Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 11, 2021 4:21 PM

May 2018
The funniest part of this episode was the lady getting a haircut and her hairdresser continuously messing it up lol

Congrats on Teio for that win, but it seems like its taken a toll on her... that's not good.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jan 13, 2021 3:05 PM
Sep 2018
As a huge supporter of sports anime and watching the first season of Uma Musume: Pretty Derby, this first episode of the second season got my interest. I like the story about the side character named Tokai Teio. A talented horse girl who wishes to be as good as the Student Council President, Smyboli Rudolf, who is admired her. The backstory of Tokai Teio also helps the viewers see her on screen and wanted to root for her and wanted her to win the race. It actually worked because I feel invested to the characters perspective. (I know some other animated films like Cars 2, when Mater take the spotlight from Lightning McQueen. Literally. And add some spy elements to the movie was misleading and add nothing to the point of the story.) In this anime, it does work as a horse racing anime series. I can understand their names, so I can remember who they are and easy to follow. The only thing that keeps it away from being perfect is because the CGI and character animation doesn't mix well. In the first season, I can probably tell that the way they make a 3D models during the race sequences and performing on stage. They blend in together very nicely and feels like you're actually enjoying it. In this one, it doesn't because is still the same anime and I've seen it so many times before and getting better. The song was pretty catching, but the sound mixing doesn't work well together because the music is louder then the character sing her song. Overall, the first episode was great for story and characters, but not much of the animation and sound mixing. And it was okay for me. I'm not angry or frustrated. I did have a fun time so I can watch the next episode whether is good or not.
Jan 13, 2021 7:19 PM

Apr 2012
Seteal said:
Mormegil said:

Special Week seems like a background character now. Is this a parallel story, or does it take place after the first season?

The horse died during the first season so they decided to cut her out. For me, it's rather eerie or weird how they didn't inherited just some characteristics like the Shipgirls from KanColle with a free (new) history otherwise. Especially after such decisions. Special Week was turned to glue in RL? Ok, then she will be dead for the franchise too. At least the writers refuse to explain what happens with the horsegirls after their career or how they get bred.

On the other hand, I'm not happy with Teio as the MC either. She just doesn't seem strong enough to be able to carry the show. The first episode was nice, but felt like an arc about side characters until the real story proceeds.

Well if the real life counterpart which inspired the MC of the 1st season has passed on then instead of just erasing her completely they just relegated her to background character as a sign of respect because continuing to use her would be in bad taste like beating a dead horse.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 14, 2021 8:16 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Finally, i have a time to watch this, and, yeah, thats good. My horse girl Tokai became the MC and showed her best to win Japan Derby. Even though, there was a several trouble later, related to those winning. Still, its a fun ride to seeing her like that! I hope its not that bad, remembering that Shizuka-chan could overcome a fracture nicely. Tokai must be able to solved that issue too! However, it may impact to the next goal, tho. Oh shit. Then, its looks like, Rudolf and Trainer-san knew whats goin on. They both really sensitives as how something not good happened to Tokai's winning concert dance. I wonder what kind of act they have toward Tokai after that?

Then, about that horse lolis. They both looked pretty determined to be like their idols. Thats cute. While Oguri, still unbeated as a glutony horse girl. Lol, thats too fast! And Scarlet looked changing Golshi positions with those eyes unfortunate scene time. Also, there were several new horse girls that never appeared before. Damn, give me a break! xd

Okay, then, i think thats enough. Lets see next!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 18, 2021 10:00 PM

Sep 2016
bruu i didnt even know this show was back, it felt like ages since then, so excited to see more of the girls compete and do they thing in these races
Facta Non Verba
Jan 29, 2021 9:09 AM

Mar 2013
I'm really not interested anymore because of the main character switch.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 31, 2021 4:24 PM
Nov 2016
Janethan23 said:
Seteal said:

The horse died during the first season so they decided to cut her out. For me, it's rather eerie or weird how they didn't inherited just some characteristics like the Shipgirls from KanColle with a free (new) history otherwise. Especially after such decisions. Special Week was turned to glue in RL? Ok, then she will be dead for the franchise too. At least the writers refuse to explain what happens with the horsegirls after their career or how they get bred.

On the other hand, I'm not happy with Teio as the MC either. She just doesn't seem strong enough to be able to carry the show. The first episode was nice, but felt like an arc about side characters until the real story proceeds.

Well if the real life counterpart which inspired the MC of the 1st season has passed on then instead of just erasing her completely they just relegated her to background character as a sign of respect because continuing to use her would be in bad taste like beating a dead horse.

Started a bit late, but wanted to say something about the MC change; The first season is almost literally the whole career of Special Week(the horse), those were the races that he won, and the ones he lost, being his win at that Japan cup against very hard competitors his big accomplishment. So makes sense that her story ended there, is not because the horse died.
Feb 8, 2021 5:28 AM

Apr 2011
Good to see the girls again after 3 years.

Its not focus on Teio and probably McQueen this time instead of Special Week. Nice to see how popular are the two them and seeing the little girls' delight at seeing their idols. I was looking for Suzuka, but she's in America now. forgot what happened on the first season.

tbh, I was worried accident will happen during the race. Thankfully, its not but a bad foreshadowing has taken place. Well its something she and the rest will have to deal with.
Feb 16, 2021 12:09 PM

Feb 2020
That hairdresser lol.. xD

I was surprised because Special Week isn't the main chararter this time. The first episode was also quite different this time, but it's ok. I hope there will be an interesting plot in this season.

