Forums
New
Favorite yugioh spin-off btw?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 15, 2022 5:22 AM

Sep 2018
Felori said:
Nirinbo said:
Being child friendly is not the issue: Vrains is so edgy in a bad way that becomes cringe (and I usuallly like edginess), whereas Sevens was surprisingly good thanks to likable characters and varied duels; some tracks of the OST were good too. I don't understand why they had to axe it for the piece of garbage we have now, probably because they thought that a stupid alien investigation plot would sell more than slice of life.

That main character in Vrains acted like Hachiman, basically a teenage chuunibyou who thinks he's some cool shit, because he doesn't care about anyone. Or pretends to... Maybe he starts caring along the hundred episodes, but I don't know if I want to find out with 100+ episodes.

Seven seems to be okay and it's alright they targeted it at a young audience, but I don't like the Rush Duels and in general I don't feel like I want to watch it.
I think it's fine that you can draw up to five cards max in every turn; playing them out at once without any hurdles is the problem.

Vrains focused too much on the plot and forgot about proper worldbuilding or characterization. The entire personality of the main cast can be described with one sentence: "I'm traumatized because my parents are dead", the two variants being "parents caught in an accident" or "I was left in an orphanage".

Rush Duels are an interesting revamp (unlimited normal summons > convoluted effects to special summon 15 times per turn, draw 5 > convoluted graveyard effects to guarantee a follow up). Sevens' biggest problem is that the duels aren't particularly well written: I can remember only one duel in which someone actually tried to draw a lot with card effects to find the combo pieces he needed, instead of lucky draws that would be possible only if you're stacking your deck. Their saving grace is the variety (a lot of duels between secondary characters and not just MC vs everyone else).
Dec 15, 2022 5:24 AM

Feb 2020
Well the card game is still alive I know that but trying to understand the new Yu-Gi-Oh meta is annoying and difficult. The card game definitely got way more complicated and harder for new people to get into. As for the anime yeah I hear no one talking about it. Actually this is the first I'm hearing that there is a new series out.
Dec 15, 2022 5:41 AM

Aug 2017
I loved the original series and manga.

Then, from what I watched :
5D's was a fun what at first then it gets boring
Zexal is childish and ruins my suspension of disbelief.

And others seem like Zexal to me. Except GX, I'll watch it someday.

The card game is still cool though.
Dec 15, 2022 5:52 AM

May 2020
Datboi9999 said:

I disagree. I think having all of the different summoning mechanics taking place in a single series would be interesting to watch. There's more room for complexity in the matches that way IMO. And with that said, it's not like most decks utilize a lot of summoning mechanics anyways, unless you like playing Zefra or something to that effect.
Traps come in and out of relevance, with cards like infinite impermanence being introduced and taking the limelight every now and then, and decks like Eldlitch are usually run with a deck comprised of 3/4ths traps (according to the internet at least, Ive never played them). You also have decks like Traptrix that often work with a lot of trap holes.
The banned list kinda needs to exist to prevent FTKs. Granted, it's also used to somewhat push players to buy newer archtypes, which is pretty fucked up on Konami's part. If you want an example, I think this happened during the time that Wind-ups were the main meta deck. Konami banned some cards that were pivotal to the plant turbo deck, which was a tier 1 from a previous meta. I could be messing up some details, I'm mostly going off of memory for that.
I think the main problem with adapting the game as it is right now, at least if the goal is to make it realistic to meta game play, is finding a way to make the turns interesting. A lot of games can be over in two or three turns, and each turn can take a while. There's some back and forth as a player tries to build a board and the other tries to prevent with hand traps and the like, but I don't think that kind of game play would be enjoyable to watch. If they found a way around that, or they just simplified it like in the past, I think it could make a good show.
That said, take this with a grain of salt. I haven't actively played in a couple years.

