Forum Settings
Forums

[Update May 24] Interest Stacks: New feature for custom theme lists and challenges

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
May 14, 2022 9:33 AM

Dec 2015
I think this is a great addition to MAL.

One question: Why do the pictures of some stacks appear to be blurred in the overview?
May 14, 2022 10:13 AM

May 2021
Estefan said:

One question: Why do the pictures of some stacks appear to be blurred in the overview?

Think that means these's spoilers ??
There's a spoiler option when you make a stack
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 14, 2022 10:37 AM

Dec 2015
DigiCat said:
Think that means these's spoilers ??
There's a spoiler option when you make a stack

Thank you. I did not even notice neither that option nor that it was checked when I created my first stack yesterday.
May 16, 2022 9:00 PM

Dec 2012
Hello. I just learned about Interest Stacks because I was on a page and randomly saw it. I am interested in making one, but MAL doesn't have an option to combine Anime and Manga in 1 Stack.

What I was trying to do: I want to make a "Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Kazuki Takahashi manga canon" stack. This would include the original Yugioh manga, Transcend Game manga, and The Dark Side of Dimensions anime movie because these were all made by Kazuki Takahashi and are canon only to his manga story.

The issue: It won't allow me to add The Dark Side of Dimensions because the category I selected is "Manga" and it only accepts manga. Adding a combined "Anime/Manga" option would fix my issue. Manga creators do make anime sequels/prequel to their manga, so this is something to take in consideration.

Also, I see that the stack allows at least 5 entries. Any chance to lower that to 3? If not, I assume I can just add 2 irrelevant Yugioh titles to fill the minimum requirement then give a detailed explanation in the description for users.
RobMay 16, 2022 9:04 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
May 21, 2022 5:39 AM

Jul 2013
Weird thing is I finished anime and manga from both stacks but I haven't received any of the badges :( It's been over two weeks now
May 24, 2022 4:59 AM

Feb 2020
🙏 thanks for mobile version
May 24, 2022 8:27 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Update: May 24
Mobile version is now live! Please let us know of any issues you may encounter.

Please note: Badges will be given out after the challenge deadline has passed.
May 25, 2022 5:16 AM
Mar 2022
So excited for this feature!!
May 25, 2022 5:37 AM
Jan 2021
GggGg
May 25, 2022 1:29 PM
Jun 2021
Smurf said:
tingy said:

They will be handed out later :)

Cool, thanks for the reply. Really cool way to guide people towards some new anime/manga.
I was wondering the same thing, because looks like some people already got it, but i couldnt find mine lol
May 25, 2022 3:03 PM
Apr 2022
Kineta said:
Update: May 24
Mobile version is now live! Please let us know of any issues you may encounter.

Please note: Badges will be given out after the challenge deadline has passed.

I don't have that update on my app :(
May 25, 2022 7:55 PM

Mar 2013
lol, I just recently found this because of the that app ad. This will be a very useful feature. I won't be getting tired of recommending a bunch of series ever again.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
May 26, 2022 9:48 AM

Sep 2019
This looks so fun! Is there any place to be updated about badge challenges like this in the future? I feel like I always catch them really late, or miss them entirely.

May 27, 2022 7:19 PM

Jul 2021
I completed my first challenge lol

Friends are nothing more than the people who you spend the fun, yet meaningless times with. When those times get rough, they aren’t there to support you.

My Mushoku Tensei Review
Jun 1, 2022 1:57 AM

Mar 2011
Is it - hypothetically - possible for us 'Normies' to create a Challenge (like completing a specific series) and/or the badge that comes with it?

