Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 23, 2020 1:57 AM
Oct 2019
ElGoblino said:
wehateupes said:
Lol dropping the rating to 5/10 due to these shitty breaks. Next ep on March 7. The series has been unimpressive to me. Sure the asthetics are pretty, but did someone not notice how wierd, elongated and badly drawn the faces looked with uneven lines?

Not to mention this was such a bad conclusion to Ushiwaka and her story. Nobody gave a fuck about her by the end.

Servants mindlessly throwing OP NPs after NPs in order to stop an unbeatable force was emotionless and didn't draw me in despite the visuals.

And then these disappointing huge breaks the anime keeps taking.

One of the worst Fate anime I have seen and it cannot even hope to match the likes of Heaven's Feel or Zero.

If they were gonna show people talking for half the episode should have maybe shown some Fujimaru and Mash whomesomeness but ever since the anime has started I have never seen them in a lovey dovey way except when Merlin asked them to go on a date and see the town.

Really damn disappointing honestly.

Butthurt ufotable fanboy right here. The only good fate series ufotable did is Zero. Personally I have no idea why people praise the Heaven's Feel movies so much other than the animation the movies are very mediocre, so much important content cut from them novel that it would take me hours to mention everything that's missing. This is the best adapted series after Zero period. This thread says enough, you are literally the only person in this whole discussion that disagrees .
This episode has only one 1/5 vote, I am sure that's you lmao, everybody else gave it 5/5 and a few 4/5's .

I am a non-gamer, but this episode just too beautiful. 5/5 is not enough to describe how amazing this episode is. Cloverworks is doing an incredible job in their adaptation, even a non-gamer like me, really just want to pick up the game and play it. P.S. I haven't watch Heaven Feels yet, but you have to give Ufotable the credit when it is due.
Feb 23, 2020 1:59 AM

Aug 2018
wehateupes said:
Lol dropping the rating to 5/10 due to these shitty breaks. Next ep on March 7. The series has been unimpressive to me. Sure the asthetics are pretty, but did someone not notice how wierd, elongated and badly drawn the faces looked with uneven lines?

Not to mention this was such a bad conclusion to Ushiwaka and her story. Nobody gave a fuck about her by the end.

Servants mindlessly throwing OP NPs after NPs in order to stop an unbeatable force was emotionless and didn't draw me in despite the visuals.

One of the worst Fate anime I have seen and it cannot even hope to match the likes of Heaven's Feel or Zero.

If they were gonna show people talking for half the episode should have maybe shown some Fujimaru and Mash whomesomeness but ever since the anime has started I have never seen them in a lovey dovey way except when Merlin asked them to go on a date and see the town.

This here is why we can't have nice things.
Feb 23, 2020 2:02 AM
Jul 2018
ElGoblino said:
wehateupes said:

Butthurt ufotable fanboy right here. The only good fate series ufotable did is Zero. Personally I have no idea why people praise the Heaven's Feel movies so much other than the animation the movies are very mediocre, so much important content cut from them novel that it would take me hours to mention everything that's missing. This is the best adapted series after Zero period. This thread says enough, you are literally the only person in this whole discussion that disagrees .
This episode has only one 1/5 vote, I am sure that's you lmao, everybody else gave it 5/5 and a few 4/5's .

Heaven's Feel is another level stuff you normies are incapable of understanding lol. If you wanna worship this trash series then feel free to do so.

But kindly don't compare it to the godly stuff like Unlimited Blade Works.

This doesn't even come close to it even in a million years lol.

The reason so many people praise Heaven's Feel and you don't is because your taste is the definition of normie trash and the fact you like this shows you're not even a true Fate fan lmfao
Feb 23, 2020 2:04 AM
Jul 2018
EpicYH22 said:
ElGoblino said:

I am a non-gamer, but this episode just too beautiful. 5/5 is not enough to describe how amazing this episode is. Cloverworks is doing an incredible job in their adaptation, even a non-gamer like me, really just want to pick up the game and play it. P.S. I haven't watch Heaven Feels yet, but you have to give Ufotable the credit when it is due.

