Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 25, 2019 4:59 PM

Jun 2015
What a fucking episode!!!!!!
Apr 6, 2019 1:35 PM

Sep 2017
Come on Tenma. That was too much hesitation. They should of made Roberto show up sooner. I mean Tenma has gone through so much to get to this point. You think he would have prepared himself to just pull the trigger.

Still the story book was really good and explains a lot.
May 31, 2019 7:15 PM
Apr 2018
I get that Tenma might not be prepared to kill Johan in that situation, but, come on, he can't even pull the trigger when another man right in front of him is about to shoot him to death?

Lotte was so annoying: Nina was about to freak out and the only thing she did was bombarded her with her shitty questions. At least at apologized later.
Jun 29, 2019 6:05 AM

Jan 2015
Nice book to read it to children. lol
Sep 30, 2019 4:59 AM

Dec 2015
the book part was awesome, but the whole unable to shot thing was just bad, he turned into a fugitive, throwed aside everything he had all for this moment and still wasted it...
Nov 8, 2019 6:49 AM

Dec 2018
People will say that Johan is the east monster while Nina is the west monster, but I guess there's more to that.

Ok, Roberto's face is getting boring to see.

Of course, Tenma wouldn't shoot, because he wants us to wait for Johan to say himself just what creature he really is.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Nov 19, 2019 6:34 AM

Oct 2013
One is apt to forget how fucked up classic fairytales -- you know, the original ones, not the ones butchered by Disney -- until a show like Monster reminds you. That was some fucked up shit, fam.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 23, 2019 3:12 PM
Jul 2013
Wow. With this episode the show goes straight to 10. A true gem lost under mountains of garbage.
Nov 24, 2019 4:11 AM
Nov 2019
You guys have no idea what European fairytales are like, clearly. The theme of this story is pretty common; funny thing, as a child you never realise how horrid some of them can be, it's only when you become an adult that it might hit you . Inception is what comes to mind when I wonder "why" these stories exist to begin with: they're an example, for children safety, acceptance of certain unavoidable life events and appreciation of what one has. (luckily a lot of them aren't really necessary nowadays)

That being said, this was a good episode! I don't think Tenma will ever be able to shoot anyone dead, but who knows, I'm only half way through. So many wonderful twists! Such good drama ! This could make for a decent novel.
But Nina annoys me: How on earth was she able to break a glass go through, jump 1-2 levels , all in short skirt and high heeled sandals (without a scratch!!) ! That Czech skin is something else!
Apr 12, 2020 5:39 AM

May 2016
I honestly can't get over how amazing this anime truly is. It doesn't even feel like I'm watching anime, it's like real life. A pure masterpiece.

And Johan is a little bastard.
Apr 16, 2020 6:07 AM

Apr 2009
I'm slightly amused at people's reaction here to the book. As a kid I religiously read Grimms fairy tales lol.

Tenma's hesitation did frustrate me, but on the other hand if he were to pull the trigger I would find it out of character for him. I think they dragged the scene out too much, with both his hesitation to shoot and his slow reaction to Roberto aiming the rifle at Schubert.

That Johan was going to lit fire and create chaos was quite obvious, especially after seeing Roberto's "wife" carrying the canister around. That Roberto wasn't aware about the plan is surprising though.

I see parallels to Johans path of destruction and the book's story as well. Remember Wolf, one of the founder of the 511 kinderheim? Johan also killed all his family and acquaintances and Wolf said to Tenma he doesn't know anymore who he is because everyone he knows and who can call him by his name are dead. Also, Johann isolated Schubert as well. And the way Johan gets rid of the people that know his past, and all evidence to his existence, it's kind of way to make himself "nameless" as well. I also remember the "game" he taught the kids. And one of them said that the purpose of this game is to see who would come out at the top. It seems Johan is trying to do the same, he's picking out ppl, "monsters" like him, and put them into the same situation as himself (isolation, becoming "nameless") and experiment with them, maybe to get a sort of confirmation or assurance for himself? Maybe I'm reaching out.
I've watched the anime years ago, can't remember the details now. So it's like watching it the first time again. I find that a suspense anime like Monster can't be rewatched immediately imo, the rewatch value is greater the more time you let pass.
shiroi-ookamiApr 16, 2020 6:18 AM
Sep 17, 2020 4:19 AM

Jul 2020
I still don’t get why Johan is targeting Schubert, did I miss something? Is Schubert part of Johan’s past or he just randomly pick him to be his next target? If we paralleled his life to that picture book, maybe he’s interested in “Schubert’s name” and want to “eat” him and have his “name”.

Robert’s sudden appearance was quite a surprise. I just thought Tenma will just completely chicken-out and abandon his intention of killing Johan without anyone stopping him. I try not to get irritated with Tenma’s hesitation but damn that was frustrating. But if he was able to kill Johan of course the next 37 episodes will be less interesting I think lol.
Oct 2, 2020 9:04 AM

Nov 2017
Oh mayne, that last scene was intense. &++ I loved the camera work during the stand off between Dr. Tenma and Roberto
Oct 11, 2020 4:01 AM

Dec 2007
so many twists, you would thing tenma would be able to shot but then roberto had shown up.

and we finally got to know the content of the book.
Nov 10, 2020 1:38 AM

Aug 2018
Fantastic episode, it ended at the perfect time where it supposed to, Roberto stopping Tenma is just proof that Johan calculates everything before doing it.

