Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 17, 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
Once again Mamao realizes that this case is complicated yet some of the recent incidents are connected. Despite the tense story, I love how they made her and Jinshi's character chemistry as natural as possible.

Mamao deserved better though. Getting smacked across the face and down the staircase hurts. Even if she occasionally has a smark mouth, she didn't deserve to get hit. Then again, this case did involve some very shady people. I love how she stands up to them.
Feb 17, 8:22 AM

May 2020
This is that phase of the series where we actually do see the importance of those mysteries or happenings which Maomao did investigate in all of those past 17 episodes. And mind you, that’s the best part. I mean they weren’t there just to fill the count of the episodes, as was concluded by Maomao in her conversation with Lakan.

Jinshi being quite jealous with their “friendship” aside, finally that “Ox Bezoar” reward made it into the adaptation lol. I mean it was just Jinshi promising that one random thing he got his hands on, but for Maomao it’s quite a “prize” lol. So, goes without saying she would go all out for that reward right? Ritual utensil being stolen was just a small lead, I mean it’s not even been quite a few days since Maomao solved that craftsman and his will case, she got the main lead in an instance of what the main perpetrator might be planning.

She did go to stop the ongoing ritual ceremony, but as it is her habit, she again did instigate someone to get her way with, but damn, THAT DIRECT HIT TO HER FACE WAS SOOOO BRUTAL. Fuck that guard, for real. He could die for all we care…

… but Lakan being the man who came in clutch and gave Maomao the support was quite something. Hope that'd make people hate him a bit less lol. Anyways, the man performing the ritual being none other than Jinshi himself, who Maomao saved from quite a potential disaster was as poetic as it could have been.

She did save Jinshi from falling beams and such, but she's quite done for herself.. very fitting of them to insert such music towards the end. Jinshi carrying Maomao all the way just shows the magnitude of what we just witnessed.

Won't be wrong to call this the BEST episode yet.
Softhenic03Feb 17, 8:35 AM
Feb 17, 9:35 AM

Dec 2021
Riharu and Mao Mao's relationship is kinda like that of a big, beefy brother who's a bit of a gym rat and a younger sister who's sometimes moody. LOL.

The episode started off on such a high note, but then everything just went downhill fast. That guard is in for a world of trouble, and it seems like someone's going to make sure of it, whether it's the strategist father or Jinshi himself. And I can't shake this feeling that maybe the strategist had a hunch about all this and subtly tipped off Jinshi (and indirectly Maomao) to investigate. It's not like it's coming from a place of justice, though; it's more like the male lead set up the whole mess.

I can't help but blame him for putting her through such a rough time. A woman with her background and status is practically a magnet for trouble. Is he just completely clueless about the struggles of regular folks? It feels like he's playing with fire. If he were a woman, I think people would find him way more infuriating. I mean, come on, Jinshi basically did a total Kaneki move with Maomao at the end. Lmao. But by far, this episode truly is the best so far, whether it's because of the raw emotion, the soundtrack, or just everything coming together perfectly.

You just know something serious went down when they bust out an original song, and sure enough, it did.

Feb 17, 10:40 AM
Sep 2015
Majestic episode. It's hard to win against her father but Maomao still has to keep fighting (for a rare ingredient LOL).

Lihaku is my favorite character but now he's just an info-dump character. I need to see him more.

Anyway I also need to see more of military zone, there are so many hot soldiers in there. The guard who hit Maomao, for example, which I'm pretty sure he'll be heavily punished later. Oh I wish I could be the one to punish him.
Feb 17, 10:56 AM
Dec 2021
anyone know the song when Jinshi carry Maomao?
Feb 17, 11:04 AM

Feb 2021
I heard that the Go game transitioning to stones in the OP is a subtle spoiler, and now I finally understand it. It's so damn good.

