Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 24, 2020 8:06 PM
Dec 2018
Dang this hit so much harder than the manga, although I've always felt super sad hearing Yuki's back story but I think the anime portrayed the hopelessness Yuki felt very well (made me tear up and cry like a bby). I'm so grateful that the whole manga is being animated T o T
Aug 24, 2020 8:30 PM

Mar 2016
Really sad episode showcased what Yuki went through as a child. An illness little kid who believed he was hated by everybody, and his only interaction was with someone who tormented him and losing his new friends took him to another low, but now thanks to Tohru everything changed.

And, remember 'that promise' Kyo said in... was episode 5? Anyway, in this episode is when
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Aug 24, 2020 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
I wasn't expecting to cry in this episode. Get angry at Akito, yes, that's a given but I started bawling after Yuki helped baby Tohru and he suddenly turned into a mouse. The tears started flowing.

Here is how I see it. He helped Tohru as a kid and now Tohru is helping him. Making feel the a motherly love he never experienced from his own mom.

5/5 episode.
臭い-
Aug 24, 2020 9:30 PM

Sep 2007
For the longest time I was torn between whether the OTP should be Tohru x Yuki or Tohru x Kyo and this backstory tipped it waaaay towards Tohru x Yuki

however...from what I recall from the manga...
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Aug 24, 2020 10:28 PM

Dec 2018
I consider this episode one of the most important episode because we got to take a deep look at Yuki's backstory. A really good episode overall.
Aug 24, 2020 10:50 PM

Nov 2015
Another tearjerker, but in the best way. Yuki had a long way indeed to claw his way back out of that darkness. He is lucky indeed to have Tohru to help him along, twice now.

I am torn between despising Akito or Yuki's mother more. They make it very difficult to choose.
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something they know they might attack you for.
--Linkin Park, "Hands Held High"
Aug 24, 2020 11:19 PM

Feb 2010
Luchia said:
Surprisingly, Kyo is one of the most popular characters in the series...But he always shifted the blame on Yuki to make him feel better. Kyo never attempted to see past the zodiac fable, and get to know him. That's why I disliked Kyo.

Yuki was one of my most loved characters in the show. He is my second favorite. He is so relatable. His yearning to make friends, his tendency to hold back, etc.

I agree, i also don't like that part of him, because he actually blames others to make himself feel better. Everyone in zodiac members have problems, he's not the saddest person in the world or whatever. In fact, we can see here Yuki is far wiser and more mature even as a kid.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeAug 25, 2020 4:14 PM

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Aug 24, 2020 11:46 PM

Mar 2008
My anger level is through the roof. I don't care what sap back story they use to try and justify Akito. I hope it/he/she dies a slow painful death. Yuki's parents can eat shit and die too. His brother was an ass but finally came around and I can't really blame Kyo since he was a kid.
Aug 25, 2020 12:01 AM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
This backstory and how it resolves in the anime/manga is so beautiful. I was firmly sailing on the TohruxYuki ship up to this point, but this resolved everything so perfectly that I didn't mind the fact that I had ended up boarding the Lusitania. It is good to see that not all powerful and emotional relationships between a man and woman have to be romantic relationships.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!

Aug 2015
I think for me that was easily the best episode so far. It was heartbreaking seeing just how isolated Yuki was, how alone he felt, and how much he yearned for a family and friends. And then having the happiness he found in his new school friends ripped away from him so soon was also really hard to watch.

Also while it's just a smaller detail, every time they show that scene of Ayame pulling his sleeve away from Yuki I really feel it. They've reused that moment several times but I never get tired of it; the animation really captures Ayame's rejection, and it's just another example of one of the few times where Yuki reached out to others to have it go wrong.

Finally, like some other people have said, I really appreciate that the author didn't go with a love triangle and instead has Yuki's feelings towards Tohru be more like those of a son to a mother. It feels more meaningful that she fulfills something so important that has been missing from his life since he was a child.

Jul 2016
I swear this show is so close of making me cry at some point. It's incredible how nicely crafted these introspective/more serious episodes are. BGM; voice acting; scene from a past episode added in the right moment; symbolism usages, etc. All tied together in order to make the viewer empathize with the current character to the fullest... I'm simply amazed with this direction.

