Forum Settings
Forums

Will MAL ever stop THAT toxic fandom from making a joke of the ratings system?

New
Dec 29, 2023 3:46 PM

Mar 2021
Not saying names, but a certain fandom has made the rankings here a joke for far too long. When someone cries foul they get moderated. Stop defending and excusing toxicity. Go to any other site and mention MAL ratings and you usually get at least one, "That sites a joke, don't go by it's ratings".....wanna guess why?

Edit: For real, just create a Hall of Fame, put shows that have maintained a high enough rating for x amount of years there, and remove them from the ratings system. Win/Win. Fans get to see their show in a place of honor and respect, and new shows can be ranked fairly.
KainiusTheGreatDec 29, 2023 4:40 PM
Dec 29, 2023 10:24 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Why do you care about something as arbitrary and pointless as aggregated ratings?
Dec 29, 2023 10:53 PM

Dec 2023
wait, im new, can someone explain? or say names?
Dec 30, 2023 12:38 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to ACasualViewer
Why do you care about something as arbitrary and pointless as aggregated ratings?
@ACasualViewer Why wouldn't I when this is also a sight to discover anime. How does the site facilitate that? Mostly ratings. When the ratings are sabotaged the whole purpose is defeated. When the ratings system was implemented I bet the site's creator wasn't thinking, "You know what I want? I want my site I worked so hard on to become a laughing stock because ONE group of people are allowed to be toxic obsessives."

Like, let people be super fans but when it's detrimental to the sites reputation and overall community health, something is wrong. Hence my idea being a peaceful compromise to attempt to right this wayward ship.
Dec 30, 2023 2:29 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to KainiusTheGreat
@ACasualViewer Why wouldn't I when this is also a sight to discover anime. How does the site facilitate that? Mostly ratings. When the ratings are sabotaged the whole purpose is defeated. When the ratings system was implemented I bet the site's creator wasn't thinking, "You know what I want? I want my site I worked so hard on to become a laughing stock because ONE group of people are allowed to be toxic obsessives."

Like, let people be super fans but when it's detrimental to the sites reputation and overall community health, something is wrong. Hence my idea being a peaceful compromise to attempt to right this wayward ship.
KainiusTheGreat said:
a sight to discover anime

There are other means of discovering anime besides the top rated section. Plus most people only go a dozen or so pages down before stopping, so they only view a tiny portion of the DB at a time when it barely changes over the span of a year.

Stacks, reviews, and recommendations are a better way of sharing new and unknown anime and manga.

KainiusTheGreat said:
When the ratings are sabotaged

A couple of years ago, yes. But now it's basically impossible. If they are still being sabotaged now, how so?

You think new anime reaching the top 10 is sabotaging the ratings system? Clearly you don't understand the concept of time and how people rate anime on this site. New shows that reach the top 10 always drop down. You clearly weren't here when Interspecies Reviewers came close to overtaking FMAB, or when each new Gintama season came out. Anyone who's been on MAL for a few years know how the system works.

You cannot control how people can vote.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Dec 30, 2023 2:43 AM

Apr 2016
who cares? It's really not that deep. If you didn't enjoy it, you could always give it a low score. It's not as if you can stop people from giving it a high rating.
Dec 30, 2023 4:19 AM

Feb 2010

@KainiusTheGreat

ACasualViewer said:

It's disturbing a moderator has such a condescending response for you when you just have a simple question and suggestion O_o Sorry you had an encounter like this, not all the mods are this bad. Suggestions board is useless anyways, merely for venting after the site creator starting to exit. Seems to be more effective to post suggestions in new Announcements or become staff then make suggestions from there.

They don't realize ppl care because the ratings are, um, there lol. MAL has addressed these so many times in the past and they leave it up for all to see, right? So it's not pointless. But, arbitrary, yes. Sadly! I like the suggestion and you make some good points, I also really appreciate the passion, but since at this point it's like Youtube dislikes and just something that has to be accepted. Personally I think there could be a separate combined approved reviewers score which would be more fair (hopefully) and a viewer could see if the anime is just downvote bombed by haters. Kinda the opposite of what happens with terrible movies and games on review sites lmao. But then you see ppl like this in the review staff and it's like... yeah we're fucked lol.

btw I've also seen this level of attitude from the same mod defending the review changes literally everyone hates- definitely supports my theory they influenced the current review system and their attitude won't let them admit that the universally-hated changes were terrible and should be dialed back. I have seen a couple improvements after all the terrible feedback but there's still many problems if you actually try to use reviews, like the emoji system and there's no way to respond to idiotic reviews besides, ironically, "FUNNY! emoji". lol such a mess. Unfortunately if someone like this is indeed influencing changes as I suspect, then you can't expect changes the more passionate community would agree with. If they don't like that conclusion then they need to adjust the attitude and staff overall could be more transparent

