Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 25, 10:32 PM

Sep 2018
Interesting, it wasn't the sequel I thought we were going to get, but it was still a good watch nevertheless. An open ending as well? That smile at the end to Laurent brings all sorts of questions with it. 8/10.
Feb 26, 12:08 AM

Jul 2016
Hoped for more Laurent in a Great Pretender spinoff but this was still cool as its own thing.

And lmao they really snuck in a Trump joke.
Feb 28, 1:02 PM
Dec 2022
why won't they let me add this is my completed
Mar 2, 2:35 PM

Aug 2012
Reply to 0451
If it wasn't not MAL I wouldn't even know that this came out. Netflix did a shit job again marketing this show. In fact, it may be worse than last time. It sucks cause Great Pretender deserves better.

MAL deserves some insulting too. It's been months but you can't put this movie as Completed. What the fuck is wrong?

Anyway, this was an okay movie I guess. It didn't keep me on edge like the show did.

I knew this movie was mostly going to be about Dorothy and some new characters but I couldn't really care about them that much. I wanted to see Edamame, Cynthia, Abby, and the blonde asshole back. It sucks that Abby and Cynthia didn't even make any visual appearance. I don't think Cynthia even had any voice lines. I just wanted to see the old gang back.

The story of this movie was decent. I was expecting more of a closure with Dorothy and Laurent. But the ending just left me wanting for more. Hopefully, this movie isn't the end and we'll get a proper Season 2 in the same style as Season 1! That'd be amazing.
@0451 Its not a Netflix show indeed the movie its on crunchy
Mar 4, 7:01 AM
Jan 2024
it was a nice movie I don't like the overarching plot the antagonist were a joke still the ending was nice seeing laurent and Dorothy meet after long time 7/10 ig
Mar 12, 5:18 AM

Apr 2012
You know an anime is pretty keen on appealing to Western audiences when you hear references to Harry Potter, DiCaprio and Trump in an hour and a half, lmao. Also, this might be the first anime to directly mention K-Pop as a pop culture reference?

Anyway, while it doesn't quite seem to retain the vibe of the original show (the original show also had that many toilet jokes?), I'm liking it so far and first "four episodes" leaves me expecting more in the next three films. Including what will happen to this love-hite between the new Taiwanese characters. It seems that their love story is clearly not over yet. And how often will we see the original cast as part of this? The ending seems promising in this regard.
RobertBobertMar 12, 5:22 AM
Mar 12, 5:24 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to FarCritical
Hoped for more Laurent in a Great Pretender spinoff but this was still cool as its own thing.

And lmao they really snuck in a Trump joke.
@FarCritical I understand their attempt to joke about Trump to appeal to a Western audience in one form or another, but it confuses me that even an amnesiac American couldn’t know who Trump is, lmao.
Mar 18, 8:43 PM

Aug 2016
aint no one gonna address how Laurent has her necklace and ring and here she is wearing it like nothing happened?
Mar 20, 9:41 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to d0main
aint no one gonna address how Laurent has her necklace and ring and here she is wearing it like nothing happened?
@d0main

She got it at the end of the OG series when Laurent threw it away.
Mar 22, 5:41 PM

Aug 2016
@JJJJAnime13 by the time he threw it away after his revenge, a few years have passed. Meanwhile she had it for much longer and without even her memory of why she has it
Mar 22, 6:34 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to d0main
@JJJJAnime13 by the time he threw it away after his revenge, a few years have passed. Meanwhile she had it for much longer and without even her memory of why she has it
@d0main

At the end of the OG series. Past the end credits. Dorothy’s parents finds the ring stuck in a fish and they gave it to her. The scene ends with her saying “not bad” while holding the ring.
JJJJAnime13Mar 22, 6:44 PM
Mar 24, 9:08 AM

Aug 2016
Reply to JJJJAnime13
@d0main

At the end of the OG series. Past the end credits. Dorothy’s parents finds the ring stuck in a fish and they gave it to her. The scene ends with her saying “not bad” while holding the ring.
@JJJJAnime13 o.O didnt see this, also crazy for that to even happen :D
Mar 24, 11:02 AM
Oct 2020
Wait so are there 4 episodes or one ?
Mar 25, 9:08 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to UltimateKai
@UltimateKai

Four episodes combined into one movie.
Mar 25, 9:08 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to UltimateKai
@UltimateKai

Four episodes combined into one movie.
Mar 25, 9:12 AM
Jan 2024
Perfume smell can last on clothing anywhere from a couple of hours to just a few days. It’s been around 10 years or so in the anime timeline, but the box of clothes still has Laurent’s smell. Did he went back to the place to spray his perfume on it?
Apr 18, 2:34 AM
Sep 2022
Can't say that I like this story more than the anime. It is 6 at best.