Yep, that court lady is totally Suirei.
Every incident becoming connected like this is so epic
Judging by what I learned by watching Kingdom, that was a coronation.
Best episode so far, holy shit. But I wonder why did Lakan looks so shocked that Maomao managed to save Jinshi. I have a hard time believing that he just underestimated her, because he's seen her solve all these other cases. (I personally believe that Lakan played a big part in this and actually wanted Maomao to fail.)
EmbientFeb 17, 12:05 PM
Feb 17, 11:08 AM
May 2021
What an ep omg!! 😭😭😭 maomao my precious she got hurt :(
Feb 17, 11:19 AM

Apr 2010
Ending on big cliffhangers seems to be a trend this week.
I hope Moamoa won't have anything mayor from this, she went to far in provoking that soldier.
She did manage to save Jinshi even if she didn't know if was him.
Guess next week needs a explanation.
Feb 17, 11:21 AM

Aug 2021
this was a really great episode. i've enjoyed this a lot since the beginning but it tends to get a bit off track at times and i was waiting for a stand out episode to change the trajectory of it all and this was it
Feb 17, 11:24 AM

Mar 2021
Simply a magnificent episode, Nothing will stop Maomao from stopping a disaster from happening. I really hope she isn't seriously injured from saving Master Jinshi.
Feb 17, 11:34 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to jennythanh
@jennythanh Did some detective work myself and found out its "蒼空の炎" (Sōkū no honō?) by Takenaka Daichi (竹中だいち), but I have not found a full version of it, sadly. Hoping for a full release soon!

Feb 17, 11:36 AM

Jul 2011
Maomao became the top palace investigator in the past year.

Maomao got a serious concussion and was steadily bleeding from a deep cut.

I wonder if Lakan's expression was more about the plan failing or almost killing Maomao.

After all this ordeal, I hope Jinshi will give Maomao a personal assistant/bodyguard.
Feb 17, 11:45 AM

Apr 2015
OMG so much emotions, this was the best episode of the series so far.

The last scene with Jinshi and Maomao made me tear up a little.

Also i want the head of that stupid guard that hit my girl.
Feb 17, 11:45 AM

Jul 2017
What an episode. There were definitely some slower episodes to sit through, some not quite as interesting as others on its own but as a part of a collective setup for this episode, it was worth it. Maomao took a brutal hit by one of the guards to her face, put her reputation and head on the line and even took a deep cut to her leg to save the person performing the ritual in the ceremony, being Jinshi, but she managed to do her job and protect him from the fatal flaw that was the tampered falling beams. The scene with Jinshi carrying an unconscious and bleeding Maomao with the court and everyone in shock and bowing down to him did leave me with some chills, that was great. It shows how not only important he is in his real role given his nobility and ritual he was performing, but how so many things across weeks of content and months of elaborate setup in different events led to this. Again, the way everything connected together to create this humongous conspiracy and event was great and really did make some of those middle episodes to be absolutely worth it here and for what is to come soon. The overall execution and direction of this episode was pretty damn great and the music towards the end made the scene feel even more intense in its weight than I could have imagined.

This episode was filled with tension, drama, an intense last few minutes, and great direction throughout. One of the standout episodes for sure and boy did this show deliver big time here, while retroactively making some of those episodes that dragged a bit in the middle, just a hair better each.
Feb 17, 11:55 AM

Dec 2022
she got wasted fellas
i think she hates that she needed lakhans help but she swallowed her pride to save jinshi
also why was lakhan dumbfounded also i think lakhan did not commit the incident though he might have some clue because the cases related to the incident were passed by him which makes me even more confused
i just want to know what is lakahan thinking
Feb 17, 11:59 AM
Sep 2020
Lakhan face for me is for discovering Jinshi is the

Feb 17, 12:01 PM
Dec 2021
Polkagris said:
@jennythanh Did some detective work myself and found out its "蒼空の炎" (Sōkū no honō?) by Takenaka Daichi (竹中だいち), but I have not found a full version of it, sadly. Hoping for a full release soon!

Thank you, I hope they will release full ver soon
Feb 17, 12:05 PM

Feb 2019
Speechless. Best episode of the series by far. All the little seemingly disjointed episodes and case of the week stuff has been building up to this and it paid off wonderfully. We ate so good today.