As for the episode... what else can I say? It feels so rewarding when you see all the pieces coming together to finally form a whole picture. Yuki must be of the most mentally tormented characters I have seen in a while and the way how the studio portrayed such gloomy and defeatist state of mind was peak perfection in my opinion. Seeing how he genuinely wanted to be friends with Kyou was really heartbreaking and despite how heartwarming the brief moment of hope he felt after helping Tohru was, it was still rather sad to know it wouldn't last long. This said, I'm still somewhat glad about the fact that he understood the world doesn't necessarily have to be pitch-black in its entirety.

So it's finally confirmed what Yuki yearns from Tohru: "Acceptance". The kind of acceptance and sense of comfort only a loving mother can provide... damn. Honestly, it was being quite clear since a few episodes ago but the confirmation still hit me like a truck. Not in the sense of Yuki not seeing Tohru romantically but in the sense of me finally understanding just how desperate this poor guy must have felt all his young life. Only wishing for someone to rely on.

All in all, a truly powerful episode. Now I hope the next one can be a bit more lighthearted because seriously, both Akito and Yuki's mother left me feeling quite exhausted.
Aug 25, 2020 12:06 AM

Oct 2008
Damn! the hardships of young Souma Yuki is very UNBEARABLE!!!
Truly wonderful episode!
5/5
matias067Aug 25, 2020 12:13 AM

Aug 25, 2020 12:32 AM
Dec 2019
Ok so i was a bit taken back by this episode. How Yuki and Akito used to be like when they first met, seems like they were friends, but when Akito changed that must have been terrifying for Yuki.

But its nice to know that when Yuki helped Tohru, it was a spark of hope for him.
Aug 25, 2020 1:42 AM

Jul 2012
I was on the verge of tears for the whole episode and after he helped Tohru and said that he was useful I just broke down.

Man! What a sad backstory, I just want to give baby Yuki a big hug and tell him that he's loved and important. He is a really strong person though, because after having such a horrible childhood, with everyone hating him or not caring about him, he still grew up to be a very nice, cool and collected young man. Go Yuki! I need to see him having a happy ending, he deserves it.

So apparently he found a 'mother' in Tohru, really interesting reveal. I guess the Kyo x Tohru ship sets sail, then.

And the hat belonging originally to Kyo, that was sweet. I remember reading in this forum that the "hat" had more backstory and always wondered what could it be. I finally got my answer.

And Akito was nice once, who would have thought? Now I'm intrigued on what made her snap like that.

Boy, this episode was packed and this series just keeps getting better with each episode!
Aug 25, 2020 3:37 AM

Nov 2016
Wow, what a fanatastic episode. Seriously love the storytelling and how they portray most characters in such a relatable way.

Some of Akito's pain was also teased, can't wait for her backstory.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 25, 2020 3:43 AM

Feb 2019
Beautiful, and of course painful and sad, episode on Yuki's backstory. It was a long time coming. We've seen glimpses, but we're finally told the full story.

I'm fully reminded again of how bad Yuki's parents treated him.

I wonder what caused Akito to snap...

We finally see the story of Yuki and Tohru's first meeting fully. And as expected it is sweet. Who knew that little moment would give Yuki the courage to continue living on.

And I found it tragic how Yuki only wanted to be friends with Kyou, but from the get-go Kyou hated him. And I can understand the hatred too because of what Kyou's mother apparently said in her suicide note about it being better if she had given birth to the Rat (but Akito said this so I guess we need confirmation). I hope they can understand each other and become true friends.

And he finally said it, what Tohru is to him: like a mother. So the entire episode served to illustrate what Tohru is to him. That was so sweet and beautiful. Tohru is indeed like a mother. Her love and warmth, how she listens and cares for others, it's truly beautiful. She's one of the most wonderful people I've ever seen.
Aug 25, 2020 5:14 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, as if I thought Yuki's mother couldn't get worse, now we learn that she SOLD Yuki to Akito to partially fund a lavish life of luxury. The adult Somas are truly a repulsive bunch, as if that needs to be said again.

That aside, another solid and tragic FruBa backstory, largely one we'd pieced together by now but with a few interesting expansions on what we'd understood before. In particular, the new understanding of Yuki's feelings about Kyo is very interesting.

Also, big F for Tohru for being mother-zoned liked that.
Aug 25, 2020 5:22 AM

Feb 2014
MacabreBunny said:
dasprn said:
So that's the story behind the cap? That was the moment their fates got connected. Yuki, Kyo and Tohru. I always thought Kyo was the one who saved Tohru and Yuki was just someone who witnessed it. But with that I guess Kyo X Tohru is the ship that's gonna sail eh? With how the story is moving with Yuki in focus, I really wanna see him getting his own ship now.

