Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 10, 2010 8:01 AM

Jan 2010
when she first started jumping or "leaping" as it were, she got sent back to where she was before she "leaped" i.e. when she tried to have the pudding but got sent back to the river. why did that subject never come up again?
Mar 12, 2011 9:14 PM

Nov 2010
I don't know why I'm answering this since it's been 5 months and you're probably not going to see...

But well, I noticed the same thing as well. She only goes back to the present in the first time. Maybe it's a glitch with the time leaping device? xD
Mar 15, 2011 8:36 AM

Jan 2010
Kelvets said:
I don't know why I'm answering this since it's been 5 months and you're probably not going to see...

But well, I noticed the same thing as well. She only goes back to the present in the first time. Maybe it's a glitch with the time leaping device? xD

Who knows. the movie doesn't explain everything which is a shame. I'd like to know more about the time traveling device they had. Instead we're left with a plot hole. But the glitch may be because she was using it the first time. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Jun 20, 2016 9:40 PM

Dec 2009
True huh... I guess it does make the most sense that it lagged because it was the first time or because it fell it made it lag because it's so sensitive.
Jul 9, 2017 5:39 PM

Jun 2017
It actually isnt a plothole. she wasnt used to time travel yet and hadnt exactly grasped how to activate it,so it makes sense that she activated it by mistake that time.
Aug 10, 2020 1:47 PM

Jun 2015
A more obvious plothole is how came Makoto still retains her memories after Chiaki used his last charge to go back in time in order to save Kousuke and Kaho from the accident, while the same thing doesn't seem to apply to Chiaki? as you see him near the end not recalling anything about revealing himself to Makoto. -unless he was actually pretending not remembering or Makoto has an ability to retain her memory no matter a leap through time has occured-.
Sep 5, 2020 9:04 PM

Feb 2016
Deago said:
A more obvious plothole is how came Makoto still retains her memories after Chiaki used his last charge to go back in time in order to save Kousuke and Kaho from the accident, while the same thing doesn't seem to apply to Chiaki? as you see him near the end not recalling anything about revealing himself to Makoto. -unless he was actually pretending not remembering or Makoto has an ability to retain her memory no matter a leap through time has occured-.

You my friend, are a genius. I wanted to find a plot hole, but couldn't, and you saying this made me realize, wahhh, such an obvious platter. Kudos to you. Totally true.
Sep 26, 2020 1:23 AM

Jan 2019
Deago said:

Apparently they both retained their memories as long as they were the ones who time leaped. Since Chiaki leaped last and told her what happened AFTER his last leap, she knew what happened and was able to leap again herself, retaining those memories, making it so that now SHE had the last leap, and he couldn't know about it until she told him.
Sep 26, 2020 3:01 AM

Jun 2015
Sheklon said:
Deago said:

Apparently they both retained their memories as long as they were the ones who time leaped. Since Chiaki leaped last and told her what happened AFTER his last leap, she knew what happened and was able to leap again herself, retaining those memories, making it so that now SHE had the last leap, and he couldn't know about it until she told him.

I am afraid you're wrong sir

tldr:
The fact that Makoto knows about the accident just after the time leap -used by Chiaki- proves that she retained her memories.
DeagoSep 26, 2020 3:09 AM
Sep 26, 2020 6:02 AM

Jan 2019
Deago said:
Sheklon said:

tldr:
The fact that Makoto knows about the accident just after the time leap -used by Chiaki- proves that she retained her memories.

Yes, I was thinking about this right after I typed my other comment. However, this could also be explained as Makoto was already going to the train passage with the objective of saving Kousuke. She doesn't necessarily remembers the accident happening itself, only that she was running to avoid it from happening.
Sep 26, 2020 7:36 AM

Jun 2015
Sheklon said:
Deago said:

tldr:

Yes, I was thinking about this right after I typed my other comment. However, this could also be explained as Makoto was already going to the train passage with the objective of saving Kousuke. She doesn't necessarily remembers the accident happening itself, only that she was running to avoid it from happening.

Chiaki leapt back in time way way before Kousuke messeged Makoto about borrowing her bike, so no.
Sep 26, 2020 8:38 AM

Jan 2019
Deago said:
Sheklon said:

Chiaki leapt back in time way way before Kousuke messeged Makoto about borrowing her bike, so no.

