Forum Settings
Forums

Fractale and Hourou Musuko Mark Record Low Rating

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 25, 2011 3:27 PM
Aug 2009
That's terrible.
Such great shows, and low rating?

Anyway, I don't think Japan is thinking right now of watching anything on TV xDU
Mar 25, 2011 3:41 PM
Dec 2007
Kenshin- said:
That's terrible.
Such great shows, and low rating?

Anyway, I don't think Japan is thinking right now of watching anything on TV xDU
Why are people assumming ALL OF JAPAN IS CURRENTLY HOMELESS? The quake and tsunami only affected a portion of Japan, the areas with the largest populations, and where most of the anime/manga industry is centered, are quite intact, besides a few small damages on old structures. In other words, please stop it with the quake excuse here since it's obvious that by this point, whoever was watching the shows would have watched them anyway. What else are you supposed to do if you aren't affected, sit by in your room praying for the victims? Life goes on you know.

Mar 25, 2011 3:46 PM

May 2010
other shows out there deserve lower ratings... i won't mention any, i'll be targeted by immautre shounen yakuza kids.
Mar 25, 2011 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
FFandMMfan said:
retrodarling said:
Sure, the anime cut out a ridiculous amount of chapters, but does that mean that the anime is bad?

YES, YOU MORONS, YES IT DOES!

then why give it a 7.
Mar 25, 2011 4:02 PM

Feb 2009
FFandMMfan said:
Urufuzu_rein said:
HM is brilliantly directed and no manga readers could convince me otherwise.

Bad as an adaptation =/= bad as a stand-alone anime.

...You're an idiot. Yes, if something as a bad adaptation, it is a bad anime. Especially when you NEED to read the manga to even understand anything that is going on. Remember when Doi showed Shu's diary to the entire school and embarrassed him, causing him to tell him he hates him later in episode 10? Oh, right, you never saw that happen because you didn't read the fucking manga, stupid.

I understand what's going on without reading the manga. Everything I needed to know has been implied. I don't need spoon-feeding.

And, about the adaptation thingie, Higurashi is a bad adaptation but, as opposed to Umineko, it's pretty decent as a stand-alone anime. Once again, bad as an adaptation =/= bad as a stand-alone anime. If you don't agree with this, say it in a nice manner. No more name-calling please.
Urufuzu_reinMar 25, 2011 4:35 PM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Mar 25, 2011 4:03 PM

Dec 2010
FFandMMfan said:

You made your stance clear, there's no need to keep insulting people that don't share your opinion.
Mar 25, 2011 4:25 PM
Dec 2008
Unlike most people here. I have to agree with the rating.
Fractale and Houro Musuko are boring in my opinion.
Especially compared to Mahou Shoujo Madoka. Damn the trolling.
Mar 25, 2011 4:28 PM

Nov 2007
fractale is quite decent

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Mar 25, 2011 4:30 PM

Oct 2009
This is just for last week right, not overall? It's not surprising that ratings would be lower given everything that's going on.

Fractale isn't my favorite show, but it's not bad by any means, it's pretty good actually. So it's surprising that it would get low ratings. Hourou Musuko definitely isn't everybody's cup of tea, but it's one of my favorites this season, so it's sad to see it not doing well.
Mar 25, 2011 4:32 PM

Jun 2009
Ah, that’s a shame. While I don’t really like Fractale as a whole, for it was mostly boring and trying to be “deep” when plot-holes were everywhere and let’s say the art is quite outdated, it isn’t entirely bad.

And, as things go for Hourou Musuko, it disappoints me that it has such low rating since it is a truly bold show, and IMHO, one that shows real life’s teenagers problems as they are, no sugar or sprinkles to make you see things in the best light. I feel it’s a great experience, my favorite of the season, even if for many it seems like a disgusting theme.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Mar 25, 2011 4:43 PM
Jan 2009
jpem said:
FFandMMfan said:
retrodarling said:
Sure, the anime cut out a ridiculous amount of chapters, but does that mean that the anime is bad?

then why give it a 7.