Watch Zero, UBW and Heavens Feel and then come and tell me bro if this can even hold a candle to them. They are just too perfet
Feb 23, 2020 2:04 AM
May 2015
Hashira_1996 said:
oragp said:
i watched it 3 times already and got goosebumps every time
the studio surpased all my expectations
this episode had everything i love aboute fate
come her and sit by my side i also watched it three times and i’m up for more
sure bro lets go
Might as well rewatch the whole series
Feb 23, 2020 2:08 AM

Aug 2018
astroprogs said:
zasshu95 said:
As an anime-only, I can't even begin to put into words how blown away by this show I've been. I was expected something like Apocrypha - a shitty story with nice animation - but this has legitimately been incredible so far from a self-contained narrative standpoint and has done a fantastic job making the audience invested in the supporting characters.

This episode was honestly comparable to the best moments from the Unlimited Blade Works and the Heaven's Feel anime adaptations. I'm so damn excited to see how the last 3 episodes go.

Well, unlike Apocrypha, Babylonia and Camelot were written by Nasu, the author of F/SN himself. The story being above average at the very least, assuming the studio competently adapts his text, is kind of a given.

If you liked Babylonia, make sure to watch the Camelot movies when they come out too. It's as beloved as Babylonia by the players of the game for the quality of its writing as well.

Absolutely. The Camelot singularity is also one of the more higher renowned singularities so far in Grand Order. I just hope the support and demand warrants more Grand Order anime like these two. Shimosa, and a lot of Cosmos in the Lostbelt singularities like Atlantis would make for great anime too. It's the times like these that always make Fate's characters and wild storytelling untouchably beloved within its community.
Feb 23, 2020 2:11 AM

Aug 2018
ElGoblino said:
Askaa said:

oh about the sakuga i think this episode was directed by Onsen the same one who did episode 22 of fate Apocrypha aka the one that have karna vs sieg

You are wrong there, Episode 22 of Apocrypha was directed by Hakuyu Go which also directed Mob Psycho II episode 5 . I think Onsen just worked on some scenes on that episode, I can't remember exactly right now. This episode of grand order marked Onsen's directorial debut.

That username tho. monkaW
Feb 23, 2020 2:21 AM
Feb 2016
Quetz the mvp for this episode and Benkei went out with a bang! Props to CW they don't mess this up just like last week first half episode and please with a break next week, please don't make it a CGI Kaijuu battle!! I have a lot of hope for these remaining 3 episodes..oh yeah, i completely forgot how much i miss merlin support in game lmao
Anguish_one7Feb 23, 2020 3:31 AM
Feb 23, 2020 2:23 AM

Dec 2014
hmm with only three episdoes left..this is really getting more and more good
Feb 23, 2020 2:44 AM
Oct 2019
wehateupes said:
EpicYH22 said:

Watch Zero, UBW and Heavens Feel and then come and tell me bro if this can even hold a candle to them. They are just too perfet

To start on FGO, I obviously had to start on Zero, UBW, and Heavens Feel. Like seriously?!? Did you think I just blindly start on FGO. To say the Ufotable trilogy as perfect is to ignore the flaws that they have. And I am only discussing this particular episode. For a studio that is not Ufotable, this episode deserves to be ranked among the greatest Fate episodes. If you are saying FGO is "disappointing", then you are honestly not appreciating good animation and content, Cloverworks deserve the RESPECT. If they can adapt the ending to perfection, yes, I will come at you and tell that this series can hold a candle to that. A
Feb 23, 2020 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
EpicYH22 said:
wehateupes said:

To start on FGO, I obviously had to start on Zero, UBW, and Heavens Feel. Like seriously?!? Did you think I just blindly start on FGO. To say the Ufotable trilogy as perfect is to ignore the flaws that they have. And I am only discussing this particular episode. For a studio that is not Ufotable, this episode deserves to be ranked among the greatest Fate episodes. If you are saying FGO is "disappointing", then you are honestly not appreciating good animation and content, Cloverworks deserve the RESPECT. If they can adapt the ending to perfection, yes, I will come at you and tell that this series can hold a candle to that. A

If you are gonna talk about animation then Apocrypha had much better fights than Babylonia.

And is animation all that matters? The story and plot is shit here, is there even a story in the first place.

The characters are a huge disappointment with really bad characterization. Most of the female servants just have the "waifu" factor due to which people like them.

