Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 7, 2022 1:15 AM

Jun 2017
I've only seen Link Click but I enjoyed it so I think i'm going to be giving some other Chinese titles a chance in the near future
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Mar 7, 2022 1:34 AM

Oct 2012
I missed this.

ColourWheel said:
Since most western nations don't even trade with China anymore, it's incredibly difficult to get your hands on merch or any DVD/Bluray of any "Donghua" outside of Asia.
Fun fact. There is no merch. It's released online, period. There are no blu-rays. Despite the wild success of anime such as Mo Dao Zu Shi, the only place to buy a Blu-ray of it is ironically the Japanese dub.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 2:48 AM
May 2009
ryo-san said:
What are your thoughts on Chinese anime?

Do you think they're worth watching? Which ones would be a good starter?

How is Chinese voice acting ?

Is it different from japanese anime?

(Don't go into politics and let political bias influence your views.... just keep it anime)

The simple answer is yes, they are worth watching. If anything its interesting to see how the Chinese animation industry recovered from its cultural revolution, from being on the same standard as Japanese animation to falling behind, to having to play catch up and learn new techniques from being outsourced work from Japan and the west.

I would recommend starting with something like Nezha for 3D or White snake. Even the new movie I am What I am.

For 2D, I would recommend The Legend of Xiao Hei. Easy to get into animation is amazing, a few flaws in the CGi but overall great. Other 2D's series wise Kings Avatar, interesting to see how budget and change in studio affects the series. Mo Dao Zu Shi is good.

For dubbing, I enjoy it. Just for your knowledge, depending on the work, the dubbing has the commonly used national mandarin. But some works bases in different areas of China tend to have local dialects as well. An example would be Hitori no Shita season 1 where you get to experience Mandarin and Cantonese. In other works it would be the local dialect of the region they are in like in Link Click you here the Sichuan dialect.

Some of the works are dubbed in Japanese now, like Mo Dao Zu Shi.

In terms of how different it is from Japan, it would depend. But overall its different enough. Works Like Link Click are set in China so you won't see familiar Japanese site, Like the Tori gates for shrines, you also see a different fashion and every day dress.

Mo Dao Zu Shi for example you will see traditional Chinese robes and martial art clan robes that are unique compared to the Japanese Kimono and Hakama.

Music wise its widely varied. for example Hitori no Shita's opening was a mix of Folk music than goes into a hard rock. Japanese opening was typical shonen style music.

The focus is also varied. For a Harem, alot of the times a harem is formed and action takes place, so its not the usual harem where the MC gets no action and is indecisive, Instead you get a MC that takes action.

The other is Martial arts genre on Cultivation and road to immortality is a world of its own.

Psychic princess has a very strong female character as its main.

China also has its own slice of life animation, one is called Gods trouble me. Which focuses on Deities and demons living with a modern OL. And basically watching the antics of modern life.

Suprisingly I also found the Chinese versions to be less censored than the Japanese dubs. Hitori no Shita for example serious cut alot of content from episode 11 or 12. The Chinese episode was more violent and also had 8 mins more run time.

The difference in run time is another thing.
Chinese animations depending if they are airred online or tv, don't follow the usual 15-25 mins episodes standard. Instead it can range from 5-40 mins or more.
Mar 7, 2022 2:57 AM

Feb 2014
No such thing. They're Chinese cartoons. All those Chinese cartoons your mom said you keep watching, are actually these. Chinese anime is an oxymoron.
Mar 7, 2022 3:10 AM
May 2009
Would also like to add. That Dong Hua is also referred to as Guoman, basically national animation for works that are made in China.

In relations to culture. I would say that China is developing their own internal subculture for Donghua, and with the success of Genshin Impact and Honkai, we are seeing a trend of Chinese works starting to affect perceptions.

We are getting figures made of Chinese characters like anime characters, alot of merch is being produced whether official or unoffcially.

The difference would be the sale of BD/DVD's

Due to alot being streamed and availible for free online like Bilibili and even Youtube from the Bilibili official channel, there is no need to buy, and there is no sale, so money is made through advertising, royalities and other means, which also means that the works created probably don't have the same level of constraint as Japanese animation.

There are also alot of Indie producers. the Legend of Xiao Hei is produced by a barebones team and the characters are all voiced in house.

Similar to how Chinese games are majority indie in reality, despite how good they may look alot of them are small productions with some obvious exceptions like Mihoyo.

It also could be because they are produced independently they are less restricted on schedules and episode quanitiy.

One of the most interesting looking animation styles is Fog on Five hills, which has amazing action animation, but a beautiful asthetic feel.

The other difference is the making of, Chinese animations tend to enjoy adding behind the scenes in their end credits.

They also don't shy away from paying homage to their inspirations.

I am what I am, pays homage to Stephen Chow and Hong Kong action of the 70-90's.
Legend of Xiao Hei pays hoamge to Ghibli, Nintendo and others.
Raksha street pays homage to Dragon Ball and other shonens.
Mar 7, 2022 3:48 AM

Jul 2021
@katsucats @ColourWheel
With each reply I kept swaying. I non-ironically loved your exchange.
Mar 7, 2022 3:58 AM
May 2009
Also Chinese animators have also been contributing to some great fight choreograhpy to Japanese anime. Chengxi Huang contributed to some of naruto's great fight scenes.

