Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 12, 2022 7:33 AM
Oct 2019
2D Mecha 😭
This was my first Gundam, and it looks so good... 😱

ngl it got me emotional when the father sing Happy Birthday...

can't wait for October 2nd.
Sep 12, 2022 6:36 PM

Jan 2020
I have mixed feeling about this, on one hand it feels great but on the other hand it feels so cliche. Like the content is disturbing and powerful, but the narrative & dialogue is nothing new imo so far. Well there's only so much you can do for a prologue I guess so hopefully the main series can expand on the writing.
Sep 12, 2022 10:26 PM

Oct 2008
OMG! that was so COOL! IMPRESSIVE and INTENSE!
adults be watch-out for kids with personal vendettas equipped with 100% full control on GUND-ARM!
5/5.

Sep 13, 2022 11:38 PM

Feb 2019
Absolute masterclass. Sunrise are back. If this is any indication of the storytelling and action in the anime, we’re going to be in for an amazing time. Kyoukai senki was nice, but it’s great to be back in the Gundam universe.
Sep 18, 2022 12:13 PM
Nov 2021
High production value but that's usually the case with any series in Gundam franchise. The central conflict however, feels like whoever that writes this series has ran out of ideas to use Gundam as a commentary on the tragedy of war. Basically, the would be antagonist said that fighting war with Gundam is bad because the mobile suit hurts its pilot. Only human has the right to kill another human. This is just raising a non-issue; what's the moral implications of using a self-harming war machine as opposed to a normal one? Unless the antagonist's speech was just a ruse to smoke out competition, the series would be more in the direction of 'new tech vs old guard' instead of depicting the horror of war.

Note: the name Lfrith (if the translation is correct) could be based on Ifrit, which is a demon name in Islamic tradition.
Sep 18, 2022 2:15 PM

Jul 2016
Balsamina said:

Interesting footnote btw: Delling's name is nordic in origin. means "luminous", is named after a dwarf (in norse mythology, these are synonymous with dark elves).
[source: https://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Dellingr]

Theo1899 said:
The_Sum_of_Zero said:

PSA for everyone, it's actually pronounced Lubris (ルブリス is ruburisu). Where they got the Lfrith spelling from, I have no clue lol.

I hadn't looked at the katakana. It's interesting because F is pronounced the same as english V in welsh which is sometimes transcribed with the B row of katakana. My theory that it's based the welsh word for milk might actually stand.
I'm gonna add to the names discourse that Fólkvangr, the name of the asteroid in which the protagonists live, in Norse mythology is an afterworld ruled by goddess Freyja; the name is linked to that of the Vanadis Institute that is built inside it, as Vanadis is an alternative name of goddess Freyja

⁘⁘⁘

lancelot200 said:
I will really enjoy the moral/philosophical debate in the series. We have one side developing a technology used for weapons that is deadly to its user at even on moderate usage. We have another side that seeks to prevent its development for the safety of humankind. I hope that it keeps diving into this conflict as oppose to just making another independence/imperialism conflict.
I hope this as well! I think it's important to point out that the side developing this new tech is arguing that while it has a military use it will also be extremely beneficial for human life in space (in this sense there are the seeds of a earth vs space colonies conflict potentially)

⁘⁘⁘

So... To me this was a good yet tough episode, and if the series will keep this tone I think it will be even more tragic than the usual Gundam... Also the ethical conflict is pretty contemporary and thought provoking. I agree with those who say the audio/voice acting was great. I also enjoyed the visuals, tho it was a bit difficult for me to follow the battle.
About Ericht piloting the newest Gundam, in one scene we see her mother pushing a button so maybe she was not doing everything by herself? Probably I'm wrong. Anyway, it looks like she's the new type of the situation in a way. Also fun that the system for piloting the MS kinda seems the hard sci-fi version of the way EVAs are controlled.
All in all good episode, I think I'll watch the series.

