Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 28, 2021 7:30 AM

Oct 2021
If you haven’t actually tried Anilist, how can you say it’s worse than MAL?

Better database, better list stats, better UI, better score manipulation(7.5/10), better titles(romanji or English, your choice), better favorites(you can have more than 10 and NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT), better forums(cause they don’t have the 30 character limit)

Please explain yourself MAL
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2021 7:34 AM
Jan 2020
They really should update their UI. It's outdated as hell.
Oct 28, 2021 7:38 AM

Apr 2021
Nah fam. I’ve got both lists and I like this one better.

The community here is more fun and I also LOVE the early 2010s look of this website.

Plus with more members on MAL the database is more accurate towards the actual stats
My poor signature was removed because it “took up too much space”
Oct 28, 2021 7:41 AM

Feb 2020
I have both and I feel MAL is way better honestly I'm not a fan of Anilist to be honest I forgot I had one until now.
Oct 28, 2021 7:43 AM

Aug 2010
I list the anime i've seen.
I dont really care where i do it, but i started on mal years ago, why switch now. The listing function still works just fine
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Oct 28, 2021 7:44 AM

Nov 2020
I would say that as a website, Anilist is better. But if you are talking about the community and forums, the MAL. Anilist is dead lol.
If you ever feel bored and are questioning the meaning of your existence, read deez blogs. Maybe you will find your answers.
Oct 28, 2021 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
I use both anilist more maybe but something bugs me I just wanna know why anilist have so many simps just read chainsaw man and Makima is 3rd here while on anilist 1st

Sorry clearly i dont like Makima
Oct 28, 2021 7:45 AM

Nov 2016
The mobile version of MAL looks far more appealing to me, that's how I ended up here in the first place. I don't even feel like giving Anilist a chance.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 28, 2021 7:48 AM

Mar 2020
I use both.

MAL is better because it has better profiles and forums (forum signatures and your profile has free space for customizing)
MAL scores are also better because AniLists top 20 or so anime are a joke and a popularity contest

Oct 2010
anilist is trash and will remain like that

Dec 2020
Nah, I prefer here. This is where the toxic people are at. I can have all the fun I want with them here

Oct 28, 2021 7:50 AM

Feb 2020
SleepySimoon said:
Better database,
You mean the tags? MAL is currently updating their system, but AniDB will always be superior, so I usually go there when I want to search for something specific.
better list stats,
Where?
better UI,
No, I hate this modern web design. MAL looks better and is way more intuitive.
better score manipulation(7.5/10),
Ten scores are enough, why do you need more? And most people don't even use the full scale on MAL.
better titles(romanji or English, your choice),
It's just the main titles, and I prefer romaji over English anyway.
better favorites(you can have more than 10 and NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT),
Ten is enough, having more devalues them. You can put an extended list in your bio if you need.
better forums(cause they don’t have the 30 character limit)
It's not difficult to get to 30 characters if it's a good thread.
Oct 28, 2021 7:52 AM

Jul 2021
welp, I don't use it so I can't tell anything but I heard that their mods are strict D:
Oct 28, 2021 7:52 AM

Jul 2020
You forgot to add that there is less toxicity, barely bot score manipulation.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 28, 2021 7:53 AM

Sep 2018
I prefer desktop mal to anilist by a large margin. I prefer the search feature here on mal more too.
Oct 28, 2021 7:54 AM

Jul 2019
Nah, I am on both and like MAL better.

mazuchi said:
SleepySimoon said:
Better database,
You mean the tags? MAL is currently updating their system, but AniDB will always be superior, so I usually go there when I want to search for something specific.
better list stats,
Where?
better UI,
No, I hate this modern web design. MAL looks better and is way more intuitive.
better score manipulation(7.5/10),
Ten scores are enough, why do you need more? And most people don't even use the full scale on MAL.
better titles(romanji or English, your choice),
It's just the main titles, and I prefer romaji over English anyway.
better favorites(you can have more than 10 and NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT),
Ten is enough, having more devalues them. You can put an extended list in your bio if you need.
better forums(cause they don’t have the 30 character limit)
It's not difficult to get to 30 characters if it's a good thread.

