Forum Settings
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 14, 2011 2:41 AM
Dec 2010
Greetings,

Recently I started watching the Spice and Wolf anime, and am currently half way through the second season. I read that the last volume of the light novels was released a few days ago, and I am curious about the end.

I live in europe and possess no knowledge in japanese whatsoever, so with the release schedule by Yen Press it will take another ~seven years for me to be able to enjoy the whole series.

So on to the topic: Could any member of our community, that read the last volume tell me how it ends? I mean, is it a good/bad/indefinite end? Do the end up together? Are they continuing traveling? Or is it maybe the classic "one dies, the other lives forever after" type of end? I know that this is a bit selfish of a request but it has been bothering me as of late, and waiting another seven years to get the answer surely will get the best of me soon.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2011 1:59 AM
Jan 2011
Veruz said:
Greetings,

Recently I started watching the Spice and Wolf anime, and am currently half way through the second season. I read that the last volume of the light novels was released a few days ago, and I am curious about the end.

I live in europe and possess no knowledge in japanese whatsoever, so with the release schedule by Yen Press it will take another ~seven years for me to be able to enjoy the whole series.

So on to the topic: Could any member of our community, that read the last volume tell me how it ends? I mean, is it a good/bad/indefinite end? Do the end up together? Are they continuing traveling? Or is it maybe the classic "one dies, the other lives forever after" type of end? I know that this is a bit selfish of a request but it has been bothering me as of late, and waiting another seven years to get the answer surely will get the best of me soon.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

Actually I haven't read the novel since I'm German and cannot buy it here; however I have some contact with author Hasekura and when I asked him in person he said: THIS ISN'T THE END!

So basically, they will continue travelling together after solving the intrigue of the 16:th book, and a 17:th short story will be released in summer, and THAT is when the real countdown begins. You know what the ending is? Hasekura told me nothing but this: It won't be nearly similar to what ANYONE expects.
Apr 13, 2011 11:39 PM
Jul 2018
Well, the vol 17 is more like an Add On or Spin offl.

the end of the novel is kind of bittersweet.

Thats it, i personally liked it, is kind of bittersweet and lovely, with the couple together and all, but with a deeper meaning behind, now we are waiting for novel 17 to see what is going to be about.

sry my english btw
Apr 14, 2011 1:48 PM
Dec 2010
Thank you! Thank you both very much!

Indeed, bittersweet and lovely - Catering to the fans in one aspect but going stating that nothing is fixed. I think that kind of end would suit Horo best after meeting Lawrence and getting over her fear of being lonely. Once people get to know the feeling of companionship they hardly live without it I guess ;)
Feb 23, 2012 6:02 AM
Feb 2012
Uhhh.. Did anything 'special' happen to them along their journey?
Mar 24, 2012 8:50 AM
Jul 2010
I just went through volume 17, this is probably one of my favourite romance endings to date.

Major spoilers to the ending below.

Other spoilers

Hopefully Yen Press will continue their english publications and translate all 17 volumes, I have the five released so far and the sixth is released this june which I will also buy.
HmmmmmmmmmmmMar 24, 2012 8:56 AM
Mar 24, 2012 10:09 AM

Jun 2007
Much appreciation for sharing the above, Ratty. It'll take a lifetime for the manga to even finish in Japan, going on its 3 vol = 1 novel pacing and bi-monthly (afaik?) releases, and Yen Press aren't exactly rushing to release the novels--only @ 5/17 in around three years. 'Tis a bother.

That Howo baby image is cute-funny. I'm quite taken with it. It's no doubt a nice reward for having endured so little intimate advancements (A FUCKING PRE-TEEN CHEEK KISS, AFTER FIVE VOLUMES!?)... but just how long do readers have to wait before they mate? Surely not until the very end, as in most romances, without any good reason? And what of 'human or wolf?' offspring concerns?
AironicallyHumanMar 24, 2012 10:14 AM
Mar 24, 2012 6:44 PM
Jul 2010
@Airo

It wasn't a cheek kiss, he brushed his nose against hers which in the wolf world is as significant as a human kiss, hence why her eyes quivered so much.

The romance increases after volume 5 by a lot, though it is indeed paced slowly and gradually.

There's one fantastic scene when

In the end, the two have very little knowledge of romance, if you remember when holo was teasing lawrence about all the men she's got the colour of, and when he asked she sulked > She had none before him. Furthermore, Holo is unwilling to advance in a relationship because she knows well that in a blink of an eye lawrence will die in front of her and she states that she isn't unfamiliar with death, but she implies that she's never grieved before.
HmmmmmmmmmmmMar 24, 2012 6:47 PM
Mar 25, 2012 10:39 AM
Dec 2010
DrRatekkusu, my thanks. Your reply gave me some nice closure in addition to what I already knew. Now I just need to have the patience to wait for all of the novels to be translated. Aaaah... I feel like rewatching S&W. Once V6 releases I will order the first bunch I reckon.
Mar 25, 2012 10:45 AM
Jul 2010
Well Yen Press released an official announcement that they intend to translate and release all 17 volumes, however we'll see how that goes.
Worst case scenario is that they start skipping some or merging them, but I doubt that will happen in contrary to releasing only one a year or just stopping releases entirely.