Here is a Japanese documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7siJgRzFusA. on Chengxi
And here is a Chinese one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxlRJjAoC4g

Both focus on different things.

I hope to see some collaborations with Japanese animators and Chinese animators, on some of Japan's Martial Art classics, would be interesting to see more dynamic martial movements.

Honestly there is so much potential for collaboration projects.
Mar 7, 2022 5:42 AM
Feb 2014
I have not watched any yet, but i am interested in a few of them.

I have absolutely no interest in the fully CGI ones though, as they look realistic and vastly different from anime!

I also am not really interested in most of them as unlike with anime, there is no readily available information about the source material, and i don't want to start watching it, for example, only to realize midway through the series, that it's actually a BL/Shounen-Ai/Yaoi and having to drop it!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 7, 2022 6:06 AM
May 2009
Dauphine said:
i don't want to start watching it, for example, only to realize midway through the series, that it's actually a BL/Shounen-Ai/Yaoi and having to drop it!

That won't be much of an issue. As its Illegal to display homosexuality.
So all BL works are adapted in away to display that relationship in a very toned down way, Rather than seeing two guys make out, you might just get alot of tension.
Or they will just change the sex of one of the characters.
Mar 7, 2022 6:18 AM

Sep 2020
I have only watched the following; Mo Dao Zu Shi, Shi Yi Chang An, Tian Guan Ci Fu, and Tong Ling Fei.

I absolutely adore them, mainly Mo Dao Zu Shi, and Wei Wuxian is one of my favourite characters. I love the language so much. The voice acting is great and the animation is so damn good.

Shi Yi Chang An (Memory of Chang An) is so damn precious if you like romance, it is so simple yet much better than most Japanese romance and the last scene is one of the most heartbreaking scenes ever. It is really an underrated show and the music is outstanding. If anyone wants to check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPsNNdIDIx8&t=2s

If anyone can recommend more great Chinese anime, I am looking forward to it.
JellybeanxMar 7, 2022 6:29 AM
Mar 7, 2022 6:22 AM

Sep 2014
no such thing, i dont have thoughts about them
Mar 7, 2022 6:28 AM

Nov 2019
shintai88 said:
Dauphine said:
i don't want to start watching it, for example, only to realize midway through the series, that it's actually a BL/Shounen-Ai/Yaoi and having to drop it!

So all BL works are adapted in away to display that relationship in a very toned down way, Rather than seeing two guys make out, you might just get alot of tension.

That won't be much of an issue. As its Illegal to display homosexuality.[/quote]
Oh okay, so basically not much different from the Japanese animation industry..
Mar 7, 2022 6:28 AM

Oct 2013
I dropped Quanzhi Gaoshou and Tian Guan Ci Fu after an episode. The former didn't interest me and the latter, while interesting, irritated me with the constant comic relief. I plan on checking out others.

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
Mar 7, 2022 6:58 AM

May 2015
I have no interest in watching any Chinese cartoons
Mar 7, 2022 7:03 AM
May 2009
this_shit_again said:
shintai88 said:

Oh okay, so basically not much different from the Japanese animation industry..[/quote]

No Japanese animation can be quite Homo, You can find Yaoi animations, with sex and kiss scenes. Including the infamous Boku x pico series.
Mar 7, 2022 7:12 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
I've only watched two Chinese Animes.
Link Click is so good and I do recommend that anime.
Mar 7, 2022 7:47 AM
Jul 2018
What are your thoughts on Chinese anime?
>*Donghua, pretty good I would say some of their plots are superior.

Do you think they're worth watching? Which ones would be a good starter?
>Yes, unless you are trying to be a dick and want to compare them with the Japanese ones. Link click is the best as a starter pack IMO.

How is Chinese voice acting?
>It takes time to get used to it, happens for every single foreign language tho.

Is it different from Japanese anime?
>Yes. Little to no fan service, tend to be more narratives and better developed MC compared with regular isekai MC out there in anime.
Mar 7, 2022 7:54 AM

Feb 2022
Lucifrost said:
I haven't really been paying attention to any, but I love Big Fish & Begonia. It's a Ghibli movie better than the ones Ghibli makes.
I really like Big Fish & Begonia too but I'm not satisfied with the ending.
Mar 7, 2022 8:07 AM

Oct 2015
Very based. Something down-to-earth like Link Click would be good though. And also BL please. There's an untapped market in here China, hear me out!
Mar 7, 2022 9:42 AM

Nov 2019
shintai88 said:
this_shit_again said:

No Japanese animation can be quite Homo, You can find Yaoi animations, with sex and kiss scenes.

Oh you mean the body of works they keep away from mainstream audiences.. Where they other them into a seperate category and portray them predominantly as hypersexual, as harassers/assaulters or as incestuous/pedophilic predators.. The one that's filled with sexually graphic portrayals of pre-pubescant boys..

No, I don't think alot of gay viewers consider that 'displaying homosexuality'..

shintai88 said:
Including the infamous Boku x pico series.