This anime has nothing going for it apart from the decent animation.
Feb 23, 2020 3:18 AM

Apr 2013
This adaptation deserves at least an 8. I hope by the series end ppl will bump up the score abit. Its quite poorly rated for such a well done adaptation.
Feb 23, 2020 3:42 AM

May 2015
wehateupes said:

If you are gonna talk about animation then Apocrypha had much better fights than Babylonia.

And is animation all that matters? The story and plot is shit here, is there even a story in the first place.

The characters are a huge disappointment with really bad characterization. Most of the female servants just have the "waifu" factor due to which people like them.

>Apocrypha had much better fights.

Nice claim that isn't substantiated when people in and outside the community beg to differ. Saying you prefer Apocrypha fights is fine, but you're blatantly lying on that first point or exaggerating

>The story and plot is shit.

Babylonia is far from a masterpiece, but it handles its scale of conflict fairly well. Also has pretty clear themes. Plenty of stuff can be critiqued, but AGAIN you're exaggerating.

>Characters with really bad characterization

Blatantly false again. You can make a decent write up for every important secondary character here and realize most of them have several facets to them(Disregarding Jaguar whose comedic relief). This whole waifu thing is irrelevant too now since they're dealing with end of the world stuff and that's a meme more than anything else.

The anime has technical issues such as weak scripts or pacing, but the base product is satisfactory. Just drop it and watch fight highlights or something lol

Feb 23, 2020 3:43 AM

Aug 2009
wehateupes said:
EpicYH22 said:

Ahaha what a joke, no Apo doesnt have better fights than Babylonia. Just Mash deflecting Kingu's chains is better than anything in Apocrypha.

Apocrypha has no character beyond Mordred and Sisigo and the two siblings. Babylonia shows a different aspect to Gil, developed Kingu, developed Ana/Medusa, introduced a personality in Fujimaru, has no pointless nonsensical romance that makes no sense.

Did anyone give a fuck when Caster of Black sacrificed his Master? Did anyone care about Semiramis and Amakusa?Did anyone care about Jack and her Master?

People cared for Ana, Kingu, Siduri, Leonidas, Ushi, Benkei in this episode, Merlin and hated it when Uruk's citizens were mercilessly killed by the Lahmu.

The only real characters in Apo were Mordred and her Master. Even illusion Gilles was better than the rest of the cast.

Apocrypha's plot was all over the place with characters changing sides for no real reason,or serving their lords for no reason, the antagonist's plan was a joke, the MC manages to be worse than Gudao in the game and most fights have no emotional impact.
I honesty dont care who wins between Karna and Sieg. The animation is good but the design is all over the place unlike in this ep which didnt sacrifice details for animation.

Feb 23, 2020 3:57 AM
Jul 2018
ssjokg said:
wehateupes said:

Ahaha what a joke, no Apo doesnt have better fights than Babylonia. Just Mash deflecting Kingu's chains is better than anything in Apocrypha.

Apocrypha has no character beyond Mordred and Sisigo and the two siblings. Babylonia shows a different aspect to Gil, developed Kingu, developed Ana/Medusa, introduced a personality in Fujimaru, has no pointless nonsensical romance that makes no sense.

Did anyone give a fuck when Caster of Black sacrificed his Master? Did anyone care about Semiramis and Amakusa?Did anyone care about Jack and her Master?

People cared for Ana, Kingu, Siduri, Leonidas, Ushi, Benkei in this episode, Merlin and hated it when Uruk's citizens were mercilessly killed by the Lahmu.

The only real characters in Apo were Mordred and her Master. Even illusion Gilles was better than the rest of the cast.

Apocrypha's plot was all over the place with characters changing sides for no real reason,or serving their lords for no reason, the antagonist's plan was a joke, the MC manages to be worse than Gudao in the game and most fights have no emotional impact.
I honesty dont care who wins between Karna and Sieg. The animation is good but the design is all over the place unlike in this ep which didnt sacrifice details for animation.

Can you even call anything in Babylonia a decent fight? Its just a showcase of noble phantasm or small scale 1 minute skirmishes.

Apocrypha had gorgeous fights. And Sieg VS Karna is as good as anything Ufotable ever made lol. Claiming this anime has better fights than Apocrypha's masterpiece fights is a joke that any street kid would laugh at.