PS: @Rei_III seeing you made me smile. I remember you from the Gundam Zeta (or was it ZZ?) forum, when I watched it a bunch of years ago... Nice to see you're still around here :)
Sep 18, 2022 4:14 PM

Jun 2016
astrogonza said:
Balsamina said:

Interesting footnote btw: Delling's name is nordic in origin. means "luminous", is named after a dwarf (in norse mythology, these are synonymous with dark elves).
[source: https://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Dellingr]

Theo1899 said:

I hadn't looked at the katakana. It's interesting because F is pronounced the same as english V in welsh which is sometimes transcribed with the B row of katakana. My theory that it's based the welsh word for milk might actually stand.
I'm gonna add to the names discourse that Fólkvangr, the name of the asteroid in which the protagonists live, in Norse mythology is an afterworld ruled by goddess Freyja; the name is linked to that of the Vanadis Institute that is built inside it, as Vanadis is an alternative name of goddess Freyja

I'm dumb even though I knew about these names I didn't even think to check Old Norse for possible lfrith erymologies.

"And so, armed with consideration for the Old Norse language, Theo1899 is ready to start theorizing about goddamn lfrith again."

The closest words I can come up with though are laufið (Icelandic for "the leaf", the "the" is part of the word), lifðir (ON and Icelandic for you sg lived) and leyfðir (ON and Icelandic you sg allowed) so llefrith (or lefrith because celtic grammar is weird) which is welsh for milk is still the closest word I can find.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 21, 2022 5:41 PM
Sep 22, 2022 1:26 PM

Sep 2012
I didn't want to have high expectations, but the prologue was reaaaally good. Looks pretty dark, let's hope the whole show has the same tone.

About Eri being a natural, saw someone on the YouTube comments saying that looks like she "trained" the Gundam AI system: when she is left alone inside the suit she is still talking to her, explaining about her family and other stuff. So the reason why she was able to pass the Layer 33 was because AI knew more about her than any other test pilot, including her mother.
Sep 24, 2022 7:50 AM
Apr 2012
I loved it. What a strong start and introduction to the new Gundam series!

What was interesting to me was how they talked about the Gundam as a person, a child and even talked to it. I wonder if the Gundam is an AI. It also gave a bit of EVA vibes to me, especially with the mother being the first pilot.

This one episode made me care and feel sad about the characters dying or being traumatized because of the attack. It's good.

I definitely liked the climate of the classic Gundam tragedy TM

The choice to have a 4 year old girl piloting Gundam and destroy the attackers was very interesting. She didn't understand what she was actually doing, that she was killing. She didn't understand that her dad sang Happy birthday to her just before dying. That's just so dark. Wow. I'm really curious what she'll be like when she's grown.
Sep 25, 2022 7:26 AM

Jul 2021
When they played the Happy Birthday song in the end, it really did hurts. I don't really mind the whole goal in the long run when it comes to war and peace but I really want to figure out what the world will expand on in the main story. Nice prologue overall.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Sep 25, 2022 7:58 AM
Apr 2015
I sobbed so hard over this. My heart is broken but I’m also excited for the series to start. It looks so amazing and the animation is beautiful. Eri is so adorable
HeavenleeBunnieSep 25, 2022 8:37 AM
Sep 25, 2022 8:47 AM

Feb 2012
There is an anime entry and discussion thread for it here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2030389

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 26, 2022 10:10 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Returns the Gundams series with violence, death and destruccion. Welcome!!!
Sep 26, 2022 10:32 AM

Apr 2011
This was my first experience with Gundam and I'm a bit confused...? The Council was going on about how bad Gundam etc but they themselves were using Gundam to attack the Professor and crew?? Their Gundam were different though, so maybe they were just specifically against the type of Gundam that the Professor was making because of the bio links.

I think I'm going to try the series though. I really enjoyed the character designs and I got so attached to them in this short space of time that when Nyla and Wendy and Nadim all died I felt slightly traumatised.
Sep 26, 2022 12:33 PM

Jun 2021
GUND technology lol where's the AM?
Sep 26, 2022 12:49 PM

Jan 2020
it was really good for a prologue.
Sep 26, 2022 12:50 PM

Jan 2020
wow haven't enjoyed an episode of Gundam in a long time
Sep 27, 2022 1:21 AM
Jul 2018
The terror on the mom's face, oh damn.
I liked it pretty much so far.
Sep 29, 2022 9:11 AM

Jan 2012
vxnderground said:
This was my first experience with Gundam and I'm a bit confused...? The Council was going on about how bad Gundam etc but they themselves were using Gundam to attack the Professor and crew?? Their Gundam were different though, so maybe they were just specifically against the type of Gundam that the Professor was making because of the bio links.