Thanks for proving my point..
Mar 7, 2022 10:01 AM

Mar 2021
Ching cheng hanji can't touch me at all
Super idol de xiao rong 🥵🥵🥵
Xee hua piao
Bing chilling 🥶🥶🥶

The only "chinese" anime to ever exist is Kingdom (whose manga is a masterpiece) all else are frauds
Mar 7, 2022 10:07 AM
May 2009
this_shit_again said:
shintai88 said:

No Japanese animation can be quite Homo, You can find Yaoi animations, with sex and kiss scenes.

Oh you mean the body of works they keep away from mainstream audiences.. Where they other them into a seperate category and portray them predominantly as hypersexual, as harassers/assaulters or as incestuous/pedophilic predators.. The one that's filled with sexually graphic portrayals of pre-pubescant boys..

No, I don't think alot of gay viewers consider that 'displaying homosexuality'..

shintai88 said:
Including the infamous Boku x pico series.

Why would gay works be mainstream, when gays don't make up the majority of people?
The point I was making is that its illegal for Chinese visual media to display homosexuality, where as in Japan they give two shits about it as long as you don't expose genitals.
There are BL works that don't have sex or any of that adult stuff in it aswell.
Mar 7, 2022 11:03 AM

Nov 2019
shintai88 said:
this_shit_again said:

Why would gay works be mainstream, when gays don't make up the majority of people?

Why would people with a particular identity have to make up the majority to be able to be portrayed in a mainstream work..? By that logic you couldn't portray people with a certain ethnic background, religion, age, occupation, disability or chronic illness for example because they don't make up the majority..

shintai88 said:
The point I was making is that its illegal for Chinese visual media to display homosexuality,

Is it, though? Doesn't seem to be stopping manhuajia from making these works.. And streaming services from adapting them..

shintai88 said:
where as in Japan they give two shits about it as long as you don't expose genitals.

I don't think that's true, otherwise they wouldn't be hiding it in mainstream works..

shintai88 said:
There are BL works that don't have sex or any of that adult stuff in it aswell.

And they can still..

this_shit_again said:
portray them predominantly as hypersexual, as harassers/assaulters or as incestuous/pedophilic predators..

Explicit intercourse scenes are not a requirement for that..
Mar 7, 2022 11:12 AM

Jan 2020
I've watched barely any donghua to judge them at all. To be honest, I just want to watch Japanese stuff most of the time.
Mar 7, 2022 11:21 AM

Dec 2019
japan good everything else bad! >:(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2022 11:43 AM

Oct 2012
this_shit_again said:
shintai88 said:

I'm not going to be baited into an argument since it seems like that's what you're trying to do. I'll just say that from what I've seen, Chinese BL are not so much overtly physical or even subtly physical as it is in yaoi. Japanese yaoi would have masculine figures or femboys pressed up against each other as if they were about to kiss, but then just have some innuendo-filled conversation. The hinting in Chinese BL is of a complete different character. Instead, it goes on in the conversations, the mutual understanding, joking about things that people typically don't do unless they were really close buddies or something, going out of their way to stand up for each other. I can count maybe a couple times I've seen physical contact made as a sexual advance, and only at a key moment. For example, I can recall only one overtly "gay" moment in Mo Dao Zu Shi when one of the characters got drunk near the very end of the show, and in Thousand Autumns, there was only one moment where the false villain, who's a devious and unconventional character to begin with, hints that the protagonist is attractive or something along the lines. It could have been taken as a dark joke or a gay advance, it was up to interpretation.

You could draw a parallel with the styles of shounen fanservice. In Japanese fanservice, characters fall and grab onto a girl's breasts. In Chinese fanservice, male characters break the fall of female characters by catching them for a moment. It's supposed to be chivalrous, a bit creepy if you ask me, but never sexual.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 1:01 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
I missed this.

ColourWheel said:
Since most western nations don't even trade with China anymore, it's incredibly difficult to get your hands on merch or any DVD/Bluray of any "Donghua" outside of Asia.
Fun fact. There is no merch. It's released online, period. There are no blu-rays. Despite the wild success of anime such as Mo Dao Zu Shi, the only place to buy a Blu-ray of it is ironically the Japanese dub.

This is one of the reason why Chinese "Donghua" isn't ever going to be growing anytime soon.

No one is going to be looking for merch online for any "Donghua" unless they were purposely looking for it to begin with. I am sure I don't need to explain how search algorithm work on the internet but the way users use the internet is ultimately tailored to their habits and behavior.

It's just not the same thing as going into a physical store and suddenly seeing something that catches your interest. Back before Anime started streaming the only way to ever get into a new franchise was to take the chance and to just buy something new on DVD or VHS to check out.

I can't tell you how much junk and figurines I have ended up buying at a physical store in the past just because I saw something that looked cool being displayed.

Merch is a huge part of the of the Japanese Anime Culture that I have been trying to stress to you about. It ultimately effects the behavior of the fans and the things people end up being exposed to even on the internet.

As examples I have never seen memes being made using Chinese "Donghua". We don't ever hear about discussions online even in this community of users having petty arguments over "Donghua" waifus. There isn't even organic pseudo debates being discussed over which "Donghua's" are trash and which aren't. I have never once seen any fans making Chinese "Donghua" into a doujinshi to be sold at a doujin convention. You don't see people cosplaying as Chinese "Donghua" characters. Chinese "Donghua" don't even have anything like "fumos". No one in the west goes around wearing "Donghua" swag nor does it probably even exist.