The other problem is that book sales tend to go down as sequels carry on, so Yen Press need to make a decision about whether or not they want to risk publishing the entire series, furthermore because it's being released for the western world, you can see that they sell the LNs with a cosplay dust jacket as to avoid book stores classifying it as manga.

Imo they should release three a year to keep up with the sales gap margin but that's just my opinion, all in all it was a good run and I'm certainly going to be buying the artbook collection.

I really wished they'd animate the last volume though, especially in her
Dec 21, 2013 1:34 AM

Dec 2012
You know i'd love for the ending to be something along the lines of "they find a way to make lawrence live as long as horo using some sort of ritual or they find a way to make horo human and live with lawrence aging with him" idk... i just feel like this story would be better with a happy ending than a bittersweet one :/
Ǝ W ˙˙ ɹ ∀ Ǝ Ⅎ
Apr 5, 2014 5:48 AM

Jan 2013
Demonshaw17 said:
You know i'd love for the ending to be something along the lines of "they find a way to make lawrence live as long as horo using some sort of ritual or they find a way to make horo human and live with lawrence aging with him" idk... i just feel like this story would be better with a happy ending than a bittersweet one :/

I agree with ^

so what I understand from this is that Lawrence will die and Horo/Holo will be with someone else ?? is that right ?? if so I think my tiny heart has been totally obliterated </3 .

P.S : No one likes to be forgotten or replaced.
Rage5110Apr 5, 2014 6:01 AM

"We are Anonymous, We are Legion, We do not forgive, We do not Forget, Expect Us."

Apr 16, 2014 6:41 AM

Feb 2014
Rage5110 said:

so what I understand from this is that Lawrence will die and Horo/Holo will be with someone else ?? is that right ?? if so I think my tiny heart has been totally obliterated </3 .

I have no idea why people are being pessimistic with the ending.
Here's my take:
Apr 22, 2014 11:23 AM

Jun 2012
Alencia said:
Rage5110 said:

I have no idea why people are being pessimistic with the ending.
Here's my take:

Well said.
May 24, 2014 10:10 AM

Oct 2013
The ending was definitely masterful befitting for a true masterpiece.
My thoughts doesn't differ that much from the ones above and I would just like to add the following
louigel017May 24, 2014 10:23 AM
Life is a song - sing it.
Life is a game - play it.
Life is a challenge - meet it.
Life is a dream - realize it.
Life is a sacrifice - offer it.
Life is love - enjoy it.
Jul 6, 2014 3:00 PM
Jan 2014
Do they get a child in the end? Im planning on buying the whole light novel series after I just finished the two anime seasons. What I've read is that the LN is better than the manga?

I wish they actually make more seasons of the anime, but i suppose that is wishfull thinking.
Jul 17, 2014 1:42 AM
Jul 2014
themorry said:
Do they get a child in the end? Im planning on buying the whole light novel series after I just finished the two anime seasons. What I've read is that the LN is better than the manga?

I wish they actually make more seasons of the anime, but i suppose that is wishfull thinking.

Additional anime seasons will probably not happen because the animations usually serve as advertisement for the light novels. Considering the light novels have all been published and ended, there's no need for additional advertising unless there's a major, major money maker there for the studio.

As for the ending... I think it's been posted above already, but I'll talk about it anyway.

There you have it.
m0xJul 17, 2014 1:45 AM
Sep 17, 2014 4:59 AM

Feb 2012
And a wonderfull image for the end:
(Spoiler)

ZellossSep 17, 2014 5:43 AM
Sep 22, 2014 2:27 PM
Jul 2010
Zelloss said:
And a wonderfull image for the end:
(Spoiler)

Hey, where is that last image from? I own the artbook and this wasn't in there
Oct 15, 2014 3:15 PM
Apr 2011
I think that would be a perfect end to the story... also don't think Holo would get into another relationship after lawrence. I think the osen and her daughter will become her happyness and ultimately ensures that Holo would not feel lonely and its not like Holo fell for Lawrence overnight it was slow and sweet i feel like it'd take a real stunner to get her love after Lawrence.
Oct 16, 2014 3:26 PM
Oct 2014
Hi to all from russian and ukrainian funs of our pretty wolf ^_^
Because we have no translated ranobe after 12 part, some of us in their desire to know what happened next turned to the English translation.