Thats actually a great concept you got there!!!
Putting all types of summoning & decks revolving around one type of summoning sounds good in paper!!!
It helps people to get into the game & understand the rules better!!!
Imperm is mostly used in almost if not all decks(besides other hand TRAPS like Red Reboot or Evenly Matched) & traps only exist if someone uses a control deck(or sometimes, archetype specific traps like Branded Expulsion) which exist in around 1 to 4 per online rank matches!!!
So yeah!!!
Traps are almost non existent right now in the meta!!!
In fact, most players have a hard time reacting if theyre fighting against a control or trap heavy deck!!!
Komoney forcing players to buy cards is nothing new!!!
I remembered when Link monsters were introduced,
You cannot Fusion,Synchro,Xyz,Pendulum summon monsters unless if you have a Link monster on the field!!!
That rule alone fucked the meta & the game at that time!!!
& you are right!!!
Most players these days are solitaire players that is honestly boring to watch & play against!!!
^^So yeah!!!
I cant even imagine how will they make that interesting in an anime format!!!
Let alone, it will be so confusing for most of the audience who are watching it!!!
& theres little to no long games nor back & forths!!!
Infact, i consider myself lucky if i see or play a game that lasted longer than 4 or more turns!!!(Unless if im against or i see a player using a cancer deck ofc!!!)
Simplifying???
Good luck simplifying the meta these days!!!
That for me is impossible to simplify especially on a casual audience!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Dec 15, 2022 6:23 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread moved to the correct board.

Even if your thread covers an entire franchise, please create the thread in one of the sub-boards that belong to the franchise.
Dec 15, 2022 9:52 AM

Jun 2017
RobertBobert said:
TheBlockernator said:

They're basically completely different. Nobody from previous spinoffs shows up, no plot threads are mentioned, nothing at all carries over. It's practically a different show each time. The only commonality is the card game.

GX is the only one with any sort of continuity, though it isn't much.

So, is it enough for me to just watch the original anime, and the rest is optional?

Pretty much. I can't say if they're good or not since i only care abotu DM but from a canon perspective, it's not connected.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Dec 15, 2022 9:56 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I still love the original series, and I talk about it any chance I get. I haven't watched anything past GX thus far because I'm a boomer. I don't hold any ill will towards newer summoning mechanics, though, bar maybe Pendulum. I think that the syncrho / xyz era was the most fun in terms of gameplay honestly.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 15, 2022 10:15 AM

Jan 2022
Eh, I wouldn't say that it's dead but it's definitely less popular in the US than it used to be (Tbh Yu-Gi-Oh started loosing popularity with American kids around the end of 4kids broadcast of Duel Monsters due to poor advertising decisions from what I've read). Japan seems to have the opposite taste when it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh animes because over there zexal is about as popular as the original, and Konami has made another rush duel focused anime which the folks on the Japanese internet seem to be eating up.

Dec 15, 2022 2:45 PM

Feb 2016
HatsuneYugi39 said:
Tbh Yu-Gi-Oh started loosing popularity with American kids around the end of 4kids broadcast of Duel Monsters due to poor advertising decisions from what I've read

GX was well advertised at first, at the expense of the previous series which was still airing. Everyone who still cared by that point was not watching the older series. I enjoyed GX up until they repeatedly changed the time slot. Just check the dates and you will see that these episodes did not air on a consistent schedule.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yu-Gi-Oh!_GX_episodes#Season_2:_Society_of_Light_Saga_(2005–06)
その目だれの目?
Dec 15, 2022 3:38 PM

Aug 2019
Sevens and Go Rush focusing on Rush Duels killed the franchise in terms of the anime. And I don't buy the power creep excuse; they could've rebooted the anime franchise differently and still kept the focus on the original card game instead of inventing a brand new one. Hell they could've adapted YGO R into an anime, which would've doubled as a nostalgia grab. But no, instead they took the easy way out with that Rush Duel crap which hardly anyone outside of Japan watches; the episode threads for Sevens and Rush Go are literally dead here, on NAC and on Pojo.

Although VRAINS was really the first sign of the end. That series was bloody awful, especially the second season with Bohman's boring ass using the same deck and strategy in every duel and Soulburner showing up to steal screen-time from other characters who needed it more.
Dec 16, 2022 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
Early_Morning said:
Sevens and Go Rush focusing on Rush Duels killed the franchise in terms of the anime. And I don't buy the power creep excuse; they could've rebooted the anime franchise differently and still kept the focus on the original card game instead of inventing a brand new one. Hell they could've adapted YGO R into an anime, which would've doubled as a nostalgia grab. But no, instead they took the easy way out with that Rush Duel crap which hardly anyone outside of Japan watches; the episode threads for Sevens and Rush Go are literally dead here, on NAC and on Pojo.

Although VRAINS was really the first sign of the end. That series was bloody awful, especially the second season with Bohman's boring ass using the same deck and strategy in every duel and Soulburner showing up to steal screen-time from other characters who needed it more.

