Forum Settings
Forums

Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

New
Apr 26, 6:14 PM
May 2018
As you know in the 2000s the majority of shows produced would have an average of 24-26 episodes with no breaks in between. In the early 2010s the industry would start adopting a split cour format where shows would still be 24-26 episodes long, but would be split into parts where around 12-13 episodes would be produced that year, followed by another 12-13 episodes produced the following year as part 2. Recently we've seen a resurgence in the consecutive cour format with shows like Frieren ,Dungeon Meshi & Tensura season 3, so it got me thinking, which format do you guys prefer?
animegamer245Apr 26, 6:33 PM
Apr 26, 6:23 PM

Dec 2022
Split cour is just a confusing way of making 2 seasons. This whole "season 1 part one" and "season 1 part two" system is stupid, why not just call them "season 1" and "season 2" from the start?
Apr 26, 6:36 PM

Nov 2023
Split, is annoying, it just leaves you straight up on a cliffhanger and ask you to wait, its wield

...though at least I can snag a free extra entry :D
Apr 26, 6:36 PM
Oct 2019
Don't care because since I binge I wait both way to be over before watching them only difference is it take more time that consecutive cours.
Apr 26, 6:37 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to delirific
Split cour is just a confusing way of making 2 seasons. This whole "season 1 part one" and "season 1 part two" system is stupid, why not just call them "season 1" and "season 2" from the start?
@delirific because split cour and season 2 are two different production cycle and it's why the difference have to be made.
Apr 26, 6:41 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to Otakupervert890
@delirific because split cour and season 2 are two different production cycle and it's why the difference have to be made.
@Otakupervert890 No, production cycle does not need to determine how you market something. How you produce something is an internal implementation detail, how you market things is supposed to be done in a way that isn't confusing to the consumer.
Apr 26, 6:54 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to delirific
@Otakupervert890 No, production cycle does not need to determine how you market something. How you produce something is an internal implementation detail, how you market things is supposed to be done in a way that isn't confusing to the consumer.
@delirific it's not about marketing. The split cour so the quality don't drop it's why it's the same cycle. As a season 2 it's a entirely new cycle as split it's just a break in the broadcast.
Apr 26, 6:55 PM

May 2021
Going off of feeling I think consecutive cour is the best. I haven't been active with a show that had a split cour so I don't have a good read on that.
Apr 26, 7:01 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to delirific
@delirific
In the west it's called midseason break.
Apr 26, 7:40 PM

Aug 2018
It's more convenient for me if it's consecutive.

I'm kind of tired of anime nowadays naming their titles Season X Part X.
Apr 26, 8:10 PM

May 2015
I don't care. Watching experience is the same, only technicalities differ. It can be more convenient to get a consecutive cour but the split one has its advantages too since investing in 12 episodes is mentally easier than 24, and in case I don't want to watch it anymore I can simply not start the second part instead of dropping the whole show in the middle.
Apr 26, 8:24 PM

Mar 2024
There's no need for things like Attack on Titan season four part three part two

I waited eleven years for Madoka 4, I'll wait for full seasons as well
Apr 26, 8:31 PM

Mar 2008
For the staff I'd assume split cour might be easier? Or is it not?

From audience point of view id say a two cour is best for a single season show while a split cour is better for a multi season show so you dont have to wait as long between seasons because the show gets spaced out.
Apr 26, 8:39 PM

Dec 2012
I'd prefer a complete season instead of being split apart, but if that's what they have do so they don't put out an inferior product or if it's keeping their employees from dropping dead at their desk then do what you've gotta' do guys.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 26, 8:43 PM

Jun 2019
Definitely absolutely and overwhelming prefer the continuous run format of a longer season of a show (even if that ends up being the only season and the entirety of the series) of, typically, 24 - 26 episodes as opposed to broken up short one-cour runs of, typically, 11 - 13 episodes.

Plenty of the series which run for such a short length of time as the one-cour ones don't get renewed and don't continue, which is extra awful when it's a series you're really interested and invested in, but even for those that do, any individual unit of a larger show (be it organized and classified as a season, cour, or whatever) should still seek to tell a largely cohesive semi-independent story even if it's just a minor subplot of a much larger world and series, but so many 11 - 13 episode ones are rushed and I honestly don't consider it the ideal length and format for any series apart from Slice of Life ones (especially iyashikei SoL) and special cases where the creators have planned every detail ahead and waste no episode, scene, frame, and line of dialogue and it's expertly written and directed and/or more of an arthouse project. I don't think it serves the more standard average drama, action, thriller, fantasy, Sci-Fi, etc. series well at all.