You will :) just not yet

Will it be this season though?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 25, 2020 6:06 AM

Oct 2011
I love how Yuki's backstory ties a lot of things...
we already saw how Haru hated him back then, how Ayame ignored his existence, how he lived in that dark room, how his mother abandone him, and how he lost his friends when Hattori erased their memories...

seeing all together, shows how everything pilled up to create Yuki's feeling of being worthless, molded his personality... how he distance himself, and "unconsciously" try to be always kind and gentle to be loved (like he confessed to Tohru back in the very beginning of first season)

and then, the hat story, and how this become a glimpse of hope to him...

man, this is so well written! unquestionably my very favorite mangá
Aug 25, 2020 6:13 AM

Aug 2007
Finally we know why Yuki doesn't like to be near Akito and the difficult relationship with her mother and Kyo (if we can consider a relationship of enemies when kids). First encounter with Tooru as how Yuki saw it.

MAL has updated the anime. it will have 25 episodes.

Aug 25, 2020 6:15 AM

Jun 2016
this episode very very emotional and awesome !!! especially for backstory yuki !!
Aug 25, 2020 7:20 AM

Dec 2016
Yuki!! ;-; What a powerful episode! Very emotional ;_; Yuki didn't deserve all that hate.
So the missing piece of puzzle from the last episode is now revealed! What Yuki yearned from Tohru was a mother figure ;_;

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Aug 25, 2020 7:32 AM

May 2016
I love Yukis backstory and this season focused on it but I'm not a fan of the kyoxtohru moments theyre cutting and just in general. There was one particular scene in Kyoto that was quite important and I really can't understand why they left it out

Besides that, it's little moments that cement their relationship and Tohru's growing infatuation with Kyo. There's lots of cute blushing scenes missing.

As good as this adaptation is, I'm not liking some of the unnecessary cuts. The mangaka put them there for a reason. Maybe they can add it in next season as this season was yuki related and I assume with kyos impending lockup next season will be focused on him and subsequently Tohru as well.

Either way, great episode. Even in the manga i was glad the yuki and tohru were never in love romantically at any point. It was a fresh experience as i originally thought when reading the manga it was going to be a love triangle so props to the mangaka again. Its nice to have a relationship like they do and its something sweet.
DarudiusAug 25, 2020 7:59 AM
Aug 25, 2020 7:34 AM

Aug 2016
MacabreBunny said:
dasprn said:
So that's the story behind the cap? That was the moment their fates got connected. Yuki, Kyo and Tohru. I always thought Kyo was the one who saved Tohru and Yuki was just someone who witnessed it. But with that I guess Kyo X Tohru is the ship that's gonna sail eh? With how the story is moving with Yuki in focus, I really wanna see him getting his own ship now.

So, the story behind the hat that we saw on episode 6 from the first season, is now fully revealed. Not many episodes left in this season, so yes maybe we'll see Yuki's ship in the next one (like, also why Akito snapped). But from this season, I think that we already saw a vibe between Yuki and Kuragi Machi so from a guess, it's possibly her.
Aug 25, 2020 8:32 AM

Dec 2015
Damn, some parts of that backstory hit a bit too close to home.
Aug 25, 2020 11:36 AM
Jul 2020
poor yuki he got a tough childhood i wish he could become freinds with kyo
Aug 25, 2020 12:45 PM

Dec 2013
I wasn't big fan of Yuki until now. It is not like I disliked him but couldnt say I liked him either... and that's why I like this episode so much as it made me understand him, also gave him a more of a depth. I'm starting to warm up to him and I'm glad, it's been frustrating to be bored and sometimes annoyed at some of his scenes in the beginning of the season. Also I'm glad that we finally got to the part where he accepted his true feelings towards Tohru, for that part the author deserves a big thumbs up from me. I'm really glad for this remake, the manga story is really amazing.
❑ Single (¬‿¬)
❑ Taken (¬‿¬)

✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist φ(°ρ°*)
Aug 25, 2020 2:56 PM

Aug 2015
the "she's beloved to me [...] like a mother" part weirded me out ngl lol
Aug 25, 2020 3:28 PM

Jun 2015
Every episode is like a strike o the heart for them feels. Ever the darker the story gets there is still a thread of hope we cling too and there me be some hope yet for the zodiac peeps!

