Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 2022 6:59 AM

Jul 2017
It's the end of the long haul, and Team RWBY can finally relax, pen their thoughts like a daily diary, and get back to life as per normal. Same with Weiss and Blake's truce between human and Faunus.

It's time for Shion Zaiden's departure, having grown in her power as a professional Nightmare Grimm huntress, and both Team RWBY and Team JNPR have grown astoundedly under her tutelage in this whole Ice Queendom situation. The evaluation of Ruby and Blake with Headmaster Ozpin: the former being the power of friendship and the latter, both on her admission as a Faunus, and her purpose after parting with the White Fang.

From here on, it's just happy times spending with friends, and Jaune's special training to get stronger as the leader of Team JNPR. Though Ruby has the biggest idea of infusing a super, fun plan to make the "Best Day Ever", though it's Weiss incorporating the Beacon Academy tradition of a food fight with all of Shaft's sakuga (since they could go all-out for the finale).

The series' saving grace: a loving tribute to Monty Oum. RIP to one of the greatest Western creators of our time.

But man, Ice Queendom feels like a dud in the RWBY space, and this is coming from someone who's 1st exposure is this standalone show.
KANLen09Sep 18, 2022 8:25 AM
Sep 18, 2022 8:29 AM
Apr 2021
best animated fight ever: Food fight lmao
Sep 18, 2022 8:55 AM

Jul 2011
This episode was a good episode to end. Sun in the sky, everyone talking to each other.

That food fight was destined to get crazy when the first watermelon was thrown and no one minded.
Was in that fight that Blake and Pyrrha became french, choosing a baguette as weapon of choice.

That end card made me a little angry, where was that dog the whole season?

If there will be another season, I hope a more diversified scenery.
Sep 18, 2022 9:28 AM
Jan 2020
The fucking show didn't look this good when it needed to and this should be like 24 episodes in the first place to actually make it sense
Sep 18, 2022 9:28 AM
Sep 2018
A lot of the criticism I see is that people thought this was a redo of the first season, when it was never meant to be. It did great in what it was supposed to do, tell an extra story from the perspective of Weiss, set right after the end of volume 1, but before volume 2. I really enjoyed it for what it was.
Sep 18, 2022 9:53 AM

May 2016
creator is turning in his grave on how bad this shit was. lmfao
Sep 18, 2022 9:57 AM

Aug 2013
So that was a nice little epilogue to the overall story. They adapted the Food Fight scene from Volume 2 episode 1 and even threw in a lovely tribute to Monty at the end. Was this a perfect adaptation? No, it was never meant to be. It was a nice little original take on the series that managed to set up the story and establish dimensionality for the core cast of characters that the original series took way too many volumes to do. It was a fresh take on a series that has, in my eyes, been struggling to find the clear cut direction it wants to flow ever since Monty passed away. I doubt they will do another season, but I hope that it does well enough to warrant some sort of entry by the production team in the future. I just hope they establish a consistent budget with the animation because sometimes the art went really wonky. I'll take this version though. Thank you Shaft, you made me remember what it felt like to actually like and enjoy RWBY again even if it was only for this entry. Take notes, RoosterTeeth. Rest in peace, Monty.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 18, 2022 9:58 AM

Oct 2017
Okay epilogue episode to the end the season, last part was quite silly.

Prolly my biggest disappointment this year, really had high hopes for this one. Well atleast we got Ruby voiced by Hayami Saori, so that's something.
Sep 18, 2022 10:05 AM

Jan 2014
Will say, while it was good in parts, it really dragged, and dragged, which honestly pushed this show further down for me personally. It wasn't a complete shit show, or shit for that matter. Just, personally it would've been better as a feature film, then a full 12 episode series. That's just my take on it. It had good ideas, but by end, it did feel like you wanted it all wrapped up. The final episode on it's own, was very cute however.
Sep 18, 2022 10:05 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
A pretty nice finale, this. But it still didn't help the show get into the positive remark stage, imo.

A lot of the middle episodes especially those after the mid-point started to become a drag, the Ice Queendom arc just didn't have enough to keep me interested for long despite the amazing action choreography (like the food battle scene) plus the soundtrack (got to appreciate the piano covers of the Op & ED). I was quite looking forward to this honestly but I'm left disappointed. I really liked the ED too, so credit to Sayama Haori-san for that amazing track.