Even if ultimately a lot of this behavior is specifically related to just Japanese Anime, and to a degree some being toxic behavior, it's still a part of the culture that surrounds Japanese Anime.

Even so I doubt the Chinese Government would even allow Chinese "Donghua" being made into doujinshi in China. They would probably do a crack down and even to an extreme make these people disappear. Let alone even let the Chinese people actually have an open forum to criticize their own domestic IP within their own country.

This is why I have been arguing that Chinese "Donghua" has absolutely no cultural identity to be celebrated. It just simply exists living in the shadow of Japanese anime. Which is why it's never going to go anywhere then where it stands today. Especially since the only way to get physical copies of "Donghua" is only with Japanese Dubs. The only Chinese "Donghua" that is even remotely popular in the West is those that are specifically trying to imitate the likeness of Japanese Anime and specifically produced just to do that. It's just simply viewed by me a cheap knock off of Japanese Anime.

Japanese Anime was never rushed or forced into our lives. The cultural identity that surrounds it was built organically over decades. Chinese "Donghua" seems more like it's trying to simply be pushed at Anime fans expecting them to accept it as if it's just Japanese Anime.
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 1:50 PM
Mar 7, 2022 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
I really like them overall, but their cultivation themes get repetitive fast. Some donghua with cultivation are much better, others are quite generic and seem to be made without passion and they seem to be way too long. I dropped some of them so far.
When I've watched and read Mo Dao Zu Shi first,the premise was so new to me, but it became tiring fast.

I wish there was just more diversity in themes in donghua series, although it seems to become more diverse lately. Really liked Link Click for example, which got a different premise than cultivation and clans.

Although I really liked some others as well so far and I also often like their "anime style" as much as their CGI. Donghua like Fanren-too long name ... got top tier CGI animation.
Also the White Snake movie is incredibly beautiful and the art style reminded me of Disney-Pixar a bit.

The sound of the Chinese language really grew on me as well.
Mar 7, 2022 1:54 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
I missed this.

This is one of the reason why Chinese "Donghua" isn't ever going to be growing anytime soon.

No one is going to be looking for merch online for any "Donghua" unless they were purposely looking for it to begin with. I am sure I don't need to explain how search algorithm work on the internet but the way users use the internet is ultimately tailored to their habits and behavior.
I'm here to watch and recommend quality toons. I frankly couldn't care less about whether it's accepted into the mainstream and I'll let Bilibili and Tencent worry about their marketing strategy. If you're opining on why you think this might hold back the success of Chinese anime, then I guess that's your perspective. I think the vast majority of anime fans never go into an anime merch store. Living around Los Angeles, I have the privilege of seeing them here and there, but I bet most towns don't even have them. I have no interest in doujinshis either, although I can't even begin to understand why you'd think the Chinese government cares about people publishing their own works or spin-offs, as if the Chinese are huge sticklers on copyright law (lol). Most of the source novels Chinese anime are based off of are independent works.

ColourWheel said:
This is why I have been arguing that Chinese "Donghua" has absolutely no cultural identity to be celebrated. It just simply exists living in the shadow of Japanese anime. Which is why it's never going to go anywhere then where it stands today.
That's like saying the Korean or Punjabi film industry live in the shadow of Hollywood, or even that Japanimation lives under Disney. I think that's just ginning up the old stereotype that Chinese industries are all copycats, which haven't been true for a decade.

It has plenty of cultural identity. In fact, I dare say if we're going historical, the Japanese shounen formula ripped off the Chinese wuxia, and the Dragon Ball franchise largely ripped off the Chinese classic Journey to the West. I bet no anime purist even knows that Son Goku are the Japanese words for Sun Wukong.

ColourWheel said:
Japanese Anime was never rushed or forced into our lives. The cultural identity that surrounds it was built organically over decades. Chinese "Donghua" seems more like it's trying to simply be pushed at Anime fans expecting them to accept it as if it's just Japanese Anime.
Chinese anime is a side note to most anime fans. It just happens that the Japanese anime industry was established first, so there are plenty of sites that track Japanese anime like this one, and the Chinese anime industry is far too small for people to develop comparable sites. It also happens that a significant enough minority of Japanese anime fans are open minded enough to try Chinese and Korean anime that the MAL moderators have decided to include that in their definition because MAL is a business.

I don't see who's forcing or "pushing" you to accept. You're welcome to never watch any Chinese produced works ever, whether because you preemptively think they're not up to par or you have some kind of socio-political anti-Chinese bias. I wouldn't care. OP asked for recommendations, so we're discussing Chinese anime in this thread.

If we were discussing Marvel movies and someone comes around to recommend a non-Marvel movie in similar vein, then we thank them for that recommendation. Those who aren't interested simply move along. Most of us are just here for exposure to quality cartoons and don't have some kind of unique obsession with them coming from Japan, unless their the type of fanboys that go to Comic-Con every year just to argue about Marvel vs DC or Star Wars vs Star Trek, as if the mere mention of the "other" is blasphemy.

