Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 21, 2015 2:47 AM

Sep 2014
J0HN_L0CKE said:
The people hating on episodes like this shouldn't be watching sci-fi

What? It wasn't the episode itself. As a stand-alone it would have been fine I guess. But as a part of the show it was utterly terrible because it destroyed the mood and integrity of the show in the same way ep15 did. If you wanna do crazy shit like this, do it in a show where it fits and don't throw it into a show where there is no communication between the towns/world outside and then pretent everyone can suddenly see what happens out there. This makes no sense whatsoever.
Aug 4, 2015 1:59 PM

Jul 2012
Aug 4, 2015 11:26 PM

Oct 2014
Overreaching, mood breaking, fail bomb.

Good job slapping another Andy Warhol poster onto the Sistine Chapel ceiling, guys. 6.6
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Aug 14, 2015 6:48 AM

Jan 2014
Pretty artistic
Aug 17, 2015 12:02 AM

Jun 2012
Favorite episode! Pinoooo

Sep 3, 2015 9:47 AM

Feb 2015
This episode reminded me a little bit of Pinocchio.
Oct 12, 2015 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
That ended quickly. Great in its ideas. Pino is a sweetie and the metaphors for our screwed up society were so ironic and consistently thrown at the face in such a manner that I feel depressed now. Successfully bittersweet episode like we need them. It felt a bit out of place but all is cool. I wish for some action in the main story already though.

4/5

I didn't comment the previous ones, but I've read a few posts and I feel like this anime (and that specific genre as a matter of fact) is just not for some of the guys here. Congratulations for keeping watching, I guess. Sorry if I sound pretentious but this is a pretentious kind of anime, so expect it.

The only episode I disliked so far is the TV show one. I agree with OP here. Throwing a bunch of important information in a tiring, lengthing, mood-breaking episode sucks. Some say it's crucial though, so let's see.
YeahOct 12, 2015 1:28 PM
Nov 6, 2015 7:24 PM

May 2012
life is meaningless
Dec 20, 2015 8:31 AM

May 2015
The 2nd weirdest episode after "Who wants to be in Jeopardy?" But so far, it's fair... I like the Walt Disney reference though... And then revealed that he is indeed a proxy. But I predicted that Pino is having a dream... And from the moment that Walt disney ripoff, Will B. Good, reveals that it was in fact a dream... I am right... I also predicted that he's a proxy considering he wants information about Vincent's Proxy's weakness. So, yeah...

I also ask this episode for several time if this is also legit... And... yeah, just like in the Episode 15, it looks damn right legit...
If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Jan 1, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2015
Well, this was creepy. Especially the dog cops.
Jan 1, 2016 2:27 PM

Aug 2014
Wasted Episode with nothing to add to the series .
Jan 9, 2016 12:23 AM

Jul 2012
I saw it as if it was an alternative reality of how another proxy and his world handled things instead of companions they were entertainers, it also shows that machines are discarded for differnt reasons each place. Like this anime could have started on this city instead and been about a human who couldn't laugh anymore and heard of people living outside that cried..idk

This anime is confusin
Jan 14, 2016 8:36 AM

Sep 2013
Wow I never think that Pino dream link to story . Nice ending scene in this episode
Feb 4, 2016 6:55 AM

Aug 2013
I've gotten used to this.. I really have.
This doesn't really have any relation to the story though.
Oh well we got to see Pino's cute smile lol.
Thank you Pino. The girl with a smile.
May 2, 2016 7:54 AM

Jan 2014
Even though I didn't really like this episode, it did have a couple valuable points in it like that stupid Jeopardy one.
It just goes to show how powerful the Proxy's are and what kinds of different abilities they have. This was explained by Hoody near the beginning, who seemed full of shit, but actually wasn't totally. One of the abilities he mentioned was that they had some kind of mind control, and in this episode, was put on display for us. However I still don't understand why Proxy's always have to fight each other...
Jun 8, 2016 4:21 AM
Feb 2016
I like how it is mentioned that Pino's "smile" is more natural than everyone in Smile Land because it occurred to me with the idea that even Autocraves can become more "human" than those that lived in the constructed, artificial world with superficial smiles. Again, this episode is a microcosm to the downfalls of a fabricated, deceptive environment through the human existence.