Episode didn’t start off too different from other recent ones. Some nice Maomao banter, comedic moments and a new case. But at this point it’s become apparent these “random” incidents aren’t so random after all. Everything seems to circle back to ceremonies. Tools, people in charge of them, etc. Someone’s planning something. Good thing we got detective Maomao on the case 😂

I want someone to look at me like Maomao looks at Jinshi when he offers her Ox gallbladders for her experiments lmao. Even Jinshi was shocked by how much her personality changed in that moment. You offer her stuff like that and Maomao will turn into Sherlock Holmes’s real quick.

Ok but the second half of this episode is where stuff started entering WTF territory for me. First of all smart of Maomao to rush over to the temple to try and stop the ceremony before disaster struck. She unfortunately didn’t think thru the fact that she is a simple servant, albeit a highly respected one, but still unlikely that anyone would stop a ceremony because she says so.

I like how you see her kinda try several different methods to get the guard to let her in. Begging, appealing rationally and then of course baiting him into a reaction but did he seriously need to hit her with a weapon?? I’m glad I skipped the preview for this week episode because seeing Maomao’s face swollen and bloodied was wild.

Even wilder that Lakan was there the whole time and could’ve spoke up before his presumable daughter got struck like that.. but I can’t lie he did come in clutch at the end with helping her get into the ceremony and ultimately save Jinshi

Speaking of which, wtf! Why is Jinshi there? Again kinda already could tell because of all the hints and foreshadowing, but this basically confirms that he’s related to the emperor, likely his brother. Which was hinted at back in the first cour with the whole baby fiasco. Think Lakan reaction was all of our reaction in that moment, sheer utter disbelief.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen that look on Jinshi face either. He looked like he was about to cry when he saw Maomao face and leg.. the ending scene of him carrying her leaving a bloody path in their wake with that OST playing.. immaculate. I also liked the imagery of him carrying Maomao the opposite direction of Lakan.

I NEED THE NEXT EPISODE
Marinate1016Feb 17, 12:43 PM
Feb 17, 12:08 PM
Feb 2024
I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT SCENEEEEE. OH MY GOSH WHAT A MASTERPIECE I LOVE IT SO MUCH! The sense of urgency! The way Maomao pieced it all together at EXACTLY the right moment and got there as soon as she could! The guard! The timing of Lakan! I love the way her face darkened when she heard Lakan, but she couldn’t deal with him right then- someone important was in danger. The way she pushed him out of the way was beautifully done, it left me breathless.
And after all of that, after the running, mental fatigue, and actually saving Jinshi… it’s only natural to inquire after your promised Bezoar.
Feb 17, 12:16 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to BlichoBoy
Maomao became the top palace investigator in the past year.

Maomao got a serious concussion and was steadily bleeding from a deep cut.

I wonder if Lakan's expression was more about the plan failing or almost killing Maomao.

After all this ordeal, I hope Jinshi will give Maomao a personal assistant/bodyguard.
@BlichoBoy I think as far as assassination conspiracy goes, Lakan is clean as snow. If you think of it Lakan was actually investigating or requested Maomao to investigate several cases connected to conspiracy and he even used his influence to get her in to save day. Of course he might not have intent to save Jinshi originaly and only came to watch whole ordeal happen, but it's almost certain he is not one who planned it.

@Teldrasil In previous episode it was established that Lakan was well aware of who Jinshi is though.
Feb 17, 12:17 PM

Oct 2017
Lakan's angry and shocked face really described my reaction this episode. I was so angry when Maomao was hit but then things event got worse. Stuff happened so fast this episode that I was shocked to even react. Now Jinshi carrying Maomao looked epic and all with the ost but he should have been really hurrying cause Maomao was bleeding and unconscious.

So someone was targetting Jinshi all along and all the short cases we were getting were actually part of a big plan. Love it when mystery animes do this, when things connect. Great episode.
MegamiRemMar 27, 11:56 PM
Feb 17, 12:17 PM

Jan 2016
To think all those random cases from before would lead into such a bigger one... Just wow, this one of the best anime I've seen in a long time
Can't wait to see what is going to happen to our 2 MCs now that his identity is revealed, hopefully nothing changes.