Because what it DOES cover, it covers decently. Now if you'll just look at what score I gave the manga...

Urufuzu_rein said:
FFandMMfan said:
Urufuzu_rein said:
HM is brilliantly directed and no manga readers could convince me otherwise.

Bad as an adaptation =/= bad as a stand-alone anime.

...You're an idiot. Yes, if something as a bad adaptation, it is a bad anime. Especially when you NEED to read the manga to even understand anything that is going on. Remember when Doi showed Shu's diary to the entire school and embarrassed him, causing him to tell him he hates him later in episode 10? Oh, right, you never saw that happen because you didn't read the fucking manga, stupid.

I understand what's going on without reading the manga. Everything I needed to know has been implied. I don't need spoon-feeding.

And, about the adaptation thingie, Higurashi is a bad adaptation but, as opposed to Umineko, it's pretty decent as a stand-alone anime. Once again, bad as an adaptation =/= bad as a stand-alone anime. If you don't agree with this, say it in a nice manner. No more name-calling please.

Higurashi is just as bad as Umineko is. The VNs for both spit upon their half-assed adaptations.
Mar 25, 2011 4:54 PM
Jul 2009
Iisan-kun said:

Now I just don't get why ratings matter so much.

By and large, noitaminA shows bomb on DVD/BD and have little merchandising potential. Without TV ratings, there's no financial reason for the slot to exist since the odds of producing a profitable series would be so low.

noitaminA was special in that it was a late night slot that could sustain itself via strong TV ratings.
Mar 25, 2011 4:57 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
How disappointing, though I wouldn't be surprised if these ratings were largely due to the current situation in Japan. Many of the series that have been on Notiamina are some of my favorites. It would be such a shame if it were to be canceled.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 25, 2011 5:13 PM

May 2010
Watching Hourou Musuko make me tired, especially when Nitori talks but overall it's pretty nice show. As for Fractale, watch and forget.
Mar 25, 2011 5:17 PM

Oct 2008
kuroshiroi said:
Aren't large parts of Japan without power still and focusing on other things? How do these numbers compare to other shows airing this week?

Not to mention, that who has time to watch anime when there are things to do like wait in line for hours for gas or help the people that need help, perform rescue operations, find the 10k+ still reported missing...

I think there are plenty of more important things than anime right now.

Oh, and the fact that food and water sources are becoming irradiated past healthy levels in some areas.
Mar 25, 2011 5:31 PM

Sep 2007
I prefer Rio Rainbow Gate to theses twos.
The proof : I continue to see Rio and not them. :D
Mar 25, 2011 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
FFandMMfan said:

if your gonna say it sucks, rate it accordingly or gtfo.
Mar 25, 2011 6:39 PM

Mar 2009
I haven't watched them both.
Mar 25, 2011 6:43 PM
Jan 2009
retrodarling said:
FFandMMfan said:
retrodarling said:

If chapters were cut out to the degree where shit literally did not make sense anymore, then fine, you could call it the worst adaptation ever. But Hourou Musuko is different in the sense that as an anime it works sufficiently without them.

THE.FIRST.FOUR.VOLUMES.WERE.ENTIRELY.SKIPPED.
Mar 25, 2011 6:46 PM

Apr 2010
sure they aint the best, but i didnt think they wher ethat bad... but lol maybe its cuz Noitimina just usual has such high ratings that normal ratings are too low for them >.<

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Mar 25, 2011 6:53 PM

Jun 2008
At first, I was really surprised about this o_o since both series seem to be well-liked - at least on the forums here... But then again, this is true:

Arcadies said:
Does this dude not realize most of his country is in emergency status and occupied with other things at the moment?
Mar 25, 2011 10:27 PM