They were screwed once all the people (except the duel writer) left and Gallop gave up on the franchise. But as you say, not like Vrains was anything to write home about. I view Arc-V being the straw that broke the camel's back. It was too ambitious for its own good, and the series got horribly mismanaged midway resulting in that ending that pissed off everyone, and Vrains had to be rewritten and play it super safe as a result, resulting in a very boring entry.
Dec 16, 2022 12:57 AM
Oct 2019
Hitagi__Furude said:
Datboi9999 said:

I disagree. I think having all of the different summoning mechanics taking place in a single series would be interesting to watch. There's more room for complexity in the matches that way IMO. And with that said, it's not like most decks utilize a lot of summoning mechanics anyways, unless you like playing Zefra or something to that effect.
Traps come in and out of relevance, with cards like infinite impermanence being introduced and taking the limelight every now and then, and decks like Eldlitch are usually run with a deck comprised of 3/4ths traps (according to the internet at least, Ive never played them). You also have decks like Traptrix that often work with a lot of trap holes.
The banned list kinda needs to exist to prevent FTKs. Granted, it's also used to somewhat push players to buy newer archtypes, which is pretty fucked up on Konami's part. If you want an example, I think this happened during the time that Wind-ups were the main meta deck. Konami banned some cards that were pivotal to the plant turbo deck, which was a tier 1 from a previous meta. I could be messing up some details, I'm mostly going off of memory for that.
I think the main problem with adapting the game as it is right now, at least if the goal is to make it realistic to meta game play, is finding a way to make the turns interesting. A lot of games can be over in two or three turns, and each turn can take a while. There's some back and forth as a player tries to build a board and the other tries to prevent with hand traps and the like, but I don't think that kind of game play would be enjoyable to watch. If they found a way around that, or they just simplified it like in the past, I think it could make a good show.
That said, take this with a grain of salt. I haven't actively played in a couple years.

Thats actually a great concept you got there!!!
Putting all types of summoning & decks revolving around one type of summoning sounds good in paper!!!
It helps people to get into the game & understand the rules better!!!
Imperm is mostly used in almost if not all decks(besides other hand TRAPS like Red Reboot or Evenly Matched) & traps only exist if someone uses a control deck(or sometimes, archetype specific traps like Branded Expulsion) which exist in around 1 to 4 per online rank matches!!!
So yeah!!!
Traps are almost non existent right now in the meta!!!
In fact, most players have a hard time reacting if theyre fighting against a control or trap heavy deck!!!
Komoney forcing players to buy cards is nothing new!!!
I remembered when Link monsters were introduced,
You cannot Fusion,Synchro,Xyz,Pendulum summon monsters unless if you have a Link monster on the field!!!
That rule alone fucked the meta & the game at that time!!!
& you are right!!!
Most players these days are solitaire players that is honestly boring to watch & play against!!!
^^So yeah!!!
I cant even imagine how will they make that interesting in an anime format!!!
Let alone, it will be so confusing for most of the audience who are watching it!!!
& theres little to no long games nor back & forths!!!
Infact, i consider myself lucky if i see or play a game that lasted longer than 4 or more turns!!!(Unless if im against or i see a player using a cancer deck ofc!!!)
Simplifying???
Good luck simplifying the meta these days!!!
That for me is impossible to simplify especially on a casual audience!!!

Yeah, simplifying a modern duel might be impossible. It's too complex now to do that very well. Maybe if the characters used noncompetitive decks it would work better? I think decks like Melffys and Metaphys play slow enough to go a few rounds. Maybe cut out some staple cards like Infinite Impermanence so both players can get their combos off. I don't know how well hand traps in general would translate to a story format. I think another issue with it is how consistent decks are. Probably wouldn't be fun to watch the same character use the same combos every duel (or at least attempt to) to reach the same win con.
I think it would also be really cool to see the hidden arsenal story line animated.
Dec 16, 2022 7:45 AM

Feb 2016
Datboi9999 said:
Yeah, simplifying a modern duel might be impossible. It's too complex now to do that very well. Maybe if the characters used noncompetitive decks it would work better? I think decks like Melffys and Metaphys play slow enough to go a few rounds. Maybe cut out some staple cards like Infinite Impermanence so both players can get their combos off. I don't know how well hand traps in general would translate to a story format. I think another issue with it is how consistent decks are. Probably wouldn't be fun to watch the same character use the same combos every duel (or at least attempt to) to reach the same win con.

With all these drawbacks, what has the anime actually been doing?
その目だれの目?
Dec 16, 2022 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
lost interest after GX, and by then my interest in the series was already dwindling.

season 0 was great - unlike the other seasons, it didn't try to push card sales. rather, it focused on telling the story of Yami and the mysterious Egyptian relics. Yugioh DM started the trend of marketing the card game, but at least put an interesting spin on the game. The game between Yugi and Kaiba was memorable, even if it violates every rule in the official game.