Most anime fans, I'd posit, like anime that happens to be made by the Japanese; they don't like anime because it's Japanese.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 2:14 PM

Oct 2012
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
I really like them overall, but their cultivation themes get repetitive fast. Some donghua with cultivation are much better, others are quite generic and seem to be made without passion and they seem to be way too long. I dropped some of them so far.
I agree with this. The vast majority of Chinese anime are really repetitive and generic. Some of them have decent arch plots, as if the authors wrote down what happens in the novel, and amateur script writers filled in the character interactions with cliches (which is what I bet happened). But the good ones are good.

One of the common criticisms to xianxia (cultivation) is that they have too much terminology, or are too different and hard to understand. Part of it is probably the bad fan translations that are floating around out there. But I don't really get this line of thinking. Probably most of the cultivation terminology is directly portable from (insert your shounen here), whether it's nen from HxH, or ki from DBZ. In fact, nen or nian4 in Chinese just means "desire" or "sense" and have been used in a couple cultivation shows I've seen; and ki or qi4 in Chinese just means "breath". Chakra is a Hindu export.

They're all used in the same way. When Goku focuses his energy under his feet to fly, or Rock Lee opens up his Eight Gates to allow freer flow of chakra, these things are exactly the same as what cultivators do. The whole cultivation goal is to open up these gates (but more permanently instead of a short-term power up).

I think the only part of cultivation that should be unique is the alchemy aspect, where they absorb different kinds of energy from medicinal herbs and animal parts to make medicine/pills. But if you've played any JRPGs recently, there's that too.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 2:33 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
I think the vast majority of anime fans never go into an anime merch store.

If this was the case Akihabara shopping district in Japan would have been shut down decades ago.

katsucats said:
In fact, I dare say if we're going historical, the Japanese shounen formula ripped off the Chinese wuxia, and the Dragon Ball franchise largely ripped off the Chinese classic Journey to the West.

The thing is no one cares who did what 1st the fact is China never tried to make "Wuxia" a thing like what Japan has done with the "Dragon Ball".

When I was in college I did the the 1st research paper into the practicality of an actual Ion engine. Back then the an Ion engine was nothing more than science fiction. A few years later the 1st real Ion engine was completed and launched into outer space. Ironically some of the people who worked on the project were actually students I went to school with who were in my electronics engineering class.

katsucats said:
ColourWheel said:

I don't see who's forcing or "pushing" you to accept.

I never said anything was being forced on me specifically. Though it would be naive not to notice the sudden change the last few years with Chinese "Donghua" suddenly flooding MAL. A lot of which is filled with Chinese propaganda. This is not something happening organically. I have never noticed Japanese Anime has ever been pushed like this on such a scale to it's fans before neither-then-less under guise of entertainment. This is not just me being some paranoid conspiracy theorist either. Japan doesn't have a "50-cent" online propaganda army like China does.
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 3:18 PM
Mar 7, 2022 2:59 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
I think the vast majority of anime fans never go into an anime merch store.
If this was the case Akihabara shopping district in Japan would have been shut down decades ago.
Maybe in Japan, but the vast majority of fans overseas -- the people you're speaking to on this board -- has never been in an anime shop.

ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
In fact, I dare say if we're going historical, the Japanese shounen formula ripped off the Chinese wuxia, and the Dragon Ball franchise largely ripped off the Chinese classic Journey to the West.

The thing is no one cares who did what 1st the fact is China never tried to make "Wuxia" a thing like what Japan has done with the "Dragon Ball".
Of course not, since Wuxia existed 50 years before the internet was popularized. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Yong

ColourWheel said:
A lot of which is filled with Chinese propaganda.
Can you find me an example of this so-called Chinese propaganda?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 3:08 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
ColourWheel said:
Maybe in Japan, but the vast majority of fans overseas -- the people you're speaking to on this board -- has never been in an anime shop.

You are missing the point It's merch that helps perpetuate the culture, regardless of what users on this forum do. MAL isn't even some official site of Anime Authority, it's completely run by western fans.

katsucats said:
I have no interest in doujinshis either, although I can't even begin to understand why you'd think the Chinese government cares about people publishing their own works or spin-offs, as if the Chinese are huge sticklers on copyright law (lol).

This is the thing, you might not be intersted in "doujinshis" but "doujinshis" is one of the things that has prepetuated the Japanese Anime industry. Most of the artist that make "doujinshis" go on to becoming the future of Anime artist in the industry.

Also you would be shocked at the length the Chinese government will go to just to protect their own domestic IP while being completely lax when dealing with foreign IP.

katsucats said:
ColourWheel said:
A lot of which is filled with Chinese propaganda.

I don't need to. Simply do you own search under the "historical" genre. I am not going to waste my time to regurgitating a long list of titles just to point out Chinese propaganda. I would be inadvertently doing more to promote it than make users aware by doing so.
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 3:32 PM
Mar 7, 2022 3:18 PM

May 2015
Drastically improving over the years, almost on-par with what Japan makes. Not to mention enjoyable and the stories are somewhat of a fresh take.

