Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 25, 2021 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, the finals of the tournament is no pushover. I guess both Chief and Joe/Nomad knew that but the competition itself is fierce for the prize.

I got a new sense of respect for the Chief in these latest episode though. He's becoming an admirable fighter who isn't backing down from any challenge and keeping his promises in the ring. RIP Chief.
Stark700Apr 25, 2021 8:24 AM
Apr 25, 2021 8:29 AM

Jul 2017
The aftermath of the Molotov fire attack from the disserving kids under Mio must've washed the immigrant community hard, but of course not, glad that Chief is still standing strong.

The more Chief displays his humanity, the more I'm starting to love his character. Also, Carlo's grave with the hummingbird stone, more than a reference to the Nomad's OP imagery, I like how it's symbolism in every moment of the immigrants' love for their homeland.

The finals of the tournament with Crazy Mamiya vs. Real Boxer Chief, it's indeed a crazy fight towards the end. Fouls and all, nothing is fair play when in the ring.

Mio got his redemption from Takubon, Chief has truly seen his heydays with Joe, and the immigrant community is one and whole once again...except with the demise of Chief in his sleep, leaving his Gear behind, and Joe onward with facing his fears once and for all.

Now I'm dying to get a hummingbird for a momentum of legacy.
Apr 25, 2021 8:33 AM
Apr 2018
Rest in peace Chief
Apr 25, 2021 8:37 AM

Jun 2019
Glad to see that Chief is being helped quite a lot by Joe. Chief really had to fight a hard one in the finals especially against such a witty opponent who knows where to strike both physically and mentally.

Happy to see that Chief got the better end of it. He surely made his son proud there. That hug was so special to Joe as well, Chief calling Joe his family touched my heart.

You were a great man... Chief. You made everyone proud. Thanks for your service.
Apr 25, 2021 8:38 AM
Sep 2015
It doesn't take a genius to predict that something very very bad will happened in this episode. Yet, my heart was still not prepare enough when it happened. Chief and Joe deserve a rematch (while they're still alive, not a match in heaven, for god's sake!)

But at least I kinda expect things to look better from now on. This show wouldn't cruel enough to pull off two bad endings, would it?
Apr 25, 2021 8:49 AM
Oct 2016
That was extremely bittersweet. Chief wins the tournament saving the immigrants from having to leave their new home but he dies that same night. Its like Chief was holding on long enough to save those he cared about, then once they were safe he passed. Very shocking and sad I definitely didn't see that coming. Chief was such a likeable guy and so inspirational for Joe. Chief really helped save Joe in a way, showed him there's still things to fight for. Awesome match with Chief beating that prick up, rocky waters to start but Chief took over and ended it. I'm excited now to see Joe return to his old life so we can see how things have changed there. This rebirth arc for Joe is now complete, time to see where it will go.
Apr 25, 2021 9:09 AM

Aug 2020
RIP Chief you died a hero :(
Apr 25, 2021 9:22 AM
Jan 2021
they really didn't have to do chief like that :(
Apr 25, 2021 9:55 AM

Nov 2016
That's why he was afraid of falling asleep.

You knew it was coming which made it hurt more. Fortunately, his fight wasn't in vain. He went out on a high note and with a smile on his face. Rip Chief, one of the most human characters I've seen in recent anime.

Not to mention the impact he had on Joe's redemption. The kind words from a place of love were a nice touch too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 25, 2021 9:56 AM
Dec 2017
Not gonna forget you for the rest of the season, Chief. As much as I don't like characters being killed off, this one felt in place. Chief achieved what he set out to do and now he's off to see his family once again. They're proud of you, Chief.
4 episodes in and this sequel is already something special. Can't wait to see what's gonna happen next.
Apr 25, 2021 10:13 AM

Dec 2018
It was an incredible episode and Chief dying felt very natural because, even though it was sad, at the end of the day we are talking about a sport, that is already dangerous in real life, being enhanced by the "gears" and Chief was not exactly young either so his body just was not able to endure it after the match ended.
Apr 25, 2021 10:17 AM

Aug 2018
Chief calling joe family was heart-warming.