Jul 2008
I thought Hourou Musuko was getting better...
First few episodes bored me out but recent episodes were less boring...
~Bokura wa deau tameni koko e umare ochita
Toki wo tsumugu tashikana uta ni michibikare habataku yo~
Mar 25, 2011 11:22 PM

Jul 2009
Fractale is terrible.
Mar 25, 2011 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
fri said:
Fractale has too many boring eps, or fillers, whatever you want to call them:
- a girl playing hide and seek,
- hacking board computer with an iPod,
- loitering around in a digital city,
- watching the laundry dry...
This is not how an interesting plot goes. And the "bad" characters are shown so rarely I barely know who's who. No wonder it didn't sell.

And, finally, Nessa is freaking annoying. I know most of you like her, but I just can't stand another series which is that much centered on a little brat. The fact that she has the voice of Yui makes it even worse.

Fractale would be better if it had 6 episodes. Like Aim for the Top! series.

this post +1

Wandering son is too mishandled to be called great

best in season
Level E and Madoka (no sh*t right?)
Mar 25, 2011 11:38 PM

Feb 2010
Well, it sure isn't one of my favorite noitamina seasons so far, but Fractale has a great concept and HM is very well executed (haven't read the manga and I don't care what they left out, it makes sense, though many things are implied and not shown on screen. But it seems it is a good thing I don't know the manga, otherwise I would maybe be unsatisfied too), but Noitamina shows don't seem to get the acknowledgement they deserve.
Next two seasons seem very promising too and with AnoHana I think there's a show that has a good chance to be successful with the mainstream too.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 26, 2011 3:31 AM

Oct 2009
O_o...I can't believe it...
I think that both of the anime are very great and interesting to watch.
I wish the rating of the last episodes will be higher.
Mar 26, 2011 3:56 AM

Sep 2008
Well, Fractale and Hourou Musuko are the worst NoitaminA anime I've ever seen. Yes, even worse than Shiki.

Hoping that C and Ano Hana, both next season, deliver and won't disappoint.
Mar 26, 2011 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
It's not like an earthquake and tsunami struck Japan that could be the cause of this. Nope, nope, nope.
Mar 26, 2011 1:47 PM

Nov 2007
KillerYandere said:
It's not like an earthquake and tsunami struck Japan that could be the cause of this. Nope, nope, nope.

Sure it had some effect, but the ratings were already very low before the earthquake:
*1.9%(--.-%) 01/13 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale (2.5%, new) - Hourou Musuko (1.4%, new)
*1.8%(*1.9%) 01/20 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
*1.6%(*1.8%) 01/27 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
*2.1%(*1.6%) 02/03 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
*1.5%(--.-%) 02/17 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
*2.1%(*1.5%) 02/24 25:00-26:00 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
cleoMar 26, 2011 4:42 PM
Mar 26, 2011 4:29 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
Hoppy said:

Excluding the radiation pollution of the food and water supply, Only 30-35% of the country is in the crisis area.

Yeah, it's only a third of an entire county, lol.

I think this news posting is dumb, not only because it's measuring popularity of late-night TV programs when Japan is in the middle of a national crisis, but it's also comparing the ratings of single episodes. Every show has a blah episode occasionally, so we shouldn't be using the ratings of a single airing of anything to make assumptions on overall popularity or quality of an anime series.

Nodame Canabile and Eden of the East? Seriously, those were two very popular animes in Noitamina's collection. Bringing them up as examples of poorly recieved programs only shows how flawed this methodology is.
Mar 26, 2011 8:31 PM

Oct 2008
Captain-Z said:
fri said:
Fractale has too many boring eps, or fillers, whatever you want to call them:
- a girl playing hide and seek,
- hacking board computer with an iPod,
- loitering around in a digital city,
- watching the laundry dry...
This is not how an interesting plot goes. And the "bad" characters are shown so rarely I barely know who's who. No wonder it didn't sell.

And, finally, Nessa is freaking annoying. I know most of you like her, but I just can't stand another series which is that much centered on a little brat. The fact that she has the voice of Yui makes it even worse.

