Forum Settings
Forums

[Update May 24] Interest Stacks: New feature for custom theme lists and challenges

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 10, 2022 5:06 PM

Aug 2015
Edimon2907 said:
Ekhan175 said:
I don't know if this has been asked/answered already so apologies for that!

Do we need to complete at least one anime from the School Club Showcase during April or do previously completed count?

I've already restacked the stack...I think lols.

For better or for worse those completed in the past do count and you'll get a medal in May

Thank you
Apr 10, 2022 5:13 PM

Jun 2014
Suggestion -- On the sorting feature for the interest stacks tab on Profiles -- it would be nice to be able to sort by progress % completion

Also, not sure if this is a bug or intended, but when searching through interest stacks, i toggle on "show spoilers" but every time I click next page, the spoilers are off again, and i have to flip it back on for every page.
m-i-c-h-a-e-lApr 10, 2022 5:25 PM
Apr 10, 2022 9:52 PM

Apr 2020
I'd really like the ability to comment on Interest Stacks. I already created a few and I'd like to know what people think about them or any suggestions they have without them having to DM me.

Also seems like the only search options are the latest stacks. So once your stack is a few hours old it gets buried and not easily discoverable.
Apr 11, 2022 12:02 AM

May 2009
Rubs hands together* Excellent
IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ODDTAXI OR SAIKI K I'LL BONK YOU IN THE HEAD

Apr 11, 2022 1:39 PM

Jun 2020
it would be real nice to add anime/manga to interest stacks from the anime/manga page or our list itself.
Apr 11, 2022 5:53 PM
Mar 2022
This is a nice update, and I might use it some time in the future.
Apr 11, 2022 7:56 PM

Mar 2021
Thanks for adding the new feature. I have created some interest stacks myself.
I'm so glad to see that some people have already taken up the challenge.

It's fun to see the interest stacks others have created, too.

Apr 11, 2022 10:38 PM

Oct 2018
Seems MAL is really outdated. Anime-planet and Anilist had this first but whatever. Thanks anyways.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Apr 12, 2022 12:49 AM

Jun 2012
I see that the badges are going to be added to people's profiles en masse next month, but didn't see an answer to this yet:

Will these challenge badges be visible on profiles of users who are not paying members?
Apr 12, 2022 6:57 AM

Sep 2014
Cool idea for a feature I have to say, seems like it will be a good way to find new shows since you can use interest stacks from people with a high affinity instead of recommendations which are more mass over class

I had a look at the feature and some questions:

(1)About the challenges, what dictates what gets added to a challenge? When I hear school clubs I think about Haruhi before Yuru Camp for example.

(2)Are you supposed to set an ongoing manga as completed for the sake of the challenge?

(3)Will the badges disappear if you opt out of an old challenge, or will you delete the stacks when new ones appear? I can already see the page getting filled up quickly between 2 monthly challenges and other interest stacks you follow. If I only need to read one manga for a badge Im probably not going to read all 20+ and the stack will forever sit on my page as ongoing.

I ask this because it leads me to the next question about interest stacks in general:

(4) Will we be able to edit our interest stack page, like pin some to the top or set an entire stack as "on hold"? If we follow multiple stacks its going to fill up soon.

Starslayer_ said:
I'd really like the ability to comment on Interest Stacks. I already created a few and I'd like to know what people think about them or any suggestions they have without them having to DM me.
I sure hope so too, its always annoying when you have an article you cant comment on and maybe that could change with these stacks.

Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Seems MAL is really outdated. Anime-planet and Anilist had this first but whatever. Thanks anyways.

What use is complaining about beeing outdated on a newly added feature? Shouldnt you be happy its getting "modernized"?
Comander-07Apr 12, 2022 7:23 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 12, 2022 7:26 AM

Oct 2018
Comander-07 said:
Cool idea for a feature I have to say, seems like it will be a good way to find new shows since you can use interest stacks from people with a high affinity instead of recommendations which are more mass over class

Starslayer_ said:
I sure hope so too, its always annoying when you have an article you cant comment on and maybe that could change with these stacks.