Some help or advice would be appreciated. ^_^
Jun 1, 2022 5:28 AM

Aug 2021
At first I didn't understand it well. Now it is very interesting.
Jun 1, 2022 10:26 AM

Aug 2020
Now that the challenge is over, is it safe to remove the interest stacks, or do we lose the badge then?
I watched/read one of each for the challenge, but I'm not interested in both topics whatsoever so I'd rather not have them listed in my profile.
Jun 1, 2022 11:14 AM

Oct 2018
SleepySera said:
Now that the challenge is over, is it safe to remove the interest stacks, or do we lose the badge then?
I watched/read one of each for the challenge, but I'm not interested in both topics whatsoever so I'd rather not have them listed in my profile.

Same for me. I just removed them, I don't really think that they would remove the badge after giving them out.
CANDIES!:
Jun 1, 2022 2:04 PM

Apr 2020
SleepySera said:

This is what Kineta had said in the thread
"Since we need to manually give out the badge this time (the code for it being assigned automatically), you need to still have the challenge restacked at the end of the month when we give out the badge. After that, you're free to unstack them if you don't plan to read/watch the others in the list."
I have committed war crimes in Yugoslavia
Jun 1, 2022 2:08 PM

Nov 2020
there will be no more challenges? i was ready for the next one lol
Jun 1, 2022 2:15 PM

Aug 2020
positiv2 said:
SleepySera said:

This is what Kineta had said in the thread
"Since we need to manually give out the badge this time (the code for it being assigned automatically), you need to still have the challenge restacked at the end of the month when we give out the badge. After that, you're free to unstack them if you don't plan to read/watch the others in the list."

Thanks for the reply! 🙂
I got the badges, so time to remove them now.

I hope there will be more challenges in the future, this was a fun way to try something different for once :)
Jun 1, 2022 4:52 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Happosama said:
Is it - hypothetically - possible for us 'Normies' to create a Challenge (like completing a specific series) and/or the badge that comes with it?

Some help or advice would be appreciated. ^_^
You can give us suggestions so that we don't have to come up with it! We're currently planning Summer challenges :thinking:
Jun 1, 2022 11:33 PM

Apr 2014
For summer challenges...
maybe something like ocean-themed anime, or anime whose primary location is on the seaside, beach, or coastline.
For example, Amanchu!, High School Fleet, Kantai Collection, Shinryaku! Ika Musume, Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale, Houkago Teibou Nisshi.
AkeZZZJun 1, 2022 11:37 PM
何それ?意味分かんない
Jun 2, 2022 12:50 AM

Jul 2017
Hi, I would like to know what's the reasoning behind removing the "Challenge" tag from the challenge once it's finished.
I think it would made more sense to leave it, as that way we can check in the "Challenges" tab of our Restacks what challenges we have participated in and continue tracking them in case of wanting to complete it fully or something.
Making it a normal interest stack now basically makes the whole "Challenges" tab useless, seeing that at this rate it'll just be the bimonthly anime/manga challenge, and, in the time it takes you (the staff team) to launch the next challenge, it's just empty.

Jun 4, 2022 4:33 AM

Dec 2009
Give us more challenges to collect badges, please.
Jun 6, 2022 8:34 PM
May 2015
Phloup said:
This was one update I was really REALLY excited for! I'm so incredibly happy right now, and I can't wait to see how everyone will be using this new feature. Sending love to everyone who worked on this and made it possible <3 <3 <3

Same here! I already made some myself. Where are the images in your signature from?
Jun 7, 2022 7:00 PM

Jul 2013
Hi there! was kinda browsing this thread and I saw someone mentioning that the plan was to have one challenge each month (which I'm super excited about). We're still in the beginning of june, but no new stack challenges yet...

and since I found stack challenges completely by luck, just by browsing the site... is there a way for us to get a notification when a new one is released? or do we just check each month? any idea about when the new ones will be released?

thanks in advance!! :D

Jun 14, 2022 9:45 AM
Dec 2017
IMO it's very strange for challenges to be limited time only. Having a permanent length, but perhaps a higher amount of necessary titles read seems like a more sensible concept. No need to fuel the FOMO fires like it's some type of gacha game anyway
Jun 14, 2022 12:25 PM

