Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 6, 2008 6:27 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Garma's girlfriend fell HEAD-FIRST INTO THE GROUND. Damn!

Also, why are refugees always stupid in films and TV? Always! "I'm leaving the ship, I wanna live in a God-forsaken desert, yeah!"
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 28, 2008 7:11 PM

Oct 2007
Ah I was thinking the same thing. The refugees were so friggin dumb, thank God they're finally outta there.

Gundam busted out yet another new weapon, the javelin =)

Dec 4, 2008 6:10 PM

Sep 2007
Cihan said:
"I'm leaving the ship, I wanna live in a God-forsaken desert, yeah!"

It's so true. What retards, rofl.

Char doesn't take any of that crap, though. He doesn't care if you're a civilian, or a refugee, or an old man, or what. You get in his range, you might as well start digging your own grave. XD
Nov 12, 2009 10:43 PM

Oct 2009
wtf is with Char, c'mon, sniping unarmed civilians? And why didn't he finish off the Gundam? It was laying on the ground totally disabled.

Also, lol at Amuro seeing the gaw coming from 90 miles away and not bothering to move.

Looks like Zeon is busting out a new weapon in the next episode. I guess the gundam won't be as hideously over powered anymore.
Nov 12, 2009 11:05 PM

Sep 2007
JuicyBuddha said:
I guess the gundam won't be as hideously over powered anymore.
Mar 11, 2010 9:35 PM

May 2007
Well that was actually a little underwhelming. Also Amuro has super hearing and a strange guilt problem, he didn't lead Garma to death, heck the White Base Shot him, Amuro was at the least fault.

Finally, I think this is the first time they mentioned that the Zeon's wanted a dictatorship, I just figured they wanted independence.
My anime list
Jul 28, 2010 5:29 AM

May 2008
Icelina fell head off and Amuro just stare, wtf?
Char, what a bastard, shoting at unarmed refugees, though they were stupid for taking off the White Base anyway~ Deserved it~
Aug 12, 2010 8:19 PM
Jun 2010
I don't get what happened in the end. What happened to Icelina before she fell ? She tried to shot but for some reason she fainted.
supersayenAug 12, 2010 8:23 PM

Oct 9, 2010 8:42 AM

Aug 2009
.... Char! I am disappointed! >=(
Nov 8, 2010 1:11 PM

Feb 2010
The Fugitives really keep getting stupider ^^
But I really liked the music in this episode :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 11, 2010 10:03 PM

Sep 2009
supersayen said:
I don't get what happened in the end. What happened to Icelina before she fell ? She tried to shot but for some reason she fainted.

I'm assuming she suffered internal damage during the crash.
Makes sense to me.
Internal injuries always deal out critial damage right in the middle of a speech.

A few WTF moments here.
Why did Char shoot the civilians? I suppose he probably thought they were Feddie soldiers. He wouldn't know there were civilians on board.

When Amuro first mentioned the javelin...I figured it would be some kind of beam to make up for the extra length. Didn't expect the metal to suddenly grow instead.
-laughs-
Feb 17, 2011 12:32 PM

Jun 2009
Aside from a few "huh!?" moments like how Iceliana ended up on the ship ("Let me, an untrained civilian, go into battle with you to avenge my lover!" Okay!), Amuro's super hearing, and Char randomly shooting civilians (sabinlerose seems to be on the right track, though), this was still a pretty good episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 10, 2011 5:51 PM

Sep 2008
supersayen said:

I think she slipped and fell head first.

insan3soldiern said:
Aside from a few "huh!?" moments like how Iceliana ended up on the ship ("Let me, an untrained civilian, go into battle with you to avenge my lover!" Okay!), Amuro's super hearing, and Char randomly shooting civilians (sabinlerose seems to be on the right track, though), this was still a pretty good episode.

same here
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 28, 2011 7:35 PM
May 2011
Char's a murderer!!! Then we get a couple seconds of a gunfight. And Icelina landing directly on her head was somewhat disturbing.

