Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 25, 2013 9:18 PM

Jan 2013
Aw poor Shinji, I relate to him too. It's so hard sometimes being around a lot of people, I would hate Asuka if I had to live with her. She's so annoying and so loud sometimes.

I'm glad Shinji is figuring it all out though.
Dec 29, 2013 9:47 AM
Jul 2013
Moonfrost said:
What I also didn't get was how come they used bare hands instead of using guns?
From what I understood, guns can't get through the AT field. And I think their hands can create their own AT field to counter the angel's field.

Moonfrost said:
Oh and I'm starting to think that the second impact was caused by humans itself. Probably they're the ones who made the Angels too. Just a thought.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Shinji's dad must have had something to do with it.

orzel286 said:
Humanity could build humongous mecha. We've seen 3 so far. "We won't mass-produce them, becouse we won't" or something
It would be a waste to build more because only some special people can pilot them.

Phaetons_Folly said:
It was really cook that the kids saw through the steak dinner but pretended like it was awesome to help out Misato.
Agreed :)

It really was predictable that Shinji had daddy issues. Still nice to see his dad praising him.
Feb 18, 2014 6:32 AM

Oct 2013
yeah for such a low succes rate they killed it
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2014 7:34 AM

Aug 2013
They got reaaally lucky there.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 7, 2014 1:58 PM

Dec 2013
these "angels" are some of the strangest monsters I've ever seen.

"miracles happen because people make them happen!" What? That goes against the meaning of what a miracle is.

I wonder how dark this will get...
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 24, 2014 1:40 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
It may be a stupid reason for Asuka that Shinji is piloting an Eva just to get praised by his father, but if Asuka were to know of Shinji's past she'd change her mind. I mean Shinji has really grown as a character since the 1st episode and right now he feels more calm when piloting an Eva.

As for the mission Rei saw more action compared to the last episode where all she did was act as back up. I hope there is more Rei x Shinji as well.

May 6, 2014 9:11 AM

Jun 2013
It was an okay episode. It was pretty cool to see a little backstory of Misato at the beginning. Also I lol'd at Asuka getting jealous of Shinji. Plus they got to eat at a ramen shop, only because Rei doesn't eat meat. Is Rei a Vegetarian? Hmm, interesting. I will keep watching to find out more!
Jun 7, 2014 6:22 AM

Aug 2013
Loved the backstory on Misato.
My Candies:
Dec 8, 2014 5:03 PM

Nov 2013
Success rate of 0,00001% lol. My ass.

Rei hanging out with the rest of the gang <3 I'm getting a little tired of Asuka referring to Shinji as an idiot though.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 25, 2014 10:27 PM

Apr 2014
ClawViper7 said:
It was okay, but this kind of episodes are getting a little old. I want more emo-Shinji and character development.
lmao same

It was a bit anticlimactic with this angel's defeat. it was over in like 5 seconds. They could've added more tension to it, considering they were being asked if they wanted to write a will. They did add suspense in the movie though, so that's good.
Jan 3, 2015 1:18 PM

Dec 2012
With every episode I hate that Asuka bitch more and more.
Feb 1, 2015 10:21 PM

Nov 2012
These absurd % predictions are really cliched. Other than that, the show is still going strong. It just needs to get to the deep stuff soon.
Feb 13, 2015 4:17 PM
Dec 2013
ClawViper7 said:
It was okay, but this kind of episodes are getting a little old. I want more emo-Shinji and character development.

^ this
the first episodes were awesome but now its gotten generic
where is all the "deep" stuff people keep talking about?

Oh well on to the next episode
Feb 16, 2015 11:10 AM

Oct 2013
... These Angels are looking more and more horrifying... o_o

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 20, 2015 9:14 PM

Dec 2013
supersayen said:
So this operation had a success rate of 0,00001%... really ? It was the easiest mission they&#039;ve done so far LOL.

Phew, I'm glad I wasn't the only one picking up on this. The show's getting real annoying with these success rates when it's barely putting in any time to showing how or why it would seem so diffucult. Battles generally end up the same without a scratch to their skin.

Misato's backstory was kind of nice though.
Apr 29, 2015 3:01 AM
Nov 2014
Feels more like a filler episode, but it was okay. That angel was one huge ass motherfucker though.
May 30, 2015 5:30 AM

Jan 2013
The "red" sea, Second Impact site.
Shinji finally got praised by his father after defeating the Angel.
Jun 2, 2015 10:03 PM

Sep 2014
The power of friendship. Ep 12.

