Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Aug 1, 2014 4:30 PM

Nov 2013
freeflowme said:
Gikiseima said:
that very great ending

i like ryuk how to he end this show

I was actually hoping that

That would be character inconsistency.

Also, manga spoilers:
Aug 1, 2014 5:26 PM

Jun 2014
Botato said:

Also, manga spoilers:

Indeed it would, but it always bothered me that

Aug 1, 2014 7:11 PM

Nov 2013
freeflowme said:
Botato said:

Also, manga spoilers:

Indeed it would, but it always bothered me that

Because Rem actually cared about Misa from before. The reason Rem went to the human world was because of Misa and to protect her.

Ryuk on the other hand just wants to be entertained he doesn't care about Light, he even said so on a few occasions.
Aug 1, 2014 11:51 PM

Jun 2014
Botato said:
Because Rem actually cared about Misa from before. The reason Rem went to the human world was because of Misa and to protect her.

Ryuk on the other hand just wants to be entertained he doesn't care about Light, he even said so on a few occasions.

Indeed he did.

Honestly, I'm just grasping at straws here. I didn't want to see Light's reign of terror ever come to an end, and I was hoping it wouldn't. Especially not if it was going to be Near that caught him, who is but dust and shadows of the greatness that was L... and L's theme.
Aug 2, 2014 7:23 AM

Nov 2013
freeflowme said:
Botato said:

Indeed he did.

Honestly, I'm just grasping at straws here. I didn't want to see Light's reign of terror ever come to an end, and I was hoping it wouldn't. Especially not if it was going to be Near that caught him, who is but dust and shadows of the greatness that was L... and L's theme.
But Near wasn't the one that "caught him."

It was a combination of Mello and Near and Light's own ego that became his downfall.
Aug 2, 2014 8:47 AM

Jun 2014
Botato said:
But Near wasn't the one that "caught him."

It was a combination of Mello and Near and Light's own ego that became his downfall.

True 'nuff. Mello's sacrifice for the greater good was pretty surprising, given his character choices up to that point. It was just kind of a bummer that Near was the last "man standing" (or child crouching, as it were).

Re: Light's ego, I think it was definitely the fact that Near didn't seem like as worthy of an opponent as L that caused him to become less careful and eventually slip up. Giving the notebook to some other person that he couldn't control was just WAY too many loose ends.
Aug 3, 2014 1:55 AM

Dec 2013
Light...i will be always remembering ur best moments...

FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 5, 2014 7:05 AM

Jul 2014
FlareStar101 said:
Light...i will be always remembering ur best moments...

incredible
Aug 5, 2014 7:54 AM
Aug 2014
The ending was pretty good,and as for light.I pity him,he could had a normal life and still be alive today.Instead he choose to pick up the notebook,and went down the wrong path. Ironicaly he became no better than the people he want to kill.He didn't became a god, he became a psychopathic manipulative, dellussional man.RIP LIght Yagami poor guy
Aug 6, 2014 5:03 AM
Aug 2014
A great ending, but incredibly sad.

The surviving characters have defeated the evil of the Death Notes for now, which resolves the main conflict in the story, but at a terrible cost.

There's still a number of positive characters who survive, such as Near, the surviving Japanese police and members of the SPK. We can take a little comfort that they seem to have a chance at a good life following the traumas of the story.

It might have been nice to be shown a hint of some of that possible good life. However, I don't think that would have fitted with the mood of such a bleak story, in which so many good people had been murdered. For me, at the ending, my feelings were of relief that the evil had finally been defeated, mourning for the good people who were lost on the way, and sadness that those who were used by that evil never found atonement before their own deaths.

The deaths I mourned for included: L, Soichiro Yagami and Raye Penber.

Most of all, I mourned Raye Penber's widow, Naomi Misora. When Light used the notebook to murder her and then taunted her as she was forced to walk to her death, I found it heart-reading, and left me with a deep hatred for the Death Note-corrupted Light.

Despite the fact they were themselves corrupted by Light and the Death Note, I was also moved by the tearful face of Kiyomi Takada just before she was murdered by Light, and the implied suicide of Misa.

== Thoughts on alternative ways it could have ended ==

At times I thought the series might have some of the atonement in the ending of the novel Crime and Punishment (a famous 19th Century novel with another a teenager who murders because he thinks he is above the law).