True, that was my mistake then. You're right. So that was actually a plot hole, it seems the writers purposefully used arbitrary rules regarding their leaps.
Sep 26, 2020 10:09 AM

Jun 2015
Sheklon said:
Deago said:

True, that was my mistake then. You're right. So that was actually a plot hole, it seems the writers purposefully used arbitrary rules regarding their leaps.

Yes, I guess they didn't want to make it somewhat confusing since we see the events from Makoto's point of view.
Or there's actually more to it in the novel.
Oct 27, 2020 8:13 AM
Mar 2016
Sheklon said:
Deago said:

Not necessarily. Don't forget that Chiakis time jump is way different to Makotos. Chiaki is able to freeze time and have a discussion with Makoto - that to me implies there's various ways of using the device, and Chiaki knows it well enough to use it in a way to let Makoto remember - which he does. And it makes sense, since he's from the time where the devices came from.

When Makoto uses it, she only knows "leap = time travel"
Oct 27, 2020 8:47 AM

Jan 2019
Asphalt_in_Rain said:
Sheklon said:

Not necessarily. Don't forget that Chiakis time jump is way different to Makotos. Chiaki is able to freeze time and have a discussion with Makoto - that to me implies there's various ways of using the device, and Chiaki knows it well enough to use it in a way to let Makoto remember - which he does. And it makes sense, since he's from the time where the devices came from.

I mean, I can't argue with that. The one problem that still remains, though, is exposition. We're never given insight on how these devices can work, so characters could come up with anything time related by using them, as far as we know.
Oct 28, 2020 3:52 AM
Mar 2016
Sheklon said:
Asphalt_in_Rain said:

I mean, I can't argue with that. The one problem that still remains, though, is exposition. We're never given insight on how these devices can work, so characters could come up with anything time related by using them, as far as we know.

I suppose it's because the film isn't necessarily about time travel, it's about coming of age.

Honestly, the bigger question I tend to have it... What happens to Makotos body when she time leaps. We don't see older versions of herself, so it seems to imply that she's travelling into a previous version of herself, but when she time leaps at the river, one of the kids say she disappeared for a moment.

Plus, what happens to the present day version of her? Cause she can jump towards in time... Does she just... Not exist?

I think the time travel elements weren't really suppose to be discected in this way. It's no steins;gate
Oct 28, 2020 11:09 AM

Jan 2019
Asphalt_in_Rain said:
Sheklon said:

I suppose it's because the film isn't necessarily about time travel, it's about coming of age.

Honestly, the bigger question I tend to have it... What happens to Makotos body when she time leaps. We don't see older versions of herself, so it seems to imply that she's travelling into a previous version of herself, but when she time leaps at the river, one of the kids say she disappeared for a moment.

Plus, what happens to the present day version of her? Cause she can jump towards in time... Does she just... Not exist?

I think the time travel elements weren't really suppose to be discected in this way. It's no steins;gate

I agree, this show is not a sci-fi, it just used the time travel element to build its message about growing up. It's a good movie nevertheless.
I think Makoto's body probably disappears, which implies that there is only one timeline and one Makoto leaping to different points of that timeline, unlike other stories where time leaping creates alternative timelines.
Sep 13, 2022 4:33 AM
Aug 2012
Deago said:

When the leap happened after Kousuke and first-year-chan get hit by the train, time is frozen, obviously this is something Chiaki can control, as he also started time again afterwards when he fucked off. At no other point/leap in time does time freeze like this. Chiaki purposely didn't freeze Makoto, and so this also has something to do with the fact that she remembered what she just saw.
Apr 10, 2023 11:15 PM

Sep 2021
Clearly Makoto has Reading Steiner

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo Discussion (GO WATCH THIS) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - May 11, 2007

502 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 24, 9:59 AM

» The Painting

itz_lelouch - Mar 12, 2023

5 by waalex11 »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:42 AM

» Awkward/Funny Scene

Rand_al-Thorfinn - Aug 26, 2022

5 by omen- »»
Sep 13, 2022 4:19 AM

» When is Chiaki actually from

iamhim - Nov 9, 2020

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Aug 1, 2022 12:31 AM

» Makoto = the aunt? ( 1 2 )

Zenoxio - Sep 23, 2008

57 by removed-user »»
Aug 9, 2021 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.