Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 2, 2021 6:22 AM
Apr 2020
The male MC reminds me a lot of the MC guy in A Silent Voice

The movie started a little but slow, but thankfully it got picked up right away. Really like the OST of this anime. Also that ending is quite satisfying too. * Pro tip.. Skip the end credits and jump on the last minute of the movie. You'll see something in there *. Overall I enjoyed it, so I'll give it a 9/10

The genre is quite wrong tho. The music part of this anime is only little.. Only the latter part of the movie became music like. The genre should include SOL, drama and romance
Aug 3, 2021 10:21 AM
Jan 2021
Ahh I’m so annoyed that smile broke the record, Ik it was accidental but come on man 😩

Aug 4, 2021 10:42 AM
Mar 2016
I enjoyed it. The story could have definitely been better, but it was fine for what it was. Plus you can't really go wrong with bunny teeth and braces. So cute.
Aug 7, 2021 8:39 AM

Jul 2020
The artstyle was alright I guess. But ngl tho, I really enjoyed the movie. Giving it a solid 7/10
Aug 7, 2021 11:56 AM

Feb 2020
hmm could've been better but i still enjoyed it very much :D

i love the ost aaa so happy it's on spotify

can someone give me recommendations similar to the two mcs? (:
Aug 15, 2021 6:50 PM
Sep 2015
janiifacee said:
Ahh I’m so annoyed that smile broke the record, Ik it was accidental but come on man 😩
The warp in the record was extreme and was highly likely to be unplayable.
Aug 21, 2021 5:57 AM

Oct 2009
It's a nice movie, felt a bit short and not really exploring the character, but considering the runtime it's good enough I think.
umjis said:

Two cute pairings that experienced their first love?
I'd usually recommend Tsuki ga Kirei but it seems you already watched that

Another recommendation probably Uchouten Kazoku, it's not focused on the romance but rather on the tanuki family of the MC, but they also has nice pairings between Yasaburou and Kaisei (their engagement is only part of the story)
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 21, 2021 2:51 PM

Feb 2020
azzuRe said:
It's a nice movie, felt a bit short and not really exploring the character, but considering the runtime it's good enough I think.
umjis said:

Two cute pairings that experienced their first love?
I'd usually recommend Tsuki ga Kirei but it seems you already watched that

Another recommendation probably Uchouten Kazoku, it's not focused on the romance but rather on the tanuki family of the MC, but they also has nice pairings between Yasaburou and Kaisei (their engagement is only part of the story)

thank you for this!! :D also, thank you for taking the time to even look through my watchlist haha

have a nice day/night ! (:
Aug 21, 2021 7:05 PM
Phantom Thief

Jan 2012
in all honesty, the characters were so flat imo.
There needed to be more drama for this story.
I guess its a kids film, so whatever.
But this did nothing for me.

cute animation and weird music.
For being a music genre tag, it was very dissappointing.
Aug 21, 2021 9:54 PM
Jun 2020
I loved the art, everything else was kinda meh at best for me :/
Aug 25, 2021 4:39 AM

Oct 2016
Enjoyed the fuck out of the movie, it wasn't amazing or anything, but it was hella charming. It was really good, though I wished it was longer and gave more time to Cherry and Smile together. The artstyle, animation and music were amazing though. I really liked Cherry and Smile as well, they were cute and relatable. 8/10
Aug 27, 2021 9:32 AM
Apr 2021
I just finished watching it ngl I cried at the end hehe... never the less it was beautiful ^_^
Aug 28, 2021 8:34 AM

Apr 2008
It was predictable but cute and heartwarming. Solid 7.5 for me
Sep 4, 2021 1:52 PM

Apr 2016
Nice movie! I liked that they got together at the end. It was light and funny, I also liked the art style.
Sep 11, 2021 12:39 PM