But again, that deceptiveness and "illusion" can also be applied to Pino as well. This episode took place in her dream so all the events happening inside her head is basically a crystallization of her young, naive innocence as a personality and outlook towards the world. The childhood-like Disney visuals and references are clear takeaways from such case. It's easy to make contrasts to what's really happening in the wasteland and the perspectives of Vincent and Re-L towards Pino. Remember, Pino is technically a "construction" in the first-place just like how Smile land.
Icarus_primeJun 8, 2016 4:28 AM
Jun 14, 2016 12:47 PM

Oct 2014
I can't be the only one, who's surprised by the thought, that androids actually dream.
Jul 1, 2016 9:56 PM
Jun 2014
I had heard ep 19 was an "amusement park" episode.
I was expecting rollercoasters with Re-l and Vince exploring romantic tension.
I was not expecting the amusement park to be a completely legit part of the plot,
a neighboring dome hacking into Pino's subconscious while she slept.
Actually, I'm totally OK with this.
Ergo Proxy continues to floor me with its unrestrained creativity.
Jul 13, 2016 9:15 PM
Feb 2014
As I don't like this "fillers" like "qqqq-quiz" and this one, I should say it was not that pointless even in entertainment point - of course they give many informations, but this second filler (ep 19) was kinda... nice. Watching this was fun for me, especially in second half when it came to mind this is "dream" made by Proxy. And all these Disney-like things around there.
Anyway, yes, this should be dark anime so fillers are bad! :>

Ah, and one thing more: Ergo Proxy again surprised me by changing forms of storytelling, I'm afraid it is not the end!
Sep 15, 2016 3:55 AM

Mar 2010
Skimmed through this episode.. As its such a debate whether there is some value in this ep or not..

Well to me it was a waste of time glad i didnt watch the full 24 min
Oct 22, 2016 12:44 PM

Jan 2010

I want to make a joke, but it would be in bad taste.
Nov 14, 2016 3:10 AM
Jul 2018
Pino is cute as usual. I didn't expect to see Walt Disney as a proxy. Ergo Proxy is good at subtle horror.
Nov 17, 2016 11:44 PM

Oct 2012
Lol @ the cartoon physics
Engrish xD

Awwww.. Girl with a smile, thank you!
I like this episode, Pino episode :D

Goodbye Vincent? :(
"Signature removed"
Nov 20, 2016 9:23 AM

Jun 2016
I didn't enjoy this episode much, but it was still better than episode 15.
Dec 22, 2016 8:30 AM

Apr 2014
R9K said:
I can't be the only one, who's surprised by the thought, that androids actually dream.

Haha, I questioned that too, but then again, she IS infected with the cogitive virus. Anything is possible :p

On another note. I LOVED THIS EPISODE. Mostly because it was centered on Pino and you can never get enough Pino. She's so KAWAIIIII~

It was only a dream, but do you think Pino ended up infecting some of the autoreivs there? They ended up fighting for their own beliefs and going against their creator after spending time with Pino and seeing her smile. If so, will their land really be able to remain "peaceful" like before, or will it begin to have its own chaotic autoreiv vs. human war? Or maybe they'll end up happier this way, with both the autoreivs and humans knowing what a "true smile" looks like.
Jan 8, 2017 9:44 AM

Jan 2013
An another mindfuck ep. Woohoo~! ^^'

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Mar 11, 2017 10:28 PM

Apr 2016
Someone screwed up the plan again lol, poor Manglobe, anyway this filler is better than the previous one imo.
Mar 22, 2017 8:36 AM

May 2016
Was reminded to come in here and say that this episode is legit ass. As somebody whose favorite anime is Ergo Proxy, this episode is a terrible and demonstrates why Pino didn't need to exist in this show to anywhere near the same extent that she did.

To be the occasional comedic offset? Sure, whatever. Texhnolyze didn't need it, but apparently people hate great anime, so whatever. To have an entire meaningless episode devoted to her that essentially does nothing, says nothing, and is nothing? Please, no.

#DeletePino
May 4, 2017 6:59 PM
May 2017
I just rewatched this series about 6 years after my first run through and found my opinion on this episode has changed drastically.This and ep 15 get way too much hate. Both were very interesting self-contained stories that fleshed out the world of Ergo Proxy. Exploring Pino's perspective and reactions without the others around was interesting in itself, but on top of that we get to see a proxy and the society it's built without the burden of Ergo Proxy's story. I like this episode and I like that this show managed to explore the inner and outer world of it's characters in such compelling ways. It breaks the tone of the overall story arch in a way that I find very true to life. I'm not sure that this is the most compelling or eloquent defense for this episode, but Pino is precious and her episode needs to be defended at all cost!
May 11, 2017 7:17 PM
Apr 2017
Interesting. I still wonder what exactly is a Proxy, and about that overwhelming power to create and destroy. It's kinda humanity simply doesn't exists in this world, and it's all a creation of Proxies.

Interesante. Aún me pregunto qué es exactamente un Proxy, y ese desbordante poder para crear y destruir. Es como si la humanidad simplemente no existiese en este mundo, y fuese todo una creación de los Proxies,
May 18, 2017 8:11 PM

Jun 2013
It's kind of weird that I find myself enjoying the "filler" episodes more than some of the philosophy-heavy ones. I liked the wacky visuals, and there was even some new info revealed.

