Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 29, 2022 4:01 AM
Nov 2021
The anime's plot is enough gripping and interesting.I'm curious about how it will go on.
Apr 29, 2022 4:42 AM

Sep 2021
so they changed the ushio festival part. this ep was way better than in the manga

festival part next episode. this shit gonna get crazy

also just figured out the authors involved when finishing the manga so better hope the final battle gets a revamp
hgwnejmp.ädqwsd
Apr 29, 2022 5:44 AM
Jun 2017
he now realized that he need his friends in solving this one, as those shadows are just popping out of nowhere...

next episode, im ready for you
Apr 29, 2022 5:53 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, I can't trust nobody in this island lmao. Based on my understanding last episode when Tetsu was copied, they were copying the memories too right? So that means their code words should be useless, unless I am mistaken.

Look at this love square or circle or something lmao. Poor Sou, poor Mio and poor Shinpei.

Last episode makes sense now I guess, when shadow Mio said that Shinpei is already something something, it got cut off. I assume that was him getting copied at the funeral. But he got copied by shadow Shiori again in this loop, so fuck.

Very interesting ending too, I wonder if that's shadow Ushio, would be interesting if shadow Ushio wasn't really bad, since they're saying shadow Shiori is the one that killed Ushio. Though, maybe it was shadow Ushio that was killed and it's actually the real Ushio we're seeing right now. I don't fucking know lmao, this show is damn good.

One thing I am sure of though, is that that last scene was fucking beautiful. Really loved the lighting.
Apr 29, 2022 6:16 AM

Oct 2021
Just when i thought story has begin to unfold but then they showed Ushio? i assume it is probably a shadow. btw Ending animation and visuals were fabulous combined with the ED...

5/5
Apr 29, 2022 7:07 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
A nice step forward for Shinpei. He got a way to solving a little bit of little Shiori mystery, and the flash that coming from the funeral, without involving Mio. Its really Shiori shadow as i expect from the previous episode, and Shinpei affected by the sickness cause he's seeing and interact with Shiori shadow there. Thats why he's being targeted by Mio shadow, and Shiori shadow in these episode. Perhaps...

After that, Shinpei still not manage to meet with the woman in the black suit, while its actually kinda obvious where she's around, at that time. She's at the shrine, right?

Next. Shinpei decide to cooperate with Sou, which surprisingly is the real one, for now. Then, what if Sou actually looking for the woman in the black suit? Hmm. And i really don't know what to say about Mio moment while she's being left alone when Shinpei pursue Ushio at the festival. Which honestly i believe that's to be the real Ushio. Why? Well, its just my guts feeling. Hope its wrong.

But too bad its ended up with a perfect cliffhanger. Yes, bad for me, because i can't wait for another next week waiting time, even if its actually a very nice end.

Jamais Vu incoming...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 29, 2022 7:27 AM

Dec 2020
why the hell was ushio there at the end there😭😭 thats just fucked up bro why do this to me
Apr 29, 2022 9:14 AM

Jan 2019
Shinpei's investigation has been going well so far in terms of writing, so when he said "I can count on him" about Sou, I was ready to get pissed at the plot for making characters conveniently dumb. But gladly, he was pulled back to reality by none other than Sou himself (which I still think it's a shadow since he seems to be hiding something about "yesterday").

Very unbelievable that Shinpei was the only one to notice the one blonde girl who just recently passed away (and, as far as I understand, was beloved by most of the island) walking around, but okay.

I like Mio, I hope she doesn't end up being wood for the cruel flames of the plot. Still unsure about the stakes in the show, but I think at least Ushio is for certain not coming back to life in the end.

Jamk_ said:
Boobs > Ass I have spoken the truth

This man speaks the words of truth.
Apr 29, 2022 9:32 AM
Mar 2022
that ending was a good cliffhanger. the visuals 💯
Apr 29, 2022 9:59 AM
Apr 2022
Whoa that ending....the song and the scene, beautiful! Shinpei 😍
Apr 29, 2022 10:43 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Shinpei tells Sou about the shadows and it seems he believes him which was good to know.
Seems Sou likes Mio.
And Ushio is back?!