Dec 23, 2020 8:20 AM

Jul 2020
“One more episode”

-Me 20 episodes ago
Feb 23, 2021 9:02 PM

Jun 2020
Now I finally know what the ED is showing

By the looks of the preview it seems like somehow both Tenma and Roberto survived?

I think this tells us a lot about Johan. He's not JUST a serial killer. He's a sociopath who is more interested in controlling people and striking fear in them than inflicting pain and death on them. That explains why he can send people to do his killings for him and still feel gratification from it
Apr 7, 2021 8:21 PM
Mar 2021
I loved this episode. The perfect use of symbolism of the book to represent the twins, everything that happened in the library. I just wished that they didn't drag out Tenma pulling the trigger for that long, it was kind of frustrating, but I understood why it happened. Overall, great episode, and I wonder how the last half of the series is going to go.
Jun 18, 2021 9:35 PM

Jan 2020
omg.. this was fantastic.

The way they altered the visuals to showcase the children's book alongside anna's voice was done perfectly. Now it's pretty much confirmed that the ending's visuals were based off the book and it's insane that it's been revealed after all these episodes.

That book is pretty messed up though but I love the way the scene was done so I'll give the episode a 5/5 for that.

The second half of the episode was also insane with the fire... Johan is honestly just cruel and I can't help but feel bad for tenma

Jun 20, 2021 1:43 AM

Jul 2020
so that was the reason why Johan collapsed reading the picture book, hmm pretty interesting that he represents it

while at Tenma, it was pretty intense ngl, and was clear that it was a gunshot of a pistol lol, hope really nailed the killer
Jun 30, 2021 10:00 AM

Jan 2021
That’s a children book?!!!!
Who in their right mind would make that a children book
Jul 5, 2021 6:26 PM

Aug 2011
Omg the children's book is so damn scary. Aren't they supposed to teach children something? Not to steal?
desu desu binches
Sep 12, 2021 2:16 AM

Mar 2021
who even made such story in a picture book

and johan's burning all people instead of just killing one! <3333
Sep 14, 2021 8:30 AM

Mar 2021
Bari-Bari, Gusha-Gusha, Baki-Baki, Gokun

its ze fucking roberto again ffs!

Johan is just pure evil :0

🐐

Oct 13, 2021 2:35 AM

Jul 2015
I found Lotte to be a bit too annoying with her overreaction on people dying to whom she wasn't even close with. Gotta say thats one hell of a messed up children's book but I guess that goes for most old unaltered stories having a messed up side to it.

Nov 29, 2021 10:49 AM
Nov 2020
Yep yep best episode so far. We finally got to see Johans true state of malice and evil as he gracefully and silently watched the library light up in flames. I wonder what his next move will be and what Tenma's gonna do now that they're so close. Chills throughout so much of this episode, and it's exactly the halfway point of the series!
Dec 30, 2021 9:35 PM

Jul 2016
Of course Johan knew where Tenma was all this time. He's awesome like that after all.

Kind of a meh episode overall. First half featuring the so awaited picture book was indeed interesting but to this point, we were already able to easily figure out most of the story due to the ED's visuals and though the second half had a certain sense of tension, the predictability of the events made everything feel kinda flat in the end. This said, I guess the only aspect I didn't predict was the random library lady being another one of Johan's followers.

And as for Tenma chickening out... I mean, it was obvious he wouldn't shoot Johan this early in the series but still. Anyways, such a shame to confirm he doesn't have what's needed.
Jan 2, 2022 3:50 AM

Feb 2018
I loved that book part, those monsters have always been in the ending and it was really nice to finally know.
Apr 10, 2022 11:36 AM
Dec 2018
So the ending theme iis the picture book..
Apr 19, 2022 7:48 AM

Aug 2021
So far my fav episode, the story about the nameless monster is creepier than my expectations, would scream and faint immediately like Johan too if I saw that in a book irl lmao
May 4, 2022 4:06 PM
Aug 2020
wow what an episode! finally the creepy outro was explained

May 11, 2022 8:01 AM

Feb 2021
I liked the book part in the beginning. The rest was really slow and forced cliffhangers but I still liked it
Aug 17, 2022 3:00 PM

Mar 2022
Holy shit, what an episode. Johan is great. And I hope Tenma kills that guy but I don't think he will.
Jan 10, 2023 7:51 AM

Mar 2021
Ohhhhhh so the monster from the picturebook is the monster from the ED! It's obviously extremely important especially considering that they use it for the ED

I really like how eerie the book is. Definitely not for kids lol. Now, there must be some aspect that I'm missing which is gonna reveal more of Johan's personality. Lots of analyzing could be done for this episode...