I read some spoilers:

and interesting for that:

p.s. this ending really bittersweet !
Oct 18, 2014 10:47 PM
Nov 2013
Tayau said:
I just went through volume 17, this is probably one of my favourite romance endings to date.

Major spoilers to the ending below.

Other spoilers

Hopefully Yen Press will continue their english publications and translate all 17 volumes, I have the five released so far and the sixth is released this june which I will also buy.

I'd really love to support this series by buying their LN . But , sadly getting one of those is nearly impossible for me . I have watched the anime and finished the 2nd season . Though , I was just wondering if it is possible to read the remainder of Spice and Wolf Light novels online are there any with translation and such ? . Rather than just reading the manga and I ended up getting lost in the chapters plus I don't think the manga is even completed yet .

===Update===

Nevermind , I found all the novels with all 17 volumes ! Translated! Winter is coming . I'll achieve nothing in this coming few months !
xAnimeNexusOct 18, 2014 11:00 PM
Oct 26, 2014 6:49 AM

May 2011
Lovely ending ... I cant believe i waited so long to finally spoil the ending for myself ... ending was definitely good now if only we can remove the #3 comment by colors to make it sweet sweet ... and btw they would definitely have more kids so no bitterness here only pure vanilla stuff
Dec 1, 2014 11:40 AM

Oct 2011
Hi guys!

I have a question regarding the end of S&W :

Thanks in advance for your explanation !
Dec 4, 2014 9:21 AM

Feb 2012
I can reply.

The boy is just Col. ;)
Dec 5, 2014 9:49 AM

Oct 2011
Oh, so he's just a supporting character?

Thank you for your reply! ^^
Jan 3, 2015 2:48 PM
Jan 2011
About Holo and a 3 questions of my

Jan 10, 2015 1:08 AM

Feb 2012
For your questions

Jan 11, 2015 9:03 AM
Jul 2011
So what Codes said is lie, right?

It did not end like : -"Honey, when I die, find someone else, I don't care."
-"Okay dear, I will"

Cause that is not right... it can't end like that :(
Jan 15, 2015 11:37 AM
Feb 2013
I gotta wonder if she is actually going to take a new companion someday or if her children are enough for her? Would really change my view on the character and story.
Jan 31, 2015 10:16 AM

Feb 2013
Haha I don't think you know how at peace I am now that I know the story ending! I finished watching the anime back in 20012 and it has been killing me ever since to know what happened. Since there will be no season 3, I started reading the LNs earlier this week. Knowing the ending is like a huge craving that has finally been satisfied after 3 years of yearning. Thank you so much to all of you who've commented earlier regarding then ending!!
Jan 31, 2015 10:37 AM

Feb 2013
I can't wait until I read through the books and get to experience the ending myself!
Jan 31, 2015 4:29 PM

Aug 2014
TheMorningSage said:
I can't wait until I read through the books and get to experience the ending myself!

yeah i can't wait to read it myself, reading some earlier comments kinda make me depressed
Mar 22, 2015 9:40 AM
Feb 2015
I've only watched the anime and was wondering, does Holo tell Lawrence she loves him? I know she does of course but was just curious about if she ever said it.
Apr 19, 2015 4:49 AM

Apr 2015
Apologies in advance, don't know how to do the show/hide spoilers dealio, so there will be some in here.

Wanted to clarify a few things.

In response to Arty: I'm pretty sure the deity in question is actually a half human/half god encountered in volume 16. He too had extended life of some sort it appeared, and had married and out lived a normal human woman, whose grave he now watched over. They didn't show the part where he talked with Holo, and tbh I'm not sure how much of a difference it made at that point, but she got a perspective on the whole situation with her and Lawrence.

What Norah needed from Holo.. lol. Remember earlier when Norah and Diana were talking? It seemed as though her dog Enek was very dear to her, 'almost' in a way like that of Lawrence and Holo. It seemed very odd, to say the least, since Enek doesn't have a human form.. Diana asked why Norah wanted to see Lawrence and Holo and if she wanted to ask about that situation. She said no she just wanted to see them, but that's what is being referred to in that spot.

To LelouchvB94. She does indeed tell him she loves him, in volume 14 I believe near the end. He then misreads the situation to the point where he's kissing her neck (they're in an alleyway) and she ends up punching him so hard in the jaw he can't talk or move his face without being in intense pain :p

To Cloudedshadow: Nothing to be depressed about. Great story great ending everything works out and everyone is happy :p It is very emotional, but not in a bad way. Makes you a little envious perhaps :D the only complaint I have in the whole series is that with the way the anime ended I thought the light novels would ramp up the same way. Until volume 14 however it pretty much levels off, with there being a bit of character development here and a bit of relationship development there. In fact, it seems to be less then the story up to that point. Don't get me wrong, it's a good read still, but different then expected for sure. However, once you hit that volume 14 it becomes very cute, and makes the rest all worth it. If they ever did a season 3, I would tell them to to do one episode filling in some of the middle story, and then do volume 14 to 17. Would fit in very well with the way the anime was heading.