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Apr 29, 2022 12:34 PM

Feb 2017
Great adaptation so far

Apr 29, 2022 12:41 PM

Jul 2014
Why do I feel like "Ushio's" appearance at the festival is a cruel trick from the Shadows to lure Shinpei away from Mio so they can kill her? Well, both Sou and Tokiko (had we seen her before this?) were acting pretty suspiciously, so it doesn't seem entirely outside the realm of possibility. That said, we've quite consistently seen that Shadows disintegrate the bodies of their victims to avoid suspicion and immediately integrate, so I feel like the theory that Shiori's shadow strangled Ushio to death doesn't quite work; that leaves room for the possibility of Ushio being alive and the corpse at the funeral being her Shadow's.

Also, from the innkeep's comment about Shinpei asking him about Hizuru before, are we supposed to take that as meaning that there's a shadow Shinpei running around the island already? Sou, whether human or Shadow, mentioned the possibility of Shinpei being a Shadow already (which of course we know to not be true cos he's our PoV and this is a mystery, so lying to us on that magnitude would be terrible) but Shinpei didn't seem to pick up on that little inconsistency at all.
Apr 29, 2022 12:42 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
The thread has been cleaned. Please refrain from asking when subs/raws will be released, or where to download/watch the episode.
Apr 29, 2022 1:22 PM
Feb 2021
Marinate1016 said:
This is the anime of the season for me. Nothing is gonna touch this, assuming it doesn’t fall apart. The atmosphere, mystery, characters, art, just everything I look for in an anime and really gives me that “no way 23 minutes passed by” “can’t wait for next week” feeling that you don’t get a lot these days.

As for today’s episode, my favourite of the 3 despite it having the least amount of action so far. LOVED the Ed playing during that last scene at the festival. Goosebumps.

One theory I’m working with is that Shinpei’s eyes are different colours because one eye has the ability to see supernatural things, would explain how he saw Ushio’s spirit and then the vision on the stairs at the house today. Can’t really see them just giving him mixed matched eyes for nothing and given his comment about it last week, I’m sure it’s plot related.

Loved the Mio moments this week too. Quickly becoming my best girl of the season. Not sure of what the age gap between she and Shinpei is, but I ship it 🤷🏾‍♂️ Disney need to let this out so the world can experience this.

It’s called Heterochromia iridum, if you wanna know why his eyes are different colors.
Apr 29, 2022 1:43 PM
Nov 2021
Isn't there enough intrigue and incentive to watch without adding obnoxious incestuous romantic entanglements among the primary friend group?
Apr 29, 2022 1:56 PM

Feb 2019
Rembe said:
Marinate1016 said:
This is the anime of the season for me. Nothing is gonna touch this, assuming it doesn’t fall apart. The atmosphere, mystery, characters, art, just everything I look for in an anime and really gives me that “no way 23 minutes passed by” “can’t wait for next week” feeling that you don’t get a lot these days.

As for today’s episode, my favourite of the 3 despite it having the least amount of action so far. LOVED the Ed playing during that last scene at the festival. Goosebumps.

One theory I’m working with is that Shinpei’s eyes are different colours because one eye has the ability to see supernatural things, would explain how he saw Ushio’s spirit and then the vision on the stairs at the house today. Can’t really see them just giving him mixed matched eyes for nothing and given his comment about it last week, I’m sure it’s plot related.

Loved the Mio moments this week too. Quickly becoming my best girl of the season. Not sure of what the age gap between she and Shinpei is, but I ship it 🤷🏾‍♂️ Disney need to let this out so the world can experience this.

It’s called Heterochromia iridum, if you wanna know why his eyes are different colors.

No. It’s not why his eyes are different colours did you even read the post lol? It’s not a natural scientific thing.
Apr 29, 2022 2:10 PM

Apr 2018
Lurik259 said:
Isn't there enough intrigue and incentive to watch without adding obnoxious incestuous romantic entanglements among the primary friend group?