At one point I thought Light might free himself from the evil influence of the Death Note and choose to atone for his actions. But much as I love stories with atonement, after about two thirds of the way through, that theme wouldn't have worked.

The fact I had such thoughts is just an example of the incredibly layered and powerful storyline in this series.

I think my preference would have been for the end credits to be clips of the victims, followed by their gravestones with a cause of death. That way the ending would have been not just about the fate of those who caused the deaths of others, but also about their victims. But the actual ending credits were fine was they were.
TawekAug 7, 2014 3:26 PM
Aug 6, 2014 5:26 AM
Aug 2014
The thing that troubles me about "Death Note" was not the ending, but that so many people seem to think Light was a hero.

- This is a man who, at times, taunted his victims as be murdered them. Incredibly cruel, and totally unnecessary.

- He didn't hesitate to murder anyone who were trying to find him, even when he was convinced that his own cleverness, combined with the powers he got from the death note, meant they were no threat.

- His solution to the problem of crime was to assume that his reading of superficial news reports was superior to a jury and judge listening to a long trial. We already have trial by media, and it's ugly, and harms many innocent people. But at least the media just ruin people's reputations, they don't actually kill them!

- Perhaps most disturbing was his reaction to Teru Mikami's announcement that those who weren't contributing to society would be killed. Rather than reacting as one policemen did ("he's going to kill lazy people now"), he said it was insane to do that **at this stage**. In other words, though he didn't want to do it at an early stage, his perfect world would eventually include killing people who didn't, by his definition, contribute to society.

From other things he said, I suspect his perfect world would eventually involve purging stupid people, as well.

How many of those of us reading this forum would meet the requirements to avoid murder by Light, and be allowed to be citizens in his "New World"? I suspect not many would be sufficiently clever and sufficiently dedicated to following his will, rather than doing what we want with our lives.

To anyone who is pro-capital punishment, or who wants harsher punishment for criminals, and stiffer sentences with a lower level of proof required for conviction, **you don't need murdering vigilantes for that to happen**.

Personally, I think a harsh criminal justice system is counterproductive, but if you think it will improve things, and you live in a democracy, you just need to elect politicians who will make those changes.

When it comes to the criminals Light killed, most of those killings were in prison or of people known to the police. So if Light had instead campaigned for the law to be changed so the legal process harsher, Light's vigilante killing wouldn't have been needed. But that wouldn't have satisfied Light, because he wanted to be a God.

Light wasn't a hero. His killing wasn't necessary to reduce crime. He murdered because he wanted power.
TawekAug 7, 2014 8:06 AM
Aug 18, 2014 1:15 AM

Aug 2014
i just love how Light sees L at the end. His eyes are so sad, like he wants to apologize to L. I hated Light the whole anime. i just hated him. and i actually still hate him but this little scene at the ending just broke my heart because i was imagine that they could have been friends. so sad...
Sep 14, 2014 6:04 AM

Aug 2014
Great end of a great anime. I didn't like Light. But the ending was just so sad. I didn't enjoy watching Light slowly but surely die. I really felt sorry for him.

Yes, it had its weak spots but it was still fun to watch. I rate 8.5 Ryuks out of 10 Ryuks

TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
i just love how Light sees L at the end. His eyes are so sad, like he wants to apologize to L. I hated Light the whole anime. i just hated him. and i actually still hate him but this little scene at the ending just broke my heart because i was imagine that they could have been friends. so sad...

Yeah, it made me like Light for a few seconds.
HuskeySep 14, 2014 9:26 AM
Sep 14, 2014 6:27 AM

Nov 2013
Huskey said:
Great end of a great anime. I didn't like Light. But the ending was just so sad. I didn't enjoy watching Light slowly but surely die. I really felt sorry for him.
Read the manga ending. It is better.
Sep 27, 2014 5:46 AM

Aug 2014
I'm still speechless.. Even after reading these comments. I'm so sad its over.. I actually bought the first 5 manga books in real life, I really enjoyed reading them at school, and I wanted to finish it so I started to watch it in the anime version.