This season is shaping up to be something special.
AtlosJun 20, 2021 10:04 AM
_______I like rocks__
Apr 25, 2021 10:22 AM
Aug 2020
how did the chief die?
Apr 25, 2021 10:30 AM

Aug 2018
arimaxmem said:
how did the chief die?
I'm guessing from the injuries he sustained in his fight
_______I like rocks__
Apr 25, 2021 10:30 AM
Jun 2020
This arc did literally everything right
Apr 25, 2021 10:31 AM
Aug 2020
Atlos said:
arimaxmem said:
how did the chief die?

oh, that makes sense
Apr 25, 2021 10:31 AM

Feb 2018
Ah man, did they really have to go and kill off Chief like that? Joe was leaving anyway. And I guess we won't be getting that Joe vs Chief rematch...
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Apr 25, 2021 10:34 AM

Aug 2014
this season is very different from the first megalo box, but i am enjoying this one much more and enjoy where this is going
Apr 25, 2021 10:58 AM

May 2016
Had a feeling it would turn out like this. F for Chief.... :(
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Apr 25, 2021 11:17 AM

Sep 2019
Rip Chief. I'm glad he was able to buy the land in the end.
Apr 25, 2021 11:41 AM
Jul 2019
dope ep. rabbit punches in pro boxing are banned because it can cause spinal damage or in worst case, death via brain stem separation. chief in his final moments must've been in immense agony after taking tons of rabbit punches from a geared opponent.

rip chief you were a real one
Apr 25, 2021 11:49 AM
May 2019
"If the flower of the soul blooms, love will not be lost" roughly what the title of the episode is. The ending was predictable, especially the flag prior. But I'll be damned if it wasn't a good episode. Hopefully Joe can move forward.
Apr 25, 2021 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
damn as soon as Chief said that he’s afraid to go to sleep....RIP
Apr 25, 2021 12:06 PM

Jul 2015
arimaxmem said:
Atlos said:

oh, that makes sense

Seriously, he didnt die for the injuries he sustained in his fight. He was "perfectly" good at the party that night. Also, the damage he received was not particularly severe compared to what we have seen in any Joe battle.

Now, I really NEED that we discuss about Chief death. And I can't believe no one is talking about this.

In this chapter, Chief asks again if he was right to leave the country with his family and the fact that he is trying to build a new home. Somehow, when meeting Joe, the dream of him revives, but also the feelings towards his son and wife. I think he partly recalled the feelings of guilt. After winning, Chief says that he is afraid of falling asleep, and waking up to find that it was all a dream. It gives me the impression that Chief felt that he had fulfilled his duty and had settled his dream, and was prepared to die to be reunited with his family that he loved so much and that he had so present every day. He seems like he is going in peace to sleep ... as if ready to "go".

However, on the other hand, it seems that Chief wanted to continue his dream and fight Joe again. So I am somewhat confused. If one thing is clear, it is that Chief did not die from combat injuries, so I would like to hear your opinions.

So... yes, I think Chief commits suicide, and that the anime shows it very subtly. Besides, Joe doesn't seem surprised at all, nor does the boy's mother...on the contrary, it seems that they can even understand the reasons why he has committed suicide.
BelselApr 25, 2021 12:19 PM
Apr 25, 2021 12:08 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Chief was probably one of the most human feeling characters I've seen in a modern anime. He was so tangible, mighty and fragile in equal measure with a might heart and a voice smoother than hazelnut spread.
Descanse en paz Chief. I hope Joe honors you as you deserve by donning the hummingbird Gear.

This show is the best thing this season. And that's in a season with a lot of very good shows.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 25, 2021 12:46 PM

Jan 2020
Mio is talking a whole lot of shit for someone within boxing distance.

Those death flags. I'm mostly worried about how this could end up affecting Joe. For now it seems like he's more or less at peace with everything, and maybe that's because - in general - Chief appeared to be at peace with this outcome too. But this is another major person in his life whose died. So, this could end up being a slipperly slope. Maybe it'll stop after this arc, but I'm just wary about what we have left with another 9 episodes to cover.

That being said, I also get the impression that Chief died due to the injuries sustained from the match. We didn't see every single second of the fight, so it's fair to assume much of the cheating and illegal moves were probably offscreened. He more than likely took more damage than even we, the audience, saw. His general behavior from the start of the final round up until his death implies he was more or less aware of what was about to happen.

Even before he won his vision was getting hazy and he was sweating like crazy, I'm sure his old age wasn't helping the outcome either. To that degree, you could probably make a case for the years of damage from alcohol as well as those pills that Joe was taking didn't help him being in peak condition. Chief mentions having firsthand knowledge of not mixing alcohol and drugs, and then later Marla mentions she was there when he was coming off it all and remembering how bad it was. I just think he wasn't as sturdy as some people might think, despite his size. No matter how big you are, it just takes one bad hit in the wrong place to do irreversible damage, and Chief took far more than one.