I have noticed just what you have noticed, OP, have commented on this before and seen a few others remark on it - That recently there is a bit of a revival of the longer 24 - 26 episode (or somewhere around that episode count) seasons (or two-cour runs, if you prefer). I would say since last year. And I very much hope that it is both a change which is being actively and consciously sought after and fought for from within the industry and that those doing so and waging that battle ultimately prevail and it continues indefinitely.

Under optimal circumstances I like longer and slower-paced series anyway when that's an option, so 24 - 26 episodes in the first place isn't even "long" to me. It's like the minimum of what I believe the majority of anime should be. It gives you so much more time and space to breathe, think, and identify with the characters, their conflicts, and their world. It provides a much more comfortable avenue for feeling like you're settling in for the long-term instead of being rudely and abruptly rushed out the door. I find myself getting so much more invested comparatively in most longer series once they've exceeded, say 20+ episodes, compared to a lot of shorter ones with rather rare exceptions.

I don't want to say the shorter episode count ones are inherently bad or inappropriate. Forget split cour - some of my own top favorite series are only 11 - 13 episodes. But again, I believe it's a minority case where it works, especially outside of a few genres and styles, and most newer series - the majority of seasonals I've watched since I started regularly watching them in 2020 and which have fallen within that length - have felt incredibly and disgustingly rushed by comparison to what they could otherwise be if allowed to friggin breathe.

Anyway, noticing this uptick in the superior-formatted longer ones drew my attention to this topic. It's an important one. I started noticing after last summer season of 2023 going into the autumn season that the ones like that were starting to add up. Here are the series since last year which I either watched and completed or, in a few cases, am still watching, which went back to the longer season or continuous double cour format:

- Vinland Saga season 2 (24 episodes) (I don't usually count second/third/etc. seasons of series as separate entities, but the first season of Vinland Saga, released in 2019, also had dozens of episodes, so this show as a whole is on the proper track)
- Tousouchuu: Great Mission (final episode count TBD, but it's ongoing and already going for over 50+ episodes)
- Helck (24 episodes)
- Dark Gathering (25 episodes)
- The Apothecary Diaries (24 episodes)
- Dog Signal (20 episodes)
- Shangri-La Frontier (25 episodes)
- Sousou no Frieren (28 episodes)
- Megumi no Daigo: Kyuukoku no Orange (23 episodes)
- Dungeon Meshi (24 episodes)
- Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai (20 episodes)

It would be nice if others who stumble in here can share any they've seen as well from recent times which qualify as longer length continuous runs than that overly short and too-constrained alternative which seemed like it'd be forced on us forever.

Yes, I emphatically prefer it!
WatchTillTandavaApr 26, 8:57 PM
Apr 26, 8:52 PM
Oct 2019
Boring answer, but they both have their pros and cons. Split cours give the studio a little bit more production time to finish the season and make it look better, but consecutive cours finish airing sooner, which is better for binge watchers who are looking forward to a specific show.
Apr 27, 11:55 AM

Oct 2017
Whatever leads to less overworking on the animators' part
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 27, 11:58 AM

Feb 2020
"Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?"

For me, it doesn't really matter.
Apr 27, 12:04 PM

Jun 2019
I hardly watch anything as it airs so it doesn't matter to me. Split cour does give me more completed entries though :>
Apr 27, 12:13 PM

Mar 2008
I do think it would be better if split courts were called part A and part B instead of 1 and 2.
Apr 27, 12:15 PM

Feb 2021
Surely I like it without any splits.
Apr 27, 12:16 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Serafos

Serafos said:

Yeah, same here as I'll be watching whatever anime regardless of being Split Cour or Consecutive Cour, I'll give me chance to have something more to watch or time to catch up, so either is fine with me.
Apr 27, 12:17 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to delirific
@delirific Agreed 100%. Been thinking that this whole time. It's especially dumb with Attack on Titan. You have "the final season" and then "the final season pt 2" and that's still not the end because there's still those last two longer episodes after that. It's so stupid. I hate it.
Apr 27, 2:52 PM

Aug 2018
kind of a dumb question. What kinda weirdo prefers them to be split?
Apr 29, 11:04 AM

Jul 2017
Hmm, if we’re talking about anime with a single story, universe, and main protagonist, then I'd definitely prefer consecutive cours over split cours. I would much rather give a single score to the entirety of AOT rather than give it 7 different scores. Generally, I prefer consecutive over split.

