5.0%
Sevens
0.0%
Go-Rush
1.7%
119 votes
Dec 14, 2022 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
I don't hear or see anything or anyone talking about it these days. And the current entry on MAL is a ghost town. Since they went with that baby format, Rush, it just hasn't been the same. The anime also seems to be made for babies too. The hell happened here? Vrains was so mature before that.
removed-userDec 14, 2022 6:48 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 14, 2022 7:00 AM

May 2021
It is dead like its author hahaha gotem

Dec 14, 2022 7:04 AM

Sep 2018
Being child friendly is not the issue: Vrains is so edgy in a bad way that becomes cringe (and I usuallly like edginess), whereas Sevens was surprisingly good thanks to likable characters and varied duels; some tracks of the OST were good too. I don't understand why they had to axe it for the piece of garbage we have now, probably because they thought that a stupid alien investigation plot would sell more than slice of life.

1. DM
2. GX
3. Sevens
4. Arc-V
5. 5D's (could be higher but the second half sucks)
6. Zexal
7. Vrains
8. Go Rush
Dec 14, 2022 7:07 AM

Oct 2013
I mean if that how you define it then yea maybe.
Dec 14, 2022 7:08 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Yugioh peaked at the OG anime, then started to decline at GX, then dead after that because it becomes more and more weird and unnecessarily complex that it lost its magic completely.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 14, 2022 7:09 AM

Oct 2017
The Rush game is actually pretty fun from what I played on YGO Pro and I am hoping it comes over to the TCG regions soon. I know the Go Rush series isn't really the most popular since it aims at a younger audience, but I have heard some good things about Sevens. IT really is just a matter of how you view it. The anime is no longer really for Master Duels since they can really sell product oon their own now without the anime, so I think it was good they decided to focus the anime on the new game for a change of pace, and to get new people into it.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Dec 14, 2022 7:10 AM

May 2019
I think the "mai is my waifu guy" would have a relevant take on this.

@TheBlockernator
tchitchouanDec 14, 2022 7:19 AM
Dec 14, 2022 7:11 AM
Jul 2018
Nirinbo said:
Being child friendly is not the issue: Vrains is so edgy in a bad way that becomes cringe (and I usuallly like edginess), whereas Sevens was surprisingly good thanks to likable characters and varied duels; some tracks of the OST were good too. I don't understand why they had to axe it for the piece of garbage we have now, probably because they thought that a stupid alien investigation plot would sell more than slice of life.

1. DM
2. GX
3. Sevens
4. Arc-V
5. 5D's (could be higher but the second half sucks)
6. Zexal
7. Vrains
8. Go Rush

GX already did SOL and parody of the franchise in its first season before moving to its plot... Sevens wasn't exactly original in that regard. Maybe a breath of fresh air compared to the previous 3 entries which were angst and suffering, but with Go Rush it seems like they hit an all time low... no idea why it was made or Sevens canceled so soon either. Sevens seemed to be doing fine in Japan, but Go Rush? Honestly, no idea. Also if you didn't have tutorial episodes in Sevens why the hell do you need them now, in the middle of the anime... introducing the new format. Like they backstabbed themselves.
Dec 14, 2022 7:13 AM

Sep 2021
I guess so, you don't see many people talking about Yu-Gi-Oh nowadays, OG anime was great tho

tchitchouan said:

now that you say that, yeah where is he
Dec 14, 2022 7:22 AM

Aug 2018
woah so let me get this straight. So you're saying that a series that's been around for over 20 years and has countless spinoffs and sequels is declining in quality and popularity? Damn, thats friggin' WEIRD.
Dec 14, 2022 7:26 AM

Feb 2016
Yu-Gi-Oh died for me when they introduced synchro summons.
その目だれの目?
Dec 14, 2022 7:27 AM
Jul 2018
epidemia78 said:
woah so let me get this straight. So you're saying that a series that's been around for over 20 years and has countless spinoffs and sequels is declining in quality and popularity? Damn, thats friggin' WEIRD.

