Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2010 9:40 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Death Note with L was much better. But oh well. I think it's time for me to read the manga.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 18, 2011 9:53 PM

Jun 2011
They show crazy Light again in the beginning! Man that guy has lost it...anyway I liked it. But the scene where Mikimi was writting everyones names at the warehouse was overly dramatic. Oh and I just realized that the gun Mello uses when Takada is kinapped is the same one as Revy's from Black Lagoon. A 9mm Sword Cutlass.
Jun 21, 2011 8:06 PM

Jun 2011
I actually liked the brief rewrites in the Death Note Specials, as it gave new little tidbits that you could ponder. Nothing to the storyline, mind you, but for the characters.

The absolute best addition was the flashback from Wammy's House.

The Rewrites give you a little something more to go on in regards to the characters mental states and emotions, and I really enjoyed that!

p.s...I also liked how the final Note stated "Once they are Dead they cannot comeback". Perhaps the creators are letting fans know (since these specials are fan service, really) they had no intent on continuing the story. Which I'm thankful for. I like that it ends!
Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face I keep mumuring to someone..."Ah, I'm not lonely."
Jun 21, 2012 9:12 PM

Jun 2012
it had the same scene from the anime but kinda difrent plot at many points it was better then the first special

stil the ending is sadly not changed but i gues thats logical that would ruin the serie
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Aug 2, 2012 7:13 PM

May 2012
Well this starts where the other special ended or stats at episode 26!

Either way a good recap of the 11 episodes in to this 1:34 hour movie!
Defiantly good if you'd like to rewatch this anime in a short period of time!

Loved the Real Story and both of these special recaps!
RafaelDeJonghDec 22, 2015 5:02 AM
Sep 2, 2012 8:30 AM

May 2011
I was sure that first special it would be better, and I am right anw. Ok, second special was 1:30 hour movie when first is 2:00 hours. I don't have any problem about arc with Near and the all thing (as many fans have) but I feel that in this recap they have cut many skins that it as very useful and common, such as the death of Laito's dad.
Sep 4, 2012 3:40 PM

Aug 2011
Of course, it's to be expected that a lot of memorable events were cut out of the rewrite but for a couple hours of entertainment, it's still an enjoyable recap of the show. I found the added scenes very interesting to watch like at Wammy's House, the introduction by L and Near covered in blood. I don't remember the show being as graphic as this though.
Sep 15, 2012 2:33 PM

Feb 2012
I was really pissed they changed so much but not the ending,when light told mikami to "save one page of the notebook" I thought the rewrite will fix the series mistake,sadly I was wrong.
anyways,I will give it a 9/10 because of the first one's ending scene.
Oct 24, 2013 10:45 PM

Jul 2013
Anitnelav said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Death Note with L was much better. But oh well. I think it's time for me to read the manga.

Totally agree.
7/10
Aug 31, 2014 7:00 PM
Aug 2014
I remember saying these same things to myself (of course who else could I possibly--) years and years ago. It's been a while and I've not had the patience to rewatch the entire series. I've totally forgotten. Such a disturbing ending.
Jan 5, 2016 11:36 PM

Dec 2015
Light really went crazy in the end, eh. Always loved the character development in this series. Been so long I needed a recap.
I think it is a bit sad how Light and Ryuk kinda drifted apart in the end. Not that they were ever friends but I always loved seeing them working together.
Loved seeing L again, Death Note just isn't the same without him <3
Jan 7, 2016 11:55 AM

Jun 2015
I hoped they would animate Light's death as it was in the manga. I find the way he died in the anime pathetic.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 13, 2016 5:22 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
That new scene with L talking to the orphans was a nice addition. Another good recap.

4/5
Jul 10, 2017 5:46 AM
Aug 2015
Shame, was just a recap. Surprised with its popularity this wasn't a special 2 hour long episode about what happens after the events of Death Note, but I guess that might dampen peoples opinions of the show, Meh!
Oct 13, 2017 10:31 PM
Oct 2017
Is this the part after Death Note series ?
Mar 31, 2018 12:25 PM

Sep 2017
Good special. Finally done with death note rewrite I guess.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 28, 2018 1:14 PM

Mar 2017
I thought the rewrite movies were a little too short, too much was crammed into them. But they are pretty useful for a rewatch, if you've already seen the series! It was great experiencing Death Note again, it's one of my favorites. And it was all worth it just for that scene with L's little speech on monsters. Absolutely amazing!

Dec 21, 2018 2:42 AM

Sep 2018
Its was a good summary, i hope we get an offical statemant for the Theory that light is the shikigami that asked for Ryuk
Dec 26, 2018 5:49 PM

May 2016
It'd work better if they had enough time to include some of the other stuff in the anime like what Mello actually intended to do and why he abducted Takada, and how Light came in contact with Mikami and Takada in the first place. Not including the part where Light killed his dad made Matsuda going berserk on him made it less impactful and reasonable. I personally preferred Mikami killing off the Sakura TV executives instead of the random variety show critics because it just showed that Kira doesn't like the haters instead of showing him as a person who doesn't like others to mooch off his glory. Misa jumping off the building in the end should've been included too for obvious reasons.