Shinpei is not related by blood to Ushio and Mio (they do not have the same last name). Besides Ushio has French origins unlike Mio (Which means that she is probably Mio's half-sister).
YumekuaApr 29, 2022 2:30 PM
Apr 29, 2022 3:04 PM

Nov 2013
This "Ushio" will likely und up GUTTING our poor MC since she's almost certainly a shadow.
So, Poor Mio hopes for some "non-blood-related" incest huh?
Apr 29, 2022 3:33 PM

Jan 2020
I don't remember him asking Shiori that at the start of the loop.
I can't really explain it, but this episode felt off compared to Episode 2. Felt the same with Episode 1.
Looking forward to Episode 4 though!
ShengudApr 29, 2022 3:39 PM
Apr 29, 2022 3:51 PM
May 2021
Mio is such a beauty

Apr 29, 2022 4:03 PM
Aug 2021
Phlaryx said:
So far it’s been a 1:1 adaptation. If they keep this pacing up then I can’t wait for the next two episodes. Some crazy stuff about to happen.
Wdym 1:1 adaptation

Apr 29, 2022 5:05 PM
Nov 2018
As a reader of the manga, I'm so happy to have such a beautiful adaptation ! Feels great ! =)
Apr 29, 2022 5:35 PM
Jul 2017
GhostUnknown said:
Phlaryx said:
So far it’s been a 1:1 adaptation. If they keep this pacing up then I can’t wait for the next two episodes. Some crazy stuff about to happen.

It means 1 to 1 meaning they’re adapting the manga perfectly.
Apr 29, 2022 10:53 PM

May 2014
Can ask if this is the same explanation in the manga? Somehow I got confused with the shadow sickness part that Shinpei realized he's already been afflicted. I know it's because he asked the Shiori shadow first thing about seeing someone similar to her but I thought according to Nezu in ep 1, shadow sickness is where you see your own shadow which it isn't the case on Shinpei?

Does that mean getting afflicted by shadow sickness happens anytime if a shadow "copies" you even if you're still alive? (which is the flash in the funeral)
arvin_1219Apr 29, 2022 11:02 PM
Apr 29, 2022 11:36 PM
Jun 2020
Like other people are saying, this is the anime of the season. I can just feel it. Not only that, but it's also because of the way the plot and mystery are constructed, as well as the world building.

Each episode so far has has done such a wonderful job of introducing it's audience to the story. In episode 1, we got perfectly got introduced to many of the characters and who they are via the funeral and afterwards, which allowed us to see their backstories, motivations, and character relationships. In fact, it's a big accomplishment that they managed to introduce almost the entire cast in one episode, and gave each of them as much time and development they needed for a proper character introduction. Episode 1 also introduced the main conflict (the shadows) at the end as well, whilst not giving away too much as to leave the viewer intrigued for what happens next.

In Episode 2, we already know who the characters are, we already had the atmosphere properly set with the help of the BGM, and this episode established the rules of the mystery and properly explained what the shadows are without giving away too much information as to spoil the mystery.

In Episode 3 now, we got to see the Shinpei gather whoever he can trust to help him on this new adventure of his, properly establishing who our main characters are going to be for the rest of the series. But more importantly, the show put Shinpei and the others in low risk situations just to ease the viewer into the mystery solving/detective work scenes that are definitely going to be a key component of the show form now on. This episode did alot of things in 24 minutes, and the calmer scenes with characters just talking about their lives and having fun are welcome too. It gives a big break from all the more intense, emotional, and suspenseful scenes.