To be honest, I didn't know the outcome at all. I was expecting something different, because seeing that Light was unable accept the reality and lashing out in hysterical laughter was kinda.. Weird. But awesome at the same time. Seeing him dying made me cry inside :'(

Nonetheless, I was enjoying the whole series, and I gave it 10 out of 10, one of all time's best anime. :D
Sep 30, 2014 12:38 AM

Jan 2014
I didn't want it to end like this. But it's maybe better this way.
If he continued to live it wouldn't hit me so strong...
Light, L, I'll miss you. R.I.P.
Oct 8, 2014 1:58 PM

Apr 2013
Kira Should have won! NEW WORLD ORDER!
"If it’s your wish, I will follow you everywhere
even if your throne crumbles, and your shiny crown turns to rust
even if the bodies pile up endlessly, above the bottomless pile corpses
Beside you as you lie softly down, I will be
until i hear the words “Check Mate” ! -Sebastian (Black Butler)

Oct 8, 2014 1:58 PM

Dec 2013
Messi98r8 said:
Kira Should have won! NEW WORLD ORDER!
I feel you ;-;
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 11, 2014 6:59 PM

Oct 2013
TheUnbiasedOne91 said:

Remove the "I hated Light" and I couldn't have worded this better myself. That truly broke my heart. In fact, this entire episode did. A couple moments after the episode finished, I began sobbing uncontrollably. Seeing Light fall into absolute insanity then his slow death was seriously tough.

I wonder if Misa actually committed suicide. There was a strong implication of it without actually saying it. Gosh I hope not. Her story is sad enough without thinking she killed herself because Light, who was abusive and manipulative with her, died.

Overall, this episode really lost some steam around episode 16 when Light first gave up his death note. The first part of the series was an intense battle of wits where I, at least, hadn't the foggiest clue who I wanted to support. After that, while it still remained a battle of wits, it was tuned down and became more of a generic "good vs. evil" match. Even after L died, Light was very clearly much more psychopathic compared to how he was prior to first giving up the death note, so it didn't at all lose the "good vs. evil" nature. That said, I still supported Light and wanted to see him win. I knew he wouldn't, but it's what I wanted. I'm upset that he didn't, but at the same time... this is absolutely the best possible way it could've ended with Light losing. After the last few episodes, I was losing some of my love for Light - this ending made me love him again right before he died. So damn powerful.

And Light seeing L in his final moments seals it.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 12, 2014 7:22 PM
Oct 2014
Great Anime. Enough said. The fact that Light died the way he did... being defeated by Near, someone who is beneath L. It was forced. Light was out of character, Mikami was out of character. Light shouldn't have lost. Near should have died.
Oct 14, 2014 8:11 AM
Oct 2014
I hated the ending, really. Light could just command Mikami to keep a page or two of death note in case something would happen, and keep it in Mikami's clothes so as long as Mikami's writing the names outside the meeting point, Near wouldn't know that Mikami's using the "torn page" of the real death note.

Yeah, I supported Light and I know Light would lose but the way he lost was just not like Light at all....

Here is my opinion about who is the smartest in Death Note to the less ones :
Light > L > N > M > ...... > Misa

Here is my opinion about the people who made Light lost (excluded L, SPK, M, and the police force) :
Misa, Mikami, Shidou (one of the death gods)

PS: I never saw Near standing.. Not even once.....
Oct 15, 2014 10:10 PM

Sep 2014
So I have finally finished the famous Death Note. And I can totally understand why it's so praised and so popular. It's great from the very beginning and you simply can't stop watching it. Anything less than 10 out of 10 is an insult. I'm not saying it's perfect though. I feel the ending was obvious from the very beginning. I also feel it kind of went downhill a little bit after episodes 25/26. L was an awesome character, both Near and Mello are boring compared to him. Light's Downfall didn't really satisfy me, I knew it would come and wished for it to be bit more epic, and he lost only due to Mikami's mistake. But well, at least Light wasn't truly outsmarted.

I don't know why I felt sad. I didn't truly like Light. Yes he was smart, genius even and his ideas were amazing. But the way he played with Misa's feelings (whom I really liked, despite her stupidity) made me hate him a little bit and how he really considered killing his own sister was cruel. Despite that, I still wanted him to win and felt sad when he lost.