Despite the omissions, I still kinda liked it and it's okay as a recap but the modified scenes was pretty confusing when you use the original anime as a reference. But I like how they slowly showed the actual methods Near did to swap the Death Note instead of the half-hearted "I switched it yeah" and I absolutely loved the part where Near just silently gazed at the screen after calling Light right after the SPK Massacre took place. He was so triggered! L appearing in the beginning was pure fanservice too because he has very little parts in the movie lmao

Jul 10, 2019 10:22 PM
Jul 2019
Where is manga i cant see plss teach me someone
Aug 31, 2019 5:54 AM
Jul 2018
This recap was a good one but lacking the ending coda that made Death Note TV series had a great conclusion scene.
Sep 21, 2019 1:11 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Solid continuation, but the quality of the story is visibly suffering compared to the first episode of the recap, it just goes to show how better the first half of the parent show really was.
Sep 26, 2019 6:53 PM

Jul 2009
It was a strong start and I actually like the new added scenes (SPK members dying in front of Near, Kira and Ryuk talking as well as introducing Near in a more behind the scenes styles, instead of just appearing out of nowhere).

Problem is they remove some of the vital scenes of the 2nd arc. Stuff like Yagami's dad' Soichiro Yagami with his daughter being kidnapped as well as his death. They also remove Mello's introduction and instead just went through Near's SPK headquarters. So the whole Mafia arc was just axed. Especially regarding the 13 Day rule being fake(he just finds it out of nowhere).

They also made Matsuda's anger diminish a bit due to removing Soichiro Yagami in the picture. So we didn't get to hear Matsuada mentioning to Light about what he did to his father.

One last thing, they didn't add L in his final death scene where he was staring at Light before he passed away. I feel they really missed the opportunity on this. They didn't even showed his sinister face when L died in front of Kira(he was smiling devilish).

It also made me realize how some of Near's reasoning are just full of BS and holes. I can definitely see why 2nd arc really dip.

Despite all this, I still think this was a "solid" summary of the TV series. The 2nd movie really focused more on Kira vs Near and nothing more. It's just a shame they could have done more and added more new scenes. It didn't make sense to have the first 20 minutes of the movie to be a recap of the first movie, which is already a recap in the first place.

I am still hopefully that we will get a "Remake" of the series someday. If Code Geass had a Trilogy Remake as well as a new 4th Movie. Then Death Note deserves it as well.

"Death Note Another Note Los Angeles BB case" and have B.B. succeed L instead of Near and Mello, which he was one of the original first-line successors alongside A. They can also add elements of the Live Action Movies. It showed how they were able to exploit some of the rules of Death Note. Including the 13-day rule which "L" actually solve and find a way to expose Kira.

Or even a sinister and more dark ending. Kira actually winning! They literally can rewrite Mikami of not making the mistake and have him bring pages from the real notebook instead of just bringing the whole thing. Kira could have ordered Mikami to save some pages away from the real notebook to save it in the final day in case something like this happened.

See? So many holes against Near's plan. It just felt that he had to win in the end.

Ah well, there's still more Death Note content to consume in the meanwhile. I still vouch for B.B as the true successor of "L". Since we can have "L" back again due to B.B. actually copying and looking like him.

I give it a solid 8/10. First movie is still the best!!!

SomaHeirSep 26, 2019 7:05 PM
Oct 30, 2019 12:14 PM

Sep 2019
Light is a character who controls his emotions and hide them so others can't see them and when those emotions over flood he breaks character and as a result he makes faces like you guys saw in last part.
Dec 1, 2020 9:29 PM

Apr 2020

Nov 12, 2022 9:22 PM
May 2022
At first I didn't understand what this was...But it's just a reboot 1 year later... Thought they were gonna change something but they didn't, no point in watching this.
Nov 24, 2022 2:27 PM

Dec 2018
he flew too close to the sun, sad. i didn't hate any character in this show, but i'd probably have let him go. his biggest mistake was trusting crazies.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Special Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Jan 6, 2008

83 by suk4iro »»
Jul 8, 2023 9:58 AM

» Light Yagami's fate

Arka_otaku - Jan 24, 2014

2 by Epiccgaymer »»
May 9, 2023 7:08 AM

» Should I watch this?

strp0t - Feb 17, 2014

8 by fenris_demiurgos »»
Mar 2, 2023 3:22 PM

» About that corridor Light walks through...

removed-user - Apr 21, 2021

2 by removed-user »»
Jun 9, 2021 10:14 PM

» How can I watch Death Note: Relight in English Dub?

SageModeTice - Mar 22, 2018

1 by Tyler_Spencer69 »»
Dec 13, 2020 6:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.