Shows how biased you are lmfao.
Feb 23, 2020 4:01 AM
Jul 2018
ImbalancedEmblem said:
wehateupes said:

>Apocrypha had much better fights.

Nice claim that isn't substantiated when people in and outside the community beg to differ. Saying you prefer Apocrypha fights is fine, but you're blatantly lying on that first point or exaggerating

>The story and plot is shit.

Babylonia is far from a masterpiece, but it handles its scale of conflict fairly well. Also has pretty clear themes. Plenty of stuff can be critiqued, but AGAIN you're exaggerating.

>Characters with really bad characterization

Blatantly false again. You can make a decent write up for every important secondary character here and realize most of them have several facets to them(Disregarding Jaguar whose comedic relief). This whole waifu thing is irrelevant too now since they're dealing with end of the world stuff and that's a meme more than anything else.

The anime has technical issues such as weak scripts or pacing, but the base product is satisfactory. Just drop it and watch fight highlights or something lol

Lol calling it false doesn't change the fact that the characters in this anime are bad.

Apart from Ushiwaka I didn't feel emotionally attached to anyone and they concluded her arc so badly it was a joke.

The plot doesn't exist. Its nothing.

The rest of the characters are really bad. The only reason people even like Ishtar/Eresh is cause they love Rin and she has the same look.

The rest of the characters are absolutley horribly written with zero characterization and attachment.

So yeah this anime deserves a 4/10. Even animation is bad with those wierd badly drawn faces. Just look at Ishtar's face in this episode Jesus those uneven lines.

And Quatezquat's CGI faces looks horrible and so does Gil's CGI face.

Sorry man this is a really bad anime.
Feb 23, 2020 4:23 AM

Aug 2009
Apocrypha 7.17 Ranked #2915

Babylonia 7.85 Ranked #739

Oh look how great Apocrypha is with its better characters and better story.

As for fights NP and 1 minute fight choreography >>> nonsensical skirmishes.

Everyone vs Dracula got nobody hyped like vs Gorgon or this episode did.

And again, nobody cares about characters in Apocrypha that arent named Mordred or Sisigo.

Yeah saving Uruk and b extension the world equals no plot.

Having a 14 vs 14 deathmatch that devolves into chaos with no clear stakes is far better./s
Feb 23, 2020 4:41 AM
Jul 2013
wehateupes said:
EpicYH22 said:

The characters had quite a lot of talks to develop them, if u only see the waifu factor bc u focus on several fanservice scenes then that's on you imo. Heck, anime even developed kingu/enkidu more since they added a decent amount of scenes with him and Gil in the past.

So all in all I assume ur complaints are directed at Nasu? Since he was the writer for this singularity and u are praising og fate series so much lol and the story is pretty clear, in fact I understood some scenes better here than in the game so idk what you are on lol
Feb 23, 2020 4:45 AM
Jul 2018
Mika-taicho said:
wehateupes said:

The characters had quite a lot of talks to develop them, if u only see the waifu factor bc u focus on several fanservice scenes then that's on you imo. Heck, anime even developed kingu/enkidu more since they added a decent amount of scenes with him and Gil in the past.

So all in all I assume ur complaints are directed at Nasu? Since he was the writer for this singularity and u are praising og fate series so much lol and the story is pretty clear, in fact I understood some scenes better here than in the game so idk what you are on lol

Loool check your facts dude. Nasu is not the writer of the Singularity. He is one of the manyyyyy people who oversaw the story. They just added him to the development team for this reason only.

So people would think "OMG the creator of OG Stay Night is on the development team this gotta be as good as FSN". But sadly if you go on Wikipedia and check the names of the script writers Nasu is not mentioned ANYWHERE.

Talk to me when your sort your shit dude.
Feb 23, 2020 4:46 AM

Aug 2009
wehateupes said:
Mika-taicho said:

Loool check your facts dude. Nasu is not the writer of the Singularity. He is one of the manyyyyy people who oversaw the story. They just added him to the development team for this reason only.

So people would think "OMG the creator of OG Stay Night is on the development team this gotta be as good as FSN". But sadly if you go on Wikipedia and check the names of the script writers Nasu is not mentioned ANYWHERE.

Talk to me when your sort your shit dude.

Oh look, false claims.

