Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Dec 3, 2010 9:16 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Takumi Ichinose (NANA)

MAL Character Information Page: Takumi Ichinose

MAL Favorites: 243

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Takumi Ichinose was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
13 Yes - 39.3%
20 No - 60.6%

36 Don't know this character - 48.6% of the total number polled
5 Abstained - 6.7% of the total number polled
santetjanDec 17, 2010 7:42 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 3, 2010 10:18 AM

Apr 2008
He is definitely the most fascinating, intriguing and complex character in Nana. He manages to turn the situation upside down when he asks Hachi to marry him. He is a playboy, one would think that he is the last person to start up a family, yet he makes this unexpected move. The only woman he deeply cares about, Reira, is the one with whom he never slept. These, in my opinion, very human contradictions are satisfactorily explained in the Takumi Side Story, where the motivation behind his puzzling behaviour is revealed.

All this is why I consider Takumi to be an excellent addition to the relations list.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Dec 3, 2010 12:48 PM

Dec 2007
This character was able to do what I admire most: generate girls night discussions at the dinner's table.

So, I'm voting yes.

In our debates, me and my girl friends concluded that he's a bastard, only good to look at, and eventually play around, but that should die a lonely and gruesome death away from everything he ever owned.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 4, 2010 5:33 AM

Aug 2008
Based on the anime, no. He's just there to mix things up, with little rhyme or reason. I'd like to know what revelations the Takumi side story has.
Dec 4, 2010 6:50 AM

Apr 2008
@noteDhero It starts from the moment when he meets Layla and is told from his point of view, so it provides an insight into his thoughts. Knowing his background, helps to understand logic behind his action.

After reading this chapter I understand why he married Hachi. She is the type of person that wants a warm and happy home, that kind of home he didn't have as a child. It also explains why he made Trapnest and why Layla is so important to him, to the point of not wanting her to be soiled.

If you want to read it, you can read it, it's about his past, so it doesn't matter if you have only seen the anime.
http://tenmanga.com/chapter/NanaTakumiSideStory/172979-5.html
Lain666Dec 4, 2010 6:56 AM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Dec 4, 2010 8:45 AM

Oct 2007
I despise this man so much, that alone is worthy of a "yes".

without him, hachi would have never turned out to be such an amazing character.
Dec 4, 2010 11:59 AM

Oct 2007
@Confucius, hachi is a great character. I mean, especially when compared to how everyone else ended up :P (nana getting all emo depressive blahblah, ren.....yeah, reira being a slut....etcetc)

As much as I hate takumi he's got some redeeming qualities, which show a lot after sachiko is born. He stepped up to the responsibility of raising a family with hachi (when nobu didnt/couldnt) even though they really don't have feelings for each other. Obviously, even though he lives (in the present time) far away from hachi with their other child they still maintain a decent family relationship -- since neither one of them really expects anything out of the other. Takumi treats hachi well, but he is by no means an ideal husband.. he just made the best out of a sticky situation.

now him/reira/ren... that's just a hot mess.
Dec 4, 2010 12:11 PM

Apr 2008
I don't have any problem with the fact that Takumi was breaking windows. Neglected children resort to violence in order to compensate for their impotency with deviant behavior to ask for attention.
Confucius said:

Every girl in the school falls for him because he is pretty?

You exeggarete.
Dec 4, 2010 1:19 PM

Jun 2009
Well, the cast of Nana is generally fantastic anyway. Not always likable, but every one of them felt "real" to me. Hachi sported amazing character development, which Takumi was obviously a large part of. But, this spotlight isn't about her and, unfortunately, just from the anime I haven't seen enough of him to vote. He did, however, look interesting from what I've seen and isn't as bad as many people make him out to be. Unless he is noticeably worse in the later parts of the manga and side story.

I'll have to abstain.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 5, 2010 12:36 AM

Apr 2008
@Confucius First of all, what you wrote is not even accurate. Takumi became popular when he started performing at clubs, so it's not his good looks that made him popular among girls, albeit it definitely helped.

Secondly, the whole school is an exaggeration, what is written is that ever since he started performing at clubs women were not in a short supply. Seriously, what is so strange in the fact that many girls are interested in a good-looking musician? And what do you mean by 'even the good ones'? None of his girlfriends is developed enough to judge it, what's more, they are teenagers, for Christ's sake.
Lain666Dec 5, 2010 3:05 AM
Dec 5, 2010 7:48 AM

Oct 2007
Confucius, if your list is right and you haven't seen the manga then it makes sense why you think that way of takumi. Most of the character development in NANA happens within the last 30~40 chapters of the manga (in my opinion), which happen after the anime ends.

when i meant ren/reira/takumi being a hot mess, i meant things that have happened in the most 2~3 recent volumes.....

why are we focusing on a small side story? the main character development isn't in that one side story.

off topic, but i agree with insan2soldiern.. all the nana characters are really good characters but not one of them are truly likeable hahah!
katsupDec 5, 2010 8:12 AM
Dec 5, 2010 11:53 AM

Apr 2008
@katsup I agree that the side story is not all, but it’s the best option for those who have only seen the anime and don’t have enough time to read all the available chapters. The side story sheds light on his behaviour, so they will at least understand that much.

IfLayla is a slut, than Hachi is as well, after all Hachi also slept with a married man at the beginning of the manga. I think that it is poetic justice that she ended up with a husband that betrays her.
Lain666Dec 5, 2010 1:43 PM
Dec 5, 2010 11:49 PM

Apr 2009
I'm semi-regretting having read all of the comments in this topic, because they made me want to start reading this manga and they spoiled nearly everything to me.

Well, I guess I'll just wait for about half a year in hopes to forget everything I have read, and if I'm still interested, I'll check this manga out.
Dec 6, 2010 7:20 AM

Oct 2007
whitew123 said:
I'm semi-regretting having read all of the comments in this topic, because they made me want to start reading this manga and they spoiled nearly everything to me.

No, hardly anything has been ~spoiled~. Unless you havent seen the anime. It's pretty hard to discuss takumi without talking about the ~spoilered~ incident because honestly thats kind of the only reason he's relevant in the story. (or the main reason he becomes a main character of NANA)
Dec 6, 2010 12:59 PM

Apr 2009
katsup said:
No, hardly anything has been ~spoiled~. Unless you havent seen the anime. It's pretty hard to discuss takumi without talking about the ~spoilered~ incident because honestly thats kind of the only reason he's relevant in the story. (or the main reason he becomes a main character of NANA)

I haven't seen the anime or read the manga.

So now the million dollar question... Why did I read this thread? That's because I thought I would never pick this series up.

In any case, I wasn't really complaining, but was more like laughing at myself and complimenting the characters of NANA (judging from what you people wrote about them).
Jul 5, 2012 8:55 PM

May 2010
I take back EVERYTHING I said about this guy.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.