Forum Settings
Forums

Anime / manga episode / release countdowns and notifications

New
Jun 3, 2023 6:22 AM

Mar 2008
This has sort of been suggested before a few times but some are way back before the latest owners of MAL but I think since these are all related it makes more sense to bundle it all together.

Currently we do have anime series start notification and a database entry notification but we also need a few other things.

Some users dont watch a series until it has been completed so there should be a series completion notification option.

There also should be on the seasonal anime page episode countdowns like AniChart has taking into account episode delays.

There should be an option for episode (number here) aired notification once it finishes it's timeslot or is otherwise available.

There also needs to be a manga release (chapter or volume depends how they release) countdown (though less specific on timing just down to the day not hour and minute) and notification-option (MangaUpdates keeps track of what the latest release was). Though I could understand that one maybe being passed up since there is a huge amount of ongoing manga out there and it can go on hiatus so a lot has to be kept up on to keep it accurate). Alternatively you could have manga chapter thread creation as a notification as a way of getting around the difficulty keeping up on release dates for everything.

The countdowns also should be optionally available on our own user lists so we can more easily keep up on knowing what is coming up

Some of these features actually were being worked on in past but didnt come to fruition for some reason.

Related threads
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=12211
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1516326
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2057524
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1602606
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=3672
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1398320
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1759733
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1441657
Jun 3, 2023 7:44 AM

Jun 2021
+1! I checked the related threads too and +1 to those suggestions too.

For now, we have

although they're not native to the site.

For manga, MangaUpdates has a New Releases section. For manhwa, WEBTOONS has a daily schedule.

It would be nice to have those notifications and countdown on the site in addition to the Seasonal Anime page (Our New Seasonal Anime Page is Here!).

More related threads:
Notification for when an anime on plan to watch list has finished airing.
IridescentJauneJun 3, 2023 8:16 AM
Jun 8, 2023 3:00 AM

Jul 2009
A notification for when a new episode is aired is my top wanted feature.
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ²γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³γ€€
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€Cursorγ€€Natureγ€€reserveγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦‹γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦©γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ•γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ²γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ§γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
Jun 9, 2023 3:33 AM

Jun 2021
thinkpad said:
A notification for when a new episode is aired is my top wanted feature.

MAL has that in the app but not on the desktop version. I do receive notifications in the app like "Episode X is out. Tell us your thoughts!"

AniList has that feature on their site. They notify users when an episode aired, when a title received site data changes and was recently added to the site.
Jun 13, 2023 3:18 PM

Mar 2008
IridescentJaune said:
thinkpad said:
A notification for  when a new episode is aired is my top wanted feature.

MAL has that in the app but not on the desktop version. I do receive notifications in the app like "Episode X is out. Tell us your thoughts!"

AniList has that feature on their site. They notify users when an episode aired, when a title received site data changes and was recently added to the site.
It's weird how they implement features selectively this way. While yeah I can see why an app has the advantage since it's always logged in so a user will get every notification but if they put it on the desktop and mobile site itself that would encourage users to log in more if they like using that feature. Some users keep websites open in tabs all day every day. Do they not realize this? 
Jun 13, 2023 4:10 PM

Jun 2021
traed said:
IridescentJaune said:

It's weird how they implement features selectively this way. While yeah I can see why an app has the advantage since it's always logged in so a user will get every notification but if they put it on the desktop and mobile site itself that would encourage users to log in more if they like using that feature. Some users keep websites open in tabs all day every day. Do they not realize this? 

They should also enable that feature on the desktop version and maybe an option to receive notifs in our e-mail inbox too (so people could either opt-in or opt-out).
Jun 13, 2023 4:53 PM

Jan 2009
ye i suggested this a while back too but still no action not even a reply from the devs or staff
Jun 13, 2023 5:48 PM

Mar 2008
deg said:
ye i suggested this a while back too but still no action not even a reply from the devs or staff
Have the devs ever even used the forums to post? Seems we only hear from them through the admins.  
Jun 13, 2023 7:42 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
deg said:
Have the devs ever even used the forums to post? Seems we only hear from them through the admins.  

true and only Kineta seems to be in contact with the devs too
Jun 13, 2023 8:11 PM

Mar 2008
deg said:
traed said:
true and only Kineta seems to be in contact with the devs too
I had recently seen tingy mention her contacting devs about something so she does as well apparently. 
Jul 25, 2023 2:02 AM

Mar 2008
Necrobumping in the night
Jan 13, 6:08 PM
Jun 2023
I agree!! I would love an episode aired notification, as right now I'm trying to use the Reminders app but I feel like it takes too much time to set up
Jan 13, 8:01 PM

Jun 2021
Here's a fairly new one: MangAlert by Uji_Gintoki_Bowl.

The name has manga in it but the site has alerts for both anime and manga.

"MangAlert is an email service that alerts users when followed manga/anime serializations have come to an end. Users can also view entries in their plan-to-watch and plan-to-read list that have finished serialization, stratified by recent/old completion."
(Source: Mangalert's GitHub repo)

MAL Thread: MangAlert - Serialization End Alert Service
GitHub: mangalert

For more, check: Everything that connects to MyAnimeList.. Although I've mentioned most of the relevant ones in my previous post.
Jan 19, 6:24 AM
Aug 2023
+1 for the chapter (or volume) release notification !
It's a must when you want to follow several ongoing mangas, instead of searching every day/week/month if a new chapter has been published.

I would love this feature to exist.

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
1 hour ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
2 hours ago

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 10 hours ago

1 by Astachanna »»
2 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.