23, 2015 2:05 PM

Mar 2014
The most typecasted:

Johnny Yong Bosch- Reigning champion of this category.
Stephanie Sheh- Second place runner.
Alison Viktorin- Uses her real voice to play boys.
Greg Ayres- One of the very few male VAs to voice boys.
Brad Swaile- Usually casted as teenagers.
Patrick Seitz- Casted as gruff characters.
Monica Rial-Uses a high voice or her normal voice for many of her roles.(With Lyra/Dante however she uses a much lower tone, which greatly averts typecasting.)

Largest vocal range:

Chris Sabat
Wendee Lee
Kirk Thornton
Scott McNeil
Luci Christian
Laura Bailey
Kari Wahlgren
Tiffany Grant

VAs who need more roles:

Jason Griffith
Dan Green
Lisa Ortiz
Rachael Lillis
Veronica Taylor
Mike Pollock
Debbie Rabbai
Apr 23, 2015 3:18 PM

Aug 2014
SwatKat1990 said:
The most typecasted:

Johnny Yong Bosch- Reigning champion of this category.
Stephanie Sheh- Second place runner.
Alison Viktorin- Uses her real voice to play boys.
Greg Ayres- One of the very few male VAs to voice boys.
Brad Swaile- Usually casted as teenagers.
Patrick Seitz- Casted as gruff characters.
Monica Rial-Uses a high voice or her normal voice for many of her roles.(With Lyra/Dante however she uses a much lower tone, which greatly averts typecasting.)

Largest vocal range:

Chris Sabat
Wendee Lee
Kirk Thornton
Scott McNeil
Luci Christian
Laura Bailey
Kari Wahlgren
Tiffany Grant

VAs who need more roles:

Jason Griffith
Dan Green
Lisa Ortiz
Rachael Lillis
Veronica Taylor
Mike Pollock
Debbie Rabbai
Lets not forget Rebecca Forstadt. She needs more roles.
WE ARE BACK BABY!-Ani-Comedy's Return on Cartoon Network.(a fanmade block I made up.)
Aug 8, 2015 10:30 PM

Aug 2014
Most typecasted VAs:
Johnny Yong Bosch - generally cast as a teenage male with social and/or emotional issues and deals with much internal conflict
Yuri Lowenthal, Bryce Papenbrook, and Eric Vale - same as JYB
Todd Haberkorn - same as JYB, only higher-pitched and his characters are usually not as serious in nature
Travis Willingham - generally cast as some sort of authoritative figure with a looming presence
Sonny Strait - generally cast as a wimpy/cowardly character
Monica Rial - generally cast as a girl or young woman with a stereotypical high-pitched female anime character sort of voice (idk how else to word it)
Lisa Ortiz - same as Rial
Richard Epcar - generally cast as villians
Dameon Clarke and Paul Dobson - same as Epcar
Sherry Lynn - generally cast as cute little girls
Stephanie Sheh - same as Lynn

VAs with largest vocal range:
Christopher Sabat - the Mel Blanc of the Dragon Ball franchise
Wendee Lee - voiced hundreds of anime characters, ranging from little boys to teenage girls to older women, all with varying personalities
Luci Christian and Laura Bailey - same as Lee
Marc Thompson - voices more than a hundred different human and Pokémon characters in the Pokémon anime

VAs who need more roles:
James Arnold Taylor - one of the most prominent actors in voice-over, with hundreds of credits on his resume, but only a small selection of anime roles
Marc Diraison - demonstrated lots of potential in anime voice-over since his performance as Guts in Berserk, but hasn't had many other roles since
Nicholas DiMichele - LOVED him as the title character from Episode N of the Best Wishes series of the Pokémon anime
Aug 9, 2015 2:08 PM

Mar 2014
I forgot these three:

Carrie Savage, Hilary Haag, and Sandy Fox- All three of these are usually typecasted as young girls.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.