Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 10, 2022 2:55 PM

Feb 2016
I finished watching this anime for the first time just last night, and - me being an avid fan of George Romero type zombie movies/shows/video games in general - I noticed more than just a few similarities between this anime and a lot of other zombie media, one of which is a common narrative problem with zombie stories in general.

A big theme of George Romero's "living dead" movies was that as dangerous as the zombies are, humans under stress are worse. Since "Night of the Living Dead" was such an influential movie, it's understandable that so many other zombie stories have also adapted this theme. Inevitably, the later portions of most zombie movies will start phasing the zombies into more of a background threat, allowing evil or insane humans to take center stage as the main antagonists. Not coincidentally, this is also where many zombie movies take a dip in story quality.

I've heard again and again that everyone really enjoyed this anime for the first six episodes or so, but many people just *hated* the second half. I personally don't *hate* the second half, but I do agree that it wasn't as good as the first. I think the reason for this is the same as the problem with many zombie movies: the story stopped focusing on the humans surviving out on the railway against the steam-zombies and the main threat shifted to an evil human who had plans against other humans.

Yes, there are other problems with the story, such as some of the story beats not making sense or some that were only hinted at or the protagonist DERAILS A FRICKIN' TRAIN WITH HIS VOICE, DAMNIT THAT WAS STRAIGHT UP DUMB! But pretty much all of those things were tiny moments which I could... mostly hand-wave away. I really think the main problem was the same one that zombie movies have, so if the writers were trying to make a story about zombies, I guess they succeeded. Unfortunately, they succeeded in capturing the bad parts of zombie movies as well as the good.

But these are all my own observations and opinions. What do you all think about this? Did you see the same problem as I did?

Also... yes, I know the common accusation that "Iron Fortress" is just a copy of "Attack on Titan," but honestly, watching for the first time just this week, after AoT has become less omnipresent in the anime community, it didn't feel so blatant. It wasn't so obvious as when AoT was at its peak popularity. While I think the comparison was understandable, "Iron Fortess" is good enough that I can excuse the similarities.
Sep 10, 2022 4:46 PM
Jun 2020
zombies expose humanity
while an apocalypse exposes the darker side to survival.

it's the zombie apocalypse combo that gives rise to the evil humans to blame trope.
Sep 13, 2022 8:10 PM
Mar 2021
I didn't see a similarity to Attack On Titan at all, honestly.

other than the music, that is. I definitely felt the AoT vibes just from the soundtrack
Sep 30, 2022 6:53 AM

Dec 2016
I agree, Rex. This trope ruined Train to Busan for me, although that movie also had other problems with its story.
Nov 12, 2022 12:57 AM

Sep 2018
All I knew about this anime was the comparisons to AOT, after watching three episodes of it so far, it's like I'm watching a glorified zombie flick in gorgeous anime form.
Nov 22, 2022 3:08 PM
Nov 2022
I think you're pretty spot on here. My biggest issue is that all the characters in the anime seem to not think in important moments, or delay because -dramatic tension-. It's a beautiful anime, but any digging into motivations or character qualities just exposes the story flaws

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2016

933 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 30, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

368 by OlaEdu »»
Apr 29, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2016

545 by OlaEdu »»
Apr 29, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jarjaxle - May 5, 2016

615 by wallus81 »»
Apr 29, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2016

790 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.