Yudina said:
#DeletePino

Though I can see why her inclusion would bother you, I disagree with the idea that Pino isn't fit to be in the show. Since you brought up Texhnolyze, I will use that as an example.

I don't feel like Ergo Proxy is aiming for a consitently bleak tone. Besides, in Ergo Proxy, Pino isn't the only character who breaks the dark tone. For example, Vincent's awkwardness often provide moments of levity as well, when he interacts with Re-l. The dynamic between Daedalus and Re-l also starts out as fairly lighthearted, too.
LeeTailorMay 18, 2017 8:24 PM
Jun 27, 2017 8:15 AM

Mar 2012
Why does a 23 episode anime which is supposed to be dark have stupid childish fillers!?
I'm not into Pino either, was just a waste of time for me.
Dec 3, 2017 7:17 AM

Nov 2017

wut???
Jan 19, 2018 12:21 PM

Mar 2012
Another one of these episodes...
Mar 15, 2018 7:26 PM

Feb 2013
The first time I watched this I thought the fansubbers were trolling...
No, this really is the episode. (mind blown)
It shouldn't have been as much of a surprise since the game show episode... but well, there it is.

This is the other episode I have been looking forward to since I started rewatching. It certainly is unforgettable. This is why Ergo Proxy is so great! I love this insane stuff.

5/5
Again, I'm not surprised by all the MAL hate. It's unfortunate how many people fail to read between the lines (a requirement for this kind of anime).

In case anyone missed it, this episode explained the role of Proxy.
BurntJellyMar 15, 2018 7:31 PM
Apr 7, 2018 9:20 AM

Oct 2016
"I also heard he's got writers' block"

Lol. Well... at least they admit it.
May 15, 2018 3:51 AM

Dec 2015
What a cartoony episode, and here I thought the game show episode was weird.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 18, 2018 2:31 PM

Jan 2018
That's a surprising start. Lol

And now we have a Jiminy Cricket knockoff. Now it just feels like I'm watching a totally different, G-rated show. Haha
Pino is still cute though.

What is this? The Usual Suspects?

Pino always sparkles in my eyes.

Wow, they got Walt Disney's looks down to a T.

I love a Pino centered episode. Only cause she's the most interesting of the bunch.

Jan 25, 2019 6:22 PM

Mar 2016
At first i thought this episode was very stupid being there for no reason at all but then all made sense in the end. Nice episode still though not a big fan of the series...

Jan 25, 2019 10:43 PM

Jul 2012
This episode essentially served the same purpose as the tranquility lane simulation in Fallout 3. It is meant as a message towards society and the fake persona that we are raised to have. Pino is still "a child" (although not really) which is why she "has a natural smile" whereas all of the residents of Smile Land (mostly adults) are only allowed to smile when they are told to. The whole theme park in general might be a criticism of capitalism and how spending money in a capitalistic culture is seen as a unit to measure happiness.
Mar 26, 2019 9:19 AM
Jun 2017
F***ing Filler again
what is this Naruto Shitppuden؟؟؟
Apr 2, 2019 10:04 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
this again was plain annoying meeeh this anime wont come to an end

Apr 15, 2019 2:14 PM

Dec 2015
I liked this episode, although it was pretty strange at first, but it showed me that Proxies can have different powers and that of the smile land seems to interfere directly in the head of autoreivs and also any Proxy that meet the Ergo Proxy ends up dying :|
Apr 21, 2019 7:47 PM
Jan 2019
Again????? Why??????
Jun 29, 2019 9:38 PM

Oct 2012
Thought this was pretty brilliant and fit in with the story quite well although a break from usual style but we shouldn't be surprised at this point. The Disneyland references were priceless. Unfortunately some of the MAL sheep-bots here claim it's filler but based on what? Plagiarization of other people's posts? You want the perfect adaption but this is an anime-original. To note: the great Shinichiro Watanabe story-boarded this ep.
modboyJun 29, 2019 11:29 PM
Jul 5, 2019 8:25 PM

Apr 2014
weird ep but from reading other replies, its filler so kinda cool but still weird
Nov 13, 2019 8:24 AM
Aug 2018
this episode and episode 15 ruined the tone of the series
Feb 16, 2020 2:41 PM

Feb 2009
TuzoAnime said:

So far, 2 fillers that I hate.
First. The trivial questions
Second."Disneyland".

First filler was amazing because it gave us background information in an entertaining way. By the way, do you know the difference between “trivia” and “trivial”?

Apr 9, 2020 6:43 PM
Jan 2019
Even though I typically don't like fillers, this one was special. It showed that there are some "monsters" out there who just want to have a peaceful life. pretty sweet episode I think
Apr 9, 2020 6:46 PM
Jan 2019
also what?... have all robots been able to dream? or only after they become woke? loved the episode btw
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

93 by LonewolfNBU »»
Apr 12, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.