I think I'm going to try the series though. I really enjoyed the character designs and I got so attached to them in this short space of time that when Nyla and Wendy and Nadim all died I felt slightly traumatised.

Every Gundam is a Mobile Suit but not every Mobile Suit is a Gundam

Gundams are a very specific type of high-spec/cutting edge Mobile Suit which typically are build different with advanced weaponry and special features
Some kind of prototypes

here u could see that the Gundams were brainlinked while the Mobile Suits of the others are not

Sep 29, 2022 4:13 PM

Apr 2011
Hanfos said:
vxnderground said:

Every Gundam is a Mobile Suit but not every Mobile Suit is a Gundam

Gundams are a very specific type of high-spec/cutting edge Mobile Suit which typically are build different with advanced weaponry and special features
Some kind of prototypes

here u could see that the Gundams were brainlinked while the Mobile Suits of the others are not

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!
Sep 30, 2022 2:01 PM
May 2011
Finally got around to watching this before the series proper starts this weekend. It seems that the connection between the machine and the pilot is what allows the "Gundams" to perform better than the standard suits, but it puts such a strain on the pilot that it kills them. That said, I'm not sure how I feel about a 4-year-old taking out trained military personnel when she barely does anything.
Sep 30, 2022 6:30 PM
Aug 2022
Loved this so much. Great taste of what's to come, the setup and worldbuilding of this more corporate dominated world was really interesting to see.

And they seem to be going into some full on body horror with the Gundam piloting aspect with the cybernetics and the kind of lesions it looked like on the more unfortunate pilot's faces.

And of course there was the scene with baby Erirth piloting the Gundam, pushing the child soldier concept to the next level. Was thinking from her teen design she was going to be your typical cutesy genki girl but maybe she'd actually have some trauma from all this madness.
Oct 1, 2022 5:54 PM

Dec 2015
This was a fantastic prologue. Looking forward to the show starting tomorrow. It was expected that Eri would be able to pilot the Gundam. One heck of a way to spend your 4th birthday. I've watched some classic Gundam anime in the past so I find the set up here to be interesting. Plus it is very rare to see a female main character in a Gundam anime.

hai_X_isOct 1, 2022 6:01 PM
Oct 1, 2022 6:16 PM
Jul 2021
Hi!

I just watched the prologue and I’ve never watched a MSG anime before.. can someone explain to me what they are discussing about the suits hurting their pilot or something like that.. I don’t totally understand what’s happening but I’m interested enough to watch the anime.. I think the prologue is great but I wanna have full context if someone can help out a gundam newbie.. ty! :)
Oct 1, 2022 9:29 PM

May 2012
That was an impressive prologue story. The political conflicts, the tragic stories...man, it's been a long time since I've seen a pretty good gundam show. I almost cried at the end as the father sang happy birthday and Ericht happily sang along. Her cheerful innocence is killing me. Looking forward to the main story now.
Oct 1, 2022 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
GeekFood said:
Hi!

I just watched the prologue and I’ve never watched a MSG anime before.. can someone explain to me what they are discussing about the suits hurting their pilot or something like that.. I don’t totally understand what’s happening but I’m interested enough to watch the anime.. I think the prologue is great but I wanna have full context if someone can help out a gundam newbie.. ty! :)

You don't have to watch og mobile suit gundam to watch/understand this. This show is an AU (alternate universe), and is separate and isolated from the UC/main timeline, so this show should be newbie-friendly.

As for the gundam hurting their pilots, it is explained in the prologue but basically it's because the GUND format being a new technology and is unstable. Afaik, the GUND format is exclusive to this new timeline.