It was never this bad before. Not even the fans bother to talk about the new entry now.
Dec 14, 2022 7:48 AM

Aug 2019
tchitchouan said:

Wrong Mai, but GX didn't interest me nearly as much as DM, and then didn't watch anything that came afterwards

Actually think I enjoyed LittleKuriboh's abridged series of DM more than the official series

Dec 14, 2022 7:55 AM

Sep 2018
I would rank it
1. Yugioh 5ds
2. Yugioh GX
3. Yugioh Zexal
4. Yugioh DM
5. Yugioh VRains
6. Yugioh Sevens
7. Yugioh Arc V

I never seen enough go rush to rank it yet. The old era of yugioh where the games were life and death really ended after Zexal which popularized the game a ton. Yugioh is not the same anymore since they shifted demographics of teens more so to kids with the rush duel series.

My stand out best moments of yugioh series would go to Zone arc of 5ds and final arc of gx which were brutal.
Dec 14, 2022 8:01 AM

Nov 2020
Not dead, but newest Yu-Gi-Oh! show is suck.

The new Yu-Gi-Oh! anime is targeted for kids viewer and for oldest viewer either just watch other anime or play the card game.

Vrains is actually great anime but they kinda rush the storyline in season 2 and 3

Funny things about this, if they announced new the real Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, they also will introduce new summon mechanic for the card game.

For the card game itself, they recently release card that support for anime archetype by using iconic scene as artwork card in the anime.

In the end, even Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series nowdays is less to people talk about it, Yu-Gi-Oh! is always the one of memorable anime in anime history. It proven by other anime using Yu-Gi-Oh! cameo/reference in their show.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Dec 14, 2022 8:04 AM

Apr 2020
Yea and it's sad as a yu gi oh fan. finding someone talking about yugioh anime is 8192x more rare than finding a shiny pokemon
Dec 14, 2022 11:33 AM

Jun 2017
It's honestly too bad they went with the more childish, slice of life yugioh in Sevens. I miss the darker themes of the previous series. Even with the 4kids censorship, it was never this childish.

The darkness is what made Yugioh fun, now it feels like i'm watching a kids show, there's no stakes, there's no long term consequences, it's basically Pokemon now. Like you won't lose your soul or have your mind trapped in a mental prison if you lose. All that happens now is...you have people dueling over the last bowl of ramen.

It's just not cool anymore. There was some appeal to kids, teens and maybe adults. Kaiba for instance, is one of the coolest characters i've seen in anime. I wouldn't call it fanservice, but look at some of the monster designs. Harpie Lady, Dark Magician Girl and a ton of others were designed sexilly, a lot of female characters are too like Mai, but the girls in Sevens aren't, they all look like kids. ANd the monsters don't have any interesting designs for me.

Actually, the monsters themselves are lame now. Back in the day, you had a ton of variety, nowadays the monsters used just look like generic power ranger types or digimon.

Rush duels suck. Where's the tension if you can summon every card in one turn?

Thank you for the tag @tchitchouan . I guess i'm known for being the Yugioh guy around here, lol.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Dec 14, 2022 11:35 AM

Jun 2017
Saiorno said:
I guess so, you don't see many people talking about Yu-Gi-Oh nowadays, OG anime was great tho

tchitchouan said:

now that you say that, yeah where is he

It doesn't come up much here, sadly. I try and bring it up when i can. Practically every forum post i make includes it in some way.
Dec 14, 2022 11:37 AM

Jun 2017
G-Reco said:
epidemia78 said:

It was never this bad before. Not even the fans bother to talk about the new entry now.