Arguably it's what he wanted anyway, as he was eager to reunite with his family. He seemed like he was mostly just glad that he was able to leave his people with a place to call home before he could move on. At this point, all my speculation is getting out of hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was slowly dying from the heartache anyway. He mentions this episode that his family on the otherside must've asked God to give him a "little more time." Enough time to fulfill what he felt was his duty so that he could rest in peace perhaps?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what is next for Joe.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Apr 25, 2021 12:56 PM

Apr 2009
I honestly don't know if his death was from head trauma or if it was suicide...
Apr 25, 2021 1:02 PM

Nov 2020
Rip chief 😭 he was a legend even in his dying seconds. Getting even closer to sachio’s return
Apr 25, 2021 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
Trefoil said:
I honestly don't know if his death was from head trauma or if it was suicide...

I'm gonna go with head trauma.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 25, 2021 1:09 PM

Jul 2015
commonxreaction said:

Those death flags. I'm mostly worried about how this could end up affecting Joe. For now it seems like he's more or less at peace with everything, and maybe that's because - in general - Chief appeared to be at peace with this outcome too. But this is another major person in his life whose died. So, this could end up being a slipperly slope. Maybe it'll stop after this arc, but I'm just wary about what we have left with another 9 episodes to cover.

That being said, I also get the impression that Chief died due to the injuries sustained from the match. We didn't see every single second of the fight, so it's fair to assume much of the cheating and illegal moves were probably offscreened. He more than likely took more damage than even we, the audience, saw. His general behavior from the start of the final round up until his death implies he was more or less aware of what was about to happen.

Even before he won his vision was getting hazy and he was sweating like crazy, I'm sure his old age wasn't helping the outcome either. To that degree, you could probably make a case for the years of damage from alcohol as well as those pills that Joe was taking didn't help him being in peak condition. Chief mentions having firsthand knowledge of not mixing alcohol and drugs, and then later Marla mentions she was there when he was coming off it all and remembering how bad it was. I just think he wasn't as sturdy as some people might think, despite his size. No matter how big you are, it just takes one bad hit in the wrong place to do irreversible damage, and Chief took far more than one.

Arguably it's what he wanted anyway, as he was eager to reunite with his family. He seemed like he was mostly just glad that he was able to leave his people with a place to call home before he could move on. At this point, all my speculation is getting out of hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was slowly dying from the heartache anyway. He mentions this episode that his family on the otherside must've asked God to give him a "little more time." Enough time to fulfill what he felt was his duty so that he could rest in peace perhaps?

But how can you explain that he was perfectly fine during the party? Do you know what are serious injuries that can cause you to die the next morning? If so, Chief would have had to be hospitalized practically at the end of the fight. Sudden death, while possible, is highly unlikely. On the other hand, although drugs and alcohol have deteriorated his condition, he is well enough to fight at that level and lead an apparently normal life ... that could not explain a sudden death, which as I say, is very unlikely.

In any case, the most important fact is that he is perfectly fine after the fight and during the night at the party. His death can only be explained by suicide or a sudden death perhaps caused by an internal cerebral hemorrhage or a sudden heart attack, but as I say, it would be very unlikely, and just the next day (normally this could happen suddenly some days later o directly in the combat, which would have logically led him to lose the fight and be immediately hospitalized).

I still don't believe that anyone is talking about the mystery of Chief's death, staying only for the most obvious and superficial reasons. Nobody is struck by the reactions of the characters after his death and how quickly everything happens?
BelselApr 25, 2021 1:18 PM
Apr 25, 2021 1:16 PM
Jan 2021
I’m seriously in love with this season, the music is just so good, the story is so good, and the animation looks amazing. Chiefs death being accented by the ed was perfect
Apr 25, 2021 1:18 PM
Oct 2014
Belsel said:
commonxreaction said:

But how can you explain that he was perfectly fine during the party? Do you know what are serious injuries that can cause you to die the next morning? If so, Chief would have had to be hospitalized practically at the end of the fight. Sudden death, while possible, is highly unlikely. On the other hand, although drugs and alcohol have deteriorated his condition, he is well enough to fight at that level and lead an apparently normal life ... that could not explain a sudden death, which as I say, is very unlikely.