Overall it was truly great Anime, I just feel L was the true enemy and killing him like this only to introduce 2 new, worse enemies felt bit forced. I think it would really end better with episode 25/26.
ImaishiOct 15, 2014 10:29 PM
Oct 19, 2014 5:35 AM
Oct 2014
Well, I expected Light to win, but as in every single history, the good boys always win. Light made a mistake trusting so much in Mikami, which wasn't intelligent as Light and wasn't able to act as Kira. Also, he should have killed Matsuda and others when his father died, they were also part of the problem.

Anyways, great anime, it made me think, laugh, and I ate my nails in some moments. It's a 10 for me.
Oct 19, 2014 8:07 AM

Oct 2014
I actually cried at the end :( I loved Light!
Oct 22, 2014 12:50 PM

Oct 2010
I just ate the last 16 episodes in a row ^^ yap living the dream..

After L died I was kinda "fuck this shit .. after this .. this is goint to flop so bad" --' but yeah for a couple episodes it was a little boring .. I kept watching because I was really curious x__x then at a certain point got more interesting ..
I've been reading some comments and I do not think it was a bad ending .. was sad .. yes .. really impressed with matsuda .. like yeah shoot the bitch. I laughed so hard when Light had his crazy melt down. I completly went "dafuq" when mikami did that thing O_o I just love Ryuk
Kinda heartbreaking when in the last moments of light he like sees L in front of him *holding the tears* ='s

(I will have such a huge break down after this .. dafuq am i going to do now with my life? x___x)

Overall .. what an epic anime .. even in his lowest points I could not loose interest .. and I definitely couldn't stop watching .. a 10/10
_Lexy_Oct 22, 2014 1:48 PM
Oct 26, 2014 12:00 PM

Jun 2014
Greatest ending to ever be written. It perfectly finishes the anime. Ryuk watching the night sky as "Light" dies away. Light's realization of what he's done. Light had everything in the beginning of the anime, and he's lost it all by the end because of temptation (apple/Ryuk/Notebook). His innocent dream in the beginning became overwhelmed by the magnitude of his dreams, hence leading him to corruption. Self-realization as Light was crying away. His death on the stairs, where the bottom was darkness and the top of light and he died right in the middle. Very symbolic death. Masterpiece~

Oct 30, 2014 7:02 PM

Aug 2014
I'm so glad Light ended up dying. He's easily the most unlikable MP I've ever come across. I would have hated Death Note if Light ended up winning. Kind of reminds me a little of Scarface in a way. Overall, I'd give Death Note an 8/10. It felt a little repetitive at times, tried to a be a little too complex, and I wanted to punch Light in the face repeatedly throughout the show. The second half was a little disappointing, but the ending made up for it. I can definitely see why people love this anime, but I don't consider it a masterpiece.
Oct 30, 2014 7:04 PM

Jan 2012
jynzu said:
So it ends...

I wanted Light to reign so bad...

Nov 5, 2014 4:22 PM
Nov 2014
In my opinion, I didn't really care if Light or L won, I just wanted one to win out of curiosity. After they killed off L, I knew Light wasn't going to win because they would never allow him to win, even if we wanted him to. I don't think they should've dropped the series on 26, but they should have at least let Light win after L died
Nov 7, 2014 10:26 PM
Aug 2014
It's very, VERY rare for a show to actually make me like or root for an evil protagonist, but somehow Death Note pulled it off. I gotta give em props for that. Engaging, very nice flow, strong characters (although I found myself not caring much at all about Mello or Near), and was hard for me to put down. I managed to watch the whole thing in under a week. I likely would've finished it sooner, but I was watching with a friend of mine, and we couldn't manage to sit and no-life the whole thing in one or two days.

9/10. Definitely one of my favorites!
Nov 8, 2014 7:04 AM

Jul 2014
Perfect Symbolic Ending. This is how all anime endings should be~
Nov 9, 2014 10:36 AM
Oct 2014
Personally I thought the ending was OK however having said that i believe it would have been could've been better. Lets assume that Light absolutely had to die, when Light runs away and Ryuk writes his name Light will feel a heart attack and still have about 30 seconds to live. An ending I would prefer would be: Since light is supposed to be carrying a gun cause he's part of the police he should be able to shoot himself in the head the moment the heart attack starts, therefore forcing Ryuk, having written his name to prolong Light's life a couple of seconds with the death note therefore killing Ryuk for prolonging someone life. Meaning Although Light was destined to loose he didn't fully.
Nov 28, 2014 6:18 AM

Jun 2014
I've just read the chapters corresponding to this episode and I have to say this was really rushed. They literally adapted like 4 or 5 chapters in this episode. It was still a great episode. More emotional than it's manga counterpart but I think I liked the manga version a bit better. The three people I felt the most sad for were:

-Misa: She was an idiot and killed several innocents but all that was for Light to whom she was totally submissive and loved to the point of halving her life span twice but in return, he never shared her feelings but instead manipulated and utilized. Now that he's dead, she's so empty. Life has no more meaning for her.