But, if we’re talking about JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure and Yu-Gi-Oh! for example, series where we have new stories and new main protagonists, then I would prefer multiple different seasons instead.

I'm not sure how deadlines usually go in animation studios, but I definitely support animators taking longer breaks. I also would rather wait a lot longer for more consecutive cours rather than get more split cours in a short amount of time.
Apr 29, 11:04 AM

Jan 2009
consecutive cour until mal group anime franchises together
Apr 29, 11:46 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to delirific
@delirific So true.

It's really annoying when they do that. And unfortunately, it's a "trend" that is more popular than ever these days, and I'm afraid it will only get more popular in the future...
Apr 30, 8:48 AM
Feb 2014
Whatever ensures the highest quality possible in the end is the one i prefer.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 30, 9:09 AM

Sep 2008
Definitely consecutive. The recent trend of anime being split into separate cours has always irked me, especially with the whole "season 1, part 1" and "season 1, part 2" nonsense.
Apr 30, 9:27 AM

Sep 2019
Can’t exactly say that split cours bother me a whole lot but i do prefer a continous cour instead of being left on a cliffhanger for months at a time.
Apr 30, 9:30 AM

May 2019
-I'd prefer the Consecutive Cours.
Apr 30, 10:26 AM

Jan 2021
Consecutive will always be better, but split doesn't entirely bother me. I'm very forgetful as is, so the difference in what I've forgotten between the beginning of a consecutive cour or the first half of a split cour is minute at best.

I just don't know why they can't just label them as "season 1 and season 2" instead of "season1 part 1 and season 1 part 2" unless it has something to do with how they break stories.

Apr 30, 11:24 AM

Jan 2009
the only advantage of split cour is some more production time
Apr 30, 11:41 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to delirific
@delirific it's a problem from MAL's side. They can just add both parts together as a single season in their database.
Apr 30, 11:42 AM

Apr 2021
Obviously i prefer to wait a week for the next episode rather than 3 or 6 months
Apr 30, 12:05 PM
Simp4DemonGirls

Oct 2018
I prefer consecutive cour unless it results in production issues (for example: episode delays or drop in animation quality)
May 1, 2:32 AM

Nov 2019
I prefer a consecutive run, there's no point in splitting up an otherwise continuous story. It's become a habit especially for series that gain a lot of publicity within the first few episodes or even before episode 1 release to split seasons.
May 1, 2:41 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Consecutive cour is always better for me, I enjoy the anime more compared to split one ^.^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Yesterday, 9:22 AM

Mar 2022
While split course is usually a "viable" option for overall anime production, I personally hate it.

I will always prefer a continuous course (whether 24, 26, 50 or more episodes). Not only because a conclusion is reached more quickly, but also because I feel the coherence of the story is maintained a bit.

The best example I can give is the final season of Fruits Basket. Tohru's arc was so poorly done that it left very little meaning to his development as a character. In addition, it was too accelerated and too many parts were omitted compared to the manga (Momiji suddenly grows, when in its original source the growth was gradual)

Going back to my answer. My choice is a continuous course, by far.
Today, 6:35 AM

Jul 2017
Split cour makes more sense nowadays from a production standpoint but as a viewer, continuous cour all day.
10 hours ago

Oct 2019
preferably, it needs to be consecutive, because waiting for the next cour can be pretty frustrating especially if the last episode ended on a cliffhanger, coming from a fan of Dr. Stone and Mushoku Tensei. I heard people said that split cour format was a way to get more time to finish the remaining episodes whether it needs more polish or there are some content that are still left to be adapted, but yeah consecutive is just the best one yet.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
9 hours ago

Jan 2021
consecutive cour always made more sense to me

I don't like all the arbitrary splitting in parts, since manga usually isn't split in parts
7 hours ago

Dec 2021
Consecutive if they can keep up the quality.

◜ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◝
Favorites
◟ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◞
3 hours ago

May 2021
I prefer consecutive cours because it's like gently discovering more of a show you already enjoy.

Split courses can prolong the hype tho, so I believe companies will focus on them in the future.

More topics from this board

» How much time do you spend discussing anime?

RobertBobert - May 6

19 by Rhae »»
8 minutes ago

» Great Anime that have 5 seasons or more that is underwatched.

RjtheGreat14 - May 3

28 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
10 minutes ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 11 hours ago

40 by APolygons2 »»
10 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

66 by EpicO4 »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list?

Cammell - 9 hours ago

43 by Archean-Return »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.