Sorry for the wall of text :)
Apr 19, 2015 4:19 PM
Feb 2015
To Darkllyd thanks so much for replying. I've just rewatched Spice and Wolf and that was a question that still bothered me.
Apr 19, 2015 9:33 PM

Apr 2015
Happy to help :) I know how important these things are, it's why I've spent the last two weeks doing almost nothing else but reading the light novels. Must.. find out!!
Jun 25, 2015 1:44 PM
Jun 2015
I watched anime and i really want to buy novels...but i want to know only one more thing.....did horo meet one of her wolf friends during the story?.....sorry for my english:)
Jul 23, 2015 6:47 AM
Jul 2015
Thank you to all that posted and clarified it all. I to have not long ago finished S&W anime and was so annoyed to see they left it at the best part with no intentions of continuing the anime. I am just now in the middle of volume 4 of the light novels but really wanted to know what happens between them. I must say that even though she outlives him and was known from the start she would, the thought of her with another man just destroys it all for me but the insight and opinions of all that have said she wouldnt be with another man has comforted me greatly. Its still really sad that Lawrence has to be outlived. I will still read the light novels to the end for the experience but again, thank you to all for your imput. Im such a big Holo fan (name says all) and I think the company should have finished the anime as it seems to draw me in more as I see and hear Holo being Holo but what can you do. Again, thank you.

Ps. Just thinking of Holo with another man makes me incredibly sad.
Biggest_Holo_FanJul 23, 2015 6:51 AM
Jul 23, 2015 7:14 AM
Jul 2015
Spice and Wolf will always hold a special place in my heart. Holo will hold the most though. Best anime ever in my eyes.
Jul 27, 2015 7:07 AM
May 2013
Just finished Vol17. I was expecting to fall into a bit of depression after ending it, being sad that it ends, but when I read the last line, it all felt so heartwarming that my mood didn't die. Then, moments later, I checked out the artbook online. My heart sank so hard, I started choking and tears filled my eyes T_T Given the ideas of the story, realising that it's all over now just destroyed me. Such a beautiful story, felt like a fairy tale at the end.
Jul 27, 2015 7:15 AM

Feb 2015
WAIT, they have a kid in the end? I'm need answer!
Feb 17, 2016 11:05 AM
Feb 2016
can someone tell me how and when did holo found her home village ? if she did ? and what comes next ?
Mar 28, 2016 6:05 PM
Mar 2016
For anyone that wants to know the end I will clear it up

Mar 29, 2016 6:32 AM

Apr 2008
Darn it, I was piling all my chips on...

Anyway, english translated volume 17 is scheduled to be released 19th april! Not to mention the new announcement in regards to 10th anniversary of Spice & Wolf. We will be getting a new volume 18! Woohoo
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Apr 7, 2016 2:09 PM
Jul 2018
I finished my reading of the novels and i'm so happy about the ending was a beautiful end, i even dropped some manly tears on my desk... now the desk is growing beard

And about..

It's both satisfying and sad come to a end after such a journey through those 17 volumes, i really enjoyed the work of Isuna the themes that he approaches in the books like loneliness e the usage of the economics to solve the problems, between other stuff..

but happily april 9 the sequel already announced (which i think probably is some side stories like the side colors) will start to be published.. so i think is a very good time to be fan of spice and wolf
Apr 9, 2016 4:02 AM
Mar 2013
Is what happened below is true? D:

Apr 9, 2016 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
Dump said:
Is what happened below is true? D:

Yes, it is..

Jul 10, 2016 6:19 AM
Oct 2011

i followed the link and to tell you the truth i can't understand it, is this prologue of the sequel?
Aug 23, 2016 3:58 AM

May 2012
WTF? why the fuck would the author just kill Holo? why would he just write something again just to kill her thats messed up, still with the new sequel about Holo's and Lawrence's daughter coming I dont think this is right will need 2 wait for a translation.

Truly, comparisons between fellow humans are what turn out to be the most infuriating.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» New anime project announced. Teaser PV released.

AngeloMC21 - Feb 25, 2022

7 by Amatsukaze24 »»
Jul 1, 3:23 AM

» Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 4

JeremiahOrange - Nov 2, 2023

1 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 8, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 1

removed-user - Apr 9, 2016

4 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 23, 2023 9:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Chapter 3 Discussion

TripleSRank - Nov 19, 2015

1 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:32 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Chapter 2 Discussion

TripleSRank - Nov 17, 2015

3 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.