-Light: His initial goal wasn't bad or egoist but the means of getting there was twisted. A true antihero. He rapidly became consumed by the power which led to his downfall. It was pretty sad to see him think about the past. In another world, he would still be alive. I lost it when he saw that L illusion. They could friends in different circumstances. Although I hated him when he killed Naomi Misora, I overall found him very interesting and rooted for him most of the time.

Matsuda: Besides Soichiro, he's the only one who never had a single doubt about Light's supposed innocence and really saw him as a friend/bro so for him, it probably felt like the biggest betrayal. I just can't imagine how he felt (assuming he is a real person) when he pulled the trigger to shoot Light. He probably thought about how Light killed L. It's always sad when the comic relief character is given depth in some tragic moments.

That aside, I absolutely hate that retardedly overpowered plot device of a character that is Near which is just a poverty version of L. I really wanted him to die. When I saw Light just had one letter left to write his complete name, I was so mad. I wanted Light to win since L is dead.

Near is nowhere near (pun heavily intended) as charismatic and his supposed "intellect" is just a load of bullshit since he was just randomly making guesses and baseless assumptions which all turned out to be correct (discovering Mikami was pure bullshit) which all happened to be correct just for the sake of the plot. Mikami making that mistake was also totally unbelievable to me given how disciplined he used to be.

I also don't like how the author decided to make Light less brilliant just to have him loose. Like Light always keeps a piece of the death note with him so he should have asked Mikami to always have a page of the true book just in case something like this happens. Also, Gevianni replicating the DN in one day is pure bullshit.

I also wanted Light to keep some dignity at the end. I like the dude so that was seriously hard to watch. I know the author wanted to show that "power corrupts" but as a Light fan I wanted him either a more respectable one. He felt a bit out of character. Then again, he viewed himself as a god so for a god to be killed by mere humans is probably traumatizing. I have to read one of those fanfictions about Light becoming a Sinigami. Sounds really fun.

Amazing rewatch nonetheless. Death Note is really a great series.
AgafinNov 28, 2014 6:23 AM
Dec 12, 2014 4:17 PM
Dec 2014
I found the last episode to be really disappointing...

During the last arc, Light seemed to lose all of his brilliance. He went from being a mastermind to someone always a step behind. Episode 36 had me convinced that Light might actually pull through and be brilliant, like he was when combating L, but in the end, he was portrayed as a fool. He had to make SO many mistakes to lose to Near.

Although...it's true that it's not entirely nonviable. We always knew that Light's character flaw was hubris, ever since he killed the newscaster in the first message from L. It's just disappointing that he would be felled by his ego. He's such a genius, even if he is egotistical, shouldn't he have understood Near better? And why did he trust his lackies so much? He should've taken precautions! Can this really all be explained away by hubris?! And even if Light is going to lose (and we all knew he would lose from the start) then at least let him have dignity. He looked pathetic and insane in his last moments, a bad ending for someone so talented and intelligent (and evil).

Though to be honest, the only way I could've been satisfied is if Light had been killed by L. I knew it when L died that the series just wouldn't be good anymore - because L was the perfect enemy/hero.

I was holding out for one redeeming factor after Light's death: I wanted Light's name to be recorded in Ryuk's book and then I wanted to see Light become a death god. It's nice that it's hinted at in the movie, but the fact that this is not canon leaves me dissatisfied.

All in all, episode 37 failed all of my criteria for a good ending.
christine_017Dec 12, 2014 4:22 PM
Dec 13, 2014 2:58 AM

Jan 2013
Wow.
Just ... wow ...

What a great fest of extreme mind fuckery.
I was really expecting some over-dramatic 'mystery' ending with everyone having heart attacks here and there and everywhere, something that would completely shove the entire show down the drain, so understandable that my expectations were heavily lowered to avoid any further disappointment. But that went better than expected actually.