In any case, the most important fact is that he is perfectly fine after the fight and during the night at the party. His death can only be explained by suicide or a sudden death perhaps caused by an internal cerebral hemorrhage or a sudden heart attack, but as I say, it would be very unlikely, and just the next day.

happened before in real life so isnt that rare https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Alc%C3%A1zar

he clearly know he was dying, but try it to not worry anyone, he beg for at least one drink but seems like he take painkillers or something because Marla don't allow him to drink. Also he was scared to get some sleep because maybe he took the painkillers but don't make much change of how he really feels.
Apr 25, 2021 1:19 PM

Apr 2020
I hope we do get a little bit more Detail on Chief's Death ...

His character getting wrapped up in 3 Minutes after I was rooting for him, for 3 Episodes,... felt kinda wrong ....
Apr 25, 2021 1:21 PM

Jan 2020
Belsel said:

In any case, the most important fact is that he is perfectly fine after the fight and during the night at the party. His death can only be explained by suicide or a sudden death perhaps caused by an internal cerebral hemorrhage or a sudden heart attack, but as I say, it would be very unlikely, and just the next day (normally this could happen suddenly some days later o directly in the combat, which would have logically led him to lose the fight).

Chief was a bad-ass mother fucker is how I explain it -- I don't believe for a second he was "perfectly" fine during the party. Hence his general morose behavior, and the subtle ask for alcohol (wanting one last drink). I think he just was hiding the bulk of his injuries and pain as to not worry anyone around him. A lot of people hide their injuries or tell themselves that it's not that bad. Though, in Chief's case, he had accomplished what he wanted, and he was ready to reunite with his family. I think to a degree his not saying anything was accepting death so he could see his family again.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Apr 25, 2021 1:21 PM

May 2016
Man the moment he was hit in the back of his head I was on the verge of my couch
RiP Chief.
Apr 25, 2021 1:26 PM

Jul 2015
commonxreaction said:
Belsel said:

In any case, the most important fact is that he is perfectly fine after the fight and during the night at the party. His death can only be explained by suicide or a sudden death perhaps caused by an internal cerebral hemorrhage or a sudden heart attack, but as I say, it would be very unlikely, and just the next day (normally this could happen suddenly some days later o directly in the combat, which would have logically led him to lose the fight).

Chief was a bad-ass mother fucker is how I explain it -- I don't believe for a second he was "perfectly" fine during the party. Hence his general morose behavior, and the subtle ask for alcohol (wanting one last drink). I think he just was hiding the bulk of his injuries and pain as to not worry anyone around him. A lot of people hide their injuries or tell themselves that it's not that bad. Though, in Chief's case, he had accomplished what he wanted, and he was ready to reunite with his family. I think to a degree his not saying anything was accepting death so he could see his family again.

I understand your point of view. But as I say, if he had been so bad he would have been hospitalized, he could not move, or speak, or anything, to give you the idea. It is not something that can be hidden so as not to worry the other XD, not if it is about injuries that can cause you to die. I'm not saying that he was perfect, but without a doubt, he was quite well, in no case to die ... I tell you, he would have lost consciousness, he could not speak or move correctly, he would be disoriented ... he would be hospitalized, not celebrating nor trying to hide his injuries because it is simply impossible XD.

Although this chapter has been exciting and to remember, and the death of Chief gives it an epic touch, precisely I think that Chief's death has been a bit forced and has been dealt with very quickly, to leave a great impression on Joe in the following story arc (especially in the case that the death has been really sudden caused by the injuries a few hours later).
BelselApr 25, 2021 1:34 PM
Apr 25, 2021 1:31 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
His death reminds me the death of honda shigeharu (major) he was normal for a time but at the night.....sometimes it not kill at the moment but some hours late.
Apr 25, 2021 1:33 PM

Mar 2018
Don't like that kid but i wasn't expecting that hitchhiking scene to take that twist yikes

fight was great but the foul shots to the head i knew if he went to sleep it would end bad ffs sake man this show reminds us how fucked racism is

RIP chief he was a real one
Apr 25, 2021 1:40 PM
Mar 2018
Belsel said:
commonxreaction said:

I understand your point of view. But as I say, if he had been so bad he would have been hospitalized, he could not move, or speak, or anything, to give you the idea. It is not something that can be hidden so as not to worry the other XD, not if it is about injuries that can cause you to die. I'm not saying that he was perfect, but without a doubt, he was quite well, in no case to die ... I tell you, he would have lost consciousness, he could not speak or move correctly, he would be disoriented ... he would be hospitalized, not celebrating nor trying to hide his injuries because it is simply impossible XD.