Every yugioh forum i'm on doesn't even bother to talk about Go Rush or Sevens. It's not just mal. It's the same with the Pojo forum, the subreddit and most other subs. Every post i make about DM though on there gets way more traction.
Dec 14, 2022 11:39 AM

Jun 2017
DefeatingMe said:
Yea and it's sad as a yu gi oh fan. finding someone talking about yugioh anime is 8192x more rare than finding a shiny pokemon

Me and @Fario-P are the only big Yugioh fans i can think of on here. I don't see it come up much on here.
Dec 14, 2022 11:44 AM

Jun 2017

I made a meme. Me every time Yugioh is mentioned on Mal.
Dec 14, 2022 11:58 AM

May 2019
TheBlockernator said:

Haha! very accurately true indeed.
Dec 14, 2022 12:08 PM

Sep 2021
TheBlockernator said:

yep, that sure sounds like you alright
Dec 14, 2022 12:17 PM

Nov 2008
The issue is that shift to Rush Dueling that has soured the fanbase, the format not leaving Japan in the tabletop format (only the Switch game left Japan and it has severe card pool issues due to a release that was way too early) does not help.

Dec 14, 2022 12:25 PM

Jun 2017
Hoppy said:
The issue is that shift to Rush Dueling that has soured the fanbase, the format not leaving Japan in the tabletop format (only the Switch game left Japan and it has severe card pool issues due to a release that was way too early) does not help.

Rush duels suck. But i get why they did it. Apparently, the game got too complicated and it was hard to write compelling back and forth duels with all the new summoning abilities. It was hard to make certain decks look bad.
Dec 14, 2022 4:53 PM

Feb 2016
TheBlockernator said:
Me and @Fario-P are the only big Yugioh fans i can think of on here. I don't see it come up much on here.

I'm a fan of parts of GX. As you might imagine, it's especially rare for people to be discussing those specific parts. The more popular classic series does little for me beyond nostalgia.
その目だれの目?
Dec 14, 2022 5:07 PM

Jan 2020
Legit I lost my mind trying to understand the game beyond zexal.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Dec 14, 2022 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
I thought ARC V was really fun up until the weird ending, and Vrains had some nice moments... as others have said the series just took a really sad direction after Vrains leaving a lot of fans disconnected.
Dec 14, 2022 5:21 PM

May 2020
I stopped caring about the series since Zexal!!!

Played the real game online from GX to Zexal era!!!
Stopped playing for awhile then i come back playing Master Duel competitively a few months back & im playing it eversince!!!

The anime is so full of shit in most duels looking back that i cant help but laugh!!!
Heart of the Cards RNG bullshit is just so funny & stupid!!!

If the anime is barely talked about,
Probably the new concept/rules are shit & the new archetypes sucks ass!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Dec 14, 2022 6:16 PM

Jan 2011
considering how weird the current game is with Synchro summons an trap cards being useless (an pot of greed banned) i dont think a new anime can be made from that while still be entertaining
Dec 14, 2022 6:23 PM

Jan 2016
Imagine if they animated an Ishizu Tearlament mirror
Dec 14, 2022 6:24 PM

Jun 2017
silversaint said:
considering how weird the current game is with Synchro summons an trap cards being useless (an pot of greed banned) i dont think a new anime can be made from that while still be entertaining

Yeah, i agree. The series was better when it focused on decks that looked cool and not triying to be like the meta.

The card game has gone off a cliff and is just boring now.
Dec 14, 2022 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
I really liked 5Ds but didn't finish it.

Tried to look into the new ones, but I couldn't get into them and the protagonists get younger everytime. Really liked Atem and Yusei and miss mains like them.

Also I tried the new card game, but it wasn't for me and all the new rules and special summonings became annoying imo. It seems like it's too much of everything and the gameplay seems a bit broken to me, at least at first glance. I didn't dive into it, because I lost my interest in the card game.
removed-userDec 14, 2022 6:43 PM
Dec 14, 2022 7:15 PM

Jan 2022
For anime only,

Idk if it's dead. I assume it just doesn't have the same audience that MAL has.
I know I'm waiting for it to be dubbed before watching it, and they had yet to get to Sevens last I checked (which was a year back or so).

So, all in all, I assume that it's comparatively dead overseas, but that it's working well with Japanese children or smth.

