Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2010 1:22 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Surely the Joestars' abode contains some sort of projectile-like weapon Jojo knows the location of to blow Dio's head off. Yes, that would be satisfying.
AlipioDec 19, 2010 1:27 AM
Sep 27, 2012 9:28 PM

Feb 2008
Now he's killing the father? Glad that JoJo noticed.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 2, 2014 8:53 PM

Jun 2014
Dio went for it. Go JoJo!
Apr 10, 2016 12:44 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Time for JoJo to corner that bastard.

4/5
May 5, 2016 4:54 AM

Aug 2014
Scumbag Dio strikes again.
Jul 10, 2017 6:49 AM
Mar 2015
I figured that Dio poisoned Lord Joestar, but his own father too?!
Dec 18, 2017 5:37 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Gio is poising at Mr Joestar!!! :/
Feb 4, 2018 7:34 AM

Dec 2015
crocodileman94 said:
but his own father too?!

Well, that was the best way to get a life and take revenge for what the man did/was.

4/5
Apr 29, 2018 1:07 AM

Feb 2017
Ancient blood-drinking masks are not a toy, JoJo.
May 9, 2018 6:22 AM

Dec 2015
Dio caught red-handed!!

eski514 said:
Ancient blood-drinking masks are not a toy, JoJo.
Well, he IS studying archeology, so I don't blame him for being curious about the mask.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 1, 2018 9:52 AM

May 2016
Seeing them work together made me feel a bit down because they really did look like a great pair save for the part where they secretly hate each other. Jonathan and Dio both turned out to be buff as fuck, especially the former and it was interesting to see them pick up archaelogy and law respectively.

I remembered Dio secretly trying to poison Lord Joestar but it was like the first time I found out that he actually poisoned his father and was slowly poisoning George right until that point so I was shocked. Does this bastard have no bounds?

Dec 2, 2018 3:27 AM

Feb 2013
Haha, I knew they couldn't be friends.
Dio was the one who killed his father and he's doing the same thing again.
Aug 26, 2019 6:47 PM

Jun 2016
This was my favourite chapter yet, it was the first one to keep me constantly engaged. Firstly, the intrigue of Dio’s long game where we got to see how he was getting along and even praising Jonathan, where we got to see Jonathan's trauma and grudge against Dio for what he did despite him rationalizing that it was his imagination. The fact that we saw through Dio’s thoughts that this was a long game, further we saw how he was intentionally manipulating Jonathan by calling Lord Joestar father vocally yet refusing to call him that inside of his head. It made me wonder, why would Dio start to act friendly with him for seven years after he intentionally did everything he could to hurt Jonathan. But if we reach back we can see that Jonathan was able to fight back, he had almost won, further by losing Dio almost threw away everything by stabbing Jonathan in the open. I think from that he reflected on his weakness of anger and decided going forward it would be best not to fight Jonathan so openly. Instead the long game started. One of acting friendly to Jonathan all these years despite the fact that he views Jonathan as trash that he is above. Now we can see the fruition of his plan, he's old enough that he can get all the benefit and control over the Joestar money so after sitting back for these years he's ready to kill Lord Joestar the same way he killed his father. The twist at the end got me incredibly hyped, and the sequence off Jonathan’s shocked anger and Dio’s classic cold determination was my favorite art of the series yet!

Then there's the interesting paths that the characters chose, Dio pursuing law presumably for the money involved as that is one of his major goals, Jonathan not pursuing money necessarily but rather acting out of intrigue and personal connection with his archaeology. As he said it, he's the only one who understands the function of the mask as he saw it activate in his fight with Dio 7 years ago, and it was the final thing his mother purchased before she passed away which is the personal connection. I also suspect akin to how most people have been drawn to it questionably, like why Jonathan's parents would even buy such a mask or why Dio would be fascinated by it, that it may be drawing Jonathan in the same way..

Lastly, the fact that the father called Dio his own son, he accepts him and love him as family, and that's not enough for Dio kind of hurts. He literally has prestige, wealth, and a loving family but that's not enough, it's like he has to prove his worth. To prove he's better than everyone else. It's vaguely understandable seeing that he came up probably feeling very worthless but it sucks to see him throwing all of that away when it's very easy to envision him having a very happy life without hurting anyone.
Nov 23, 2019 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
The encounter on the stairs was done perfectly. A very good chapter! The stone mask awaits.
Jan 20, 2021 11:35 PM
Nov 2020
So far this is the best chapter of Phantom Blood. So much happened and everything is essential in some way.

In the beginning, we see the two young men playing, we see what have they become.

after that they heading home where the old and sick old Joestar is.

The boys talk to him, than we see Jonathan researching the stone mask and while doing that, he founds a letter what Dio's father wrote to Jonathan's father when he was sick.

Overall I really liked this chapter and it's a really good "intro" for the rest of the part.
Jan 24, 2021 6:20 PM

Sep 2011
Even poisoning his own father just to get his fortune. At least Jotaro found about it before was too late.
Nov 26, 2022 6:46 PM
Nov 2022
I knew it. FUCK DIO!
Mar 28, 2023 8:27 PM

Oct 2017
art on the manga soo nice. couldn't stop reading
Jun 12, 2023 5:19 PM
Jun 2023
jojo and dio now are adults!!!
Aug 3, 2023 11:19 PM

Dec 2022
oh hell no Dio is behind everything this dude just keeps getting scummier and scummier
Nov 8, 2023 4:26 AM

Apr 2020
Curious what poison he used

More topics from this board

» Debunking Araki Forgot by Hamon Beat

animalia - Apr 11

0 by animalia »»
Apr 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 1 Discussion

accela - Sep 1, 2009

33 by Yassinecss »»
Mar 14, 6:47 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 7 Discussion

Alipio - Dec 19, 2010

20 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:38 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

31 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:35 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 4 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

26 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.