Natsuki_SanJuan said:

What use is complaining about beeing outdated on a newly added feature? Shouldnt you be happy its getting "modernized"?
Maybe mal mods could do the stacking feature before if they have time, right? MAL is a "big" AniManga database but why other sites had that feature before MAL? Just a question so no need to get angry or something.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Apr 12, 2022 7:29 AM

Sep 2014
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Comander-07 said:
Maybe mal mods could do the stacking feature before if they have time, right? MAL is a "big" AniManga database but why other sites had that feature before MAL? Just a question so no need to get angry or something.

I get you, it just seems like a "Too little too late" comment without any constructivity. MAL beeing simple is the reason why I like it, the more options and buttons and pages you get the more distracting it is.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 12, 2022 10:27 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
dgw said:
Will these challenge badges be visible on profiles of users who are not paying members?
Of course! We've been giving badges out for other events and MAL Supporter or not has no influence.

Comander-07 said:
(1)About the challenges, what dictates what gets added to a challenge? When I hear school clubs I think about Haruhi before Yuru Camp for example.
The goal of the School Club Showcase stack was to have an article-like stack which highlighted different clubs which could be in a real high school. It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list. We wanted challenges related to spring for the April feature launch.

(2)Are you supposed to set an ongoing manga as completed for the sake of the challenge?
No, you can set it to Reading and it will still count.

(3)Will the badges disappear if you opt out of an old challenge, or will you delete the stacks when new ones appear? I can already see the page getting filled up quickly between 2 monthly challenges and other interest stacks you follow. If I only need to read one manga for a badge Im probably not going to read all 20+ and the stack will forever sit on my page as ongoing.
Since we need to manually give out the badge this time (the code for it being assigned automatically), you need to still have the challenge restacked at the end of the month when we give out the badge. After that, you're free to unstack them if you don't plan to read/watch the others in the list.

The idea is that in the future we will have time-limited challenges (like this one) and unlimited challenges (like, say, watch all the Tokyo Anime Award anime) which will give badges. For this time, we just wanted a simple option to get everyone trying out the feature :3

Also, we don't plan to hold challenges monthly. The "April 2022" wording is just the time-length of the challenge this time. Right now, we're considering a summer challenge that would last for a longer time period (e.g. 2-3 months) and require a bit more effort. Nothing is decided yet, though.

(4) Will we be able to edit our interest stack page, like pin some to the top or set an entire stack as "on hold"? If we follow multiple stacks its going to fill up soon.
There are two additional tabs planned for this page (In Progress and Finished) and two additional sorts planned (List Progress, Mean Score). Pinning a stack to the top of your Interest Stacks list might also be nice. In general, I've also been considering a better way to highlight content on your profile page would be nice: for example, displaying 1-3 reviews you want visitors to check out, or 1-3 interest stacks, etc. (All optional, of course.) I've also been wondering if we will need a "won't watch/blacklist" option for this feature... to allow you to complete a stack containing 1 or 2 anime/manga which you hate.

Starslayer_ said:
Comments are a consideration (not finalized yet), as is the ability to recommend an item for the stack to the author (which would really help us with the official MAL stacks, too).

Truthfully, there are so many things which can be added to this feature and expanded, the main issue is prioritizing them rather than thinking up new ideas :'D Right now, our main focus is accessibility: adding stacks to mobile, getting them integrated with the anime/manga pages, getting the personalized recommendations going, etc. After that, we'll need to re-evaluate which features are highest priority for the next phase.
KinetaApr 12, 2022 10:33 AM
Apr 12, 2022 2:19 PM

Jun 2012
Kineta said:
dgw said:
Of course! We've been giving badges out for other events and MAL Supporter or not has no influence.