Once more I say the themes this show explores are far beyond anything out there in media right now. Its a masterpiece in storytelling and self introspection.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 25, 2020 3:59 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode, one of many this season. Yuki's whole past comes to light, how much suffering he had to endure, nice that Yuki wants to become Kyo's friend and certainly it's the same for Kyo. Curious that Yuki sees Tohru as a maternal figure, I didn't expect that him care about her in this sense.
Aug 25, 2020 5:43 PM
Nov 2014
Luchia said:
Surprisingly, Kyo is one of the most popular characters in the series...But he always shifted the blame on Yuki to make him feel better. Kyo never attempted to see past the zodiac fable, and get to know him. That's why I disliked Kyo.

I can see why you'd feel that way tbh, but I also keep in mind the context around Kyo's behaviour. This was a little kid that was always shunned and excluded - his mother literally killed herself because she couldn't stand to remain near him - and he was always told it was Because he was the cat and because of the zodiac. It's not a stretch then that at such a traumatic moment he lashed out instead of sensibly going, "you know, this isn't right? What's the real truth behind this ridiculous behaviour?"

Even adults would struggle to be that composed. It's certainly very unfortunate what happened to almost all the zodiac kids. I just find it's all a bit too complex for me to definitively point the finger at any one zodiac for being a completely irredeemable arse - that cake goes to Akito.

ChetanS said:
Aryale said:
Akito was such a cute kid :(
Very emotional episode, quite enjoyable.
AKITO's looking down on others & bullying is both adorable & entertaining, for me. He is among those Anime characters i LIKE despite of his personality.

You win. That's pretty twisted. Pray tell, what do you find adorable and entertaining about it? Genuinely want to understand this comment
Aug 25, 2020 6:25 PM

Apr 2019
Aye we get Yuki's backstory, an like, it's pretty interesting to see what happened to him in his past. We'll probably get an explanation as to why Akito snapped way back when. Also the subtle reveal that the hat he gave Tohru was actually's Kyo's was pretty cool.

Now we just need to see his backstory and how he knew Tohru's mom. Cause I need confirmation on why he felt regretful when visiting the graveyard last season. Cause I think that her death is linked to him somehow and he blames himself for her death.

Anyways, really looking forward to the next episode!
Aug 25, 2020 9:05 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
This makes you realize how much Yuki must have been hurting when Tohru almost moved back in with her grandpa and aunt :(
Aug 26, 2020 2:27 AM
May 2018
Meeen this episode was so fucked up. Like I know this series is really sad and emotional, but to think a kid of like 7 yo wants to commit suicide (he wanted to disappear so it's the same thing) this is on a whole new level. I took this episode like a bullet directly throgh my heart. I really want to know what happened to Akito cus a kid can never say such things out of the blue. To think Akito made Yuki think everybody hates him and he should disappear like this shit is soo messed up. I really want to know the things from Akito's perspective and since I didn't read the manga I can just hope there will be an episode or at least some scenes from Akito's past.
Aug 26, 2020 3:21 AM
Apr 2018
ChetanS said:
Aryale said:
Akito was such a cute kid :(
Very emotional episode, quite enjoyable.
AKITO's looking down on others & bullying is both adorable & entertaining, for me. He is among those Anime characters i LIKE despite of his personality.

mbyhmma said:
You win. That's pretty twisted. Pray tell, what do you find adorable and entertaining about it? Genuinely want to understand this comment

@mbyhmma ,
Sorry. Maybe i put it in a wrong way ; someone easily gets misunderstood. :)

What i mean is i don't like the drama genre that much (except few Anime) to see emotionally weak characters for whatever reasons ; "doesn't matter whatever wrong with their childhood" , but there are plenty people out there who handle things gracefully despite their tough situations & worst surrounding people around. I don't like how they deal with their situations, because you see they are not the only ones (on this planet, say Animated earth :) ) with worst past & present.
Its different for everyone, but that's just my preference.

So to balance this drama (crying) thing, its pretty fun to see AKITO bullying others. AKITO might be suffering, but his expressions are my one of the favorite thing.
Other things which entertains me is seeing Adorable TOHRU, non-crying KYO, tough showing characters like SHIGURE & HATORI which makes me laugh. HATORI & SIGURE are hopeful & reliable characters.

Not that i don't understand their emotions, but myself being emotionally strong & accepting reality, dealing with every situations GRACEFULLY is what's important for me[/b].