Going to have to stick with a 4/10 for this. I really liked the first three eps, but that was more or less it.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 18, 2022 10:15 AM

Feb 2019
Mfs really used 90 percent of the staff and budget for the season on a food fight lmaooo.

Show had some cool moments, but you could definitely tell it was a western franchise. Just never got me hooked or to ever really care about the characters. Felt like the grimm nightmare arc also dragged on way too long.
Sep 18, 2022 10:33 AM
Oct 2015
The foodfight got screwed over and barely/poorly adapted compared to the original.
Sep 18, 2022 10:41 AM

Feb 2009
I love how they put in there "Best day ever". I was hoping to see that epic food fight ever since I realized there is only going to be a fraction of the original events included. I was also always confused why it was the only time in the original show when they used their school uniforms. Good surprise for the end.
Overall it was a good show for fans, but if I didn't like RWBY before then it would be just an average show. I wouldn't expect any sequel to be made. At least not as a result of this one.
Sep 18, 2022 11:11 AM

Nov 2012
A huge disappointment! At first I thought this would be a traditional animation version of the original RWBY. When I found out it wasn't, I thought 'OK cool. My girls get a new adventure," but this was boring, unforgivably boring. Whoever sold or licensed the rights to RWBY should go to Monty Oum's grave and beg for forgiveness. Dogeza until your needs and forehead bleed bitches.

And was the food fight really that entertaining or was it because you knew the series was over? It was too little too late for me.
Sep 18, 2022 11:21 AM
Demihuman
Jul 2021
Should have ended in the cast singing "I Fought The Law"
Sep 18, 2022 11:46 AM

Feb 2018
Not really sure what to think of this, some of the episodes I enjoyed, whilst others felt really dragged out.
Wouldn't say this was the best adaptation, but at least some parts of it felt okay.
Sep 18, 2022 12:01 PM

Apr 2016
This anime had positives and negatives for me. For positives I loved how they retold the start of RWBY. They didn't change a ton but they cut out a lot of dialog that kind of made me cringe during the beginning episodes of the original and they kept and enhanced the important moments. It made me wish they kept going in that fashion to potentially change and improve on the problems the original story has. The art and animation during important moments was really good though I wish that was kept up a little more consistently during other maybe not as important fights since there isn't really a ton of fighting in this anime once they get to the anime original arc. I also liked the idea of them introducing grim that are more parasitic and dangerous to the mind rather than the usual large animalistic grim we typically see in the original.

As for negatives the main one is the anime original arc while interesting and fun at times was dragged out way too long with the amount of material they were working with. There are ways they could have potentially spiced up that arc to better justify the amount of episodes it got. While Jaune got plenty of moments to shine in this anime the rest of team JNPR were kind of just afterthought bystanders. They could have organized this arc in a way that solves both of these problems. Also while I really loved how they cleaned up the start of the original RWBY for this adaptation at some point they just started rushing through content and skipping fights that I would have loved to see animated in a similar fashion and considering how dragged out the anime original arc was that skipped content probably would have been another way to solve that problem as well.

It's clear that this was just to be supplementary content to compliment the original show so it was highly unlikely they were just going to modify a retell the original RWBY but I honestly think it would have been great for the franchise as a whole if they did do that. Maybe someday.
Sep 18, 2022 12:20 PM
Feb 2021
the nightmare Grimm is still terrifying
Sep 18, 2022 12:43 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Eh, i guess it was a ok way to end the series by recreating the food fight.

idk, overall this was mostly just an ok show. If a second season is ever made, I can only hope it would end up being better than what we got.
Sep 18, 2022 1:08 PM

Apr 2012
so, after watching all 12 eps i still have that feeling about this anime:

I don't blame Shaft, maybe the souce material was so not-good, that even this great studio could not make it into some decent show. maybe it was made "by fans for fans only"... idk, i'm not one of those. sure this anime had good graphics, really good OST, excellent seiyuu's work, but that couldn't help make this anime better. it was simply uninteresting. 6/10.
To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Sep 18, 2022 1:10 PM
Nov 2021
Was not expecting season to end with a food fight. Wish the season hadnt just focused on a dreamscape but it was decent enough. Rating it as a 6/10.
Sep 18, 2022 2:16 PM

Jan 2021
Not a bad way to end the show, everyone talks and its chilled out. A good contrast to how energy filled all the other episodes were. Glad the entire episode wasn't just Weiss being embarrassed.

Liked the Monty quote at the end. Despite what other people have said about Monty rolling in his grave. I think he would've enjoyed it for what it was.