Everything this guy said
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Oct 28, 2021 7:55 AM

Feb 2016
Anilist has Dark mode, MAL doesn't, Therefore MAL is ass.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 28, 2021 7:59 AM

Jul 2015
Being able to rate with decimals and the free extended favorite lists is huge there and solved tons of doubts I had with ratings and choices for favs, not to mention, most importantly, that the database changes actually freaking get sent through, most of the time in a matter of hours. I waited MONTHS here for pics I sent to get added, and I'm still waiting for poor Kouhei from Idoly Pride to be changed to main character of the series, c'mon MAL, that dude is basically the protagonist! I sent the changes at least 4 months ago and he's still sitting there classified as supporting, sigh.

MAL still has its better things over Anilist anyways, in big part due to how much older this page is. The forum has plenty of interesting topics from many many years ago and it's still a very active place. The way higher number of members also helps in terms of keeping track of statistics.

But yeah, overall I like Anilist more, but I still just use both pages since I have been here for long enough and I like what it also offers.
Oct 28, 2021 8:01 AM

Nov 2020
Have you considered to... Cry About It.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Oct 28, 2021 8:04 AM

Jul 2021
I tried Anilist, I agree it looks cleaner but I feel more comfortable here and most importantly, it's easier to use
Oct 28, 2021 8:08 AM

Oct 2021
Like WutIsDis said, Anilist is better as website but the forums are dead.

I spent more than a year in Anilist but left after I noticed that the website has no privacy, and one of the mods is using the website to spread his political views (note that Anilist does not ban political discussion which is very prone to abuse; at one point the mod even encouraged political discussions in the site). One big minus for me was I cannot use an ecchi photo as an avatar; they removed my photo subsequently (the ecchi photo I used in Anilist is now my forum avatar here in MAL).
BadonkersOct 30, 2021 7:56 PM
Oct 28, 2021 10:05 AM

Nov 2014
The only good thing about Anilist is the top3 anime.
*shots fired*
Oct 28, 2021 10:12 AM

Sep 2014
OP has 11 posts and is already saying the character limit on MAL is a flaw.
Oct 28, 2021 10:31 AM
Aug 2021
AdolZeppeli said:
You can get dark mode on MAL by using the nightmode feature on the Opera browser.
Oct 28, 2021 10:39 AM
Aug 2021
SleepySimoon said:

Better database, better list stats, better UI, better score manipulation(7.5/10), better titles(romanji or English, your choice), better favorites(you can have more than 10 and NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT), better forums(cause they don’t have the 30 character limit)

Yeah I do agree a bit with ya there OP, it does have a great UI, but it's more suited for mobile than desktop. The stats are also better than MAL's.

But MAL is definitely superior in terms of forums though, Anilist's forums aren't as categorised as MAL's and they're rather inactive in comparison. In fact I see more activity on the status posts of users than the forums on Anilist.

As for the experience with mods on Anilist, this one time I used the word retarded (while poking fun at the voice acting in a laughably trash anime) and that word got redacted. Was it really that offensive?
But I guess that's better than being banned for only trying to cross the character limit on mal(seriously though that rule is absolutely useless and doesn't help in reducing spam posts AT ALL)

If we're considering desktop, then MAL's better, if it's mobile then I'd say Anilist.
Oct 28, 2021 10:49 AM

Feb 2016
-Facktack- said:
AdolZeppeli said:
You can get dark mode on MAL by using the nightmode feature on the Opera browser.