I'm also still a gundam newbie tho, so i might be wrong.
Oct 2, 2022 4:37 AM

Nov 2016
Epic prologue and if you think of this as episode 1 then it's the best I've seen this year.

Rei_III said:
Over-dramatic (but well made) scenes, a kid killing people with a super advanced war machine (Uso's record has been broken again),and yet another origin for the word. This is Gundam.

The action was nice, CGI wasn't too obvious, but it was in the black of space. And the ship was on the contrary quite ugly. The amount of objects made in CG was also repulsively high for me.
For the drawings themselves, I'm happily impressed by the charadesign, faces looks and all. But everything looks impressively (in a bad way) flat. It was like watching a more detailed version of a US cartoon (those super-heroes OAVs for example).

Score: 7/10
Enjoyment: 4/5
Pretty good promotional prologue.

I was looking for your comment and figured you would feel that way about the drama xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 2, 2022 5:08 AM
Jul 2021
PenguinBot said:
GeekFood said:
Hi!

You don't have to watch og mobile suit gundam to watch/understand this. This show is an AU (alternate universe), and is separate and isolated from the UC/main timeline, so this show should be newbie-friendly.

As for the gundam hurting their pilots, it is explained in the prologue but basically it's because the GUND format being a new technology and is unstable. Afaik, the GUND format is exclusive to this new timeline.

Ok! Tysm! I really appreciate it!
Oct 2, 2022 6:42 AM

Jan 2012
There were some scenes that took me out of the story - One being the Granny lady leaving a 4 year old child in the cockpit of a vehicle.

But setting the flaws aside I really enjoyed this prologue and even started tearing up a bit.
Oct 2, 2022 9:01 AM
Jul 2018
My first ever Gundam watch and let me tell you, it's amazing. This episode was easily 8or8.5/10! The emotions in this episode were clearly there and the animation was awesome.
I couldn't stop myself from crying when Eri & Nadim started singing Happy Birthday song T-T
Great episode, excited for the series!
Oct 2, 2022 9:08 AM

Apr 2012
PenguinBot said:
GeekFood said:
Hi!

Alternative universe? So, besides the overall franchise, it's basically an original project with its own ideas? Are SEED, IBO and 00 the same?
Oct 2, 2022 10:32 AM

Apr 2022
newcomer to gundam here. this prologue is truly something else. everything about it is just so good.
maybe its just me being new to the franchise, but i feel like it introduced several themes that are rarely tackled.
really excited for the series!
Oct 2, 2022 10:54 AM
Sep 2018
Lindo Demais!!!!
Oct 2, 2022 11:17 AM
Apr 2021
I really enjoyed the prologue, it hit all the right notes.
Oct 2, 2022 11:27 AM

Jun 2016
you know what ??

this show will be a g reat great tv show !!
Oct 3, 2022 2:34 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Threads about the same topic have been merged.
Oct 3, 2022 6:13 AM

Oct 2016
Holy fuck, Eri blissfully unaware while killing those people is chilling.

I watched the prologue right after watching the first episode, since I was unaware of this, so the whiplash is pretty insane lmao. Well, now I am prepared for the pain the show is eventually going to inflict on me, I mean the main show, since this prologue already did.
Oct 3, 2022 6:22 PM
Aug 2019
I should have watched this before the first episode, the contrast is quite something! A 4 years old happily killing other pilots its not something i expected to see today for sure lol This will be my first Gundam so excited of what it's going to be like!
Oct 3, 2022 6:24 PM

Jun 2013
That was pretty good not gonna lie
Oct 4, 2022 2:18 PM

Jun 2009
Well, this is one hell of a prologue. I'm hype for the series now.
Oct 4, 2022 4:21 PM
Jan 2022
Let's go lesbians Gundam fighters~!
Oct 5, 2022 1:28 AM

Jul 2016
Theo1899 said:
astrogonza said:

I'm dumb even though I knew about these names I didn't even think to check Old Norse for possible lfrith erymologies.

"And so, armed with consideration for the Old Norse language, Theo1899 is ready to start theorizing about goddamn lfrith again."