I guess they really meant it when they said both sides lost half their populations. All of these 3 on 3 fights are making me think that both armies only have about 100 soldiers each.
Feb 15, 2012 2:57 AM

May 2009
Sabinlerose said:
Why did Char shoot the civilians? I suppose he probably thought they were Feddie soldiers. He wouldn't know there were civilians on board.
I can only hope this is true, otherwise:
Zepwich said:
.... Char! I am disappointed! >=(
Mar 4, 2012 6:19 AM
Nov 2010
So Char is shooting innocent (and stupid) civilians now. Although, I agree with most of you, he probably thought they were soldiers.
I wonder what he is going to do now that the Zabi family is going against him. Also, what is he really planning, what are his true intentions???
Mar 12, 2012 12:47 AM

Oct 2009
Char is showing his true dark side now.
Apr 22, 2012 10:54 AM

Apr 2009
Those civilians are just silly. Or maybe they love sandstorms.

After breaking his image last episode, Char is now doing whatever he pleases it seems.

For something so badly animated, that fall sure made me cringe.
Dec 22, 2012 8:41 AM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:

Pretty much the same thoughts. Though, strangely, I didn't even think about how Amuro could hear Iceliana this time. And, shit, despite there being no blood and all, that fall in slow motion was....fairly uncomfortable.

I think this episode was scrapped from the movies though....I guess Tomino realized how stupid it was to have a civilian go into battle like that. I suppose he couldn't come up with something better.
Ston3_FreeN7Dec 22, 2012 8:44 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 20, 2013 4:12 PM

Feb 2012
mitamaking said:
Also Amuro has super hearing and a strange guilt problem, he didn't lead Garma to death, heck the White Base Shot him, Amuro was at the least fault.

Amuro had no idea it was to do with Garma, he didn't know who this woman was or who she wanted revenge for. It could've been any of the people Amuro had killed for all he knew.
Jul 3, 2013 6:59 AM

Sep 2008
I hope those civilians have good life in middle of desert.

I hope that Char shot civies because he thought they were soldiers. Otherwise he seems to be a dick. First killing Garma and now shooting civilians? I wonder what Zeon leadership is going to do with him...
Feb 26, 2014 7:33 PM

Mar 2013
Poor Icelina, she fell down like a Saint Seiya character: HEAD FIRST.

I'm surprised how Amuro and company don't care at all about killing. Kamille bitched a lot about it in Zeta.
Feb 26, 2014 7:42 PM

Mar 2008
TRI_Mike said:
I'm surprised how Amuro and company don't care at all about killing. Kamille bitched a lot about it in Zeta.
You're watching them backwards? Travesty!
Amuro & co have to fight for their lives in a real war. Kamille was a civilian who got himself mixed up in a civil war. He also has a girl's name, what can one expect?
Feb 26, 2014 8:01 PM

Nov 2012
TRI_Mike said:
Wait.............. so then how come Bright had to slap him a bunch of times?
Jun 1, 2014 12:47 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode :D

a few wtf moments. I agree, why would they let an a civilian went to battle despite the lost of his lover??? You would think Icelina's servants or father would have stopped her before leaving for battle.

Was expecting Char with his Zaku, but just some airflight battle :\

I'm surprised he shot the civilians! He probably thought it was some White Base forces.

Seems the head of Zeon demoted his rank??! Char would surely be pissed!

Like Garma, Icelina went head on despite knowing they'll die in battle.

And yeah, she probably fell due to internal injuries(should have at least showed some blood on her), still that fall was in slow motion, i thought she didn't got hurt or anything.

The disturbing part of me is when Amuro and his team is burying her body. He has some internal questions like why is she out to kill him, and what was her name and so.

