Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 14, 2010 8:36 AM

Jan 2010
I have evidence that show the Japanese do like and love English dub on anime.

Mania.com has a topic on that

highlighted summary:

--Kunihiko Ikuhara liked Rachael Lillis' performance as Utena in the movie, at least enough to name his car "Rachael".
-Hiroshi Nagahama "enthusiastically approved" of the English dub for Mushishi when he heard it
-Vic Mignogna was recognized at a Japanese restaurant in Japan as the voice of Ed from FMA when he paid with his credit card. Vic later took picture and sign autograph for the Japanese fan.
-Before we knew the initial release for Clannad would be sub-only, some members of a Japanese forum made some apparently well-informed English cast guesses
-There have been episodes of the Lucky Star dub uploaded to Nico Nico Douga (Japanese YouTube) with a lot of positive, albeit surprised, comments. They even wanted to know how to get the English dub DVD.
-There's a couple interesting VA compilation vids on NND; one for Kari Wahlgren and another for Crispin Freeman. The vids include clips from various shows the actors have been in with Japanese fan subtitles. There also one with Wendee Lee and Michelle Ruff.

Also, I believe our Japanese fan in Japan has been secretly importing Funimation's dub anime on DVD. Let's not forget that:

Gundam Unicorn Japanese Blu-Ray has both English and Japanese audio

Nausicaa Japanese Blu-ray has multiple dubs including English audio

Now you can use this evidence to show the double standard dub haters that the Japanese do like our English dub. It's significant the Japanese do like our English dub on anime, it would give reason why to keep English dub in anime alive. Also this would discredit any of the dub haters when they tried to say "dub suck".
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 14, 2010 9:29 AM

Jul 2007
mdo7 said:
Also, I believe our Japanese fan in Japan has been secretly importing Funimation's dub anime on DVD.
Probably more to do with the fact that America's DVDs, especially Funimation's, are dirty cheap. I would import too if a over here DVDs were $40 for 2 episodes, while across the waters they're selling for $25 for 13 episodes

But other than that, great link, I have heard countless times that some Japanese do like English dubs. Thanks for sharing.
coolcatMay 14, 2010 9:47 AM

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
May 14, 2010 10:40 AM

Jan 2010
coolcat said:
mdo7 said:
Also, I believe our Japanese fan in Japan has been secretly importing Funimation's dub anime on DVD.
Probably more to do with the fact that America's DVDs, especially Funimation's, are dirty cheap. I would import too if a over here DVDs were $40 for 2 episodes, while across the waters they're selling for $25 for 13 episodes

But other than that, great link, I have heard countless times that some Japanese do like English dubs. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I have to put that link on so if any of you guys are curious and you can use this against dub haters. I wonder what dub haters/weeaboos/Japanese supremacists are going to say that. I know what they're going to say:

"those people are traitor to their own people, any Japanese watching English dub anime should die and burn in hell".

"They're not true anime fan and they are not true Japanese. Japanese watch anime in their own language, not crappy English dub. Any Japanese watching English dub anime are no longer Japanese."
May 14, 2010 12:12 PM

Dec 2009
mdo7 said:
a Japanese restaurant in Japan

Was that really necessary? :P

No but seriously some welcome news. Not that English dubs are automatically better - even if it helps to solve our own dub-haters problem, if the English-dubbed fans over there are anything like the Japanese-dubbed fans over here I'm not sure I want to celebrate.
May 14, 2010 12:31 PM

Jul 2007
XTApocalypse said:
mdo7 said:

Hey for all we know it could have been a Chinese restaurant, clarification is always a must. ^_^

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
May 14, 2010 1:12 PM

Jan 2010
coolcat said:
XTApocalypse said:
mdo7 said:

Hey for all we know it could have been a Chinese restaurant, clarification is always a must. ^_^

I agree with Coolcat, XTApocalypse. If I just say Japanese restaurant then they'll think it's in USA. saying the restaurant in Japan can also work. Anyway, it's significant that the Japanese do like our dub. It's discredit all dub hater. We have dub hater say Japanese don't like English dub but using this discredit the dub haters.
May 14, 2010 1:27 PM

Feb 2007
I doubt that it'd do a great deal of discrediting. It's still all subjective. If anything, it'll show that English dubs are liked in Japan. It still doesn't mean that all Japanese like it. The opinions of the Japanese hold as much value as ours.
May 14, 2010 3:03 PM

Jan 2010
Asrialys said:
I doubt that it'd do a great deal of discrediting. It's still all subjective. If anything, it'll show that English dubs are liked in Japan. It still doesn't mean that all Japanese like it. The opinions of the Japanese hold as much value as ours.

It may or may not discredit, but use it at your best.
May 16, 2010 3:31 PM

Oct 2007
Old news. Smart people have known this for a long time. Only idiots reject it.