The game between the Paradox brothers as well as against Pegasus was amazing. In battle city, the battle against treasure hunter (iirc?) with his Exodia deck is siginificant, since it's the same strategy Yugi used to defeat Kaiba in their first game. I haven't even mentioned Noah's, which added an interesting spin on the game.

Later on we see the introduction of Egyptian god cards, with ridiculous stats and abilities - back when they were the only 12-star cards in the game. DM culminates with the intrpduction of Seal of Horacle and Leviathan, a card that overpowers even all the Egyptian god cards combined. The series was very dorky, and because of that, it had its own unique charm. Once DM ends, we get a "I have dino DNA" GX and card games on motorcycles. Well, at least the character designs in 5Ds weren't bad. can't say the same regarding the character designs in Sevens though.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Dec 16, 2022 12:14 PM

Aug 2019
DreamingBeats said:
Once DM ends, we get a "I have dino DNA" GX and card games on motorcycles.

Why is that still the go-to complaint about 5D's even after 14 years? The Riding Duels weren't even a bad thing; in fact most of the people who liked 5D's praise the Riding Duels for adding a new element to the franchise and for making duels more dynamic. And it's not like every duel in 5D's was a Riding Duel anyways - at least half of the duels were standard ground duels, so fans of the old dueling style still got that.

As someone who watched 5D's multiple times, 5D's had arguably the strongest plot of any YGO anime bar DM. Once you get over the bias about the motorcycles, it's a really great series, and the last truly enjoyable YGO anime to me.
Dec 16, 2022 6:58 PM
Apr 2013
My two cents

I've watched the entirety of (original DM), most of 5ds, entirety of zexal, arc v, and vrains.

For me personally the main issue was covid disrupted the airing of sevens so by the time things settled down it was too late for me. I heard it had some interesting things though.

The main thing I noticed is that, I think in general with each season/year, less people continue to watch the anime. I'm assuming its still decently popular, mostly/especially in japan, but outside of japan/ocg it might not be so cohesive so it might just be the odd viewers here and there. The whole rush duel thing probably doesnt help either since I have no idea exactly.
Dec 17, 2022 12:58 AM
Oct 2019
Lucifrost said:

With all these drawbacks, what has the anime actually been doing?

I guess the show's only real purpose is to advertise cards, and it's doing a pretty good job at that. Or I would assume at least; I haven't watched in a while.
Dec 17, 2022 2:41 AM

Jan 2021
Pretty much, I haven't seen any fans of the newer parts in the wild

I only know original version and gx fans
Oct 24, 2023 7:39 PM
Nov 2021
Reply to HatsuneYugi39
Eh, I wouldn't say that it's dead but it's definitely less popular in the US than it used to be (Tbh Yu-Gi-Oh started loosing popularity with American kids around the end of 4kids broadcast of Duel Monsters due to poor advertising decisions from what I've read). Japan seems to have the opposite taste when it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh animes because over there zexal is about as popular as the original, and Konami has made another rush duel focused anime which the folks on the Japanese internet seem to be eating up.
@HatsuneYugi39 Nah thats a lie western zexal fans made, just like the west DM is the most popular with GX being the most popular yugioh spin off, the only different thing is that Japan aknowledges that series after 5ds exist. Althought with Sevens and Go Rush it seems they also don't care considering how little people talk about it even online.
Nov 1, 2023 11:52 AM

Aug 2019
It boggles my mind that GX is the most popular YGO spin-off on the internet when it arguably had the worst dub out of probably any 4Kids production (aside from One Piece), had some of the weakest storylines out of the entire franchise pre-season three, and was generally considered to be crap 17 years ago. Even though I appreciate it, I don't overlook its many flaws and only re-watch certain episodes because of nostalgia (and because the Japanese version is at least tolerable).

I think 5D's deserves more respect, because even though all the filler episodes leading up to the WRGP were lame, at least the Fortune Cup arc, Dark Signer arc and Ark Cradle arc made up for it. But instead you still hear people complain about "card games on motorcycles" as if it were 2008...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Favorite "Duel Monsters" saga? And why?

Matthappy - Mar 26

16 by Matthappy »»
Apr 6, 12:37 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 32 Discussion

Frezlaj - Jan 31, 2014

13 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 29 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

7 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 27 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

10 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 8:41 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 24 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 20, 2010

19 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 2:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.