The anime series felt more complete than this movie. This movie leaves a bad aftertaste for me. It felt more like an another story rather than a continuation of the anime series. Dorothy's temporary boyfriend, another bustling of syndicate, travelling around the world, the elements of the Great Pretender is still there, it just doesn't resonate with me well. Cool art, background, and music though from Wit Studio (and the staffs) for delivering a good anime.

Another thing is that, isn't Dorothy in loved with Laurent? but I guess the 10 years gap of amnesia is the fault for it. That, or people today just hop from one person to another.
May 4, 12:58 PM

Sep 2019

This movie was really confusing.
Like it missed all the usual "clean-up" the story had in the tv-show, where you'd find out who was working with whom etc.
Which to me is very important, because without it we're just left to our own speculation. And tbh, this show and genre lives from setting up suspension, throwing out clues and red herrings and finally clearing everything up so we can see if our own theories where correct or not.

The artstyle was still very pretty and really the best about the movie.

5 / 10, it's ok, but way worse than the tv show was.

I'm not reading any replies or comments directed at me at all. I know my truth and if you disagree: that's fine but i couldn't give a damn about :)

May 4, 2:25 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
You know an anime is pretty keen on appealing to Western audiences when you hear references to Harry Potter, DiCaprio and Trump in an hour and a half, lmao. Also, this might be the first anime to directly mention K-Pop as a pop culture reference?

Anyway, while it doesn't quite seem to retain the vibe of the original show (the original show also had that many toilet jokes?), I'm liking it so far and first "four episodes" leaves me expecting more in the next three films. Including what will happen to this love-hite between the new Taiwanese characters. It seems that their love story is clearly not over yet. And how often will we see the original cast as part of this? The ending seems promising in this regard.
RobertBobert said:
I'm liking it so far and first "four episodes" leaves me expecting more in the next three films. Including what will happen to this love-hite between the new Taiwanese characters. It seems that their love story is clearly not over yet. And how often will we see the original cast as part of this? The ending seems promising in this regard.
What next three films?
May 4, 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
RobertBobert said:
I'm liking it so far and first "four episodes" leaves me expecting more in the next three films. Including what will happen to this love-hite between the new Taiwanese characters. It seems that their love story is clearly not over yet. And how often will we see the original cast as part of this? The ending seems promising in this regard.
What next three films?
@MegamiRem Nevermind, I misunderstood the announcement and thought we were going to have 4 separate movies rather than one of 4 episodes.
May 4, 2:36 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@MegamiRem Nevermind, I misunderstood the announcement and thought we were going to have 4 separate movies rather than one of 4 episodes.
@RobertBobert Yeah thought so, np was just clarifying things.
May 4, 2:37 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert Yeah thought so, np was just clarifying things.
@MegamiRem I don't know if someone confused me or if I confused myself, but it seemed logical to me, since I expected the length of an entire series.
May 4, 2:40 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@MegamiRem I don't know if someone confused me or if I confused myself, but it seemed logical to me, since I expected the length of an entire series.
@RobertBobert They can always make a sequel and with how this movie was I have a feeling that'll be the case.
May 4, 2:45 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to MegamiRem
@RobertBobert They can always make a sequel and with how this movie was I have a feeling that'll be the case.
@MegamiRem Well, I wouldn't call myself a big fan of the franchise, but I was disappointed with the ending of this installment. I literally thought that this was just a temporary ending to the case and that new content awaits us further.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender: Razbliuto Episode 2 Discussion

Worvrammu - May 7

0 by Worvrammu »»
May 7, 3:17 PM

» Still can't set this as "Completed"

0451 - Mar 16

15 by Rexnihilo »»
Mar 24, 1:48 PM

» Was Laurent & Dorothy based off Fujiko & Lupin?

JJJJAnime13 - Mar 18

1 by deg »»
Mar 18, 9:36 AM

» Laughing at the clever title

GanguroGal - Jan 9

3 by JJJJAnime13 »»
Mar 16, 8:39 AM

» Any reason MAL says this is still airing?

magicaldahomie - Mar 2

22 by raff-rafflesia »»
Mar 15, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.