Shishio-kunDec 30, 2023 4:23 AM
Dec 30, 2023 4:43 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to ACasualViewer
@ACasualViewer this site is doomed with moderators like you

anyway if you staff change the numerical ratings to emoji reactions then i might say thats a better system
degDec 30, 2023 5:11 AM
Dec 30, 2023 5:00 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to ACasualViewer
@ACasualViewer I don't agree with the OP's rant/suggestion but I really don't think a review mod of all people should give such a reply. And aggregated ratings are definitely not pointless, lots of people use the MAL score as a factor in deciding if they should watch an anime or not.
<Insert clever quote>
Dec 30, 2023 8:48 AM

Feb 2021
I don't really like how the MAL top rankings is so easily influenced by recency bias, I mean we had the last season of Kaguya-sama being considered "the greatest anime of all time" when really most people only remember the last few episodes, while the rest of the season was just normal Kaguya stuff...
Dec 30, 2023 12:49 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Reply to KainiusTheGreat

@KainiusTheGreat

So just to be clear, the one series that we're talking about here that is typically in the first place spot isn't really there due to cheating or score manipulation. Sockpuppet accounts are not considered in the scoring, you may see people making such accounts and giving something a 1 and another series a 10, but it doesn't actually do anything. The users who think they are being clever and writing a review for each series they provide a score to and write in their episode discussion threads are also pissing into the wind because it does nothing. They are simply wasting their time.

While its possible to make an elaborate account that actually gets counted in the scoring, it's such a huge amount of effort that it wouldn't be a path worth pursuing. Users who vote up X show to first place and vote down Y shows so they aren't first place are doing so with their main account and ultimately they have every right to vote whatever they want on their list, its entirely arbitrary and we can't force them to vote a certain way or be "objective" in how they rate a piece of media.
Dec 30, 2023 1:14 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Is this about FMAB? People need to really get over that show, always see people complaining that it is ranked too high or whatever...

Feb 6, 5:52 AM

Sep 2019
Shishio-kun said:
Suggestions board is useless anyways, merely for venting after the site creator starting to exit

I feel you 100% on this, unfortunately.
Did you know that Notes are public? How do you personally use them?
Cast your vote and add a reply to this suggestion to let the devs know:
Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)
Feb 6, 8:28 AM

Sep 2016
KainiusTheGreat said:
certain fandom has made the rankings here a joke
Rightfully so, mean scores are just collective opinions and these sometimes are a joke.

KainiusTheGreat said:
Stop defending and excusing toxicity
No, that would kill freedom of speech.

KainiusTheGreat said:
put shows that have maintained a high enough rating for x amount of years there, and remove them from the ratings system
No thanks, MAL isn't reddit with their crappy archive system.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 6, 9:31 AM

Jun 2012
The trend of a new series reaching a high standing and quickly falling off is a known phenomenon called recency bias. People favour the things within their immediate perception, and regard fades as things the next attraction arrives.

I think you're equating common human behaviour to third-party manipulation.
Feb 7, 5:45 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Ochimusha
The trend of a new series reaching a high standing and quickly falling off is a known phenomenon called recency bias. People favour the things within their immediate perception, and regard fades as things the next attraction arrives.

I think you're equating common human behaviour to third-party manipulation.
@KABOCHACONSOMME The opposite, actually. Whenever a new anime sits at #1 THAT fandom swoops it with 1's and clearly uninformed negative reviews...this is knowledge that is so common that even people who don't use MAL know about it and make fun of it.
Feb 7, 5:57 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
KainiusTheGreat said:
certain fandom has made the rankings here a joke
Rightfully so, mean scores are just collective opinions and these sometimes are a joke.

KainiusTheGreat said:
Stop defending and excusing toxicity
No, that would kill freedom of speech.

KainiusTheGreat said:
put shows that have maintained a high enough rating for x amount of years there, and remove them from the ratings system
No thanks, MAL isn't reddit with their crappy archive system.
@Zarutaku I'm sorry about your reading comprehension skills, bro. Try reading all of a sentence before being butthurt by it (those last halves really do contain important info most of the time) and also try not letting what you THINK you're reading overwrite what is actually written.

Also, you may wanna take a chill on this oppositional personality you've got...it's unattractive. Calling to stop the defense of toxicity IS NOT a violation of freedom of speech, it's IN FACT a call to protect freedom of speech (in spite of what you think, when one group cuts down another's opinion by force so frequently it prevents others from voicing their opinion....that is ANTI-freedom, said fandom is guilty of that)...where you got your idea is just daft and horribly misguided.
Feb 7, 6:19 AM

Sep 2016
KainiusTheGreat said:
Calling to stop the defense of toxicity IS NOT a violation of freedom of speech
That's not what I said, it's the lack of such a defense that would give rise to repressive anti-hate speech laws and these would kill freedom of speech.
I am not approving hate speech in general but it must not become prohibited by law.

KainiusTheGreat said:
you may wanna take a chill on this oppositional personality you've got...it's unattractive
I'm oppositional whenever I feel there is a need for it, also I have no intent to appear attractive in some anonymous online forum.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.

More topics from this board

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - Yesterday

2 by _cjessop19_ »»
6 hours ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
Yesterday, 9:50 AM

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
Yesterday, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.