Edit: I voted for VRAINS. May not have been my actual favorite, but it had enough going for it.
My favorite individual duel, though, is in 5ds. I assume that it's not that good now that I've watched more anime, and see the tropes coming much more easily, but that won't make me change my opinion.
Bidoof_PMD-EOSDec 14, 2022 7:25 PM
Dec 14, 2022 7:39 PM

Apr 2020
5Ds>DM>>Arc-V>Zexal>S0>Vrains>>>>>>>Sevens>Go-Rush

I dropped Vrains and forced myself to finish it some time later, but it wasn't as good as the premise made it seem. It really feels like anything after Arc-V was when Yu-Gi-Oh! the anime started to die. (Never ever played the card game, the show was just really good.)
Dec 14, 2022 9:29 PM

Oct 2008
I didn't vote, since I like "Capsule Monsters". And unfortunately it's not listed on MAL.
Dec 14, 2022 10:56 PM

Jul 2013
Considering that Rush Duel mostly stay in Japan, and a lot of the long time fans probably did not stick around, it's not really surprising.
Dec 14, 2022 11:32 PM

Jun 2017
Bidoof_PMD-EOS said:
For anime only,

I know I'm waiting for it to be dubbed before watching it, and they had yet to get to Sevens last I checked (which was a year back or so).

So, all in all, I assume that it's comparatively dead overseas, but that it's working well with Japanese children or smth.

Edit: I voted for VRAINS. May not have been my actual favorite, but it had enough going for it.
My favorite individual duel, though, is in 5ds. I assume that it's not that good now that I've watched more anime, and see the tropes coming much more easily, but that won't make me change my opinion.

They had a dub for Sevens, it was airing on Disney XD
Dec 15, 2022 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
TheAsterNaut said:
5Ds>DM>>Arc-V>Zexal>S0>Vrains>>>>>>>Sevens>Go-Rush

I dropped Vrains and forced myself to finish it some time later, but it wasn't as good as the premise made it seem. It really feels like anything after Arc-V was when Yu-Gi-Oh! the anime started to die. (Never ever played the card game, the show was just really good.)

Arc-V was a huge huge failure duo to its ending pissing off people in Japan from what I heard... and writers were forced to rewrite the plot and concept of Vrains at the last minute to appease them. Also it had like 4 recaps in the first season alone so you know the production was rocky as hell. Some staff even said so on social media from what I recall.
Dec 15, 2022 2:15 AM

Jan 2022
TheBlockernator said:
Bidoof_PMD-EOS said:
For anime only,

They had a dub for Sevens, it was airing on Disney XD

Started in summer this year, I see, thanks.
Gonna check it out in the 'near' future.
Dec 15, 2022 2:50 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Compared to the days gone by, when everyone loved the anime more than life, yes

Dec 15, 2022 2:56 AM

Apr 2012
How much do the spin-offs and new timelines(?) change the original story? How many anime and which franchise parts do I have to watch in order to have at least a general understanding?
Dec 15, 2022 3:14 AM

Jun 2017
RobertBobert said:
How much do the spin-offs and new timelines(?) change the original story? How many anime and which franchise parts do I have to watch in order to have at least a general understanding?

They're basically completely different. Nobody from previous spinoffs shows up, no plot threads are mentioned, nothing at all carries over. It's practically a different show each time. The only commonality is the card game.

GX is the only one with any sort of continuity, though it isn't much.
Dec 15, 2022 3:16 AM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:

All are stand alone.
The first 3 are connected, with GX building on DM the most, and 5D's not so much. They have a movie (Bonds beyond Time) that connects them and has all the 3 MC meet each other.
Then Zexal is entirely stand alone.
Arc-V has multiverses and the MCs go to the different dimensions of the previous series... nothing from the original series tho. 5Ds, GX, Zexal characters have cameos in it.
Vrains is entirely stand alone and connects to nothing.
Sevens is same case as Vrains.
Go Rush direct continuation from Sevens and has throwbacks to it.

that's all
You can watch anything from GX, 5Ds, Zexal, or Arc-V to get the most out of the franchise. Rest doesn't mean much unless you are hardcore into the TCG.
Dec 15, 2022 3:16 AM

Apr 2012
TheBlockernator said:
RobertBobert said:

They're basically completely different. Nobody from previous spinoffs shows up, no plot threads are mentioned, nothing at all carries over. It's practically a different show each time. The only commonality is the card game.