The cgi ones were undeniably trashy though, unless backed by a western studio (more often by Warner Bros)

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Mar 7, 2022 3:20 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
I don't need to. Simply do you own search under the "historical" genre. I am not going to waste my time to regurgitating a long list of titles just to point out Chinese propaganda. I would be inadvertently doing more to promote it than make users aware by doing so.
I have no idea what I'm supposed to be searching for, but if it's that obscure probably no one else sees them either. None of the popular donghua have propaganda. And no one pushes the unpopular donghua. And no one pushes any donghua on any scale comparable to any Japanese shounen. So I have no idea where you're coming from, if it isn't just political paranoia. Search for donghua recommendations on YouTube and you'd find less than a dozen results. So which social media sites are you even getting this exposure?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 3:25 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
Search for donghua recommendations on YouTube and you'd find less than a dozen results.

This is exactly what I been stressing. On a western Site like MAL it's not organic for suddenly a bunch of unknown Chinese "Donghua" to start flooding the database. Japan doesn't have a "50-cent" online propaganda army like China does.
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 3:31 PM
Mar 7, 2022 3:32 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
Though it would be naive not to notice the sudden change the last few years with Chinese "Donghua" suddenly flooding MAL.
There has been recent capital influx into the Chinese anime market and people are recognizing the results. There doesn't even need to be a political explanation for this. The propaganda anime were made before Chinese anime got popular.

ColourWheel said:
You are missing the point It's merch that helps perpetuate the culture. Regardless of users on this forum. MAL isn't even some official site of Anime Authority. It's completely run by western fans.
Merch only perpetuates the culture because that's how the Japanese market is structured, to appease the otaku fans with fanservice, getting them to spend high dollars, instead of targeting the mainstream. It's simultaneously accountable for the charm of anime and its degeneracy. That isn't the only way to structure a market. That isn't how American fans of anime got their exposure, and Chinese anime make their money through product placement, and online ads and subscriptions.

ColourWheel said:
This is the thing, you might not be intersted in "doujinshis" but "doujinshis" is one of the things that has prepetuated the Japanese Anime industry. Most of the artist that make "doujinshis" go on to becoming the future of Anime artist in the industry.
I don't see the relevance. By your logic, Americans shouldn't be anime fans.

ColourWheel said:
Also you would be shocked at the length the Chinese government will go to just to protect their own domestic IP while being completely lax when dealing with foreign IP.
Okay, but none of the torrents have been shut down, nor the streaming sites, so...

Any Chinese doujinshi would be Chinese people making derivatives of Chinese works, so it's not even relevant to foreign policy. Chinese people don't capitalize on physical media precisely because they have to deal with piracy. And that might be the reason the Japanese market restructured to sell expensive limited edition stock as well. Was there anime merch in the 80s? I've only ever seen Bandai products in the 2000s. The explosion of merch is a recent thing.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
katsucats said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
I agree with this. The vast majority of Chinese anime are really repetitive and generic. Some of them have decent arch plots, as if the authors wrote down what happens in the novel, and amateur script writers filled in the character interactions with cliches (which is what I bet happened). But the good ones are good.

One of the common criticisms to xianxia (cultivation) is that they have too much terminology, or are too different and hard to understand. Part of it is probably the bad fan translations that are floating around out there. But I don't really get this line of thinking. Probably most of the cultivation terminology is directly portable from (insert your shounen here), whether it's nen from HxH, or ki from DBZ. In fact, nen or nian4 in Chinese just means "desire" or "sense" and have been used in a couple cultivation shows I've seen; and ki or qi4 in Chinese just means "breath". Chakra is a Hindu export.

They're all used in the same way. When Goku focuses his energy under his feet to fly, or Rock Lee opens up his Eight Gates to allow freer flow of chakra, these things are exactly the same as what cultivators do. The whole cultivation goal is to open up these gates (but more permanently instead of a short-term power up).

I think the only part of cultivation that should be unique is the alchemy aspect, where they absorb different kinds of energy from medicinal herbs and animal parts to make medicine/pills. But if you've played any JRPGs recently, there's that too.

Yeah some terms were weird at the begin, but you go with flow lol
A lot of mythological and spiritual ideas are also quite similar in most cultures. The details vary from culture to culture, but the core ideas are often quite similar.
At least the stories are still not that difficult to understand, even without deeper knowledge about chinese culture.
I rather think it was interesting to see some of the Medieval Age Chinese Culture in the Untamed series. You know daily stuff like how people are greeting each other, clothes and furniture and food etc. Maybe shouldn't be seen as too historical, but it was still interesting. ^^
Mar 7, 2022 3:41 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
Search for donghua recommendations on YouTube and you'd find less than a dozen results.

This is exactly what I been stressing. On a western Site like MAL it's not organic for suddenly a bunch of unknown Chinese "Donghua" to start flooding the database. Japan doesn't have a "50-cent" online propaganda army like China does.
It's "flooding" the database because there is a backlog of titles before people picked up on them. It's quite presumptuous to say that people who are interested in watching Chinese anime, and therefore propose new additions, are automatically part of some "50-cent" propaganda army -- which is ridiculous on face value when you consider that the Chinese economy has grown leaps and bounds in the last 2 decades.