Dec 2015
I'm surprised on how much I liked this. At first I was sure this would failed to be engaging and ultimately become a boring watch, but I got really into it's simple "slice of life" style. It slowly manage to get my attention and I was profoundly invested in the main events. It almost made me tear up with grandpa at the end. 7.5/10 (7/10 on MAL). I think most people will enjoy it if they have low expectations.
BetterTasteSep 12, 2021 4:43 AM
Sep 14, 2021 2:17 PM

Jul 2008
Daaaayum in the end I was like "Uh no no no too embarrassing", and like I was screaming " ya ya yaaaa atsukashii !" in front of the TV with cold sweats haha. I like my romance bold and not that sweet and pinky and embarrassing haha
Sep 16, 2021 7:34 AM

Mar 2018
Wasn't very fond of the style of the anime and the story was bland but I loved the score by Kensuke Ushio. Serviceable but nothing I would recommend. You can kill time with it but won't really miss anything if you decide not to watch it.
Oct 4, 2021 10:51 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Bruh, Fujiyama wife absolutely cute even with that tooth. So their story and the mc story got a resemblance. I like the idea of using that foreign kid as the way to put up all those haiku words around the background. Haiku and bits of music as the central theme surrounding the classic boy-meet-girl romance story with such an inferiority. I can't say bad for this kind of show! Though, the art and animation can be better. But overall, its just fine. Plus those strong romance with such a simple plot, even though that little adventure kinda be silly. I think i can simply put this at my 7. Not enough 8 because of still lacking the characters depth, everything still rounded by coincidence, and the art style isn't all my liking. Still, its very enjoyable if you just want to see some simple romance story with a different way to express the love.

That's it all from me....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 5, 2021 11:00 AM

Feb 2017
Overall it was a nice movie, can't say I didn't have nice time. It was really nice looking as well, really like the style. But god... I am so freaking tired of extremely anti-social, introverted pushover male protagonists in romance anime. It feels like every romance anime these days has to feature such male protagonist. It's so tiring and annoying to watch. Can't we have at least a regular guy for once, a normal guy who isn't afraid of his own shadow. Anyway, the plot and characters weren't super interesting but it did manage to be cute and somewhat enjoyable. 5.5/10
Dec 7, 2021 11:01 PM
Jan 2021
Really love this anime. Artistic animation and a moving story.
Dec 12, 2021 11:46 AM

May 2015
Good timekiller. I really like animation and last song. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 23, 2021 12:56 AM

May 2015
Solid 9/10. I actually cried at the end.
I watched it dubbed in Spanish and the haiku translations weren't bad at all.
Very simple story but it hits you right in the kokkoro. I'd definitely watch again.
Mar 7, 2022 7:36 PM

Jul 2016
Sweet ending but I still wonder what Smile saw in Cherry to fall in love in the first place.

Alright movie, I guess. Color palette and OST were definitely the highlight of it.

6/10
Mar 7, 2022 7:39 PM

Jul 2021
I like how refreshing and casual the artstyle is, the storytelling in the 2nd half was really struggling to hold it's consistency on the first half and rather just rushed the fuck out of it, the ending was very less-expanding to what's supposedly a greater idea and nothing sprinkles a notch to it. The OST were pretty good though it's not my jam. 5/10
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 15, 2022 10:09 PM
Jan 2020
Running montage with theme song in never gets old
Mar 17, 2022 8:01 AM

Jan 2013
It was about as average as average can be. Reminded me a lot of kimi no na wa, expect this wasn't as cringey. That last scene was pretty hard to get through though.
Mar 17, 2022 4:14 PM

Jan 2020
nice movie, was ok, very cute and good animation, deserves a strong 8/10
Apr 5, 2022 12:31 PM

Aug 2017
2/5. Felt like a college student project.

Replete with a racing for love trope. Sometimes I go for these, but not so much here.

I don't like antisocial male characters. The guy here is weird. Girl should be a keeper after her braces fix her teeth. The two don't belong together.
Tsarko said:
Overall it was a nice movie, can't say I didn't have nice time. It was really nice looking as well, really like the style. But god... I am so freaking tired of extremely anti-social, introverted pushover male protagonists in romance anime. It feels like every romance anime these days has to feature such male protagonist. It's so tiring and annoying to watch. Can't we have at least a regular guy for once, a normal guy who isn't afraid of his own shadow.