Surprisingly, I've never heard the "they don't know our language so they don't know how bad it is" argument. Probably because only a functional retard would actually use it.
You can find me on IRC.
May 16, 2010 7:51 PM

Dec 2009
Actually that's the argument I've heard from most of the subbed fans I've spoken to capable of speaking actual English. They'd rather not be able to tell how good or bad the voice acting is in a foreign language than be able to find fault with it in their own.
May 16, 2010 8:33 PM

Jan 2010
Kuyukly said:
Old news. Smart people have known this for a long time. Only idiots reject it.

Surprisingly, I've never heard the "they don't know our language so they don't know how bad it is" argument. Probably because only a functional retard would actually use it.

The reason I put this up because I want people to use this as evidence to beat those dub hating dumbasses.
May 17, 2010 11:52 AM

Jul 2007
Well to add, there has been a lot of instance where it has been said that the Japanese would sometimes choose voice actor for certain rolls, aide in translations, and okay edits. So the Japanese would have a say in how their product is handled overseas.

So dub hater better be careful, thanks to anime companies amazing transparency, who knows what changes and decisions that you despise for no apparent reason other than it's not Japanese or not the same as the fansub where made by those you respect and believe superior.

May 17, 2010 12:55 PM

Jan 2010
coolcat said:
Well to add, there has been a lot of instance where it has been said that the Japanese would sometimes choose voice actor for certain rolls, aide in translations, and okay edits. So the Japanese would have a say in how their product is handled overseas.

So dub hater better be careful, thanks to anime companies amazing transparency, who knows what changes and decisions that you despise for no apparent reason other than it's not Japanese or not the same as the fansub where made by those you respect and believe superior.

THat's true and I believe The Japanese help with deciding the voice cast for Code Geass.
Nov 12, 2010 10:40 PM

Jul 2007
Wow, they are selling Soul Eater Blu-ray with English dub for over $300. The dub must have added that $50.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-14/soul-eater-bd-box-to-include-english-dub/sub-in-japan

God, Japanese releases are so expensive.

You know thinking about it. I think the Japanese treat English like we treat other languages. It just sounds cool. We may not understand it, but it sound cute, sexy, funny, whatever. It pretty obvious that Japan has a liking for the English language. I also think Otaku collect R1 releases just for the heck of it.

Nov 12, 2010 10:46 PM

Dec 2009
Lol. It's hard to tell how your language sounds to someone else if you've been speaking it your whole life.

On that note, it always pisses me off when fansubbers hard-translate the opening and closing scenes instead of the much easier and more efficient method of including them in the subtitles. I hate knowing what the lyrics to an opening sequence are 99% of the time. The songs are usually better when I can at least pretend the lyrics are deep or meaningful somehow. The only series I can think of where I'm glad the openings and closings were translated is Death Note - those had some nice lyrics. Otherwise? It always just ruins the experience for me.
Nov 12, 2010 10:46 PM

Aug 2010
coolcat said:
You know thinking about it. I think the Japanese treat English like we treat other languages. It just sounds cool. We may not understand it, but it sound cute, sexy, funny, whatever. It pretty obvious that Japan has a liking for the English language. I also think Otaku collect R1 releases just for the heck of it.

haha, it's true! It's funny to watch subbed anime and hear random English words thrown in there. "Lucky!" is one that I hear a lot.

Nov 12, 2010 11:41 PM

Jul 2007
The offenders are theme songs and the random English sprinkled throughout.

Nov 12, 2010 11:50 PM

Dec 2009
That can get annoying depending on the artist/song, haha. I find it amusing in anime, though. Sonic does a lot of Engrish in the Japanese dub of Sonic X. Half of which are obscenities.
Nov 13, 2010 8:05 AM

Jul 2007
I think I've become so used to it, I barely bat a eyelash.

Dec 10, 2010 7:10 AM

Jan 2010
coolcat said:
Wow, they are selling Soul Eater Blu-ray with English dub for over $300. The dub must have added that $50.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-14/soul-eater-bd-box-to-include-english-dub/sub-in-japan

God, Japanese releases are so expensive.

I have heard of this and I think we are seeing more Japanese blu-ray having English dub. I take it that English dub of anime in Japan is at a high demand.
Dec 10, 2010 8:23 AM

Dec 2009
Depends on what you define as "high." Considering that the ratio of sub-only to dual-audio R1 releases is probably somewhere between 50-50 and 25-75, if anything, the Japanese releases are taking their first baby steps.
Dec 10, 2010 5:47 PM

Jul 2007
Umm...yeah, English isn't Japan's first language, but keeping that in mind you can say high. But I think its more the cool factor and the "collect 'em all" mentality of some Japanese collectors.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.