Feb 23, 2020 4:51 AM

Feb 2014
Cloverworks should pat themselves on their backs. The entire production team should be proud of the effort they put into making this episode of FGO an absolute spectacle to watch. =)

They're so many great moments from this episode, from the talk between Gilgamesh and Kingu as well as the epic rallying speech Gilgamesh gave out towards to remaining citizens of Uruk. However, the main talking of the episode was going to be the main mission of trying to stop Tiamat in her tracks.

Ushiwakamaru appears once again and even more bloodthirsty than ever in trying to stop Fujimaru and the others. In the FGO game, this fight against Ushi and her clones was, for me, extremely difficult and I had to rely on using all of my command seals just to even get past. XD

Not to forget, even Tiamat looked great, too. She had a lot more 2D scenes than last time and even the usage of CGI for her was used much better than last week.

Benkei makes his reappearance and almost becomes the MVP of this episode as he battled with all of his might to hold off Ushi as well as buying Quetzalcoatl time to unleash her noble phantasm. Speaking of her noble phantasm.....

....And here I thought Ishtar's NP from last week was done brilliantly. In comparison, Quetz's NP is in a league of its own as she went full power on Tiamat. Her NP, the soundtrack, Fujimaru's rallying cry and command seal to boost her damage and the animation quality nearing perfection during her attack made this scene leave me feeling goosebumps constantly.

To be honest, this much praise isn't even enough to fully describe how much I love her NP attack as she gave it her all to stop Tiamat, but sadly, it wasn't enough. However, as she ED started playing, Gorgon makes an unexpected return. Even though I've already played through this singularity in the game, Gorgon's appearance still left me hyped up for the next episode.

However, that'll be in two weeks, as next week will be the last break before the final 3 episodes in March. It'll be non-stop action all the way to the last episode, so I hope the anime-only viewers will enjoy in what's still to come.

10/10 for this episode. ^_^
Feb 23, 2020 5:55 AM
Oct 2019
I had hope Cloverworks will make Tiamat look better like they did with Gorgon and boy they did not disappoint. Some of the scenes like Tiamat with the swarm of Lahmu look so great. Plus I didn't expect Quetz to receive this much love. Sure they removed Benkei vs Ushi where Benkei uses his NP but I love how they integrated it here.
Gil's speech was great and I was waiting for him to reveal how Uruk decided to fight despite knowing the inevitable. This is probably one of the most important lessons for Mash from this singularity.
Can't wait for future episodes.
Feb 23, 2020 9:08 AM
Jun 2017
Quetz unleashed her NP... not been able to damage Tiamat that much... ohh how strong tiamat really is.. hahaha..

Well for those anime only, few more episodes and you will finally see the servant that can kill that Beast. Hahaha
Feb 23, 2020 9:29 AM
Jul 2013
wehateupes said:

You're trying way too hard. This episode wasn't good solely for artistic composition but the direction and pacing. It's the end of the world, the atmosphere in the first half, and the chaos in the last half captured it well. The feeling of urgency and time was similarly done well by having Benkei and Ushiwakamaru's fight happen alongside Quetzalcoatl's NP. Nothing in this episode felt wasted or hamfisted, and it avoided the pitfalls in episode 15 by rushing so fast, nothing left any impact.

It doesn't matter if it's Fate or whatever, this was a good episode by the standards of any anime
Feb 23, 2020 9:40 AM
Aug 2009
I have a question: fujimaru used all commands spells. That means he is no longer a master? How can he supply mana now to Mash?
Feb 23, 2020 9:42 AM

May 2015
wehateupes said:

Sorry man this is a really bad anime.

That you can say this proves you have a skewed view on what is indicative of being bad. I'm holding my tongue since your comment is the same circular argument. Your take is blatantly fallacious, so I'm done...

Feb 23, 2020 9:48 AM

Aug 2009
alessandroempire said:
I have a question: fujimaru used all commands spells. That means he is no longer a master? How can he supply mana now to Mash?

Using all you Command Seals doesnt mean you are no longer a Master.It just means that you have no way of controlling your Servant if they have no intention to cooperate with you or power them up like he did with Quetzalcoalt here.