The story is already written & the Anime is already made & most stories are about character development. But i refuse to see pathetic characters, i dislike not them but their way of dealing with things. Its really fine as we can't do anything about what's already been made.
Doutei-kunAug 26, 2020 3:56 AM
Aug 26, 2020 7:01 AM

Sep 2009
wow that was a wild ride...I have never seen that kinda development in any shoujo ever.

Still kinda weird that Yuki sees Tohru as more of a motherly figure than anything else but yeah it makes sense considering his circumstances.
Maybe it's better this way.

Aug 26, 2020 12:06 PM

Jun 2017
If Yuki wants to be friends with Kyo, he better give up on Tohru!😄

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 26, 2020 12:58 PM

Aug 2017
dasprn said:
MacabreBunny said:

If you really want to know here's a spoiler:
Aug 26, 2020 2:55 PM

Aug 2017
NenaFsl said:
MacabreBunny said:

So, the story behind the hat that we saw on episode 6 from the first season, is now fully revealed. Not many episodes left in this season, so yes maybe we'll see Yuki's ship in the next one (like, also why Akito snapped). But from this season, I think that we already saw a vibe between Yuki and Kuragi Machi so from a guess, it's possibly her.

Aug 26, 2020 3:33 PM

Aug 2018
Absolutely loved that episode, Yuki deserves some love & light which Tohru surely brings him. Really liked to get that tiny glimpse of her mother's past, she even scared policemen haha
Aug 26, 2020 4:10 PM

Feb 2014
MacabreBunny said:
dasprn said:

If you really want to know here's a spoiler:

That's assuring.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 26, 2020 7:56 PM

Oct 2011
Oh my goodness. No freaking wonder Yuki has issues. This is the first episode that I physically feel hurt. Every time some awful thing happened to Yuki, it was like a punch to the gut. His childhood was ROBBED! *crying intensifies*

And then, the ending song comes and I cry even more.
LuxtressAug 26, 2020 8:14 PM
Aug 26, 2020 9:52 PM

Sep 2019
One of the most touching episode so far.
Aug 26, 2020 10:19 PM
Aug 2020
Did anyone noticed or recalled that tohru said she was playing with other boys sround in the afternoon. The sky was orange that time when the story first showed up. But on yuki's story, they said it was early in the morning and not much people were awake yet. 🤔🤔
Aug 27, 2020 12:13 AM

Aug 2016
MacabreBunny said:
NenaFsl said:

Really ??! 😮 Haven't read the Manga but this "spoiler" you just said , is one of the most pleasant surprises! 😍 That's so cute, I wish the anime to reach that far, why not, it would be great to show us how they will end up there! 🥰
Aug 27, 2020 9:25 AM

Jan 2019
This Episode is everything I've ever wanted to know from Yuki. Damn, weaving together so many threads we were already aware of into a beautifully broken life.

I'm too sad to even cry, wow.
Aug 27, 2020 10:13 AM
Aug 2020
kagura-pb said:
shanielei said:
Did anyone noticed or recalled that tohru said she was playing with other boys sround in the afternoon. The sky was orange that time when the story first showed up. But on yuki's story, they said it was early in the morning and not much people were awake yet. 🤔🤔

Tohru got lost in the late afternoon and stayed lost until Yuki found her at dawn. They just used a brownish/orange filter for her recollection of the hat scene to show us that it was a very warm and precious memory for her.

Edit: Just found people discussing it in great detail over here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FruitsBasket/comments/igs14b/hat_story_version_comparison/

thanks so much it was bugging me the whole day
Aug 27, 2020 6:09 PM

Apr 2013
This episode made me feel like absolute garbage. I never was a big fan of Yuki to say the least, but the events of the manga were a blur to me. I can actually relate to him quite a bit. I have to take back everything bad I've said about him up until this point, really.
Aug 27, 2020 8:41 PM

Apr 2015
What a horrible mother. Hysterics>actually finding your child.
[Edit] I know, I know, "anime", but I know people like this. Someone I know died because their mother raged instead of looking at the note on their desk.
{sigh} This whole episode destroyed my chill.
BonkyTrollDollAug 27, 2020 8:50 PM
Aug 28, 2020 2:48 AM

Apr 2015
great ep; it was so sad to see how Yuki suffered and how the adults in the Sohma house destroyed Yuki & Kyo's relationship

Akito was so cute as kid, I can't wait to get his story
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Aug 3, 2020

162 by haniayasmine »»
Apr 21, 3:29 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 17, 2020

74 by anijumper44 »»
Apr 3, 4:41 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2020

239 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 25, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 27, 2020

90 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2020

123 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 3:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.