Yeah man, such guys are pretty bad. Kinda prefer a shounen badass like Kirito.
SouthRzVa said:
Sweet ending but I still wonder what Smile saw in Cherry to fall in love in the first place.
No reason for the girl to like the boy here. He didn't do anything to capture her heart. It was nonsense.
CarbonMDApr 5, 2022 12:36 PM
Apr 9, 2022 4:08 PM

Jun 2016
Yamazakura,
I like the leaves you hide
before you blossom.

<3
May 3, 2022 5:46 AM

Jul 2014
From the very beginning this feels very contrived. For example, the phone mix-up is utterly nonsensical, as the movie itself shows us with a shot of the two phones side-by-side on the ground: Cherry's phone is more than twice the thickness of Smile's, yet we're supposed to believe neither of them noticed the discrepancy immediately? They're both obviously very conscious of their phones, they would definitely notice and not make that mistake, nor take so long to figure out that they did so.

That set the tone and it only got worse and worse as it progressed. Part tedious, part cliche, entirely painful to force myself to sit through from start to finish. A genuine complete and utter waste of time.

Also, holy shit was the soundtrack painfully generic. I felt like I'd heard every single piece of OST in other series and movies, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this actually was the case.

3/10
May 4, 2022 1:37 PM

Mar 2010
I just i dunno one of the few animes that left me emotional. Not necessarily in a way that u shed tears but it touched me deeply. I just loved it. One of the few times i gave a big 10. I get that its not everyones cup of tea however. But i loved the bright beautiful artstyle too, the relaxing vibe it gave yet a semi serious message behind it to accept yourself. A way to grow, to find your own way to show yourself to the world. Yeah i loved it.

What i tend to love, most people hate hahah i just notice and im cool with it.
May 26, 2022 1:23 AM

Jun 2015
I was very surprised by this film, I didn't think I would like it that much. I love the main duo
May 30, 2022 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
Akkk!! It was so wholesome ( ๑>ᴗ<๑ )(´,,•ω•,,)♡ . I loved every part of it. My favorite character was Smile/Yuki. Her online name is Smile, and she’s very popular online. She wears a mask because she’s insecure of her buck teeth, despite them being adorable. I really liked Cherry too!! He is super sweet, and I love how he expresses himself through haikus like how I express myself through writing and drawing. I also LOVED how they work at a place which helps old people and they get to do stuff with them!! It was soooo wholesome ahhh!! My second favorite character is Mr. Fujiyama. He’s the sweet old man who’s sadly deaf which means he can be loud sometimes. HE IS SO SWEET AAHH!! He is desperate to find a record that his wife used to make because she used to be a singer, but he initially couldn’t find it until Smile and Cherry helped him. When they played it at the festival, and he started to cry tears of joy while performing the dance and Smile live streamed it, while Mr. Fujiyama replayed old memories of him and his wife just having wholesome romantic moments when they were younger, it was just so beautiful, I even shed a tear. Also, the confession scene where Cherry confesses to Smile through his haiku after Mr. Fujiyama encouraged him. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Plus, the songs were THE BEST!! Overall, I LOVE this movie. <3
Jun 4, 2022 10:45 AM
Feb 2020
they strapped a clock to a record 8/10
Jun 22, 2022 5:31 AM

Aug 2020
surprisingly good. i thought it would be way more dull
Jul 21, 2022 12:15 AM

Apr 2020
Dayum, I like the way Cherry expresses his feelings to Smile.
Aug 1, 2022 6:37 AM

Mar 2016
Simple and easy-going coming-of-age romance flim. Coupled up with a very vibrant/energetic visual style and great nostalgia 50s pop music.

It won't leave a long-lasting impact and lacks depth, but it's fine! Watching something like this once in a while to take off our mind is great too.