Although this chapter has been exciting and to remember, and the death of Chief gives it an epic touch, precisely I think that Chief's death has been a bit forced and has been dealt with very quickly, to leave a great impression on Joe in the following story arc.

He died because of his injuries, as simple as that. Most likely hematoma caused by head trauma. It's called a lucid interval. A person will have no other complaint other than feeling a bit light-headed. Went to sleep the night and then gone by the morning. Probably won't happen in a normal boxing fight, but this is megalo boxing with upper limb augmentations, so it's quite possible. That's most likely the whole reason why they emphasize those hits to the back of the head (brain) so much. As I said it's a trauma from which you don't really feel much pain but it's actually very severe, him saying he's afraid to fall asleep points towards that as well. Also, what hospitalization are you expecting for someone like him?
Apr 25, 2021 2:06 PM
Jul 2019
RIP to Chief , well how he died ain't that uncommon for boxers.
Horn_dawg_2019Apr 25, 2021 2:11 PM
Apr 25, 2021 2:15 PM

Jul 2015
ElGoblino said:
Belsel said:

Although this chapter has been exciting and to remember, and the death of Chief gives it an epic touch, precisely I think that Chief's death has been a bit forced and has been dealt with very quickly, to leave a great impression on Joe in the following story arc.

He died because of his injuries, as simple as that. Most likely hematoma caused by head trauma. It's called a lucid interval. A person will have no other complaint other than feeling a bit light-headed. Went to sleep the night and then gone by the morning. Probably won't happen in a normal boxing fight, but this is megalo boxing with upper limb augmentations, so it's quite possible. That's most likely the whole reason why they emphasize those hits to the back of the head (brain) so much. As I said it's a trauma from which you don't really feel much pain but it's actually very severe, him saying he's afraid to fall asleep points towards that as well. Also, what hospitalization are you expecting for someone like him?

Ok, I'm taking your point and I appreciate the in-depth explanation on how possible death from injury is. Now I understand Chief's lucidity the night before and that he doesn't have many symptoms despite the severity. In addition, it is true that in Megalobox this can be even more possible, so now I understand the situation better. Thanks for helping me with all your opinions.

Im happy now, although I would have liked that everything had not happened so fast, and had heard a word more from Joe or the child's mother about it, but anyways, its ok.

I can say this is even better than first season and for me is a 20/10 rating. See you around.
BelselApr 25, 2021 2:22 PM
Apr 25, 2021 4:47 PM

Sep 2020
This story arc is now over but I get the feeling that Chief's impact on Joe is going to last up until the final scene of Megalo Box 2.
Apr 25, 2021 5:05 PM
Mar 2021
Dam when he said see u tomorrow I thought joe would leave but dam.
Apr 25, 2021 5:26 PM
Dec 2019
chief dying is the best thing to happen to the show so far lmao
Apr 25, 2021 5:40 PM

Nov 2009
Damn, it's raining in my room right now.
Apr 25, 2021 5:56 PM
Feb 2021
That cut deep. This season is far exceeding the first
Apr 25, 2021 6:17 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
It was a sad way to end Chief's story, but at least he went out on top. He was able to buy the land for the immigrants to live on. I'm glad that Mio saw the error of his ways and decide to turn things around to support his people. The road to redemption for Joe's story starts next week.
Apr 25, 2021 6:29 PM

Dec 2018
A great match with a sad ending
Apr 25, 2021 7:09 PM

Jul 2011
I was having the feeling that Chief would die, when he began to blackout before round 5, and unexpectedly and sadly became truth. For the most sad that this is, is refreshing not being the normal "Everything is fine".
Apr 25, 2021 7:34 PM

Oct 2020
With only 4 episodes of characterization, Chief was a phenomenal character. I'm sad to see him go, I hope his death will have a big effect on Joe.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2021

116 by Meritas »»
Mar 22, 3:21 AM

» Where is Sachio going exactly?

fitSuhaimi - Jun 30, 2021

3 by Ultraobsolete »»
Sep 25, 2023 10:16 PM

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2021

154 by Ultraobsolete »»
Sep 25, 2023 10:15 PM

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2021

63 by Dumb »»
Aug 28, 2023 7:48 PM

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2021

55 by Dumb »»
Aug 28, 2023 6:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.