Would I ever watch this again no its a 5/10 for me. Its a messy fanfiction but there's passion in the show. The end art is always neat, and there's some really fluid animation in some episodes. I think what it suffered most from was a lack of direction in writing. From the trailers, I thought it was going to focus on more Weiss psyche and the first few volumes from her perspective. Instead it tries to pander to both long time fans and complete newbies, which stretches out the show. Like did we really need Jaune to fall under the nightmare too? I mean JNPR defeated his nightmare no problem, if team RWBY needed a McGuffin so badly they could have come up with something else.
Sep 18, 2022 3:00 PM

May 2016
lol the score is slowly going down. lmfao
Sep 18, 2022 3:04 PM

Jun 2017
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
creator is turning in his grave on how bad this shit was. lmfao

oh he is already after the latest 2 Rwby volumes and how RT handled the IP in the last years

I am 100% sure he would have loved Ice Queendom though
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Sep 18, 2022 3:08 PM

Mar 2013
BlichoBoy said:
That end card made me a little angry, where was that dog the whole season?

Zwei was back at home with Taiyang (Ruby and Yang's dad). He didn't show up until the 3rd season of the original.

They call Shion a professor, but she didn't teach any classes! Why bother with a title like that?? Just call her a Huntress if you need to give her any title (since she's also that).

Overall, it was an alright series. It started to feel like a different show with a RWBY skin at times, and that's where I felt a little less interested. OP was nice but could've been a bit more RWBY-esque (and no, I can't elaborate on what that means because I don't have a good way to put it into words), and the ED was meh (but the singer has a great voice regardless). BIG NICHOLAS/10
Sep 18, 2022 3:10 PM

Apr 2016
tfw this piece of shit show ends on an actually fun note, feeling almost entirely different from the dry sack of shit we'd been watching until now, also the FINALLY did SOMETHING with Weiss developing out of her racism. The food fight looked like ass for the most part, but Ruby's final mad dash was spectacular, and unlike the still images earlier in the episode, the ones that made up the final frames were earned and gorgeous.

It's not enough to even remotely salvage the show, but hey, can just watch the cafe-scene onwards standalone and pretend the rest of the anime ever happened, unless you really crave a return to Beacon that badly. 3/10
Sep 18, 2022 3:29 PM

Aug 2018
This last episode, or should I say, this last segment, was what I expected & wished for RWBY to be. Instead we had this 8 episodes arc focusing on Weiss' dream, to the point that the whole show should be renamed "A Journey in Weissland"

Maybe the actual arc was very long in the original source, so I won't blame the studio if they simply followed the script. But damn, I was hoping for something a bit more slice-of-lifey. If it gets another season, I'll watch it with pleasure though, because the characters / universe still caught my attention.
Sep 18, 2022 4:11 PM

May 2021
I was considering whether to lower my score even further than I already have, but then they gave us the legendary food fight with solid animation rather than stills.

Sep 18, 2022 4:14 PM
Nov 2016
sasahara_n said:
I don't blame Shaft, maybe the souce material was so not-good, that even this great studio could not make it into some decent show.

This shitty anime has nothing to do with the source material, the only thing it adapted poorly from the source material is the first 3 episodes which were a rushed mess anyway so I didn't like it either. The rest of the episodes are anime-only and it was shit and you can clearly see that in the ratings since most people around here were not amused by this anime either.

So yeah, you can 100% blame Shaft on this one since they screwed it up. Even a good director can save a shitty story like this one but even that failed here since the director did a shitty job too.

Anyway, I haven't watched the last episode yet, I will watch it in a couple of minutes, and probably shit on this anime one last time before deleting this garbage from my HDD. I did like episode 11 though, that episode was nice and from what I'm reading here, episode 12 is also nice, hopefully, that episode won't disappoint me either but I'm still disappointed tremendously with this anime.
Sep 18, 2022 4:55 PM

Dec 2015
A really nice ending to a phenomenal season! The animation was a bit janky here and there, but I absolutely loved this episode and the anime as a whole! Really hope it gets another season.
Sep 18, 2022 5:17 PM
Aug 2022
the title spoiled everything for me as a rwby fan.
but hey, if what they said is true in the expo, next season might come sooner or later. with better quality and no more distractions.

this is a redo of volume 2's first episodes. revised with extra and cut content.
majority of the animation is spot on (mildly) but not done by Shaft as always.