Haha, never seen Light so flustered before. He has always been such a level-headed and calm guy. A nice ending with the reunion of L and Light. 9/10

BTW, what happened with Misa at the end? She looked a bit ... yeah.
kuudere-ishDec 13, 2014 3:01 AM
Jan 8, 2015 6:23 PM
Sep 2014
I was postponing this show for so such a long time because i always thought it is overrated.
Boy, was i wrong.
Episode 1-26 are masterpiece, there is no doubt. It was tense all the time. But show went downhill from the moment he died. Mello and Near were just boring. I wish they made Near more serious, mature, normal looking instead of making him look like child, or atleast Mello. How it looks like they are company who create perfect army of wierd detectives.
Light was badass most of the time, i dislike how they made him like a pussy at the end. Crying, screaming. He should kept his cool till very end. Also, i started to dislike him when he killed Naomi, but i started to hate him after he killed Takada. Im glad it ended with him dead, it was expected from the start so no surprise on that part.

Feel sorry for Misa - She lost two most important persons in her life, again.
Jan 23, 2015 4:03 AM

Aug 2014
Sad ending ,
Jan 27, 2015 9:51 PM

Aug 2010
What are people saying?! Light Win?! the dude was a complete psycho! I don't get it, seriously I don't. Sure I wanted L to be the one to bring Light to his knees, hell, I wanted this thing to be over 20 episodes ago, the agony. And the reason Light seemed like he lost his coolness and intelligence near the end was because 1)after L's death he let his guard down and 2) they wanted to show that you wont get far lying and behaving like a perfect human being while being a complete psycho inside. Its hard to keep up with your lies and this anime shows a perfect example of that (Light was too smart for his own good so he kept it going for years but a normal person clearly cant). Light win? now I'm gonna use his quote "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!" its like saying "dam, they got Hitler, I wanted him to win". you have to understand that even innocent people gets sent to jail. I don't care if Light cries for 100 years straight I was wishing his death since day 1...So many freaking innocent people died by his hands for no reason! (not to mention the deaths to prove that the book was real) I can't...there are good people and bad people, like the anime said and the anime also said that killing people is bad...so Light is bad because he killed people, okay? simple enough? people who kills others for fun should die, okay? like Hitler and Biladen and so on because although anime is just anime, the writer is trying to tell you something. And so what is the message that you get from this anime? I think that if you still think that light should have won then I seriously advice you to watch it again. You have to choose.. Light or the true L?
“A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it, he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A fullmetal heart.” -Hiromu Arakawa Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 25

Jan 28, 2015 5:40 PM
Jan 2015
Agafin said:

That aside, I absolutely hate that retardedly overpowered plot device of a character that is Near which is just a poverty version of L. I really wanted him to die. When I saw Light just had one letter left to write his complete name, I was so mad. I wanted Light to win since L is dead.

Near is nowhere near (pun heavily intended) as charismatic and his supposed "intellect" is just a load of bullshit since he was just randomly making guesses and baseless assumptions which all turned out to be correct (discovering Mikami was pure bullshit) which all happened to be correct just for the sake of the plot. Mikami making that mistake was also totally unbelievable to me given how disciplined he used to be.

I also don't like how the author decided to make Light less brilliant just to have him loose. Like Light always keeps a piece of the death note with him so he should have asked Mikami to always have a page of the true book just in case something like this happens. Also, Gevianni replicating the DN in one day is pure bullshit.

Exactly. It ruined the show when they introduced that brat. L and Light really did fight hard and Light won by an inch.

This little brat just knows it all like he is a magic and have a crystal ball, there's NOTHING backing up his assumptions.

Episode 1-26 the show is a masterpiece. Then the two enter the show and it went downhill. Also withouth Light's father the police became really annoying too.

I really wanted to see Light win but we all know they would make a happy ending so the boring type of viewer didnt get mad.
Jan 30, 2015 4:15 PM

Jan 2015
[quote=Aishiteruze] Light went INSANE!!! He lost his mind, and what about mikami? He killed himself too? I was actually a little.. concerned.. for light's sanity.. did you HEAR the way he was laughing? Maniacal.. crazy../quote]

Light was so creepy in this episode. His laughter was seriously scary.
Jan 30, 2015 10:48 PM
Jul 2014
I really, really disliked this ending.