Guess I've missed them! Was wondering because at the moment, profile settings have an option to show profile badge that's disabled if you are not a subscriber:
Apr 12, 2022 2:29 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
dgw said:
Kineta said:

Guess I've missed them! Was wondering because at the moment, profile settings have an option to show profile badge that's disabled if you are not a subscriber
Ah sorry, it's confusing that it's using the same name. Your image means the little "MAL Supporter" icon and title that appears below the profile picture.

If you look at my profile, above the friends section on the left side, you'll see some little badges like in the stacks. This is what we mean :)
KinetaApr 12, 2022 2:32 PM
Apr 12, 2022 2:42 PM

Jun 2012
Kineta said:
dgw said:

Guess I've missed them! Was wondering because at the moment, profile settings have an option to show profile badge that's disabled if you are not a subscriber
Ah sorry, it's confusing that it's using the same name. Your image means the little "MAL Supporter" icon and title that appears below the profile picture.

If you look at my profile, above the friends section on the left side, you'll see some little badges like in the stacks. This is what we mean :)

Great, that'll be an easy fix whenever y'all revise the settings text/locale again. Maybe call that option "Supporter badge"? With the current name, I was trying to turn it on to see if I already had other badges, haha.
Apr 12, 2022 5:43 PM

Dec 2019
A quick suggestion: I think an edit button on the stack itself for the creator of the stack would be helpful. At the moment, I have to go "My Interest Stacks" to edit a stack.
Apr 12, 2022 6:00 PM

Oct 2019
still figuring it out, but seems like a cool idea; can't wait for the character stacks to be added
Apr 12, 2022 6:36 PM

Sep 2017
Not sure if there's a better place to put this but guys, please be kind when it comes to these. I know that making top 10 lists public instead of unlisted is against the guidelines but it's really disheartening hearing from friends that they got profile comments calling them a dumbass for forgetting to click the option. This is from friends who rarely use the site, and it's just gonna push people away. This feature is still really new (I literally didn't even notice it til yesterday bc i primarily use mobile) so please give people some space to learn
Apr 13, 2022 9:52 AM

Oct 2020
Is there a way to edit your own already published stacks or are they locked as is when published?
Chober
Apr 13, 2022 11:43 AM

Nov 2016
Will it ever be possible to create a list with more than 50+ entries? I was thinking of making one but it wouldn't fit all the titles I'd like to include in it. I know others already asked about it ITT but the question seems to have been left unanswered.
Apr 13, 2022 11:39 PM

Aug 2019
Hello, I would love for you to answer any questions:
1) do you have entry limits (either anime or manga)?
2) Can you make people (Seiyuus and actors/actresses) and characters (anime and manga)?

This is new for me since I usually make a personalized list on another page (it is not allowed to name them) but they are called Anime-planet, here it allows you to create personalized lists for the moment there are no limitations, thanks!
Apr 14, 2022 11:11 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
fluffycow17 said:
A quick suggestion: I think an edit button on the stack itself for the creator of the stack would be helpful. At the moment, I have to go "My Interest Stacks" to edit a stack.
Thank you! This is in our fix list~

redvelvetdoll said:
Not sure if there's a better place to put this but guys, please be kind when it comes to these. I know that making top 10 lists public instead of unlisted is against the guidelines but it's really disheartening hearing from friends that they got profile comments calling them a dumbass for forgetting to click the option. This is from friends who rarely use the site, and it's just gonna push people away. This feature is still really new (I literally didn't even notice it til yesterday bc i primarily use mobile) so please give people some space to learn
I'm sad to hear that's happening. The logic should be updated in the future so that new ones don't immediately appear on the top, but that there is a delay. This should hopefully help this from occurring in the future :( For now, we're trying to moderate them as quickly as possible.

budrking354 said:
Is there a way to edit your own already published stacks or are they locked as is when published?
Go to your Interest Stack page on your profile. Click "My Interest Stacks". Alternatively, in the account dropdown with your profile picture on the top right, click Interest Stacks.

Uksi said:
Will it ever be possible to create a list with more than 50+ entries?
Undecided at this moment.