Oct 2019
Why can't we combine Manga and Anime into one list? Cause some anime and manga fit the same theme but then what if the manga hasn't got an adaptation? Kinda missing this feature...
Jun 14, 2022 1:52 PM

Dec 2012
I have no idea how I missed it. Will events like this somehow be better announced, or do you always have to check every topic from Kineta? The topic title doesn't say anything about the fact that this was some new game. I thought this was just a post about an update I'd read... someday. I would ask for some better form of announcing such cool activities. I'm sure more people would love to join.
Jun 17, 2022 8:16 PM

Nov 2020
hi! why the challenge stack is removed from the challenge tag once its finished?
Jul 4, 2022 12:40 PM

Jul 2021
Hello I was wondering if I had to turn it in somewhere ? I read 1 of the gardener mangas before may 31st but havent recieved the badge :/
Jul 14, 2022 12:47 PM

Feb 2021
Thanks for this new very useful feature! It became very convenient with this new implementation!
Jul 24, 2022 4:46 PM

Jan 2017
when will the character interest stacks finally be releaaaseeed?? 😩😩😩 any release date?? i need to make hate character stacks 👹
Aug 2, 2022 8:40 AM

Feb 2021
How to change preview image of the stack? I saw somebody created topic with how to do it, but I can't find it.
Aug 2, 2022 8:58 AM

Jun 2021
Sotara said:
How to change preview image of the stack? I saw somebody created topic with how to do it, but I can't find it.

This thread Something about Interest Stacks that you might not know?

For the covers, you can change them by clicking 'Swap'. And as for the preview image, you have to reorder your stack. The first three entries will be included in the preview image.
Aug 2, 2022 9:07 AM

Feb 2021
IridescentJaune said:
Sotara said:

This thread Something about Interest Stacks that you might not know?

For the covers, you can change them by clicking 'Swap'. And as for the preview image, you have to reorder your stack. The first three entries will be included in the preview image.

Indeed, that was the topic! Thank you very much!!
Aug 2, 2022 12:29 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I'm not sure if this was already asked for or is planned, but since reviews will be getting an update to allow you to see who voted on them, could interest stacks likewise have the ability for you to see who restacked them?
Aug 4, 2022 4:45 AM

Jun 2021
According to the Interest Stack Guidelines, we should refrain from "including e-mail addresses and other URLs". I see some stacks with YouTube links. So is it alright to add YouTube links after all? Only links from official YouTube channels similar to when submitting CMs, PVs and trailers to the anime DB? How about Spotify links for stacks about anime music? Are those allowed?

I suppose Wikipedia, ANN and AniDB are allowed as sources or citation since most anime and manga pages on MAL have them. And some of MAL’s official stacks also cite Wikipedia as a primary source but no direct link to Wiki articles are included; I think it would be nice if those citations link to the Wiki article cited. But how about links to official reading sites like BOOK☆WALKER, ComicWalker, Crunchyroll, INKR, Renta!, futekiya, Lezhin, Azuki, Manga Club, MangaPlaza and so on? MAL has streaming links on the sidebar of anime pages but none for manga pages; AniList has streaming links available on both their anime and manga pages. Will interest stacks with such links be unlisted? I'm thinking of adding official links to reading order guides I plan on making but I'm not sure if such links will be allowed. It'd be nice if MAL also has streaming links on manga pages.

Anime-Planet’s ‘Custom Lists’ have a comment section. Is it possible for MAL’s ‘Interest Stacks’ to have one as well? Maybe it can be similar to how the comment section is like for mangaka and seiyuu. It’d also be nice to see who restacked your stack. You’d be able to find more stacks similar to your taste that way (of course, you’d have to check their user profile).