The closest words I can come up with though are laufið (Icelandic for "the leaf", the "the" is part of the word), lifðir (ON and Icelandic for you sg lived) and leyfðir (ON and Icelandic you sg allowed) so llefrith (or lefrith because celtic grammar is weird) which is welsh for milk is still the closest word I can find.
Ahahah love the narrator bit :P

I don't know anything about any of the languages you're talking about, but I'm not very persuaded by your hypotheses. Simply because all the rest of the names all have to do with something mythological, and none of your guesses seem to have anything to do with myths in my eyes (then again, maybe idk milk has some important place in Welsh mythology) so it's a bit off. Maybe the problem is in how the katakana have been transposed in English. Or I'm just wrong
Oct 5, 2022 3:59 PM

Feb 2012
I understand that making a fresh new series for a franchise that has a long and storied past is difficult, but this series doesn't look like it will live up to the past. This prologue makes it look like this show won't be a good Gundam story, science fiction story, or action story. The entire conflict makes no sense and the sides to this conflict are hard to distinguish at this point. The science fiction aspect of the story has been done before in other series and I doubt this series will be anywhere close as good or thought provoking. The action might look good, but almost all the tension is lost considering a four-year-old girl was able to annihilate professional pilots by just hitting three buttons on a screen.

The main thing going for this anime is that most people don't know the past. The main issue this show looks to have is that it seems unlikely it will live up to the quality of previous works in its franchise and genre, but that doesn't matter if most people have never seen those good works.
Oct 5, 2022 6:37 PM
Mar 2019
Not a big Gundam / Mecha fan, but i enjoyed this.
Looks like some revenge later.
Oct 6, 2022 6:49 PM
Feb 2018
As an introduction to the broader world we'll learn about in the official series, Witch from Mercury prologue was an alright show. It is very clear that this is the start of something else as questions are proposed and then never answered, most likely to be answered within the full series itself.

As a stand alone, it is...decent.
Oct 9, 2022 4:32 PM
Dec 2016
It was amazing at setting the tone of the show and laying the groundwork for much drauma in the future
Oct 10, 2022 3:25 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Excelent prologue. This is the way to do introduce us to a story and make it compelling and wanting us to have more. Best bit of Gundam I've seen since IBO
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 15, 2022 7:05 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This prologue was better than I expected, definitly made me want to watch ep1 afterwords and the soundtrack standalone as EPIC, very different from IBO, gave me vibes of Interstellar, which IMO is very welcoming, they really started this one with the right foot!

Stardew said:
First Gundam experience. Experiencing the darkness of the story already. The young protagonist is already destroying robots like a game. Really sad that the dad and grandma is gone already. Hopefully the mom can survive this story!

The good thing about these Gundam shows, specially the modern ones, is that you can get into them without requiring previous knowledge and from there the doors are open for you to eventually want to each more of the series previous iterations.

I would definitly reccomend Iron Blooded Orphans S1 and S2 to you, it will probably be more bleak and brutal than this current iteration, so it will leave you with a different feel to it, but still awesome 52 episodes journey of FEELS.
Oct 16, 2022 1:18 PM

Jan 2019
So I've never watched any gundam before, but holy shit was that incredible.

The animation, the tension, the soundtrack and the voice acting were all amazing! Is all gundam this good?

Only thing that confused me was the different factions and gundam types, but I'm sure I'll catch on quickly.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it necessary to watch this Prologue to understand the Sequel?

Barry_Allen_14 - Mar 26, 2023

10 by ClaudG »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Crunchyroll just shadowdropped the dub for Prologue

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jan 30, 2023

1 by UltimateKai »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:50 PM

» Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury – PROLOGUE airs one week before the show's premiere.

MasterAdventZero - Sep 25, 2022

2 by ggultra2764 »»
Sep 25, 2022 4:14 PM

» Stream links

Atlos - Jul 15, 2022

12 by removed-user »»
Sep 16, 2022 10:29 PM

» "Mobile Suit Gundam the Witch from Mercury - PROLOGUE" is coming to Gundam Info outside of Japan on September 1

deg - Aug 17, 2022

2 by davidyodo24 »»
Sep 12, 2022 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.