Pros:
Plot:Falling angels equal meltdown. Though it is a bit more of a Misato ep exposing her past and similarity to Shinji.

However a big hint was exposed with the flashback to 2nd Impact. It may not have been a natural disaster but a man made one but the specifics of what Misato's father and those involved are still a mystery.

Characters: Misato is the star here and she manages to take charge and prevent 3rd impact once more. Her similarity to Shinji is the highlight of her character and exposes complex issues of hate and love. It also helps fuel her drive to destroy the angels but her argument with Ritsuko shows that it may end up costing a life or more. Not a good thing but on the threat of extinction, Misato's wishes line up with Nerv.

Shinji also takes a step forward and has found his resolve to not only pilot but finding out what he wants. Now the 3 Eva pilots have the similarity of finding their reason for piloting besides survival. Asuka's is reminiscent of her personality and Rei's has been covered.

4/5. The characterization continues to shine and grow as the angels are killed off one by one.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 10, 2015 5:49 AM

Jan 2014
That Antarctica, daym O__O
Another one-eyed Angel, hehe >_>
Aug 11, 2015 12:31 AM

Aug 2015
Kind of a boring episode, tbh, but it wasn't bad. ★3/5
Oct 19, 2015 11:43 PM

Apr 2014
Beneath Misato's righteousness determination lies vengeance and a determination that is of a cold sacrificial nature. This is a very interesting side of her to witness and it adds complexity to her character. She believes in doing what is right and is a sympathetic person, but when the situation breaks down and the ultimate decision must be made, she will not hesitate to gamble all-in including herself for the greater good. Her actions still fell in line with a steadfast resolve to do what she believed had to be done. In an earlier episode, she volunteered for a suicide mission in order to save many people. In this episode, she did the same by deploying the three despite nearly-impossible odds.

Of course, it can also be said that Misato's desire for vengeance is also at the level where she's willing to sacrifice everything, however I think it may stem from the desire to protect others and dealing absolute retribution for unjust acts against them. She said that she wanted to kill the Angels for causing the Second Impact (which wiped out a large portion of humanity) prior to stating that maybe it was because she wanted to avenge her father, but even then it was an addendum and comparatively uncertain. A hatred born from love, just like her relationship with Kaji.

I didn't expect Gendo to compliment Shinji, and it was the first "warm" exchange between the two so far in this show. Being recognized for his achievements by his father bolsters his self-esteem and greatly reinforces the notion that there are people who value and acknowledge his existence as a person (which was the opposite of his mentality in episode 1). This is the icing on the cake in terms of the emotional support that he's received. In that regard, that's also Shinji's analysis of Asuka's stated reason for becoming a pilot (and strengthens my belief that Asuka secretly feels very empty and inadequate).

Rei dislikes eating meat, but didn't state why. I guess it sort of fits in with how she agreed to become a pilot due to what she said was her bond with everyone. So it extends to animals as well? What about nature? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Also, it was implied that humans ended up causing the Second Impact due to attempting to use the Angel for some scientific purpose. I'm eager for the eventual revelations.
ZeroDragonOct 20, 2015 12:33 AM
Nov 21, 2015 12:35 PM

Feb 2013
It was really great to get some backstory on Misato, it's crazy how she was literally right there at the second impact. That angel they dug up was massive though, its wings were stretching out into space @_@.

I wonder what these Angels actually are, and what's causing them to just continually attack? Also we still never really got any explanations as to what the Eva's actually are either..
Dec 3, 2015 7:48 PM

Nov 2012
mfw Gendo praised Shinji.

Antarctica looks like hell on earth.
Dec 29, 2015 8:20 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5 Amazing episode. Another of my favorites. Gotta love how each Angel is so different, as is the way they are defeated. Just the amount of destruction as the Evas are running is impressive on its own...

I see a lot of complaining about the low "chances" of success. Maybe Shinji's super speed was not taken into account? It's not like Asuka or Rei were able to do that. What he was able to do was not expected. That's the "miracle" he made happen (linking back to other episode topics).

Is it really any surprise that Shinji, who was abandoned by his father, is happy that he was praised by his father? It shouldn't be.