Wow.... so... The whole series had all these incredible twists and turns, yet the ending ended in the most predictable (and what I predicted from the very start) way, that Light would become too overconfident, too into his god-persona and fall, to symbolically show the viewers that no human can become a god... yada yada. Yeah, sort of harsh, but I'm pretty disappointed right now.

I kept hoping as I got closer to the last episodes that Light wasn't going to be defeated, and since the rest of the series had been so interesting and convoluted, so impossible yet still believable, that something cool would happen, but then once Ryuk wrote his name, I was like REALLY? Really?! Such a predictable ending, such predictable foreshadowing of Ryuk saying he would write Light's name in his book, and it happens, it's like... I'm having a hard time believing that the same people who wrote the entire series wrote this ending. UGH.

It would have been so, so, so interesting if Light reigned and we got to see what the resulting "utopian" society looked like once Light defeated all of the most formidable foes (and what new problems would arise from such a society). That's an interesting ending I would have expected from a series that was so intricate and riveting. Except no, we had to get the symbolic, man is man, god is god, man can never be god, man accepts the forbidden fruit and will always be a flawed man, blah blah blah message thrown in our faces.
morphinupJan 30, 2015 10:55 PM
Mar 28, 2015 6:14 PM

Dec 2014
Hah, that was a hell of a final. I think it was clear from preview where he said "I am Kira" while seeming to be cornered that he lost, eventhough the name of episode is somewhat misleading by purpose. I felt slightly sorry for Light, but it definitely serves him right. Light demise here was probably more tragic than L's, but eventhough kinda surprisng how many people wanted Light "to win" it's probably due to people including myself got so used to Light winning everytime throughout the series. Even he himself was so surprised that he went insane and pathetic. One thing I am glad Mello's death wasn't in vain, and in fact without his crucial sacrifice Near's plan wouldn't be able to work out. It was quite satisfying to see Light had to suffer before his death and how Near confessed that only by working together with Mello they were able to suprass their predecessor; L. Gotta give props to Matsuda too for being quick to act and shoot Light without hesistation there, but as someone mentioned, that's because he was the only one in Light's crew who believed in him until the end.

Also someone mentioned this episode showed Light's loneliness. He was never really lonely; Light always had a caring family and girlfriends which he barely cared about due to his god complex. His opponents, especially L, never possessed any of these. That was actually the main reason I supported and sympathized with L throughout the series.

omgNova said:
To all the people who complain that the series died with L, I'd like to say that I disagree.
Near and Melo are basically the two halves of L separated; we have on one hand the calm, calculating side that requires a complete victory over his enemy and on the other, we have a fast-acting, immoral side that will use any means necessary to win, even going so far as acts of injustice.
Hell, the split-personality is even manifested in their 'hobbies'. L likes sweet stuff, right? However, he likes sweet stuff he can play with. Now, Near likes toys (That he can play with) and Melo likes chocolate (Which is sweet). It's not a case of Near beating Light, it's a case of L beating him, just as two different people.

QFT. I thought it was more than obvious.

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Mar 31, 2015 6:32 AM

Dec 2013
Rewatched this, after years and still epic, perfect anime for people who never watched one. And yes the ending was predictable, but so what? Isnt like he didnt had it coming or didnt deserved. And knowing what would happen with Ryuk warning, kinda made better to me, because it kinda give Light character a like greek tragedy destiny, but thats just me. What i didnt like in this episode was too much overreacting, it made it even funny sometimes. But that "Im Kira" part was spot on. And so, it seems Misa killed herself :( oh well. 9/10 series too me, the second part after L death was not the same level, but it was still good.
Apr 1, 2015 10:34 AM

Feb 2013
Just finished this for the first time and was I disappointed on numerous fronts.

#1 The send half of the anime (post L's death) seem rushed, no character development, etc
#2 Light was completely out of character in the 2nd half the the anime.

Near was basically a carbon copy of L without any of the character development and therefore its hard for me to root for him, in fact I despise him a lot. Also that one guy that seems totally pathetic had the ability to get into a safe in Japan and then forge a perfect duplicate by the end of the day? Give me a break...