The sort feature (Recently Added, Author Update, Most Restacked, Alphabetical) is available on the 'Interest Stacks' tabs on anime and manga pages. How about adding that to the 'Interest Stacks' main page as well? Could the sort feature and 'My Interest Stacks' button available on users' interest stack pages be added on the ‘Interest Stacks’ main page as well? It'll make navigating interest stacks a lot easier if those features are carried over to the interest stacks main page. For example, a user wouldn't need to go back to their profiles to check their interest stacks page/restacks. Yes, there's a link to a user's interest stacks page found on the hamburger or menu button but having the 'My Interest Stacks' button beside the '+ New Interest Stack' button on the interest stacks main page just like on our profiles is much nicer. Also, I wish there are separate tabs for anime and manga stacks on the ‘Interest Stacks’ tab on our profiles similar to the ‘Interest Stacks’ main page. That would make finding and sorting stacks easier. I also want that feature for the ‘Recommendations’ tab (something like All, Anime, Manga). And a ‘Completed’ tab for stacks a user already completely watched/read would be an awesome addition.

I was also annoyed by the placement of the ‘Interest Stacks’ button on the ‘Community’ tab at first. I was used to seeing the ‘Forum’ button first. Now, I don’t mind it that much but having the ‘Forum’ button back on top would be good. But what’s still bugging me is the ‘My Interest Stacks’ page. The stacks and its contents are not clickable when making a draft. If I have to check something on a certain anime or manga page I’d have to open another tab and search for the anime or manga. So many steps. Please make the titles on drafts clickable so we don’t have to click ‘Go to Restacks’ again and be redirected to the ‘Interest Stacks’ tab on our profiles.

Please make the spoiler button applicable to all pages even when moving to the next page. Having to click it again and again is kinda annoying. I wish there’s also a search bar on the ‘Interest Stacks’ tab on our profiles so we could easily find something from the ones we already restacked. Or have a pin or sticky option for a stack (or two) a user would want to show on the very top of their stacks page.

Regarding badges for challenges on our profiles, they’re currently not clickable nor do they direct to the challenge pages. It'd be nice if badges direct to their specific challenge page/thread or interest stack and show labels when you hover over them. Maybe even include all challenge stacks on the ‘Challenges’ tab and just gray out the old ones, separate into ’New/Current Challenges’ and ‘Past/[Closed] Challenges’. Sometimes you just want to see which challenges you participated in. Right now, it only shows the current challenges. You’ll have to go to ‘MyAnimeList Stacks’ tab/button to search for past challenges (I know the total of challenges now is just 4 but those will be harder to find later on as there’ll be new challenges and more stacks made). Links to forum threads about the challenges by the MAL team should also be linked on a specific challenge stack page and a photo of its corresponding badge should be shown as well.

Oh, and tags please. Maybe even a ‘More’ feature for personal comments or ‘Notes’ similar to the one on ‘About Me’ so that users can add notes that they can only see for the stacks made by others that they restacked since there’s no way another user can edit or reorder a stack made by someone else to their liking.

I think the emoji reaction buttons implemented in the new review system is better suited to interest stacks. Maybe add a link to a user’s ‘Interest Stack’ page after someone restacks their stack similar to the ‘More reviews by [username]’ when liking a review.

Also, sometimes cover images have different dimensions. Hopefully, more cover images will get submitted and approved so we can swap to the cover we prefer for our stacks.

Some of the official stacks by MAL have more than 50 items. How about allowing users to add more than 50 items on their stacks too? Maybe offer that to MAL Supporters?

One more thing, the official threads by the MAL team regarding interest stacks should also be linked on the sidebar of the ‘Interest Stacks’ main page. So users wouldn’t have to search the forums or ask assistance from others via DMs. Threads get buried in the forums. And not everyone checks the ones with ’sticky’.

Anyhow, the “BBCode/Markup on descriptions” feature is something I’m looking forward to. The ‘Interest Stacks’ is by far my favorite update on the site.
Aug 20, 2022 11:46 AM

May 2021
Summer challenge complete 🐬
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Sep 17, 2022 8:39 PM

Jul 2021
Heya I finished 1 Manga in this Category in May but never received the badge?