Back to the beginning... Misato was "there" during Second Impact and saved by her dad. Did you see those wings reaching into space? ... yea... I know what was on that ship too (not telling).
BurntJellyDec 29, 2015 8:32 PM
Jul 3, 2016 7:58 AM
Apr 2016
It was a great episode , last shinji is beginning to reveal their emotions , although his father is not one bit interested in that.
Jul 17, 2016 1:53 PM

Feb 2016
I also noticed the wings during the flashback of the second impact and I think it was EVA01 as you can see in the opening but I have no clue what that means so far.
Aug 13, 2016 2:58 AM

Aug 2016
The fight was a bit of a letdown since they made it seem like it was close to impossible to defeat the angel, the rest of the epsiode was nice tho.
Oct 30, 2016 3:30 PM

Aug 2014
So much hype on that angel and it was all for nothing lol.

This is probably the happiest we've seen Shinji so far...I wonder how long will it take for him to break again.
Dec 7, 2016 6:42 PM
Feb 2015
i can relate to shinji so hard
Jan 2, 2017 5:34 PM

Feb 2013
Woo! Background info on Misato and the Second Impact. I don't know why his father didn't go in with her. It looked like there was enough space for the both of them. It seems like another Jack and Rose situation if you ask me... It was a man made incident too. I wonder what the cause of it was and what we're they trying to accomplish.

It's cool to see them work as a team. They seem to be getting closers too. I kinda agree what everyone else is saying about the 0.000001% chance of succeeding bullshit. It's a bit ridiculous but oh well.

You know, I can defintely go for some Ramen right about now. That's sounds really good too. Also ASUKA WHAT ARE YOU DOING ORDERING RAMEN WITH SHARK FINS!? That's bad!
Jan 9, 2017 4:34 PM
Jun 2016
The first time Shinji's father actually praised him... I'm getting so emotional.
The plot's progressing nicely...
Jan 11, 2017 9:44 PM

Sep 2015
Anyone else happy for Shinji when his dad kknd of complimented him
Jan 17, 2017 6:42 PM

Dec 2013
Great episode. Shinji's motive to pilot the EVA was believable, considering his personality and low self esteem. As others have pointed, his realization was pretty powerful.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 28, 2017 1:06 PM

Aug 2012
This episode showed that Shinji and Misado are very similar- which is surprising! Shinji just wants love from his father <3
SummerIchigoJan 28, 2017 1:53 PM
Apr 18, 2017 3:22 PM
Sep 2016
Shinji is and idiot.period. Maybe later in the series he will get "less dumb"
May 31, 2017 6:29 PM

Jun 2011
In Episode 12 of Evangelion, it shows that she has freaking headphones on. Since when has she been into having headphones on? I want to strangle her with those headphones and break them! Same for poopoo face Shinji he needs his SDAT broken too!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jun 2, 2017 12:37 PM

Mar 2011
Thread has been merged with PinkArray's post
Sep 12, 2017 10:27 AM

Nov 2016
Shinji got praised, good for him.

And ramen over steak, lol.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 12, 2017 11:52 AM
Apr 2015
nice but that success rate is bs
Jan 4, 2018 9:25 PM
Jul 2017
Man, talk about an awesome opening... misato is such a likeable and interesting character and I love learning more about her past.

I'm happy shinji was finally praised by his father... gendo doesn't seem like such a creep as much...
Jan 22, 2018 6:17 PM

Apr 2015
"Who'd want to watch a snake changing its skin?" D E S T R O Y E D

Shinji is me in every social situation. No...Rei is me since she didn't even show up to the party for Misato.

I thought Misato was crazy when she submerged Asuka in lava, but this latest scheme of hers is truly insane. The episode title definitely makes sense: "Don't make others suffer for your own personal hatred." Thankfully none of them died, though the Unit took some damage.

"I just read the report. Good job, Shinji." Oh, Gendo...you teasing bastard. Don't give Shinji hope that Daddy loves him.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 17, 2018 10:17 AM

Mar 2016
A little flashback that shows Misato's story and the horrific aftermath of the second impact. In the present, Mitsuko's professional side managed to grant her a promotion to major. Nice!

The best part of the episode is when Gendou praised his son, Shinji for his work. Now that Shinji has a reason to why he's an EVA pilot, hopefully, he'll be more motivated to make his father praise him until their relationship is stable.
Mar 7, 2018 10:59 PM

Sep 2017
I like Misato in this episode, relating with Shinji. The new Angel for this episode was also really awesome, though its death was kind of quick

Looks like even Shinji's friends are getting fed up of Asuka.

Nice shots of Shinji and Rei here.

Also, we know more about the second impact and those angel's wings were so huge. The shot of the city was nice.

Nice to know my waifu Rei can't stand meat. I can't either! Rei is best girl!

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 8, 2018 12:27 AM

Dec 2015
@JeremiahOrange The no meat policy comes from the creator if I remember well. He also gave the trait to Nadia prior to EVA.

