Forum Settings
Forums

Health Secretary Sajid Javid tests positive for Covid

New
Jul 17, 2021 11:03 AM

Mar 2021

Health Secretary Sajid Javid says he has tested positive for Covid-19 and is suffering "very mild" symptoms.
Mr Javid, who said he had received both vaccine doses, took a lateral flow test on Saturday morning after feeling a "bit groggy" on Friday night and it came back positive.
He said he is now self-isolating until he gets the results of a PCR test.
Meanwhile, England's deputy chief medical officer, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, has warned of a "bumpy winter" ahead.
It comes as the UK recorded more than 50,000 daily cases for the second day running, days before almost all legal restrictions on social contact are lifted in England on Monday.
There were 54,674 cases - following 51,870 new cases on Friday - with 41 deaths within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test.
The last time cases exceeded 50,000 was in mid-January.
In a video posted on his Twitter feed, Mr Javid said: "I was feeling a bit groggy last night, so I took a lateral flow test this morning and it's come out positive, so I'm now self-isolating at home with my family until I get the results of a PCR test.
"I'm grateful that I've had two jabs of the vaccine and so far my symptoms are very mild."
He urged people who had not been vaccinated yet to "get out there and get them as soon as you can".
Mr Javid also said people who feel groggy or come into contact with someone who is positive should take a lateral flow test.
A graph showing infections have risen above autumn 2020 levels
Mr Javid replaced Matt Hancock as health secretary less than three weeks ago after CCTV footage emerged showing his predecessor kissing a colleague in his office, in breach of social-distancing rules.
Mr Javid previously tweeted that he had received the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.
A Public Health England study found two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine was 60% effective at stopping symptomatic disease from the Delta variant, which is now dominant across the UK. Two jabs of the Pfizer vaccine was 88% effective.
How are Covid rules changing on Monday?
Profile: Sajid Javid
Five ways to avoid catching coronavirus indoors
A separate analysis from PHE found the vaccines were highly effective against preventing hospitalisations from the same variant, with two doses of the Pfizer jab 96% effective and the AstraZeneca jab 92%.
England's deputy chief medical officer, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, said vaccines were not 100% effective but were likely to have saved about 30,000 lives in the UK.
He told the BBC: "We still need to keep going with these vaccines because they've completely changed the landscape in terms of the numbers of people going into hospital and, very much so, the numbers of people dying. They're still a massive success."
Lateral flow tests provide a quick result, using a device similar to a pregnancy test and are intended for use in those without symptoms, according to the NHS. PCR tests are mainly used when people have coronavirus symptoms or have already had a positive lateral flow result, and are sent to laboratories to be checked. The NHS suggests people do a lateral flow test twice a week to check if they have the virus.
A chart showing fewer people are being admitted to hospital now than in autumn 2020
The health secretary's announcement comes as the government prepares to go ahead with the final lifting of lockdown restrictions in England on Monday.
Social-distancing rules will end, although government guidelines advise face coverings should still be worn in enclosed spaces such as in shops and on public transport, while pubs and bars should be table service only.
Jeremy Hunt, the chairman of the Commons health select committee, warned there was a danger that England may have to go back into lockdown in the autumn if hospitalisation rates continued to increase during the summer.
Mr Hunt, a former health secretary, said the situation facing the NHS was "very serious".
"The warning light on the NHS dashboard is not flashing amber, it is flashing red," he told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.
Banner image reading 'more about coronavirus'
LOOK-UP TOOL: How many cases in your area?
LOCKDOWN RULES: What are they and when will they end?
VACCINE: When will I get the jab?
Banner
One scientist advising the government said the country could be facing a "protracted period" of rising cases running into the autumn.
Prof John Edmunds, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said new infections could reach 100,000 a day within weeks.
Prof Van-Tam warned the pandemic would carry on for a while and "there will be further twists and turns".
He added: "This is going to be a bumpy winter at times but, providing people don't tear the pants out of it and they go in a cautious, steady, gradual way, one hopes we'll be OK."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57874744

Sajid Javid tests positive for Covid: Double-jabbed Health Secretary, 51, is self-isolating at home despite getting his second dose of AstraZeneca vaccine on May 16th

Is the vaccine working as intended?

Also, free flu jab this year.

Free flu jab will be offered to more than 35 million people this winter including ALL secondary school pupils as UK faces double threat of Covid and influenza

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/17/record-35m-people-will-be-offered-free-flu-jab-to-ease-pressure-on-nhs
GenshinRosariaJul 17, 2021 11:10 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 17, 2021 11:10 AM

Nov 2008
60%?

That's lower than Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J (Moderna being the worst of the three). I hate to see the Sinovac results.

Jul 17, 2021 11:28 AM

Jul 2012
To answer your question, as far as we know yes because there's nothing that would definitively point to the contrary.

If it's between 64-74% effective against symptomatic variations then it's about the equivalent of losing a game of rock paper scissors and if the worst symptom they're feeling is "grogginess" then there's the argument to be made that it could have helped reduce symptoms as intended.

Of course logically it's impossible to say what symptoms they would have had without the vaccine but the clinical trials on this vaccine found it reduced hospitalization rates by 86%.
Jul 17, 2021 11:31 AM

Jan 2009
>Health Secretary Sajid Javid says he has tested positive for Covid-19 and is suffering "very mild" symptoms. Mr Javid, who said he had received both vaccine doses

obviously the vaccine is working since it reduces 90 plus percent of severe hospitalization and death

get vaccinated OP youre starting to become a right winger
Jul 17, 2021 12:37 PM

Jul 2021
What do you think of the anecdotal accounts of people becoming seriously ill and some even dying days later after the vaccine? I've come across many stories of people feeling very sick for days afterwards.

Mike Yeadon, the former vice president of Pfizer also spoke out against the vaccination.

Currently, I know they've added warning labels about heart inflammation and one of the vaccines causes blood clotting?
The AstraZeneca vaccine was also suspended for a time in european countries due to this issue.
What is being touted around is that the potential benefits of the vaccine outweigh the known and potential risks, but we still don't know what the long term risks are. I remember reading something of the nature about an increased risk in potential blood clot and stoke issues.

If you're young and healthy the hospitalization rate is low. Most people in that bracket recover by themselves at home.

Also read something about the statistics being misleading for the amount of covid-related deaths. For instance, if you get into a car accident and die, that will fall under a covid death. It's something of that nature.

There's a lot of misinformation out there and i'm aware of the fact checking websites, but who fact checks the fact checkers. Just so much to navigate through.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.