Forum Settings
Forums

how well can you read body language, facial expressions and online language?

New
Apr 21, 3:25 AM

Jan 2009
i say i do not know actually all my guess are often wrong but that does not stop me being suspicious

and this is not just about spotting a liar it can mean anything
degApr 21, 3:46 AM
Apr 21, 3:54 AM

Feb 2024
I read men in person pretty well, but that doesn't work with women. I can sense their intentions and desires but cannot detect lies; they are just too good at that, natural-born liars. And I honestly love that. I've never bothered to try the same online; people wear masks on the Internet for a reason, and who am I to oppose that?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Apr 21, 4:00 AM

Sep 2016
Average I guess, doesn't sound like a hard thing to do, but misinterpretations happen occasionally.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 21, 8:18 AM

Jul 2013
You can easily tell if someone is lying or not. Based on the context of the conversation!
Apr 21, 10:52 AM

Nov 2013
Talking to a few American colleagues I learned that coming into British corporate structures was a real culture shock for them, they found it difficult to understand their relationships with colleagues and whether it was a positive one or not, especially when it came to receiving feedback. Like if someone started off giving feedback on a submission I made with certain body/verbal language I'd recognise as a softener or slightly vague or even mildly thoughtful I'd instantly know that the submission was proper shit, but my American colleagues wouldn't immediately catch onto this language and remain hopeful that their work was excellent and possibly even by the end they'd walk away not knowing that the work they submitted would never see the light of day ever again. Permanently parked/the work is given to someone else to fix as a potential outcome.

Being highly polite, attentive or vague can privately convey extraordinary levels of hatred and disappointment in British corporate culture, even a big warm smile can basically be a middle finger. Being called a useless cunt may be the most positive remark made about you get all week. Everything is fitted backwards. Whatever the Americans seemed to have learned in their own culture was turned upside down. Working briefly in an American company I found relationships much easier to navigate, people who were upset with me seemed to go to great efforts to make sure I knew it, they seemed way more upfront about things in workplace relations through outright wild emails which trumped any level of British passive aggressiveness I'd seen before. Probably healthier on an individual level to let your feelings known in such earnest but also the environments were way more stressful on a daily basis. I could not survive in them. This is purely my experience and that of people I've spoken to in particular for the Americans.

I have talked with officials representing a specific foreign country and some of their remarks & tone used was absolutely brutal and I wasn't really sure what their intentions were instantly but they were almost always positive and affectionate, very bizarre and disorientating. This question really needs to be linked with culture because once you interact with another culture everything you know and understand goes out of the window.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 21, 12:49 PM

Jan 2009
@Sad

ye true culture differences plays a big role too
Apr 30, 9:38 AM

Nov 2019
I have a good knack at understanding Body Language but not online language/emojis. Something I can improve on esp the emojis/using and understanding them in the right context

More topics from this board

» it's the weekend and my brains are really fried right now

tsukareru - 2 hours ago

18 by BitChilly »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you love anyone in your life?

LenRea - Mar 31

44 by ST63LTH »»
36 minutes ago

» do you ever feel like not forgetting the person you liked in your past?

FruitPunchBaka - 6 hours ago

5 by ST63LTH »»
37 minutes ago

» Do You Trust Anyone?

LenRea - Yesterday

23 by ST63LTH »»
38 minutes ago

» Do you ever wish the internet would go back 20 years?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - May 22

35 by ST63LTH »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.