The way I see it, the monster inside of people came to be because everyone strived to be better at something (broadly speaking), some of whom strived that to the point that they've done evil things to attain what they wanted - they accepted the monster's offer. But in the end, guilt and remorse ate them from the inside? Thus they "admitted" their crimes in one way or the other, and released the monster.
But the monster stayed inside the boy, even though it's hungry - the boy knows that he's done something others consider evil but doesn't feel remorse? The illness the monster cured is possibly some trauma.
Then since the monster inside couldn't eat HIM, it decided to eat everyone around him.
Johan knows there's a monster inside of him, but he might just not be able to feel any remorse. Hence the monster stays inside him and he keeps on killing.

Not sure how to interpret the other part of the monster, which is where my interpretation kinda falls apart :D

I'm ready to be completely off the mark lol, or perhaps the explanation is very straight-forward and I'm just too stupid to comprehend it at first watch :D

Tenma witnessed what it's like to have someone's life stopped in it's tracks more than once. I get him, you just can't imagine what you've done by ending someone's life. Who knows what anyone could've accomplished afterwards if they haven't died when they did. Tenma still holds on to that even with someone like Johan, for whom we are 100% sure that he just needs to die. Especially because he knows him since Johan was a little kid.

Freaking Roberto again, lmfao. The moment he took the sniper I was overwhelmed with thoughts that he's gonna shoot Schubert and frame Tenma for it, that would've been the death of him. But lighting the library on fire is also crazy.

Did nobody see Johan's hand signal lol, after which the fire started?

Tenma's first kill?
AbsoluteCinemaJan 10, 2023 8:16 AM

Jan 12, 2023 7:06 AM
May 2020
WOOOOOW. THIS EPISODE WAS PERFECT
Jan 15, 2023 2:35 AM
Oct 2019
Okay now all the endings of Monster make totally sence.

Well Tenma couldn't make it. I knew it.
And Johan burned it all down.
The first question is now...does Tenma shoot Roberto? And the second...Will Johan kill Schuwald soon or what's his exact plan now?
Jan 19, 2023 5:34 PM
Nov 2019
i rlly could feel the suspense
Feb 4, 2023 8:51 PM
Aug 2021
Was about to say that book is very unsettling, but then I remember that it is European fairytale. European fairytales are pretty dark, aren’t they?
Apr 4, 2023 11:21 PM

Aug 2019
PLEASE PLEASE BE DEAD ROBERTO
May 28, 2023 4:34 AM
Jul 2021
Bari bari, gusha gusha, baki baki, gokkun.
Just came here to write this.
Jun 2, 2023 9:12 AM

Mar 2016
Moral of the Story of Today's Episode:

1. DO NOT READ OLD CZECH CHILDREN'S FAIRY TALE BOOK!!! Else you'll either faint or be cursed to repeat the same phrase of bari bari gusha gusha baki baki gokun

This episode is really tense, very similar to the ep where the elitist neo-nazi is planning to burn down the Turkish district, the theme of things being burned with fire is similar, however this time, the targets soon to be consumed by the flames are wealthy, influential, high ranking individuals, associated or hoping to be associated with Schuwald. Furthermore, in this cradle of fire, Johan stood in the middle of it all both figuratively and literally.

Schuwald already knew that Johan is far too perfect of a person to not have any sinister plot, he knew that his own life is at risk, but his instinct to save Karl from seeing his own father dying was even greater when what actually happened seemed to be that Johan was trying to hit multiple birds with one stone. If this plan were to be successful and all those people dead, Johan could very well have the capacity to destabilize the state of Germany.

On the other hand, Tenma failed to assassinate Johan despite him being right at his crosshair. And ofc just as expected, fucking Roberto showed up yet again to fuck with Tenma's plan. Though ironically, his own plan to assassinate Schuwald was ruined when Johan himself altered the flow of event from what he has originally planned to do. 

I wonder what Johan is planning.
Jun 5, 2023 2:57 AM
May 2017
My heart was beating fast in this one.
Jun 17, 2023 5:17 PM
Apr 2020
I mean come on, this was so ridiculously good
Sep 7, 2023 9:55 PM
Oct 2014
I usually never leave forum posts and I'm obviously 15 years late in the convo but I have to say it's wild how many of y'all are mad at Tenma for not pulling the trigger. He's not just a regular guy with a grudge; he's a world-class doctor who people have entrusted with their life and has been praised for his benevolence and talent. On top of all that, he's extremely principled and has strong morals about the worth of life, to the point where I could picture him saying that no one is a bad person, only that they do bad things. Whether you agree with him on that stance is another issue, but it's very in line with his character that he couldn't pull the trigger on Johan (and let's not forget that Johan literally made him the compassionate doctor everyone knows him to be because when he saved his life, he threw prestige and status away for what he believes his true purpose is -- to save lives). Killing someone is hard for any person -- for Tenma it's virtually impossible, and even moreso with Johan.
Oct 28, 2023 3:04 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I can say all curse words about that piece of shit Roberto and I still wouldn't be satisfied.
Nov 23, 2023 8:41 AM
May 2023
for a creepy book, the illustrations are good
Jan 1, 1:01 PM
Aug 2021
Ayy Roberto finally got it good
Feb 28, 4:59 AM

Dec 2022
The suspense was strong with this one heh.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.