It looks like Teiou already hurt her leg. :/ Poor girl..

Feb 21, 2021 9:56 AM
Jan 2019
The animation is better than the 1st season
Mar 15, 2021 1:30 PM
Mar 2021
First off, the act of changing an animes lead character (in this case - special week) is a gamble. It it totally missed its mark for me, after the 4th episode I've had to practically force myself to watch the rest. Mainly out of respect for how much I enjoyed the first season. sorry guys
May 17, 2021 5:46 PM

Dec 2018
Love the Yuri vibes between Teiou and her future wife McQueen.Rivals? I rather say girlfriends,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

The little horse lesbians are so cute together

May 31, 2021 8:42 AM

Jul 2015
Been a while since I've seen s1 of the horsey girls, both refreshing and sad that special week isn't the main protagonist but Taio for this season. Good to see Teio already having a strong start by winning the japanese derpy even though by the looks of it she injured herself there.

Jul 1, 2021 4:43 AM

Jan 2017
Banging first episode mostly because Special Week isn't the focus anymore, god is she boring and Teiou is more fun to watch

Studio change is quite noticeable with the CGI horses used in the race
May 11, 2022 11:47 AM

May 2016
Sorry i'm probably in the minority here and that is fine but I dropped it because I am not(in ANY anime) a fan of new different characters.
Mar 1, 2023 6:48 AM

Feb 2021
Some really funny moments. Gold Ship is such a character too

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Jun 25, 2023 2:38 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Whoa what a BANGER of an opening episode for season 2!!!! And our new lead for this season is none other than Tokai Teio; and I believe that explains they even higher score that this has gotten in comparison to season 1. Nothing wrong with Special Week, she was great of course. But I think for a lot of people including myself, Teio just is on another level of the likable factor. And unless I missed it, I don't believe they touched on it in season one that it is actually Teio who is the ace of Team Spica. With Suzuka in America, I thought Special Week would be the next best, but I suppose it was Teio all this time. We really didn't get to see anyone else in team spica race in season 1 besides Special Week and Suzuka, so it was hard to tell. Also, Teio was originally in team Rigil right? I forgot why she moved over to Spica. Anyway, doesn't matter, she's here now. She won the derby, but not all is sunshine and rainbows. Something is clearly wrong with her left leg.

Alright so studio change to KAI, and no big difference to the art style and animation, looks almost exactly the same, as good as it was before, maybe even a very small tad bit more refined actually. There is more up-close and obvious uses of cgi, but nothing to really take you out of it really. They didn't use any cgi for Teio's concert at the end, so that's good. Speaking of, it didn't last long, but are you kidding me with that post-race performance?? That was low-key some damn good animation. And not to mention the song that Teio was singing itself the tension building with everyone realizing something is wrong, and then we get the rolling credits for the end of the first episode. I love it when they do that, makes it so hype.

Really looking forward to this season with Teio as the main lead. From that low 2.3/5 average rating for the episode, I'm assuming it's just some kind of filler extra type episode that they put at the end like with season one, which kind of tarnished it a bit. I think I will leave that episode out of my overall score, because I'm expecting to love this, and don't want anything to ruin it.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 23, 2023 1:55 PM
Dec 2020
Bueno ya mire todos los capítulos esto es 10 de 10, mínimo top 10 animes de la década.
Nov 15, 2023 3:14 PM

Jan 2021
Well this was extremely disappointing. I can't believe I have to vote I hated this episode after how good season 1 was but here we are. I can't believe they got rid of Special Week as the main character. You spend all this time getting attached to her and they suddenly sweep the rug out from under you and throw her away and replace her with some no-name background character from the first season that barely had any role. I seriously couldn't even remember Teio's name by the end of the season because she was so irrelevant. Legitimately pissed off at this and will end up just passing on this entire season, and I guess season 3 as well judging by how Special Week is listed only as "supporting" for that one too. I get they got like 10,000 characters in their game they want to show off but pick one as the star and stick with that one. Also if McQueen is the new Suzuka I also don't give a damn for her since, like Teio, she was a non-character in season 1 that just came in out of nowhere halfway through and did nothing. I don't know why they're trying to push these two as the main stars now. Was so looking forward to this season but I'm just skipping it now.
Shrimp_TailNov 15, 2023 3:18 PM
Jan 7, 5:53 AM

Aug 2010
Reply to JiangHaoyi1979
Oh man, they just used the same plot, but different characters.
My thoughts exactly. I kept hearing how S2 blows S1 out of the water but uh. Seems like the same thing but with more bad CGI lol
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2021

53 by Kuroniiro »»
May 4, 2:16 PM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 11, 2021

49 by Kira_yoshikage04 »»
Mar 24, 12:55 AM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2021

59 by itsmepee »»
Mar 12, 11:03 AM

» The hairdresser is underappreciated

Allsaints112 - Feb 2

3 by AntiSadboi »»
Feb 2, 10:18 PM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2021

96 by moxxipoxxi »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.