I've never felt such an anger before until that guard hit Maomao in the face. Wish I was there to knock him out (would probably lose)
Feb 17, 12:18 PM
Jul 2023
I screamed with all that tension and exciting scenes throughout this episode. Loved it so much! Lakan's face expressions is raising curiosity as well as my doubt - How can a ceremony be so quiet that the commoners are unaware and how did nobody went after the pillar fell down even as to check if Jinshi was doing okay? Doesn't make any sense.
Feb 17, 12:26 PM

Oct 2013
i was waiting for this episode! ...
even though i already read the novel & knew what was going to happen but wow watching it animated with the added soundtrack gave me a wild experience ...
they did an amazing job honestly through the whole series but this ep is excellent
Sep 2020
Reply to Tenzen12
@BlichoBoy I think as far as assassination conspiracy goes, Lakan is clean as snow. If you think of it Lakan was actually investigating or requested Maomao to investigate several cases connected to conspiracy and he even used his influence to get her in to save day. Of course he might not have intent to save Jinshi originaly and only came to watch whole ordeal happen, but it's almost certain he is not one who planned it.

@Teldrasil In previous episode it was established that Lakan was well aware of who Jinshi is though.
@Tenzen12 Probably he was not certain and now he's
May 2018
Reply to crazyanderewitch
I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT SCENEEEEE. OH MY GOSH WHAT A MASTERPIECE I LOVE IT SO MUCH! The sense of urgency! The way Maomao pieced it all together at EXACTLY the right moment and got there as soon as she could! The guard! The timing of Lakan! I love the way her face darkened when she heard Lakan, but she couldn’t deal with him right then- someone important was in danger. The way she pushed him out of the way was beautifully done, it left me breathless.
And after all of that, after the running, mental fatigue, and actually saving Jinshi… it’s only natural to inquire after your promised Bezoar.
@crazyanderewitch
Omg same, they did it so much better than I could have imagined too
Feb 17, 12:31 PM

Apr 2014
One of the episodes I was waiting for! Cackled at Jinshi creeping from behind a pillar.

Crying that Mao Mao got hurt but I bet she'll be fine. But god damn her wounds are quite serious but why would he just let it bleed without wrapping it up. PLUS, that song that played through the carry sequence is so powerful. I need the translation of the lyrics because I think it'll hit harder.
Feb 17, 12:33 PM

Oct 2014
2nd best episode so far (behind Ep. 4). Still, why didn't Jinshi get Maomao to a doctor (either call for an attendant to carry her to one or even carry her himself to one quickly)? Or at the very least do some first aid (like binding her leg to stop the bleeding)?

He doesn't seem to be the clueless kind who'd just 100% assume she'd died and just up and carry her away slowly. I mean, walking through all those bowing court officials made for a seriously cool and tender scene but only if AFTER he'd at least wrapped her leg with something to stop the bleeding.

Still 5/5 episode (and 2nd best so far) but the last bit doesn't make sense.
8oomerFeb 17, 2:16 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Feb 17, 12:40 PM

Mar 2023
Best episode in this series. That was intense. Made good use of previous not yet connected episodes too.
Feb 17, 12:52 PM

May 2020
another amazing episode
maomao is by far the best female lead I've seen
can't wait for more

also, why dint Jinshi call for a doctor or someone else
bro really said imma do the Kaneki walk

Feb 17, 12:53 PM
Jul 2021
OMG … definitely jumped to high god tier … Maomao has, for me, moved up into solid competition with Frieren-san for character of the year … this episode ended with a great twist of my heartstrings!
Feb 17, 12:53 PM

Jul 2012
Loved this episode. Feel really sad for Maomao though. The ending scene where Jinshi walked past Lakan gave me goosebumps.
Feb 17, 12:58 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to Teldrasil
@Tenzen12 Probably he was not certain and now he's
@Teldrasil Lakan was able figure whole conspiracy behind assassination attempt. Figuring Jinshi identity to point of certainity would be much easier. Plus, even if it was case and he wasnt sure, if he suspected it he would no longer be shocked by it.
Feb 17, 1:07 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Feb 17, 1:11 PM

Apr 2018
That was a brutal face hit.