I guess Amuro will never know now :(

In any case each episode is getting much more intense!! Can't wait for more episdes!!!
Aug 1, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2013
Wtf Char?!! Shooting those poor refugees. Not cool buddy.
Mar 3, 2015 4:39 PM

Nov 2011
Time for politics 101. Today's topic: "The difference between dictatorships and absolute monarchies"

To put it bluntly... there is no difference! Or, to be clearer, there is very little difference beyond connotations. An absolute monarchy has one person who holds complete power over the state, and passes on this power through their bloodline. The throne can be claimed by outsiders through violence. A dictatorship has one person who holds complete power over the state, and passes on this power through their bloodline or hierarchy. Their rule can be overthrown by outsiders through violence.

The only real difference is how these are perceived. "Monarchy" is used when the rule is being portrayed as a good thing; "dictatorship" is used when the rule is being portrayed as a bad thing. In reality, either can be oppressive or benevolent. You can have an oppressive monarch, a benevolent monarch, an oppressive dictator, or a benevolent dictator. In practice they all have the same authority. Some may claim that it's only a dictatorship if the power is claimed "illegitimately", though (again) in reality, a "legitimate" claim to power is rare for monarchies as well.

So, long story short, when this show says "Zeon wants to impose their dictatorship on Earth", that is nothing but loaded wording which doesn't actually tell us whether Zeon is good or bad as a government. We've been told before that they were fighting for freedom, implying oppression was taking place before. My point is, until we know more about what the rulers of Zeon are like, we can't make any judgements regarding whether Zeon as a whole is good or bad.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Politics aside, I agree that some parts of this episode were wonky; Amuro's super-hearing bothered me the most, but allowing Icelina on that ship in the first place is pretty unbelievable. As for Char, I don't think he knew they were civilians, but it's hard to say for certain. I wonder how he'll react to his demotion.
Mar 25, 2015 4:01 AM

Mar 2013
Beatnik said:

Good riddance
Icelina's death was...special
Sep 14, 2015 4:01 AM

Jun 2009
These fucking refugees, man. At least they won't be bothering anyone anymore...

mitamaking said:
Well that was actually a little underwhelming. Also Amuro has super hearing and a strange guilt problem, he didn't lead Garma to death, heck the White Base Shot him, Amuro was at the least fault.

He didn't even hear who the vengeance was for, only that it was on him. He had no idea she was supposed to be avenging Garma.
Nov 3, 2015 4:14 PM

Nov 2012
Beatnik said:
Yeah that was pretty stupid.
sayami said:
Icelina fell head first and Amuro just stare, wtf?
For a moment there I thought he was going to do an amazing feat and catch her from metter away like Char's kick a few episodes back xD
Nov 12, 2015 10:45 PM

Dec 2014
Them refugees are annoying as hell. Char should've just killed them all.
Apr 14, 2016 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
Even the fate of Icelina was fulfilled, the facts narrated in the narrative are still shrouded in mystery, especially those related to Char. The narrative seems closer to that told in other Gundam series of subsequent to this, the looting has not yet late, oh well! Who knows what will happen to Char and Amuro and his companions.
May 19, 2016 5:34 AM

Jul 2008
My god these refugees are morons...at this point you want to commit suicide, be my guest.

As for Iselina, what the heck happened? Was she shot from there? She was blinded was grief but man I guess it makes idiots of us all. If there was some explanation as to how she fell I'd be more satisfied but as it stands that was so stupid.
Jul 12, 2016 4:38 PM

May 2012
Damn that ending :/ those refugees are also quite stepping in the way to be honest!

Let's see what's next.
Aug 30, 2016 9:24 PM

Feb 2012
Amuro's first look at the second order effects of his actions.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
0 Mobile Suit kills this episode
16 kills total.
Sep 30, 2016 12:19 AM

Jun 2013
Even though she was incredibly stupid, i did feel a bit bad for the girl, however why are all the old people and refugees so fucking stupid?!!!!!
Apr 7, 2017 12:03 PM

May 2015
That was kinda pathetic of Iselina. Still can't say I don't feel sorry for her; I honestly can't decide whether I want to root for Zeon or the Federation.