Fractale would be better if it had 6 episodes. Like Aim for the Top! series.

this post +1

Wandering son is too mishandled to be called great

best in season
Level E and Madoka (no sh*t right?)

yeah pretty much
Mar 26, 2011 8:43 PM

Aug 2008
About one third of the country is in crisis; I'd expect TV shows to take a hit. In fact, it's a wonder that Fractale and Hourou Musuko are even airing, since I believe many anime were postponed due to extended coverage of the earthquake and tsunami.

But still, it's a shame. I don't wath HM, but Fractale is an interesting anime.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Mar 27, 2011 1:53 AM

Apr 2009
Fractale is shit, no surprise

H.Musuko well attracts only minimum , but i do like it
Mar 27, 2011 1:55 AM

Nov 2008
cleo said:
KillerYandere said:

Sure it had some effect, but the ratings were already very low before the earthquake:
*1.9%(--.-%) 01/13 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale (2.5%, new) - Hourou Musuko (1.4%, new)
*1.8%(*1.9%) 01/20 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
*1.6%(*1.8%) 01/27 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
*2.1%(*1.6%) 02/03 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
*1.5%(--.-%) 02/17 24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
*2.1%(*1.5%) 02/24 25:00-26:00 CX* noitaminA - Fractale - Hourou Musuko
Can you post the viewing figures for Madoka Magica as a reference? Madoka's first airing overlaps with Hourou Musuko and has a massive following in Japan.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 27, 2011 4:04 AM

Nov 2007
FOE-tan said:
Can you post the viewing figures for Madoka Magica as a reference? Madoka's first airing overlaps with Hourou Musuko and has a massive following in Japan.

*2.5% 01/06 (Thu) 1:25am-1:55am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica (New)
*3.0% 01/13 (Thu) 1:06am-1:36am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
*2.7% 01/20 (Thu) 1:35am-2:05am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
*1.9% 01/27 (Thu) 1:35am-2:05am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
*1.6% 02/03 (Thu) 2:01am-2:31am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
*3.2% 02/10 (Thu) 1:25am-1:55am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
*2.0% 02/17 (Thu) 1:25am-1:55am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
*2.0% 02/24 (Thu) 1:25am-1:55am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
*1.8% 03/03 (Thu) 1:25am-1:55am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
*2.5% 03/10 (Thu) 1:25am-1:55am MBS Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
-> these are the ratings for the 1st airing on MBS. After that there are several reruns on different channels and Niconico. A rating between 2-3 for a series broadcasted in a late-night timeslot means it's doing well.
The Noitamina ratings I posted earlier are the averages for the entire time-slot, the number between brackets being the rating of the week before. Fractale isn't doing that bad, but it's certainly not the hit Yamakan wanted it to be.

These are the average ratings of noitaminA shows to date.
Mar 27, 2011 10:29 AM

Dec 2008
Well, both shows have their anchors I think.
Fractale lacks in the animation department (they vary between shiny settings, and then some with no shine which is extremely irritable) and, in my honest opinion, some of its content. The show was really overrun by fanservice and everything's so nice and wonderful for the most part, that I can't help but think thats all of this is REALLY mauling the dark parts over. This show isn't suited for darkness like deaths and such, so its unbelievably out of place. Mind you I like the addition of the darkness, but it feels like its thrown in to me. Like 'Happy, happy, DEATH, more happy, I'm so overjoyed!' Its a bit unnerving to be quite honest.