If you want my opinion, your paranoia is outdated. China is no virtue, but your concerns were a thing in the 90s. China had finished the phase of stealing IPs. Now they're on the forefront of machine learning innovation and 5G. If there's a Chinese 50 cent army, then the Japanese would have a 65 cent army because their cost of living are now comparable.

The Chinese government is not selling wuxia because wuxia is anti-government. I'm fine with people hating on the Chinese government for e.g. their treatment of the Uyghurs or for them stealing IPs, I gotta reiterate, the hatred is rampant. smh
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 4:12 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
ColourWheel said:
Though it would be naive not to notice the sudden change the last few years with Chinese "Donghua" suddenly flooding MAL.
There has been recent capital influx into the Chinese anime market and people are recognizing the results. There doesn't even need to be a political explanation for this. The propaganda anime were made before Chinese anime got popular.

This is a "Western" website dedicated to "Japanese Anime". It's the fans that submit entries. It's completely unorganic for a sudden influx of unknown Chinese "Donghua" to start suddenly flooding the database. backlogging is not a good explanation for this. The moderators on this site barely keep up with adding upcoming Japanese Anime to the database. It's unlikely for hundreds of unknown Chinese "Donghua" to suddenly be added all at once. Not unless you have an army of users like the "50-cent" online propaganda army suddenly summiting a bunch of titles all at once. Especially since this site doesn't support news feeds of upcoming Chinese "Donghua".

katsucats said:

Merch only perpetuates the culture because that's how the Japanese market is structured, to appease the otaku fans with fanservice, getting them to spend high dollars, instead of targeting the mainstream.

Chinese "Donghua" has nothing like Japanese Anime in this aspect. Sex sell! It's the reason why fans are obsessed with the Anime culture more than someone like you or me can realize. I doubt Anime would be where it is today without the Fanservice Japanese Anime provides.

katsucats said:

ColourWheel said:

I don't see the relevance. By your logic, Americans shouldn't be anime fans.

I don't even know how to respond to this. If you don't have an understanding to this it's pointless to keep explaining it to you. Americans being anime fans has nothing to do with what I said and even more irrelevant to my statement.

katsucats said:
Was there anime merch in the 80s?

Far more than what you were ever been expose to. Even if the merch back in the 80s was completely different. You are also pointing to a time period before Anime was just nearly starting to develop it's own unique culture around the world. Which isn't a very fair comparison to make when even during the 80s no one outside of China cared about Chinese "Donghua" let alone knew of it's existence, even when it's been around since the 50s.

edit: I would also like to add something else it's no wonder the Chinese Government wants Chinese "Donghua" to be fused in with Japanese Anime as if it all belongs together. You mention before that some Japanese like to call Disney cartoons Anime. They wanted it to be viewed on it's scale. A similar thing is happening with the Chinese dealing with Japanese Anime. So the Chinese have no argument with this if it helping Chinese "Donghua" become more popular.
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 4:34 PM
Mar 7, 2022 4:35 PM

Feb 2016
ColourWheel said:
This is a "Western" website dedicated to "Japanese Anime". It's the fans that submit entries. It's completely unorganic for a sudden influx of unknown Chinese "Donghua" to start suddenly flooding the database. backlogging is not a good explanation for this. The moderators on this site barely keep up with adding upcoming Japanese Anime to the database. It's unlikely for hundreds of unknown Chinese "Donghua" to suddenly be added all at once. Not unless you have an army of users like the "50-cent" online propaganda army suddenly summiting a bunch of titles all at once. Especially since this site doesn't support news feeds of upcoming Chinese "Donghua".

You've described exactly why I think this website would be better off dealing in Japanese titles exclusively.
その目だれの目?
Mar 7, 2022 4:48 PM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
ColourWheel said:

You've described exactly why I think this website would be better off dealing in Japanese titles exclusively.

Something that should be noted is there has never been a sudden influx of Korean manhwa being actively submitted to the database. What I said about unknown Chinese "Donghua" is completely unorganic.
Mar 7, 2022 4:52 PM

Feb 2016
@ColourWheel
How is the situation with webtoons different from the situation with donghua? It's the same problem, as far as I can tell.
その目だれの目?
Mar 7, 2022 4:55 PM

Feb 2019
A lot of them seem really similar, I wonder if there are more restrictions there
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Mar 7, 2022 5:00 PM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
@ColourWheel
How is the situation with webtoons different from the situation with donghua? It's the same problem, as far as I can tell.

I have never witnessed "manhwa" being submitted to the MAL database on the large scale that has been done with "donghua". I can't imagine that a Western user could suddenly summit hundreds of unknown titles all at once. This type of thing happening suspiciously reeks of a propaganda campaign. But it's likely I could have missed it happening.
Mar 7, 2022 5:01 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
I don't even know how to respond to this. If you don't have an understanding to this it's pointless to keep explaining it to you. Americans being anime fans has nothing to do with what I said and even more irrelevant to my statement.
I agree. The fact that you think the Japanese animation business model is the only business model that could be successful, and you keep injecting Cold War style conspiracies into perfectly reasonable scenarios -- that a new category of media would have a backlog -- makes this conversation pointless to continue.