Ever since I started watching this show, I had an impression Char would sooner or later expose some freelancing tendencies. He's a dick, but at the same time it's interesting to see what is he going to do next.
Aug 15, 2017 6:06 AM
Jul 2017
You know she dead.

Good episode. Get the move on white base.
Nov 29, 2017 8:06 PM

Nov 2017
After I saw the painting of himself in his room, I'm sorta glad Char tricked Garma.
Mar 15, 2018 6:43 AM

Nov 2016
Not even a Gundam can stop the power of love.Sad episode.

And Char will get punished, wonder if he can talk his way out and avoid it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 27, 2018 4:30 PM

Jun 2014
Finally, the refugees are off the ship!

Also, Garma's lover is dead. What a sad way to go, but it was her choice, I suppose. Now, Char perhaps doesn't know that Zeon wants his head. I wonder what will happen.

Mar 7, 2019 1:54 AM

Feb 2017
I didn't expect Garma to be such a young member of his family. His brothers are far older. Knowing that he was the youngest would have given his death more tragedy had we known beforehand.
Feb 20, 2020 12:35 PM

May 2018
The girl's neck should have clearly snapped when she hit the ground head first.

And the refugees have -100 IQ
Sep 7, 2020 6:17 PM

Jul 2017
This episode opened the story up more, revealing more of the inner workings. I'm glad to see some more drama instead of just "Char is attacking!!" every episode.
Sep 11, 2020 6:37 PM

Aug 2017
At least the dumb refugees subplot is over....Honestly, they're annoying. Iceliana's death is sad but I wonder how she ended up on the ship when she was previously detained lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 3, 2020 5:20 PM

Jun 2016
Zeon wants to hold a dictatorship over all of humanity as is stated in the dub.

I found the two-sided conflict dynamic and engaging with the thrilling battle on Amuro's and Ryu's side; leaping onto the ships, and the Whitebase chaos with Char.

Character wise, having a grief stricken woman die in front of Amuro may set the now more-confident Amuro back having faced the ramifications of their actions in such a visceral way. And Char shot refugees! I now realize that assuming it was on purpose was somewhat naive thanks to the thread, but it made for a strong moment. To depict the awful effects of war as Char drops civilians from afar and hardly comments on it, and to make Char more engaging. He's ruthless, able to drink with his friend before leading him into his death or to be depicted shooting civilians, and that makes him feel very unpredictable and capable of anything.

For a small comment, I love the running gag of Bright stealing the messages they receive before Sayla can read them. It's cute and funny. Stuff like that helps make the crew feel alive.
Jan 24, 2021 1:01 AM

May 2012
Worth noting that when they were burying Icelina, Kai was the first one to start shoveling. Little things like that are making me like him more and more.
Jun 5, 2021 9:10 AM

Nov 2013
Well, shit. She was so young and pretty.
GvendolineJun 5, 2021 1:36 PM
Jul 26, 2021 9:01 PM

Oct 2012
Well, that ended rather anti-climatic. I was kinda hoping Icelina would actually talk to Amuro and realize he's just a boy and not really at fault. Her just fainting and falling to her death was a bit... convenient. Though I guess she suffered heavy wounds after the crash and we just didn't really see it.

Char just shooting civilians like that was pretty ruthless, lol. Not sure what he was even planning to do there on foot.

And we finally get a glimpse into the Zabi family who will probably play a huge role in the next episodes. Curious about the new weapon and antagonist of next episode.
Oct 28, 2022 7:26 AM

May 2019
Okay the refugees are so irresponsible, I get it but they shouldn't have put everyone and themselves in danger. Also, seeing Garma's family and Icelina's grief really exemplifies that humans, pain and innocence are on both sides of war. Sure, they're trying to kill each other but both feel in the right. There are kids and those who just want to be in love and live their lives on both sides, most anime makes everything so black and white and I appreciate the humanization of everything in this show despite the characters still feeling a bit flat.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
Apr 19, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.