7.5/10. It's the love that kept me attached to this piece of junk that every hater hates, fan or not.
Sep 18, 2022 5:19 PM
Aug 2022
xZabuzax said:
sasahara_n said:
I don't blame Shaft, maybe the souce material was so not-good, that even this great studio could not make it into some decent show.

This shitty anime has nothing to do with the source material, the only thing it adapted poorly from the source material is the first 3 episodes which were a rushed mess anyway so I didn't like it either. The rest of the episodes are anime-only and it was shit and you can clearly see that in the ratings since most people around here were not amused by this anime either.

So yeah, you can 100% blame Shaft on this one since they screwed it up. Even a good director can save a shitty story like this one but even that failed here since the director did a shitty job too.

Anyway, I haven't watched the last episode yet, I will watch it in a couple of minutes, and probably shit on this anime one last time before deleting this garbage from my HDD. I did like episode 11 though, that episode was nice and from what I'm reading here, episode 12 is also nice, hopefully, that episode won't disappoint me either but I'm still disappointed tremendously with this anime.

I'm pretty sure you know what actually happened to this show's production process. Don't tell me you forgor.
Sep 18, 2022 5:49 PM
Apr 2019
Ending in the foodfight really brought back nostalgia, from the first series. It was a nice ending
Sep 18, 2022 6:24 PM
Jul 2015
What a terrible way to lost direction with a title that promised a lot. More and more times I’ve been finding bad anime but I suppose it’s our fault for consuming everything that came from Japan. Even sh*tty titles like Girlfriend girlfriend will have a sequel so I could expect anything now.
Sep 18, 2022 7:55 PM
May 2016
i felt scammed with the last fight... but still happy having what we had
Sep 18, 2022 9:55 PM

Oct 2016
This last episode was definitely my favorite one easily. Haven't watched anything RWBY before, so I was really excited for this show, but it really didn't live up to the hype. I thought the concept with the nightmare and dealing with Weiss's internal issues was cool, but man it just dragged on to hell. I wish we could've gotten more episodes like this last one, if only the nightmare arc was shorter. Well I still enjoyed the show overall more or less, it'd be cool if they made more RWBY anime. 6/10
Sep 18, 2022 11:06 PM

Nov 2014
Ultimately, while there were some good looking fight scenes, most of this show was on the forgettable side of things.. It was nice to see these characters from before RWBY jumped the shark again, I guess. Not really worth watching unless you're already a fan. 6/10
Sep 18, 2022 11:11 PM
Mar 2015
RWBY has their best day ever with a food fight
Sep 19, 2022 1:04 AM
Jun 2016
A nice way to end the show I guess. Didnt expect to see the food fight but it was a nice surprise.

Overall a generous 6/10. Only the first and 2 last episodes are good. Everything else is just boring, repetitive, and really dragged out. Should have been a movie or 6 episodes mini series instead.
Sep 19, 2022 2:08 AM
Nov 2016
TyrantAnaconda said:
xZabuzax said:

I'm pretty sure you know what actually happened to this show's production process. Don't tell me you forgor.

Yeah, I know man but as a disappointed fan, I'm just blaming the studio because that's the studio that handled this anime, even if they received help from the outside or if they outsourced some episodes or whatever, it's still the studio that handled this anime so I'm blaming the studio for the finished product which didn't impress me, the finished product was simply bad.

I still won't use the lack of budget or whatever issue they had doing this anime as an excuse, I'm judging the studio who made it and I'm judging the final product for what it is. Even Vol 1 from the OG RWBY lacked the budget too and had really bad and wonky animation in a lot of parts as well but I still ended up liking that volume. The same could have happened in this anime if they did a good job but they didn't.
Sep 19, 2022 2:35 AM
Aug 2022
xZabuzax said:
TyrantAnaconda said:

Yeah, I know man but as a disappointed fan, I'm just blaming the studio because that's the studio that handled this anime, even if they received help from the outside or if they outsourced some episodes or whatever, it's still the studio that handled this anime so I'm blaming the studio for the finished product which didn't impress me, the finished product was simply bad.

I still won't use the lack of budget or whatever issue they had doing this anime as an excuse, I'm judging the studio who made it and I'm judging the final product for what it is. Even Vol 1 from the OG RWBY lacked the budget too and had really bad and wonky animation in a lot of parts as well but I still ended up liking that volume. The same could have happened in this anime if they did a good job but they didn't.