He is still a Master and can still provide mana.He just doesnt have the 3 HUGE mana pools that are the command Seals.
Feb 23, 2020 9:53 AM
Aug 2009
ssjokg said:
alessandroempire said:

Using all you Command Seals doesnt mean you are no longer a Master.It just means that you have no way of controlling your Servant if they have no intention to cooperate with you or power them up like he did with Quetzalcoalt here.

He is still a Master and can still provide mana.He just doesnt have the 3 HUGE mana pools that are the command Seals.

Thanks, that was useful!
Feb 23, 2020 10:27 AM

Feb 2020
LeSponge said:

Well for those anime only, few more episodes and you will finally see the servant that can kill that Beast. Hahaha

lol nope.

LeonmitchelliGDFeb 23, 2020 10:36 AM
Feb 23, 2020 11:29 AM
Jan 2015
LeSponge said:
Quetz unleashed her NP... not been able to damage Tiamat that much... ohh how strong tiamat really is.. hahaha..

Um
My Queens

Feb 23, 2020 11:31 AM

Aug 2014
Giintora said:
DoctorWasabi said:
The fate series truly is better when Ufotable is not animating it

Why do you say that? Genuinely curious here.

Not the one who said it, but I think it's due to a lot of misconceptions around ufotable's "quality" and how their adaptations tend to kinda distract viewers with really pretty visuals while they cut important details and focus too much on the "not tell" aspect of "show don't tell".

For example, while it did cut contents, Babylonia is probably the most faithful Fate adaptation to date.

Personally I don't hate ufotable and I like their works, even tho I recognize that they do cut important stuff (I'm hoping a couple of key elements aren't cut from the third Heaven's Feel movie, for example), but I really despise this climate that the community created around them, putting the studio on such an high pedestal that "not made by ufotable" automatically means the adaptation will be bad.
If you go back before Babylonia aired, you can see a lot of people online commenting some variation of "meh it's not ufotable, I hope it doesn't suck", completely disregarding the amazing staff that was announced from day one.

People focus too much on a studio name rather than individual talented animators/directors, and with ufotable that problem is way worse, to the point that for some shows (especially regarding Fate) "not being made by ufotable" is an instant negative and stays a negative till the end, which is just ridiculous.

Especially for Fate, which is a vast franchise with a lot of different styles, authors, writers and adaptation, that way of thinking is just too... well, stupid.
Feb 23, 2020 12:43 PM

Jan 2017
Holy s***, CloverWorks is truly going about and beyond the call of duty with this adaptation!

So much hype for the last 3 episodes!
Feb 23, 2020 12:57 PM

Nov 2016
Noob question. I hated Gil in f/sn cuz he was a prideful jackass. But this Gil is frickn amazing and I'm loving him. Why he feels so different to me. Are they same person?(sorry if there is a grammar mistake in my question, my english is not that good)
Feb 23, 2020 1:10 PM

Aug 2014
Emunh said:
Noob question. I hated Gil in f/sn cuz he was a prideful jackass. But this Gil is frickn amazing and I'm loving him. Why he feels so different to me. Are they same person?(sorry if there is a grammar mistake in my question, my english is not that good)

They are the same person but with a different mindset.
I could be very specific but that could be confusing, so I'll just say this:

the Epic of Gilgamesh, the myth about him as the first hero, has him being a complete asshole that learns about friendship, the value of life, and in the end becomes a just and wise king that rules over Uruk until the end of his days.
You're witnessing this stage of his life right now.

That should be enough for an answer.
However, if you want more details, read what follows:

There's a difference between him when alive (right now in Babylonia) and him as a Servant (in stay night and Zero).
When summoned as a Servant, many factors end up influencing his mood and mindset: he's his younger, prideful and more asshol-ish self, and he's special among Heroic Spirits so the people around him (like, literally all of humanity in the modern times) influence him when he's summoned.
He doesn't like the modern era very much, and humanity is not as nice as when he was alive in Uruk, so he acts in a more rude way and doesn't consider others that much.
Feb 23, 2020 1:49 PM
Jul 2019
Quetazalcoatl's NP , too bad not enough to stop that tiamat.....
Feb 23, 2020 2:01 PM

Aug 2018
LeloTheUnamused said:
Giintora said:

Why do you say that? Genuinely curious here.