But overall, I'm just impressed at how in only 3 episodes, this show made me care more about these characters than most other anime did in their first 3. It feels like I already have been watching these characters for an entire season already. I guess that just goes to show how relatable they are, given that most of the problems they go through are ones lots of people of any demographic can relate to. It might be odd to say, but this show feels like a combination of all the good aspects of Higurashi, Re Zero, and Steins;Gate, and it feels like i'm not the only one.
"Anywhere Can Be A Paradise As Long As You Have The Will To Live." — Yui Ikari
"Mankind's Greatest Fear Is Mankind Itself." — Gendo Ikari
Apr 29, 2022 11:52 PM

Aug 2011
Shadow Ushio no doubt and I bet Sou is a shadow just because why would he ask if Shinpei is a shadow from the get go.
Apr 30, 2022 12:20 AM

Jul 2016
I almost thought he's gonna get stabbed upstairs, Shin needs to be more careful xD

Mio likes Shin, but Shin still likes his dead girlfriend. Longing for your dead girlfriend oh boy, *umineko flashbacks*

The last sequence as Shin run passes Mio and follows his dead girlfriend??, love that running animation accompanied by the ED.
Apr 30, 2022 6:59 AM

Feb 2021
arvin_1219 said:
Can ask if this is the same explanation in the manga? Somehow I got confused with the shadow sickness part that Shinpei realized he's already been afflicted. I know it's because he asked the Shiori shadow first thing about seeing someone similar to her but I thought according to Nezu in ep 1, shadow sickness is where you see your own shadow which it isn't the case on Shinpei?

Does that mean getting afflicted by shadow sickness happens anytime if a shadow "copies" you even if you're still alive? (which is the flash in the funeral)

Yes being afflicted with the shadow sickness means that you have been copied, and it isn’t necessary that you have to see the shadow to know since shinpei could deduce that because he is looping, you can say that he is paying attention to his surroundings and the fact that he hears the flash in the funeral + seen it at the house so he confirmed that he might have been copied already
bam
Apr 30, 2022 8:52 AM

Mar 2018
What an ending, Ushio makes her reappearance.

That bit with Shiori actually scared me lol.
Apr 30, 2022 10:20 AM
Jan 2022
It just gets more interesting and it makes you want to figure the stuff out so much more every episode. And that scene where he asked the guy about the spy lady just made everything so much more complicated, I can’t wait to see how that makes sense.
Apr 30, 2022 10:27 AM
Aug 2021
Phlaryx said:
GhostUnknown said:

But they've already adapted 10 chaps, so its more like 2.5:1
Apr 30, 2022 10:57 AM
Jul 2017
GhostUnknown said:
Phlaryx said:

But they've already adapted 10 chaps, so its more like 2.5:1

Um no? That’s not the point that’s not how this works. By One-to-One I mean they haven’t skipped any scenes for the manga so far. The adaptation has been perfect so far. I’m being as straight forward as I can with you lol.
PhlaryxApr 30, 2022 12:49 PM
Apr 30, 2022 11:20 AM
Jul 2020
Unlucky! Watching this anime feels very short. I can't have to wait 24 minutes for a week.

Apr 30, 2022 11:48 AM
Jan 2017
Ushio is alive ?!!! Omg it's gonna be a masterpiece anime if it's true cuz i don't know but i think Ushio's character is fun to watch
Apr 30, 2022 12:13 PM

Jul 2015
At first, I thought I would be easily able to predict which one would be a shadow. And don't get me wrong, I still have some heavy suspicions, but I think the episode did a good job at muddying the waters for me by the end. (I thinking Sou could be bc he didn't say the important thing he wanted to the day before)
Have a healthy, happy, day of hilarity!

[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.[/font]

Apr 30, 2022 9:53 PM

Feb 2021
The thrill of not being able to differentiate between Shadows and real humans is unreal. Great animation, lots of angles used throughout the episodes, unique plot and suspenseful story telling and direction; this might actually be the best anime of the season.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 30, 2022 10:29 PM

Dec 2019
50% chance the Ushio we saw at the end is her doppelganger and she murders Shinpei here. I'm hoping instead that Ushio killed her double with her own two hands (hence the strangulation marks) and from here she'll be part of the main cast though.
May 1, 2022 12:57 AM
May 2022
I don't know about you guys, but after Shinpei asked Sou what he wanted to talk to him about, and Sou simply said that it was nothing important, I had the impression that Sou was already a shadow.