Lakan's face realizing the true identity of Jinshi is priceless.
Feb 17, 1:15 PM
Jul 2022
Ken Kaneki reference on top 🗣️‼️
Feb 17, 1:22 PM
Nov 2022
jennythanh said:

Yes someone please help I need the song. I got chills watching that scene and had to replay it like five times. It wasn’t in the manga but they did such a good job adding it into the animation. For a second I forgot I was watching an anime and not a historical kdrama..
Feb 17, 1:25 PM

Nov 2012
Lakan's expression is more like he is figuring out how badly hurt maomao is, I think..
Maomao didn't face him after all, so he didn't realize how badly hurt she is by the hit, I guess.
Lakan cherish maomao the most, seeing her came out carried by Jinshi, bleed and unconscious on top must shock him to the core...

Lakan already know Jinshi identity as in the previous episode he said he can't do anything if Jinshi refuse to hand over maomao as he can't go against Jinshi's word because of Jinshi's higher position.
Even Jinshi conclude that Lakan already know his real identity.
ExillFeb 17, 1:31 PM
Feb 17, 1:41 PM

Aug 2022
Wow... I'm currently watching season 2 of Fruits Basket and I almost shed a tear here and there, but this episode of The Apothecary Diaries had me totally sobbing by the end! I wonder if Maomao hates her blood father because she knows that he's passed syphilis on to her mother, but I didn't actually catch if she even knows that courtesan is her mother at all. Her selflessness and courage in standing up to that soldier to save a noble of the Royal House, despite the risk of getting into trouble, and possibly even being beheaded or beaten to a pulp, until her blood father stepped in and Maomao was able to sprint into the temple just in time to save Jinshi at the last minute, only to get even more badly injured... And seeing Jinshi carrying her in his arms, while even her father was left speechless and shocked, with her unconscious and bleeding, and Jinshi, whose sadness and concern was written all over his face... not to mention that beautiful insert song during the scene... I just couldn't stop the tears from flowing! 😭😭😭 What a truly beautiful episode this was!! This anime has already earned a 10/10 in my heart, but by my own rule, I will have to wait until the end of the season first. 🥲

Feb 17, 1:45 PM

Jul 2017
For the people who think Lakan is suspicious,
Feb 17, 1:47 PM

Jul 2013
DAMN.

This show has been a solid 8-9/10 (a few boring episodes here and there but overall excellent), and we still have 5 episodes left to go, but based on this episode I might end up rating this a 10/10.

Obviously the finale was incredible, but the fact that we the audience were lulled into a false sense of security with the "baddie of the week" format just for the author to go "BAM! It was all important, actually :)" is so DIVINE. Sincerely a *chefs kiss* moment.
Feb 17, 1:48 PM
Mar 2020
i thought for some time she was dead
Feb 17, 2:08 PM
Oct 2020
Reply to Mihaeroff
That was a brutal face hit.

Lakan's face realizing the true identity of Jinshi is priceless.
@Mihaeroff I think Lakan already knew the true identity of Jinshi.
Feb 17, 2:10 PM
Jun 2020
It was Episode 19, I should've expected something coming...
Feb 17, 2:13 PM
Dec 2022
WHAT!!! Why it end like that, I NEED answers!!!
Feb 17, 2:38 PM

Apr 2013
Some peoples may not like it, but this what peak writing looks like. Very satisfying episode to go through, even while already knowing what would happen beforehand.
Feb 17, 2:41 PM
Oct 2023
It is considered a crime in 193 countries to end an episode on this caliber of cliff-hanger.
Feb 17, 2:47 PM

Nov 2017
Oh my!!! This eps sooooo good. Jinshi so fckign chill when carrying maomao.

Feb 17, 3:19 PM

Jan 2023
By far the best episode in one of the best anime in recent times. That sense of urgency being amplified by the music hits HARD.
Feb 17, 3:26 PM

Nov 2017
OMG amazing! Jinshi's rescue with a bloodied Mao Mao really surprised and impressed me! All accompanied by a beautiful OST that added an even more captivating dimension to the scene. It's the best episode of the season so far!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

257 by gabri-ns »»
Yesterday, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

203 by TheOtherJN »»
May 13, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

113 by badabass »»
May 11, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 2

95 by Playcool »»
May 11, 12:50 PM

» How do you guys feel about Jinshi?

Sanjay63773 - Mar 29

30 by Runasius »»
May 9, 9:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.