Yes, I know there are extensions to force dark mode, but they're usually very Janky. I would better have a customizable dark mode like AL, which is an inside feature and not a third party mod. (also, who tf uses Opera in 2021?)
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 28, 2021 11:00 AM
Aug 2021
AdolZeppeli said:
-Facktack- said:

Yes, I know there are extensions to force dark mode, but they're usually very Janky. I would better have a customizable dark mode like AL, which is an inside feature and not a third party mod. (also, who tf uses Opera in 2021?)
Yeah I had to use Opera because Chrome(the RAM devourer) kept crashing when I tried to use MAL and Anilist(and a bunch of other websites). I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Opera isn't all that bad tbh. At least it's got a RAM limiter. It would've been nice if there was the option to search through the browser history though.
Oct 28, 2021 11:02 AM

Jun 2021
I started here in MAL so I'll stay with MAL. It works just fine and much more simpler for me to use, and the forums are active as hell so its much more fun. Well people can use whatever website they want so why make argue about it?
Oct 28, 2021 11:05 AM

Jul 2019
If you haven’t actually tried MAL, how can you say it’s worse than Anilist?

More active community, fun events, mods with no bias, no infinite scrolling, no one is fishing for followers or likes, no consistent session expired, no weird cache with updating status or posting on the forum, more consistent database, an entire news section.

Please explain yourself AL.
------

I may have looked like some MAL fanboy, but I just really wanted to show that AL has flaws too. It isn't like that site is perfect. I don't get this MAL vs AL nonsense, if anything MAL is more similar to A-P in some way. Just use what is suited to you. I wouldn't think anyone from AL benefits off of MAL directly or vice versa, so what is the point of all this literal useless pointless fighting.
NextUniverseOct 28, 2021 11:21 AM
Oct 28, 2021 11:11 AM

Feb 2019
I have tried anilist, its just not for me

Mal is best and will remain best.

Also
Mal anime database > anilist anime database
Oct 28, 2021 11:26 AM
Jan 2019
MAL has the largest anime database in the world. That's factual so you cannot say it has a better database. Also largest anime community in the world.
Oct 28, 2021 11:34 AM

May 2020
I find myself using both but I use MAL more often since MAL has a significantly larger and more reliable database than anilist , plus MALs user interface is much more user friendly.
Oct 28, 2021 11:39 AM

Dec 2015
Dosen't have Hentai.
Dosen't Have Chines or Korea works.
The staff is so stupid that and cringe worthy that they have been trying to take mal members from mal into anilist when the site was down.
The database is 10x worse then mal as it dosen't have everything.

Stop smoking things you find in the trashcan, already.

Oct 28, 2021 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Both Anilist and MAL have their good and bad aspects to them. Although personally, I think Anilist has better features as far as unlimited favorites in anime, manga, and characters; text format and stylization; and modern functions for uploading pictures and videos. The only issue with Anilist is that categories aren't as organized as MAL's. Some topics can be mixed in with other categories. New threads also don't occur as often as MAL And I will admit that I don't like the aspect of following users since I don't always like people's activity status.
Oct 28, 2021 11:49 AM
Mar 2020
Tendo_GM said:
I use both.

MAL is better because it has better profiles and forums (forum signatures and your profile has free space for customizing)
MAL scores are also better because AniLists top 20 or so anime are a joke and a popularity contest

Both are popularity contests. What are you talking about
Oct 28, 2021 11:51 AM
Mar 2020
Nillwas said:
Dosen't have Hentai.
Dosen't Have Chines or Korea works.
The staff is so stupid that and cringe worthy that they have been trying to take mal members from mal into anilist when the site was down.
The database is 10x worse then mal as it dosen't have everything.

Stop smoking things you find in the trashcan, already.