Wandering Son on the other hand has fantastic animation, but I find it a bit lacking because its pace is somewhat slow to me, and honestly they shouldn't have started where they did in the show.
I started reading the manga and find it loads more addicting than the show. :s;

But I would've thought Fractale would be getting lower ratings than Wandering Son because of Fractale's director's comments. What a jerk. :|
Mar 27, 2011 11:42 AM

Jan 2008
Eka said:

But I would've thought Fractale would be getting lower ratings than Wandering Son because of Fractale's director's comments. What a jerk. :|

The subject matter of Wandering turned many MANY people off even before watching it. The slow pace and skipping of 4 manga volumes killed off a lot of viewers too.
Mar 27, 2011 12:00 PM

Oct 2008
So will Yamakan retire?
Mar 27, 2011 1:37 PM

Nov 2008
DmonHiro said:
Eka said:

The subject matter of Wandering turned many MANY people off even before watching it. The slow pace and skipping of 4 manga volumes killed off a lot of viewers too.
The overlap with the first Madoka broadcast won't be doing it any favors either, even if subsequent airings of Madoka allow people to watch both. I can imagine viewers watching Fractale on Fuji, then switching to MBS for Madoka, seeing as Madoka probably has more appeal for Fractale watchers than Hourou Musuko does.

The figures posted are collective figures for both shows, though, so Hourou MIGHT have more viewers than Fractale, but it is highly unlikely, at least among the traditional "otaku" viewer base. The more casual base that noitaminA is supposed to target may prefer HM though if they don't mind the gender identity issues it deals with (Fractale can look like a generic fanservice anime if you switch to it at the wrong time).
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 28, 2011 5:02 AM

Jul 2009
Aezile said:
Hourou Musuko is made for adults, not children.

Idd.
Mar 29, 2011 12:43 AM

Mar 2009
Man, after watching Hourou Musuko, I gotta say it really doesn't deserve to get such a low rating.. in my opinion. It's pretty good actually.
Mar 31, 2011 11:56 AM
Apr 2010
with everything going on in Japan, this is no surprise
Mar 31, 2011 1:30 PM

Apr 2008
Oh well, Fractale is still one of the best series from the winter season.
And it has the cutest girl from the season xD

HM is great too.

Apr 1, 2011 10:17 AM
Jan 2009
do yea think he might retire ?
Apr 1, 2011 5:53 PM
Aug 2010
the 2 best shows this season
Apr 1, 2011 6:47 PM
Dec 2007
mikezilla2 said:
do yea think he might retire ?
I hope so, he completely fail with Fractale. Anyone who can look objectively at the ending will realize all the holes in the story and how aimless the pacing and direction was. In the end we never even found out how that damned Fractale System works (let alone why it needs defiled teenage girls to work).

Apr 1, 2011 11:09 PM

Aug 2009
^ Sadly;

[TS: Thank you. It's not like the company is being shut down, so there are scheduled new-series! Please anticipate!]

---

Anyways, viewer rating is simple. If series is boring, people don't watch. Simple as that.
Apr 1, 2011 11:11 PM

Feb 2010
I've only seen one episode of Hourou Musuko, so I can't comment on it. But I have seen Fractale, and it was, overall, a disappointment. That's not to say it was bad, just underwhelming, and it wasted its potential. I can understand the low ratings.
Apr 2, 2011 3:04 AM

Nov 2007
ringoo4 said:
^ Sadly;
[TS: Thank you. It's not like the company is being shut down, so there are scheduled new-series! Please anticipate!]

He's the founder of Studio Ordet, they did Fractale together. The company not shutting down, doesn't mean Yamakan will continue.
The studio is as much to blame though. Yamakan took responsibilty for the show, but he didn't write the script and didn't develop the characters. We can thank Okada Mari for the awkward pacing. Ofcourse Yamakan had his hand in the production, but he only did the storyboard for the 1st ep.

I hope this'll teach him not to be such a drama-queen.
I'll be sad if he really retires though. Despite it's flaws, I still prefer Fractale with it's attempt of a clever story over fluff like Dragon Crisis.
Apr 3, 2011 7:28 AM

Oct 2008
Deathinteresse said:
the 2 best shows this season

*cough* Madoka *cough*
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

12 by _ATG_ »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
10 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
12 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 1:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.