The Manga I finished on 28th of May from this stack is
- Hana wo Meshimase
Oct 8, 2022 12:31 AM

Dec 2012
Rob said:
Hello. I just learned about Interest Stacks because I was on a page and randomly saw it. I am interested in making one, but MAL doesn't have an option to combine Anime and Manga in 1 Stack.

What I was trying to do: I want to make a "Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Kazuki Takahashi manga canon" stack. This would include the original Yugioh manga, Transcend Game manga, and The Dark Side of Dimensions anime movie because these were all made by Kazuki Takahashi and are canon only to his manga story.

The issue: It won't allow me to add The Dark Side of Dimensions because the category I selected is "Manga" and it only accepts manga. Adding a combined "Anime/Manga" option would fix my issue. Manga creators do make anime sequels/prequel to their manga, so this is something to take in consideration.

Also, I see that the stack allows at least 5 entries. Any chance to lower that to 3? If not, I assume I can just add 2 irrelevant Yugioh titles to fill the minimum requirement then give a detailed explanation in the description for users.

@Kineta Any update or interest in doing this?
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 31, 2022 11:58 AM

Jul 2017
Challenge stacks have gone from being a monthly thing (that was never monthly) to last three months (once) to not having any news about it for several months now.

Are there any plans at all regarding them?
Are they going to keep being something that happens every now and then whenever the staff in charge feels like it?
Are they going to be removed entirely? Given that the challenge stacks are removed automatically either way once the time is up :/
Or are we going to be able to make our own challenge stacks? (Of course with some restrictions that will be ignored like with the normal stacks)

This really needs a re-work or someone active setting them up, because as it is right now it's just a waste of functionalities and interface space.

Hopefully we'll get an update in 10 years when the next MAL overhaul happens and they'll finish the updates they have half-assedly been releasing, because to be honest I'm not even expecting a response to this, given that these updates (and its threads) have been forgotten as soon as there was a new feature.

It really is a shame that one of the best ideas MAL has ever had, the stacks, is going to be left like this. Challenges forgotten and everyone making their own Public stacks ignoring the guidelines.
Nov 3, 2022 2:43 AM

Mar 2011
Is the Stack System currently broken/corrupted or whatever? For some reason, I can't add new Stacks.

UPDATE: Ahem... Well, fugget about it. It's only that certain Buttons simply aren't visible right now. Or am I the only one experiencing this?
HapposamaNov 3, 2022 2:54 AM
Nov 8, 2022 9:30 AM
Fantasy lover

Aug 2017
Why can't you use unaired anime? There were several lists with mainly unaired anime with 100+ stacks so it definitely is something people want. Also why is the max number of entries 50? Thats just not enough for a lot of lists/challenges.

You should also be able to put links into them. At least other MAL and Youtube links. 
KeikenDec 21, 2022 8:43 PM
Nov 9, 2022 7:35 AM

Apr 2015
I really liked the interest stack challenges where have they gone </3
Dec 11, 2022 6:52 PM
Sep 2016
Can you add a comment section to stacks? That way people can recommend additional stories to add :)
Dec 11, 2022 6:57 PM

May 2021
SuperSnek said:
Can you add a comment section to stacks? That way people can recommend additional stories to add :)

Yes yes good idea :3
Dec 19, 2022 3:30 AM

May 2010
SuperSnek said:

Considering the fact they removed comments on People's pages because it was too difficult to moderate, I doubt they'll create one more section to have to moderate
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku
Dec 19, 2022 11:29 AM

Jun 2021
I know we can change the covers for each entry by clicking 'Swap' and reorder each entry for the preview image, the first three entries will be included in the preview image. But I wish there's an option to choose the preview image from all the entries included in a stack instead of just reordering them every time.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
7 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.