Ah, i feel your heat. Sucks for sure. It's a pain to see something you like and have it be ruined in a very unfortunate way. Shaft could've delayed it for as long as they want to.
Still, i would like others to know about this series' production process. who knows, maybe in blu-ray version, it might look good if they DO fix it.
Sep 19, 2022 2:48 AM
Nov 2016
TyrantAnaconda said:
xZabuzax said:

Ah, i feel your heat. Sucks for sure. It's a pain to see something you like and have it be ruined in a very unfortunate way. Shaft could've delayed it for as long as they want to.
Still, i would like others to know about this series' production process. who knows, maybe in blu-ray version, it might look good if they DO fix it.

I just hope this same shit doesn't happen with an upcoming anime named Ragna Crimson, I really love the manga and I would hate to see the anime studio doing a shitty job at it and unfortunately, the anime studio doing that manga isn't that good or doesn't impress me either so you will probably see a lot of raging from me in the Ragna Crimson forum too if they don't do a good job at it.

I really hate coming out as a toxic guy with this attitude but I really hate to see something I love not receiving the attention, the studio, or the budget it deserves. I hate half-assed products, especially if they are franchises that I love.
Sep 19, 2022 3:01 AM
Aug 2022
xZabuzax said:

I just hope this same shit doesn't happen with an upcoming anime named Ragna Crimson, I really love the manga and I would hate to see the anime studio doing a shitty job at it and unfortunately, the anime studio doing that manga isn't that good or doesn't impress me either so you will probably see a lot of raging from me in the Ragna Crimson forum too if they don't do a good job at it.

I really hate coming out as a toxic guy with this attitude but I really hate to see something I love not receiving the attention, the studio, or the budget it deserves. I hate half-assed products, especially if they are franchises that I love.

I would just stop thinking about it, man. Keep my composure and expect the worst since it's common knowledge now that stuff like this happens everytime. Unless the studio is stacked with good members and they aren't dealing with anything distracting.
Sep 19, 2022 3:07 AM
Nov 2016
TyrantAnaconda said:
xZabuzax said:

I would just stop thinking about it, man. Keep my composure and expect the worst since it's common knowledge now that stuff like this happens everytime. Unless the studio is stacked with good members and they aren't dealing with anything distracting.

Oh yeah that's so true, it's better to just keep the expectations low and expect the worst. I find that difficult to do with franchises that I love but I will try =p
Sep 19, 2022 4:26 AM

Nov 2019
Of all fights happening in this anime, the food fight at the very end was probably the best looking one
─── ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ───

"No matter how devastated you may be by your own weaknesses or uselessness...
Set your heart ablaze. Grit your teeth and look straight ahead.
Even if you stop and crouch down, the time won't wait for you...
or snuggle you, or grieve along with you."

─── ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ───
Sep 19, 2022 4:54 AM

Jul 2016
Ronninn said:
The fucking show didn't look this good when it needed to and this should be like 24 episodes in the first place to actually make it sense

The last episode was so much better than the entire dream arc combined...
Sep 19, 2022 5:14 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Why did they give the best animation of the whole show to a silly food battle at the end, I swear I'm gonna go crazy
Sep 19, 2022 7:09 AM

Feb 2021
That's a cute last episode. A great way to wrap up the season.

It was a bumpy road. Animation was a mixed bag, it could be really good and it could also be super bad. The plot is promising, and while it felt dragged at some points, it manages to tell a great and interesting story to the very end. I enjoyed this more than the original (currently stuck at episode 4 of season 3). My final rating is 7/10. I hope this gets a continuation; be it original or an adaptation.

"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Sep 19, 2022 11:58 AM

Sep 2016
with a nice outing at a cafe and a fun food fight, this episode felt like a redemption for the previous 8 episodes. i don't know anything about rwby before this show, but it would be nice if this anime was more like eps 1-3 and 12... hope it would have a season two
Sep 19, 2022 1:27 PM
Sep 2017
NICE CALL BACK. DAMN WHO KNEW ALL THE PLANES WE FLEW
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24, 2022

51 by Pingl0sek »»
Nov 26, 2023 12:00 PM

» Which will happen first

Tank895 - Aug 26, 2023

14 by PinkRawChicken »»
Aug 30, 2023 9:43 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24, 2022

104 by MABEL_APPLE »»
Mar 14, 2023 7:29 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 21, 2022

40 by kitsune0 »»
Feb 25, 2023 12:22 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 14, 2022

49 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Feb 22, 2023 3:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.