There are 1254 anime with the Historical tag in the database. I counted 202 Chinese anime, with 40% of them or so being sequels, about 5 that had synopsis that sound like they could be propaganda, most of which were movies made before 1980.

So where are these "hundreds" of anime being uploaded by the red army? Please. We had a productive conversation, but it looks like my initial charge was right again. You bought into the Euro-centric narrative that held the Japanese as a paragon of post-WW2 Americanization, the model minority, as a tool in the Cold War against other Asian cultures.

I'ma call it out when I see it. You don't just hate donghua. It's clear the fear comes from a different origin, a political and cultural origin, that causes you to see conspiracies where the evidence doesn't exist. Conspiracies that the Chinese government is going back in time to pay pre-industrialization wages to a propagandist "50 cent" red army so they could add anime to MAL of all things. On top of that, you read a bunch of historical synopses from a genre that was historically anti-government and presumed they were propaganda. I've seen about 60% of the franchises (like I said, there are a lot of sequels), and none of the shows that I've seen save one had any inkling of being pro-government.

It's as ridiculous as it sounds. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not sure what there is to be said when the only argument you have practically amounts to that Chinese people are untrustworthy.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 5:05 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
ColourWheel said:
I agree. The fact that you think the Japanese animation business model is the only business model that could be successful, and you keep injecting Cold War style conspiracies into perfectly reasonable scenarios -- that a new category of media would have a backlog -- makes this conversation pointless to continue.

There are 1254 anime with the Historical tag in the database. I counted 202 Chinese anime, with 40% of them or so being sequels, about 5 that had synopsis that sound like they could be propaganda, most of which were movies made before 1980.

So where are these "hundreds" of anime being uploaded by the red army? Please. We had a productive conversation, but it looks like my initial charge was right again. You bought into the Euro-centric narrative that held the Japanese as a paragon of post-WW2 Americanization, the model minority, as a tool in the Cold War against other Asian cultures.

I'ma call it out when I see it. You don't just hate donghua. It's clear the fear comes from a different origin, a political and cultural origin, that causes you to see conspiracies where the evidence doesn't exist. Conspiracies that the Chinese government is going back in time to pay pre-industrialization wages to a propagandist "50 cent" red army so they could add anime to MAL of all things. On top of that, you read a bunch of historical synopses from a genre that was historically anti-government and presumed they were propaganda. I've seen about 60% of the franchises (like I said, there are a lot of sequels), and none of the shows that I've seen save one had any inkling of being pro-government.

It's as ridiculous as it sounds. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not sure what there is to be said when the only argument you have practically amounts to that Chinese people are untrustworthy.

In retrospect I could easily call you out on propping your own propaganda because this is exactly what you are doing in denying everything you don't agree with then trying to make an argument just to make a user like me seem like I am some paranoid conspiracy theorist. You can't think for a moment that you someone live on the high ground of this debate. The things you have been posting are completely aligned with what the Chinese government wishes people would think of Chinese "donghua". Also I have made it clear before in my 1st post that I do not like Chinese "donghua". If suddenly you are understanding this now you must of just ignored it.

You keep on bringing up "Euro-centric narrative that held the Japanese". please... This is a Japanese Anime Database. I would think if you were so against the Japanese why the hell are you even on a site like this that caters to Japanese Anime Fans since Japanese Anime for the most part is made specifically to cater to the Japanese people?

By the way You remember you asking me "doesn't also confer that Japanese people don't use the word anime to describe anime?" I asked my wife about it and she confirmed the answer for me so you can "concede."
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 5:19 PM
Mar 7, 2022 5:14 PM

Jun 2016
There is no such thing as "chinese anime". Anime comes from Japan.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 7, 2022 5:16 PM

Oct 2012
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
I rather think it was interesting to see some of the Medieval Age Chinese Culture in the Untamed series. You know daily stuff like how people are greeting each other, clothes and furniture and food etc. Maybe shouldn't be seen as too historical, but it was still interesting. ^^
I think the most historically "passable" (not necessarily accurate, since I wouldn't know if it's accurate or not) is Memory of Chang'An. It's a court/palace romance without any magic powers, demons or anything. Just spies from neighboring kingdoms. It's okay, if you can get past the main couple being tsunderes. The main character (girl) acts like a more modern person, probably for self-inserts, but everyone else act like what people in historical dramas tend to act like.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 5:20 PM

Feb 2016
@ColourWheel
I had no idea "hundreds" of donghua were being submitted "all at once." That certainly is a very suspicious activity. How did you learn of it? I only notice that there's a large, undefined number of Chinese animation and Korean webtoons in the database. I know nothing about these titles, and I see no merchandise for them. Fans call for inclusion of both with reasoning that boils down to "everything with moonrunes is anime."
その目だれの目?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

98 by FanofAction »»
50 seconds ago

» 3x3/Grid thread

Johan420 - Apr 28

6 by Shizuna »»
2 minutes ago

» Does femdom ruin romance anime for you?

Sanjay63773 - 2 hours ago

14 by Absurdo_N »»
10 minutes ago

» what is the best slice of life anime and why ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Lhundrup »»
11 minutes ago

» Did I ever tell you what the definition of stupidity is?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

26 by Rinenka »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.