I have no problem with the end result (Light dying) but it's the way how it was done that was disappointing. Instead of genuinely being outwitted by N, he got beat because his minion screwed up?
A total let down...
Apr 4, 2015 6:53 AM

Dec 2013
"Light was completely out of character in the 2nd half the the anime." Light was always like that, the Note just made that side of him come out, he is a psycho sociopath. And with L dead, it made him become even more arrogant and starts going downhill as a human.
Apr 6, 2015 7:07 AM
Feb 2015
To put it bluntly, the fact that a kid Near (not even close to L in terms of experience or in logic) can deduce everything that he did is pure bullshit. Despite the writers' best efforts one cannot help but say that the second arc was much weaker than the first arc, plot-wise. It only serves as to complete the final chapters of the battle where both L and Light will finally meet their deaths. I would even venture to say that it would have been perfect had the anime ended in episode 26.
But the ending (as obvious as it was) was unfortunately, grounded in reality and something that had to happen.The underlying message, that no person can or should pass judgement is strongly reinforced in the finale.
The only saving grace was that his death wasn't as pathetic or sad as it was in the manga. On that aspect, the author's did a great job of creating a poignant, melancholic atmosphere that perfectly complemented Light's realization that he had ultimately failed.
The best part for me, though was the way Light's last moments were captured(his glimpses of the past) ending with L looking down upon him in his final moment of solitude.
I personally hoped he would be successful, that he would create his "New World".
But alas, it wasn't to be.
PS how the hell did SO MUCH blood come out of Mikami WTF xD
ramramApr 11, 2015 5:41 AM
Apr 20, 2015 4:22 AM

Jul 2014
Melinka said:
htdepaula said:
What are people saying?! Light Win?! the dude was a complete psycho! I don't get it, seriously I don't. Sure I wanted L to be the one to bring Light to his knees, hell, I wanted this thing to be over 20 episodes ago, the agony. And the reason Light seemed like he lost his coolness and intelligence near the end was because 1)after L's death he let his guard down and 2) they wanted to show that you wont get far lying and behaving like a perfect human being while being a complete psycho inside. Its hard to keep up with your lies and this anime shows a perfect example of that (Light was too smart for his own good so he kept it going for years but a normal person clearly cant). Light win? now I'm gonna use his quote "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!" its like saying "dam, they got Hitler, I wanted him to win". you have to understand that even innocent people gets sent to jail. I don't care if Light cries for 100 years straight I was wishing his death since day 1...So many freaking innocent people died by his hands for no reason! (not to mention the deaths to prove that the book was real) I can't...there are good people and bad people, like the anime said and the anime also said that killing people is bad...so Light is bad because he killed people, okay? simple enough? people who kills others for fun should die, okay? like Hitler and Biladen and so on because although anime is just anime, the writer is trying to tell you something. And so what is the message that you get from this anime? I think that if you still think that light should have won then I seriously advice you to watch it again. You have to choose.. Light or the true L?

Definitely agree with you. I don't get it how people liked him and says that he shouldn't die.
he's an interesting character that why people liked him and his character development also interesting ( from the one who want to change the world to better place to psycho killer). And yeah i agree he should die but i dont like the fact that Near is the one who beats him -_-.......

i think the writer trying to tell that

>One people cant change the world.
>Killing people cant change the world.
>Power can make people forgot his/her original goal(s)...... etc
Apr 27, 2015 1:54 PM
Nov 2014
I'm not satisfied with this ending at all, but I'm not complaining. I just don't like how Light lost against that piece of shit Near who is inferior to Lawliet in every single way. That was a nice death for Light anyway.

Overall, this was an EXTREMELY GOOD show, there is no denying that. Although the first 1 until 26 eps was a 11/10 and the drop in quality in second half was very noticeable. This series deserved nothing below a ten out of ten score rating from me. Very enjoyable to watch. SOUNDTRACKS = GODLIKE

Sayonara Light, Ryuuku and L. What a ride it has been, I wish I could have watched this show sooner.
May 9, 2015 5:06 AM
May 2015
Sad ending
May 9, 2015 10:20 AM

Nov 2014
I just can't describe how unsatisfied I was after that 40 seconds have passed. Show was great but it sure lowered its quality halfway through. I felt a bit sad for Light but I guess he got what he deserved.
Pages (19) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 7, 2007

132 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Feb 2, 2007

109 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 24, 12:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.