===================

Aurorae said:
This is getting filler-ish.

HungryForQuality said:
All the episodes have been filler so far. No ovarching plot.

This is following the most common structure of a 26 eps TV series, thus far.
Also, a filler's only objective is to fill the broadcast time slot, it's not a term designating episodes who don't go straight into another. Here, you get one more scenaristic element or event from time to time (example: the Plan's mention, Gendô acquiring/stealing Adam a few eps ago...).
The relatively calm and "joyful" period lets the audience learn about the characters (through their behaviour and dynamics between them, for example), the world, etc .
Around the middle point, the usual schema is to put a singe or double episode (ep12-13 for example) where a new information, a big shift or something like that will shake up the known intrigue/conflict or reveal more of it suddenly. ANd then while sometimes still maintaining characters centric episodes (depends on the series), it will focus more on the continuing intrigue and put it more or less on the foreground.

PS: I should warn you that by your definition, there will be no overarching story until episode the last three episodes.
Rei_IIIOct 30, 2018 11:12 PM
Mar 15, 2018 11:20 PM

Feb 2018
Great ep! Shinji's yay was so fake, you can hear from it that he has never been happy in his life.
Finally he gets praise from his father and we can see him happy, I was as happy as he was when I heard it.
I guess Gendo's love is reserved for those who are useful.
May 27, 2018 12:23 PM

Aug 2017
So, Shinji found the reason of why he's piloting Evangelion.

Misato's backstory was great!

The angel from this episode is weird lol.

4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 25, 2018 11:32 PM

Feb 2017
I want to see more scenes from the Second Impact. That part with the Angel emerging (?) was intense.
Oct 30, 2018 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
Aurorae said:

Oct 30, 2018 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
Rei366 said:
@JeremiahOrange The no meat policy comes from the creator if I remember well. He also gave the trait to Nadia prior to EVA.

===================

Aurorae said:

HungryForQuality said:

Also, a filler's only objective is to fill the broadcast time slot, it's not a term designating episodes who don't go straight into another. Here, you get one more scenaristic element or event from time to time (example: the Plan's mention, Gendô acquiring/stealing Adam a few eps ago...).
The relatively calm and "joyful" period lets the audience learn about the characters (through their behaviour and dynamics between them, for example), the world, etc .
Around the middle point, the usual schema is to put a singe or double episode (ep12-13 for example) where a new information, a big shift or something like that will shake up the known intrigue/conflict or reveal more of it suddenly. ANd then while sometimes still maintaining characters centric episodes (depends on the series), it will focus more on the continuing intrigue and put it more or less on the foreground.

PS: I should warn you that by your definition, there will be no overarching story until episode the last three episodes.

You're saying the point of these episodes are to learn about the characters but the character have not changed one bit since the beginning. Shinji is still as timid as ever. Asuka is still as bitchy as ever. Rei is still as emotionless as ever. Kaij and Misato's relationship was brought up earlier but seemingly forgotten. Same with Gendo Ikari and Rei's relationship. The two guys from Shinji's school in the beginning of the show have no relevance other than being comic relief.
Oct 31, 2018 4:42 AM

Apr 2016
HungryForQuality said:
Rei366 said:

===================

You're saying the point of these episodes are to learn about the characters but the character have not changed one bit since the beginning. Shinji is still as timid as ever. Asuka is still as bitchy as ever. Rei is still as emotionless as ever. Kaij and Misato's relationship was brought up earlier but seemingly forgotten. Same with Gendo Ikari and Rei's relationship. The two guys from Shinji's school in the beginning of the show have no relevance other than being comic relief.
You do realize that fleshing our a character (aka showing us more about what makes them...them) isn’t the same as developing a character (writing them in a way that forces them to grow or devolve over time), right? Just because you learn more about someone doesn’t mean they change. There’s no correlation with that, unless it’s a case where a character learns things about another character that he/she didn’t want to know, and conflict arises from it that fundamentally change their relationship, and something about them as people.

And yea, that’s a pretty incorrect use of the term “filler”. While the narrative does move a bit slowly and present itself both more in the background and as a tool for fleshing our the world and the broken nature of the characters, there are several important moments in the first 15 episodes before everything really starts kicking into high gear, both in what we learn about the characters, and in terms of important things happening that affect far more than just what we learn. Plus, episodic episodes that exist for the purposes mentioned above aren’t necessarily filler. Filler is padding; learning about the characters and the world isn’t padding.
CodeBlazeFateOct 31, 2018 4:46 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.