Another issue is, if Ushio was killed by the shadow, maybe it wasn't during the drowning, as there were marks on her neck, which presumably the shadow killed her later in the hospital or something. But if so, why didn't she take Ushio's place? (since the body appers at the funeral) ... I don't believe that the shadow would have killed her simply for killing.

On the other hand, Shiori, at the time of the drowning, could already be a shadow, and by the time Ushio went to save her, she might have strangled her too. And because of all the commotion, she couldn't touch her body afterwards to be able to copy, which would explain Ushio's body being in the funeral.

Despite that, that doesn't justify Ushio's appearance at the end....

Still, when Shinpei talks to the owner of the inn and asks for the woman in the suit and big boobs, he has a flash back to a previous moment, in which the owner of the inn drunk enters the Shinpei family's store saying that he had asked for that woman. However at that moment he hadn't asked for the woman yet. In that case, there's a possibility that Ushio, in this case, is an "echo" from another timeline, maybe............
mKurotMay 1, 2022 1:19 AM
May 1, 2022 3:29 AM

Nov 2019
You can't trust anyone

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
May 1, 2022 1:00 PM

Aug 2008
I half regret having read the manga, I wasn't properly surprised by the reveal at the conclusion of this episode, instead I was waiting in anticipation for Ushio to make her appearance instead. Still put a grin on my face though, almost feel like I did back when Game of Thrones as in its early glory days looking in amusement at show only watchers reactions ha.
May 1, 2022 3:40 PM
May 2020
so the shadows merked that family. and what a way to end the episode
May 2, 2022 3:28 AM

Apr 2009
didn't know Japanese spoke with a Texas accent.
May 2, 2022 7:58 AM

Aug 2020
So Sou-Kun like Mio-chan but she likes Shinpei instead...
Ouch, poor my man
DILF characters need more appreciation
Hot boys which are not Bishies also welcome
May 2, 2022 1:34 PM
Mar 2019
1when the shadows are killed Did their bodies disappear or are the bodies still intact? Somehow I don't think the corpse in the cemetery is ushio, but the shadows of the real ushio and Ushio are still alive lol.don't think too much about my silly thoughts,because of the fact that I just rejected the fact that Ushio was gone lol.
May 2, 2022 4:44 PM

Jan 2013
Gotta love watching my man Eren in a different work, he's doing great for his role lmao
On the other side, i am absolutely loving it and it kills me that we know so little.
Now i wonder what was that ending...was she really good? And is Shinpei really safe to trust? We'll see i guess but can't wait.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 3, 2022 7:25 AM

Sep 2020
Love the AOT reference in this episode.

Mio : Shinpei what am I to you 😔
Shinpei : Family !!!!
May 3, 2022 1:24 PM

Apr 2018
I love Mio's va, it's just adorable. The mysteries are slowly building up yet they don't have a clue on what's going on.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 5, 2022 7:12 AM
Jan 2021
Im calling it right now ushio's shadow is probably gonna be different from those other shadow's maybe because of the memory's she got from ushio and that made the shadow unstable compared to the other shadows

Also the dude friend is friend is probably a shadow since you can't trust just anyone in this kind of series
May 5, 2022 2:57 PM
Jan 2022
Wtfff Every frame of this anime is a masterpiece art..Why the heck the Cover Photo of this anime is so average.Only for that average Cover Photo many people like me would have ignored such high quality animation.If I had not seen Higurashi(Very similar,even to the extent of Plagiarism by Summerrender) or Steins Gate ,then This show would have been in my Top anime of all time
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 12, 2022

150 by Tilor_Koopa »»
May 17, 10:21 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

472 by UltraMonkeyX »»
May 7, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2022

193 by RGreatDanton »»
May 1, 12:41 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2022

340 by RGreatDanton »»
May 1, 9:37 AM

» [Spoilers] So how did Ushio get... ?

SabreDrago - Sep 23, 2022

25 by Cyrose »»
Apr 23, 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.