@EnderVsqz626 Characters will be coming in a future phase. People are still undecided at this moment.
Apr 16, 2022 1:47 AM
Feb 2022
This is great & Interesting Updates. thx :)
Apr 16, 2022 3:33 PM

Aug 2019
Hi @Kineta Today my first Interest Stacks is created, but I am a little disappointed since it has a limit of 50 Characters.

I see that limit very short, since I want to create one for the Challenges that I have done (of course I have not been in this world of Challenges for a long time) but in the same way I wanted to create one of 58 animes and I am disappointed that they only allow 50. Do you think that limit goes up?
Apr 16, 2022 4:52 PM

Jun 2012
EnderVsqz626 said:
[…] I am disappointed that they only allow 50. Do you think that limit goes up?

Narrator: A few days earlier…

Kineta said:
Uksi said:
Will it ever be possible to create a list with more than 50+ entries?
Undecided at this moment.
Apr 17, 2022 7:33 AM

Jul 2011
Looks like a lot of people are making public stacks without reading the guidelines.
As it is right now it will require a lot of moderation.
Apr 17, 2022 12:57 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh wow just realized you only need one entry completed to get the badge. Thanks for creating this, its a nice addition. If only easter egg one also got this pity idea too for the badge requirement, i can't be this dilemma xd
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 18, 2022 5:10 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
how many stacks is the limit btw? and what do I do to add the mal ones to my own?
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Apr 18, 2022 5:39 AM

Jun 2017
HiroM_ said:
One issue however at this point is that finding interesting lists is basically impossible unless you randomly encounter one on somebody's profile or by searching for specific words. Maybe being able to add predefined tags to your "stack" to make browsing easier would help.
having an option to deactivate a stack showing your scores when you make it
adding a view counter the author can see
adding a comment box

Basically what I wanted to say plus maybe see which users restacked a stack and restacking something for yourself that wouldn't be visible for other users
Apr 18, 2022 8:56 PM

Jul 2021
Oh wow! you only need one entry to completed the challenge and get the badge, Also This was the one update I was REALLY excited for!!! A cool feature that I'll use and going to have a lot of fun with it, thanks MAL Team! <3
Apr 19, 2022 2:18 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
I'm sure the answer is probably obvious and I'm just being my usual not-very-forum-savvy self, but...
What does "restacking" actually do? You click the restack button next to the ellipses and something happens, I'm sure. That much I think I understand, but... Is there a benefit or purpose to restacking, other than for the challenges with the badges?
My greatest contribution to this website:
Apr 19, 2022 2:27 PM

Jun 2012
Kii_Ibarra said:
I'm sure the answer is probably obvious and I'm just being my usual not-very-forum-savvy self, but...
What does "restacking" actually do? You click the restack button next to the ellipses and something happens, I'm sure. That much I think I understand, but... Is there a benefit or purpose to restacking, other than for the challenges with the badges?

Clicking the "restack" button adds that Interest Stack to your profile's "Interest Stacks" section. Mine has tabs for "All", "Challenges", and "Created".

If a Stack is part of a challenge, obviously it appears in that tab. Otherwise it looks like restacked Stacks only show up under "All" (unless I haven't waited long enough for some cache to expire).
Apr 19, 2022 3:04 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
dgw said:
Clicking the "restack" button adds that Interest Stack to your profile's "Interest Stacks" section. Mine has tabs for "All", "Challenges", and "Created".

If a Stack is part of a challenge, obviously it appears in that tab. Otherwise it looks like restacked Stacks only show up under "All" (unless I haven't waited long enough for some cache to expire).
Ah, I think I see, sorta. Perhaps I'll figure it out more when I try it, then!

Thanks so much for the explanation! :)
My greatest contribution to this website:
Apr 19, 2022 11:14 PM

Apr 2021
Hi, just a quick question. My anime watchlist is currently set as private, is that okay or will it interfere with me getting the badge?
Apr 20, 2022 8:59 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
How do I find insteresting ones? I looked through a bunch of pages but didn't find anything interesting.
Apr 21, 2022 1:05 AM

Mar 2011
So how can I add/create/edit a Stack (Absolute Beginner at this)?