I like it!
Aug 6, 2022 10:09 AM
Nov 2020
this anime movie was honestly cute i love the ending, but I was pretty upset when she broke the disc lol
Aug 9, 2022 6:54 AM

Dec 2020
the art style and vibrant color scheme used throughout the movie is to die for. good story, though it was kinda slow, and a heartwarming ending. overall i like it
anxi0usgum1Aug 9, 2022 7:28 AM
Sep 5, 2022 10:00 PM
Feb 2022
Gonne be honest, I really enjoyed watching this! The colors were pretty bright and took some getting used to but it grew on me and I’ve come to like it quite a bit now. I teared up at the end of the movie, and the soundtrack was great. It’s nothing life-changing or intense, just a cute romance anime movie about a pair of young people who have everyday issues. I imagine it’d be a fun watch with some family and friends ^^
Oct 4, 2022 5:39 PM
May 2022
well, I love the art and vibe of this show, but I thought the plot was really boring.
Oct 12, 2022 5:10 AM

Feb 2020
I didn't like that they had to make the story extra complicated for no reason. I thought Smile accidentally breaking the record was a pretty lazy way to write the plot. No person would think to press down on the fucking record. Like what the hell did she think was gonna happen? I was actually fucking fuming watching that scene lmfao.

Well other than that, it was an ok movie i guess. I liked the aesthetic of the movie and liked the premise. Just, they could've pulled it off better in my opinion, very big missed opportunity. 6/10

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2022 9:06 AM

Jun 2017
I'd say this anime made me want to own a vinyl player!LOL The ending was sweet! I didn't expect them to kiss and it's shown through silhouette too, so not everyone could've noticed it, not unless they're thorough.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jan 5, 2023 8:11 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I've been watching a ton of visually stunning films lately but this really sticks out with it's vibrant color pallet and it's really cartoon framed animation style, it really makes the summer love of this film really pop and set tone for itself. I love that its casual laid back but also has a very heart warming plot mixed centered in so it can get all the characters involved but connects with the romance. I do wish Cherry moving wasn't used so much as a plot device to up the stakes for the dramatic ending but I guess there needed to be a big overarching climax for that confession. And despite it being a typical teenage romance it did have a lot of unique qualities, I do love both Cherry and Smile a lot, sometimes I feel like I'm artificially composed to root for the couple in romance movies but this one I was like "darn get together!!"

I was waffling a bit but the end cemented my 8/10!
Jan 7, 2023 8:56 PM
Jun 2021
wholesome story with colourful animation
Jan 10, 2023 12:52 PM
Nov 2014
I loved the fact that  one of the first records they showed in the shop was Taeko Onuki's  Sunshower,  and Taeko Onuki also sung the Yamazakura song. Seeing Tatsuro Yamashita's For You was also nice
Mar 30, 2023 1:47 AM
Sep 2022
It was very heavy on the foreshadowing and really shows the audience what it what you to know. But it was a very down to earth and cute story.
Apr 11, 2023 3:54 AM

May 2008
I was not impressed for most of it, but when the old man remembers (spoilers spoilers) damn... That got me hard.

It was enjoyable, 7/10
Apr 17, 2023 10:19 AM
Apr 2023
My favourite anime movie of all time.
Apr 29, 2023 7:52 AM
Jul 2021
Good movie i cry mutch
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Did cherry and smile get together at the end or not?

Generatordid - Aug 3, 2021

21 by GrayZStars »»
Aug 1, 2023 7:08 PM

» Streaming on Netflix

JohanJ04 - Jun 23, 2021

16 by JohanJ04 »»
Feb 19, 2023 6:37 PM

» Let's not talk about the dub's ending

ttc1001 - Jul 23, 2021

35 by TheSunLife »»
Apr 27, 2022 6:26 AM

» Is the English dub good?

RealNath - Aug 1, 2021

17 by Shad0w24 »»
Aug 21, 2021 9:49 PM

» Thoughts on the new trailer (2021)

Euphorian_ - Jun 22, 2021

16 by Euphorian_ »»
Jul 17, 2021 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.