Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2011 5:45 AM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The owl of San Melidar, simply the best story of the whole manga, the OVA was incredibly good
Jul 22, 2011 10:08 PM

May 2010
There are so many episodes about war in this anime, I wonder if it's because Tezuka (or Dezaki) saw war as the foil to the life mission of a doctor? Once again, as usual, an amazing episode. How can you go wrong pairing a legendary director with a legendary story-writer?
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 16, 2013 12:50 AM

Jul 2008
I admit I shed a tear or two, damn that "priest" to hell. This story was so tragic and beautiful at the same time, absolutely wonderful.
Mar 23, 2014 1:13 PM

Jun 2010
It's interesting that this episode, unlike other Black Jack stuff, actually takes seriously the concept that Pinoco is not a child. I especially like how her internal narration doesn't have the high-pitched lisp her normal dialogue has. I prefer the character this way; it's much more interesting that her just being a goofy kid. Her resigned sadness at knowing that Black Jack or Leslie can't see her as a woman is poignant.

The dream sequence when Leslie was having his operation was pretty stunning.
FronzelMar 23, 2014 1:17 PM
Oct 18, 2015 9:06 AM

Sep 2012
Best episode so far
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Nov 26, 2015 3:22 PM

Jan 2010

I'm a huge fan of theatrics and effort put into cinematography, and the Black Jack OVAs have yet to disappoint. I love seeing Black Jack constantly challenged as a character, a doctor, and a person with these cases. They force him to become personally invested, and no matter how skilled he is, things never seem to work out perfectly. At the same time, it's never outright depressing, and the episodes always end with "and the story goes on." Each case is interesting, the people encountered feel fully developed and human, and most importantly, Black Jack is unable to always perform miracles. Unlike the main TV series, he's less of a plot device to keep things happy and more of a vain character trying to salvage what's left of his own humanity.

A few things did stick out to me though that bugged me. The priest who called the military, why was he upset that Ernesto was executed when he was probably gonna be executed anyways after the trial? How did the priest order the soldiers left behind help with Ernesto's surgery? Where was it shown that the priest had the authority to order them around, especially after their superior had Ernesto shot immediately?

Those qualms aside, it's also interesting to see a blend of science and faith here, which is always fun to play around with. I greatly enjoyed this episode, as I have the previous episodes, though I admit each episode leaves me exhausted. 45 minutes worth of heavy material is hard to digest, so I can't imagine myself watching more than one episode in a single sitting.
May 12, 2016 1:53 AM

Mar 2012
It was pretty interesting until they explained how he ended up getting treated. Rather than it being a psychological reason to his spasms it was more of a supernatural one. So he starts having hallucinations of this women and her child which leads to spasms that open his wounds from when he was a baby just because the doctor used some skin and small parts of her organs to save him? Pretty iffy stuff.

Also found it odd how the fake priest did a 180 and wanted to save Ernesto and even salutes him when he died. Like is this guy an idiot? Does he not know the people he's working for? Hell he himself looked pretty evil by trying to send an old man to jail who was just trying to save people's lives during the civil war.
Jan 28, 2017 5:45 PM

Oct 2014
this episode was fucking great.
Jul 20, 2017 4:10 PM
Jul 2016
Dat russian! Довольно забавно видеть эти надписи, надеюсь Осама не имел ввиду ничего плохого.
Apr 2, 2018 10:13 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
CRIES! AMAZING! @_@
張大です for 張大勇督察
Aug 8, 2018 11:23 AM

Dec 2015
Today's client is... Furuya Tôru !! As soon as I heard him, I knew I would love the episode.

Between Pinoko's game and the nice war aspect and the discussion about medical miracles, it could have been great. But the very religious / supernatural kin of miracle that happened prevented me to find it as good as it could have been.

No problem with the "priest", he's in line with what he fought for.

4/5
Rei_IIIAug 8, 2018 11:27 AM
Nov 29, 2018 7:52 PM

Feb 2013
One of the best episodes I've watched, felt and got touched by.
Mar 3, 2019 8:55 PM

Oct 2012
I was expecting donor recipient
I guess that was right
I don't know whether it works like that in real life or not
But in media it's potrayed as "you can hear the voices you never heard of", "you have the memory you shoudn't have", "you keep seeing person you never know"

That was very sad
A doctor saved hundreds of lives, only to be killed like that
I was hoping he can be saved with the surgery :(
"Signature removed"
Nov 5, 2023 7:35 AM
Jan 2021
ernesto is a miracle worker

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 9 Discussion

YRFdez - May 14, 2011

11 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Feb 10, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 2 Discussion

YRFdez - Feb 28, 2011

16 by Ionliosite2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 9:37 AM

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 7 Discussion

Dalinh - Apr 8, 2010

14 by TRC_Randy »»
Dec 1, 2023 6:31 PM

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 6 Discussion

anime_daisuki - Jun 29, 2010

12 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:44 AM

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 12 Discussion

Monochrome - Mar 7, 2012

12 by kAt960 »»
Nov 18, 2023 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.