For the Beginning, "Genius Girls", "CGDCT"*, "Uniforms/Military Otakus" etc. would be among the things I'd like to see…

*=Cute Girls Doing Cute (or cool!) Things

UPDATE: I guess I'm already doing it right so far… ;-)
HapposamaApr 21, 2022 3:53 AM
Apr 21, 2022 7:42 AM

Dec 2013
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/8

I have already watched one, but it will only count 1 after I restocked? The only exception is when you have already seen all?

So if I forget to restock, watch something first then restock, I will be still in need of 1 new anime?

@Kineta
Apr 21, 2022 2:47 PM

May 2014
Great update lads, but I think watashi submitted this idea some time ago: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1847245&show=0#post1
Apr 21, 2022 3:47 PM
Jul 2021
wow this is a great thing, nice to see Okabe shoot up the top 10

also did not think Ichigo would have that many bot favorites lmao
Apr 25, 2022 10:25 PM

Apr 2018
@Kineta
Have you ever thought about adding this feature "Sort episodes (in eps discussion thread) according to their average rating" ?
Apr 26, 2022 4:41 PM

Mar 2010
Edimon2907 said:
Ekhan175 said:
I don't know if this has been asked/answered already so apologies for that!

Do we need to complete at least one anime from the School Club Showcase during April or do previously completed count?

I've already restacked the stack...I think lols.

For better or for worse those completed in the past do count and you'll get a medal in May

BUT
if i complete anime that I have on 'on hold' list, do i still get the badge?
Feel free to join the Bocchi the Rock! club!
Apr 27, 2022 11:50 AM

Jul 2019
Apr 27, 2022 3:57 PM

Dec 2019
it says challenge your friends, is there a specific way to label a stack as a challenge and set a time limit cause I can't find that option

"That's why, at this very moment, in the interval of a second,
I wish to cross the world lines and protect your smile.
Then, once again into a time loop devoid of misery,
I will be swallowed as a lonely observer."

Apr 28, 2022 2:57 PM

Jun 2010
OMG. I just saw that this functionality exists. This is awesome. I'll pick a manga now.
Apr 28, 2022 7:55 PM

Sep 2017
Glad it got extended, I wanted some more time to watch a couple of the club animes' first episodes. Do you think MAL would be able to calculate like, which anime/manga most people chose to complete to get the badge?
Apr 29, 2022 6:21 AM

Dec 2019
A weird flaw I found is that if you go to an anime's interest stack page and sort by "Recently Added", it sorts from oldest to newest rather than newest to oldest.
May 4, 2022 12:22 PM

Nov 2019
Saw some stuff about the stacks just recently! Neat!

And for the badge... 24 for animes to go, 24 days for soo....
Anime a day, keeps the doctor away? Right? Right guys!?
─── ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ───

"No matter how devastated you may be by your own weaknesses or uselessness...
Set your heart ablaze. Grit your teeth and look straight ahead.
Even if you stop and crouch down, the time won't wait for you...
or snuggle you, or grieve along with you."

May 4, 2022 7:18 PM

Jul 2017
Fox-Paw said:

Pretty sure you only need to watch 1 for the badge, unless I'm blind lol.
May 4, 2022 11:35 PM

Nov 2019
OmarAlsoBilly said:
Fox-Paw said:

Pretty sure you only need to watch 1 for the badge, unless I'm blind lol.

Now that you mention it, yeah. You're right ^.^

"No matter how devastated you may be by your own weaknesses or uselessness...
Set your heart ablaze. Grit your teeth and look straight ahead.
Even if you stop and crouch down, the time won't wait for you...
or snuggle you, or grieve along with you."

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

214 by Veredus »»
Yesterday, 9:51 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by Jeniferu4edy »»
Yesterday, 12:58 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.