So, is it enough for me to just watch the original anime, and the rest is optional?
Dec 15, 2022 3:18 AM
Jul 2018
TheBlockernator said:
RobertBobert said:

Not quite true. Arc-V revisits the previous shows and uses all the summoning methods. You won't get much out of it if you weren't into 5Ds so there is also that.
Dec 15, 2022 3:55 AM
Oct 2019
silversaint said:

I disagree. I think having all of the different summoning mechanics taking place in a single series would be interesting to watch. There's more room for complexity in the matches that way IMO. And with that said, it's not like most decks utilize a lot of summoning mechanics anyways, unless you like playing Zefra or something to that effect.
Traps come in and out of relevance, with cards like infinite impermanence being introduced and taking the limelight every now and then, and decks like Eldlitch are usually run with a deck comprised of 3/4ths traps (according to the internet at least, Ive never played them). You also have decks like Traptrix that often work with a lot of trap holes.
The banned list kinda needs to exist to prevent FTKs. Granted, it's also used to somewhat push players to buy newer archtypes, which is pretty fucked up on Konami's part. If you want an example, I think this happened during the time that Wind-ups were the main meta deck. Konami banned some cards that were pivotal to the plant turbo deck, which was a tier 1 from a previous meta. I could be messing up some details, I'm mostly going off of memory for that.
I think the main problem with adapting the game as it is right now, at least if the goal is to make it realistic to meta game play, is finding a way to make the turns interesting. A lot of games can be over in two or three turns, and each turn can take a while. There's some back and forth as a player tries to build a board and the other tries to prevent with hand traps and the like, but I don't think that kind of game play would be enjoyable to watch. If they found a way around that, or they just simplified it like in the past, I think it could make a good show.
That said, take this with a grain of salt. I haven't actively played in a couple years.
Dec 15, 2022 3:59 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
I have a feeling I know who the owner of this alt is
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Dec 15, 2022 4:06 AM
Jul 2018
Nirinbo said:

That main character in Vrains acted like Hachiman, basically a teenage chuunibyou who thinks he's some cool shit, because he doesn't care about anyone. Or pretends to... Maybe he starts caring along the hundred episodes, but I don't know if I want to find out with 100+ episodes.

Seven seems to be okay and it's alright they targeted it at a young audience, but I don't like the Rush Duels and in general I don't feel like I want to watch it.
I think it's fine that you can draw up to five cards max in every turn; playing them out at once without any hurdles is the problem.

Maybe I'll finish / restart 5Ds and that one YGO with tomato hair guy.
Besides these motorcycle duels you have to get used to, it really has a lot of good things going for it.

TheBlockernator said:
DefeatingMe said:

I really liked the series too and also played a lot in middle and bit in high school and beyond, but the card game became unenjoyable to me and I barely know anyone, who would even play it nowadays. They all think the rules and newest cards became unenjoyable.

I'd also like to rewatch the original series, but they often talk and monologue for so long before making their turn, that kinda holds me back from a full rewatch. I rewatched the Egypt season two, three years ago tho, and now I have seen many other anime, it's still really good imo.
Dec 15, 2022 5:21 AM

Feb 2021
I think it is not dead. Simply new adaptations are pretty rare, that is all. Now only isekai and idols works are popular sadly.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite "Duel Monsters" saga? And why?

Matthappy - Mar 26

16 by Matthappy »»
Apr 6, 12:37 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 32 Discussion

Frezlaj - Jan 31, 2014

13 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 29 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

7 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 27 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

10 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 8:41 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 24 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 20, 2010

19 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 2:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.