Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2010 10:43 AM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ok no ones created a topic for this =(

So basically I can't really make out what happened, but I know they won the bid to some bad guys who were probably trying to buy it for an extremely low price or something
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Oct 28, 2012 6:33 AM

Jan 2012
Basically, Fujita's 2 ex-coworkers (bad guys - Max Watson and Bill Travers) conspired with each other 15 years ago to buy real painting (50 of them) at low price by means of reattribution (aka forgery by means of changing the names of who the painting is belong) then resell them for huge profit margin. Fujita got fired because he suspect them to be currupted.

15 years later, Fujita found out they're reselling the real Haystack painting (which was claimed fake by Max Watson 15 years ago and sold it at low price to Bill Travers). So, Fujita came to bid and win this painting at a very high price (because it's real) confirming the scandal 15 years ago by these 2 bad guys.
Apr 29, 2014 9:45 PM

Mar 2007
That was awesome. I was on the edge of my seat with that auction!
Jul 2, 2014 1:23 PM

Sep 2013
This anime is slightly confusing.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Mar 8, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2013
Haha, Fujita is ace.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 14, 2015 2:16 PM

May 2013
Oh boy, I will enjoy this series.
Jul 27, 2015 7:57 PM

Jan 2012
Ironic that the anime talks about art, yet the art in the anime is awful...
Nov 7, 2016 5:35 AM

Jun 2011
flaxman85 said:
Basically, Fujita's 2 ex-coworkers (bad guys - Max Watson and Bill Travers) conspired with each other 15 years ago to buy real painting (50 of them) at low price by means of reattribution (aka forgery by means of changing the names of who the painting is belong) then resell them for huge profit margin. Fujita got fired because he suspect them to be currupted.

15 years later, Fujita found out they're reselling the real Haystack painting (which was claimed fake by Max Watson 15 years ago and sold it at low price to Bill Travers). So, Fujita came to bid and win this painting at a very high price (because it's real) confirming the scandal 15 years ago by these 2 bad guys.
Thanks for clarifying, but then Audrey told Fujita that the limit was 10 mil, did he pull 20 mil out of his own pocket? Was he planning on selling the fake art he got for 2 k at the beginning of the episode for the price of a real one? Was the haystack painting Fujita gave Audrey authentic?

Episode was kinda confusing me.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 19, 2018 4:36 PM

Jul 2016
I like the way this is going
Mar 29, 2018 9:09 AM
Mar 2018
ToG25thBaam said:

Episode was kinda confusing me.

yeh, i would go ahead and say that it doesnt make sense.

1) why all the suspense, if Fujita had 30 million in his pocket?
2) if the painting is considered fake, why is starting price 5 million? Thats way too much for a fake.
3) if Travers has already bought it and is now reselling, why is he bidding then???

So i actually read the first volume of manga(it is about Haystack). The story is completely different.

I come to conclusion that there is no deep meaning in this, the anime script is just shitty as it often happens.
Apr 2, 2019 11:16 PM

May 2018
from Wikipedia: Later, Fujita meets Kain Aubrey who had been the underbidder in recent auctions and offers to act as his broker for the haystack painting. Aubrey initially refuses, then agrees, setting a limit of $10 million for the painting which 15 years earlier had been re-attributed by Max Watson and sold cheaply to Bill Travers. At the auction, Sara bids for Fujita. After the bidding reaches $10 million, Fujita goes to $30 million, beating and frustrating the other bidder, Bill Travers. However the eventual purchaser is Kain Aubrey who promises to donate the painting to the MET on his death.

So apparently nobody's missing anything and the script plain stupid.
Dec 1, 2020 3:56 PM

Nov 2016
Well, Travers was working as a dealer for many years, so safe to say the painting changed hands over the years. And Travers was bidding in Watson's stead, since the latter was afraid of the press asking Fujita questions and a scandal.

Anyway, seems like a really interesting anime, especially like the mood and Fujita is a badass.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 9, 2023 5:57 PM

Dec 2022
People sure do have a lot of money to throw around, with the crazy prices these paintings go for. If anything, the fake painting that only went for a couple of thousand at the start of the episode is a more reasonable value for even the authentic art.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 29, 1:52 AM

Dec 2013
I like paintings and the story behind them so I decided to watch this. I must admit that the first episode is a bit confusing, but I will continue.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Mar 17, 1:09 PM

Mar 2007
Oh a lovely art anime with a mystery angle. Not easy to understand, and older but shows a lot of promise. I love Seinen.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gallery Fake Episode 4 Discussion

pacuuuuu3 - Jul 19, 2010

7 by _kukiyomenai »»
Apr 1, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Gallery Fake Episode 3 Discussion

pacuuuuu3 - Jul 14, 2010

8 by _kukiyomenai »»
Feb 29, 4:43 AM

Poll: » Gallery Fake Episode 2 Discussion

pacuuuuu3 - Jul 9, 2010

11 by _kukiyomenai »»
Feb 29, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Gallery Fake Episode 37 Discussion

Confucius - Feb 18, 2014

8 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 11, 2023 1:03 PM

Poll: » Gallery Fake Episode 36 Discussion

Confucius - Feb 17, 2014

3 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 11, 2023 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.