It has a lot of Chinese and Korean works. Definitely more than MAL. And it also has hentai. Have you used the site??
Oct 28, 2021 11:52 AM

Mar 2020
SleepySimoon said:

Hard disagree on the UI, I much prefer the edges in MAL to anilist's weird curves (unless I'm misunderstanding what UI is and its not the way the site and its functions look and are placed). But I agree about the other points. MAL is what I've used so far so I'm sticking with it as I don't think the points really matter as both sites basically do the same

Oct 28, 2021 11:54 AM
Mar 2020
Although I like AniList WAY more because of the UI design, responsiveness and all that you mentioned, I prefer the community here. There are always shitstorms brewing - I love it. From a programming perspective, AniList is also better since MAL's API is dogshit. But I've used MAL for a while now so I'm used to it
Oct 28, 2021 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
I prefer the list design and database look of MAL.
Oct 28, 2021 12:05 PM

Dec 2015
The top ranking are objectively better on Anilist. It's true that the community is far from being as big and active as on MAL, but that's exactly why we don't see many idiots trying to manipulate the score.
Oct 28, 2021 12:06 PM

Apr 2018
Hmm, I dunno. I tried Anilist for a while, and although I do like its "cleaner" aesthetic and the nice cover pictures for title entries, I found that its database is not actually as complete as MAL's.

I tested it by searching up some of the more obscure/unknown titles that I have in my list here and there was a considerable amount of them that I could not find over there; also no Hentai entries at all. That was kind of a deal breaker for me, since the database itself is like 90% of the reason I use this kind of site in the first place (don't care much for the social aspect).

So I think I'll stick to MAL, thanks. In my experience, it's the most legit anime encyclopedia there is.
Stygian_PrisonerOct 28, 2021 12:14 PM
Oct 28, 2021 12:09 PM
Jan 2020
MAL has a better community though AniList has a far better database and UI. I really wish MAL would implement better score manipulation and just add decimals tbh. AniList is better to make a list for your animes but MAL is better to talk with others about shows
Oct 28, 2021 12:14 PM

Sep 2008
anilist's ui sucks. the database is less complete as well. it's good for backup, but I want something less script heavy.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Oct 28, 2021 12:35 PM

Mar 2020
Ethitlan said:
Tendo_GM said:
I use both.

Both are popularity contests. What are you talking about

They are, but AniList is way worse, it puts new anime very high up. It’s 2 top anime are both from 2021
Oct 28, 2021 12:43 PM

Apr 2018
Ethitlan said:
And it also has hentai. Have you used the site??

I just dropped in there for a sec to look up Bible Black, arguably one of the most famous and popular hentai of all time... wasn't there.

Looked up some other hentai titles like Araiya-san, which had a "safe", edited ecchi version for broadcast... nothing.

Artistic erotic titles like Belladonna of Sadness?... zilch.

Borderline hentai titles like Aki Sora, Interspecies Reviewers and Redo of Healer?... nope.

I even checked the genre tags filter in alphabetical order and I didn't see "Hentai" anywhere in the "H" section.

So, if you could drop me some links as examples and point me to those hentai titles that Anilist supposedly has, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to call BS on this one, fam.

Either way, the fact that I could not find any of the aforementioned titles at all already goes to show how lacking Anilist's database is compared to MAL's.
Stygian_PrisonerOct 28, 2021 12:57 PM
Oct 28, 2021 12:56 PM
May 2014
What about anime planet? Anyone use that?
Oct 28, 2021 12:59 PM

Jun 2017
The only thing Anilist does better is the Stats section of your profile. Everything else is done much better on MAL
Oct 28, 2021 1:00 PM

May 2016
anilist sucks. mods are garbage and they are strict on forums. they will ban you for saying trap.
Oct 28, 2021 1:22 PM

May 2018
Who asked?
You thought it was 30 character limit, but it was me, Dio!

Oct 28, 2021 1:37 PM

Oct 2013
That's nice, but I literally don't care about most of that stuff...If you like it so much, you're free to switch over, but I won't be doing so unless MAL shuts down for good.

Also, the forums here are an endless source of entertainment.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - Today

25 by DreamingBeats »»
2 minutes ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - 59 minutes ago

6 by Soap »»
6 minutes ago

» How can you spend time with your waifu if she's in the entertainment business?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

10 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - Yesterday

40 by GoddessLove »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.