Forum Settings
Forums

MIT Predicted in 1972 That Society Will Collapse This Century. New Research Shows We’re on Schedule.

New
Jul 15, 2021 6:27 AM

Jan 2009
In 1972, a team of MIT scientists got together to study the risks of civilizational collapse. Their system dynamics model published by the Club of Rome identified impending ‘limits to growth’ (LtG) that meant industrial civilization was on track to collapse sometime within the 21st century, due to overexploitation of planetary resources.

Limits to growth

The study was published in the Yale Journal of Industrial Ecology in November 2020 and is available on the KPMG website. It concludes that the current business-as-usual trajectory of global civilization is heading toward the terminal decline of economic growth within the coming decade—and at worst, could trigger societal collapse by around 2040.

The risk of collapse

Herrington’s new analysis examines data across 10 key variables, namely population, fertility rates, mortality rates, industrial output, food production, services, non-renewable resources, persistent pollution, human welfare, and ecological footprint. She found that the latest data most closely aligns with two particular scenarios, ‘BAU2’ (business-as-usual) and ‘CT’ (comprehensive technology).

“BAU2 and CT scenarios show a halt in growth within a decade or so from now,” the study concludes. “Both scenarios thus indicate that continuing business as usual, that is, pursuing continuous growth, is not possible. Even when paired with unprecedented technological development and adoption, business as usual as modelled by LtG would inevitably lead to declines in industrial capital, agricultural output, and welfare levels within this century.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3xw3x/new-research-vindicates-1972-mit-prediction-that-society-will-collapse-soon

humanity had a good run, time to go back to the Stone Age (Dr. Stone)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 15, 2021 7:14 AM

Sep 2018
It will happen, people who are teenagers now will be living in an unimaginable world when they are 50. The trouble the the biggest per person polluter only employs presidents in their mid 70s who are hardly worrying about 50 years from now. They just want to milk everything for today.

I wish chemtrails were real then I'd make everyone infertile and then you'd need an IQ test to have a baby.
I find it weird you need a licence for so many things yet we have 30 year olds with 8 kids by 6 different fathers or grandmothers in their 20s.
Jul 15, 2021 7:18 AM

Mar 2008
If it were just the shitty parts of society then I say let it burn.
Jul 15, 2021 9:01 AM

Jan 2009
QPR said:
It will happen, people who are teenagers now will be living in an unimaginable world when they are 50. The trouble the the biggest per person polluter only employs presidents in their mid 70s who are hardly worrying about 50 years from now. They just want to milk everything for today.

I wish chemtrails were real then I'd make everyone infertile and then you'd need an IQ test to have a baby.
I find it weird you need a licence for so many things yet we have 30 year olds with 8 kids by 6 different fathers or grandmothers in their 20s.

traed said:
If it were just the shitty parts of society then I say let it burn.

im becoming a doomer too lol
Jul 15, 2021 11:05 AM

Mar 2011
Come on, we have the tech to make dragon balls soon. We'll just make that one wish count by putting it towards replenishing the planet's resources

Also, this sounds like proactive environmentalist who say Paris Accords and Re/up cycling are great but its already too late to save the world cause we're already living in the dead one. Decomposition looks like what we're already living with, till the time comes for us to fade towards the end.

SilverstormJul 15, 2021 11:13 AM
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jul 15, 2021 11:52 AM
Nov 2020
It has become increasingly clear that we as a species have now arrived at a crossroads: survival or extinction? It might sound outlandish, but current issues may form part of the Great Filter that hypothetically would plague other intelligent civilizations as well.
Jul 15, 2021 1:09 PM

Nov 2008
QPR said:

China is the biggest polluter, the US is second. Also, the only people who have a chance of election and aren't batshit insane are the older people, in the US that is. We don't have the luxury of sane, young, people with good chances of election.

Jul 15, 2021 1:55 PM

Dec 2008
It’s about time. :)

Time for humans to be ready to be extinct. I can’t wait for this day and laugh it out loud.
Jul 15, 2021 2:05 PM

Apr 2018
I don't buy it. People have been saying that "the world is gonna end" since forever, but it almost never happens. We also can't put all of our faith on ONE document regarding the 1972 MIT report, so there is certainly a possibility that KPMG is not correct.

Besides, even if the document is 100% correct, it concluded that we still have enough time to change the trajectory, even if it's only like a decade or so. Whenever there's a colossal challenge in front of us that needs to be dealt with IMMEDIATELY, we usually manage to over come it (COVID being a great example, where we managed to create a vaccine against in only like a year or so); and judging by the amount of time people have spent spreading environmental awareness, I certainly think that most people will be inclined to help.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't worry at all (fear is what drives survival, after all) but being a doomer is probably just gonna accelerate this process even more.
Jul 15, 2021 5:07 PM
Nov 2020
Migaloo said:
I don't buy it. People have been saying that "the world is gonna end" since forever, but it almost never happens. We also can't put all of our faith on ONE document regarding the 1972 MIT report, so there is certainly a possibility that KPMG is not correct.

Besides, even if the document is 100% correct, it concluded that we still have enough time to change the trajectory, even if it's only like a decade or so. Whenever there's a colossal challenge in front of us that needs to be dealt with IMMEDIATELY, we usually manage to over come it (COVID being a great example, where we managed to create a vaccine against in only like a year or so); and judging by the amount of time people have spent spreading environmental awareness, I certainly think that most people will be inclined to help.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't worry at all (fear is what drives survival, after all) but being a doomer is probably just gonna accelerate this process even more.

Agree with your viewpoint.
Jul 16, 2021 12:21 AM

Sep 2018
Hoppy said:

China is the biggest polluter, the US is second. Also, the only people who have a chance of election and aren't batshit insane are the older people, in the US that is. We don't have the luxury of sane, young, people with good chances of election.

Per person it is the US. Only NA, Australia and a couple of 3rd world countries are really bad.
CO2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita#/media/File:CO2_emissions_per_capita,_2017_(Our_World_in_Data).svg
Plastic
https://www.envirotech-online.com/news/business-news/44/breaking-news/plastic-waste-per-person-which-countries-are-the-worst/53698
US tried to dump more than half to other countries to fiddle the figures but they are worse in the world.

China is bad for coal power stations though.
Jul 16, 2021 4:48 AM

Apr 2012
I hear every year that we are living in the worst time and that we will all soon come to an end. But despite the fact that civilization is getting worse and worse, the world still exists.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.