Not the one who said it, but I think it's due to a lot of misconceptions around ufotable's "quality" and how their adaptations tend to kinda distract viewers with really pretty visuals while they cut important details and focus too much on the "not tell" aspect of "show don't tell".

For example, while it did cut contents, Babylonia is probably the most faithful Fate adaptation to date.

Personally I don't hate ufotable and I like their works, even tho I recognize that they do cut important stuff (I'm hoping a couple of key elements aren't cut from the third Heaven's Feel movie, for example), but I really despise this climate that the community created around them, putting the studio on such an high pedestal that "not made by ufotable" automatically means the adaptation will be bad.
If you go back before Babylonia aired, you can see a lot of people online commenting some variation of "meh it's not ufotable, I hope it doesn't suck", completely disregarding the amazing staff that was announced from day one.

People focus too much on a studio name rather than individual talented animators/directors, and with ufotable that problem is way worse, to the point that for some shows (especially regarding Fate) "not being made by ufotable" is an instant negative and stays a negative till the end, which is just ridiculous.

Especially for Fate, which is a vast franchise with a lot of different styles, authors, writers and adaptation, that way of thinking is just too... well, stupid.

Not the answer I was quite expecting if I'm being honest, but something much better all together. Even though I've yet to read the actual VN, I have heard of Ufotable indeed cutting out some material in the final products. Additionally, it's also true that people tend to overlook anything Fate anime when it isn't done in part with Ufotable (I actually think I saw someone bring it up not too long ago as well). Hell, even Demon Slayer suffers something somewhat relevant as well. People always bring up the animation and talk about "that" episode, but how many people actually end up bringing up anything else that happened (especially the casual fans in the equation)? They get spoiled by the craft Ufotable brings to the table, and it isn't fair to the series and the other creators who go out of their way to also do their best.

Seeing it all through this perspective, yeah, I can understand why the series would be better off without Ufotable animating. This anime getting a chance to shine probably won't change much the stigma of, "No Ufotable = Bad", but hopefully it will open more eyes being a better step in a good direction. I've really enjoyed this adaptation so far, and there's no doubt that it went above and beyond the expectations Grand Order players had in mind.

Thanks for the answer, dude!
Feb 23, 2020 2:08 PM
Aug 2016
What a great episode, the aerial fight was insanely well animated. Quetz scenes were great.

Damn that was intense I loved it !
Feb 23, 2020 2:09 PM

Aug 2014
Giintora said:

Thanks for the answer, dude!

You're welcome, man.
I'm glad it was an useful answer.

I'd like to point out that, of course, there's the extreme opposite of the spectrum of ufotable haters that just want to bash the studio and use these things as weapons.
Which is equally bad as praising the studio only for the pretty animations, because it takes away the actual value (bad and good) of the work done just to spout meaningless sentences like "ufotable did it so it's bad" and "ufotable didn't do it so it's bad".
Feb 23, 2020 2:34 PM

Aug 2018
LeloTheUnamused said:

I'd like to point out that, of course, there's the extreme opposite of the spectrum of ufotable haters that just want to bash the studio and use these things as weapons.
Which is equally bad as praising the studio only for the pretty animations, because it takes away the actual value (bad and good) of the work done just to spout meaningless sentences like "ufotable did it so it's bad" and "ufotable didn't do it so it's bad".

Yeah... I suppose that's just an inevitability when you're a studio as reputable and now well regarded as Ufotable. You're going to have a lot of bad apples attacking the folks for the dumbest crap. Aside the movie, I'm not sure if the Demon Slayer series is something they'll continue to pursue, but hopefully it also means a fresh start for them in the anime community. It would be nice if they revisited the Stay Night route tho lol.
Feb 23, 2020 2:55 PM

Aug 2014
Giintora said:
LeloTheUnamused said:

Yeah... I suppose that's just an inevitability when you're a studio as reputable and now well regarded as Ufotable. You're going to have a lot of bad apples attacking the folks for the dumbest crap. Aside the movie, I'm not sure if the Demon Slayer series is something they'll continue to pursue, but hopefully it also means a fresh start for them in the anime community. It would be nice if they revisited the Stay Night route tho lol.

imho Demon Slayer was their experiment with popular shonen and it paid off, so they'll probably keep working on it.

Regarding stay night, Nasu often talks about wanting to rewrite the first route, and ufotable was interested in adapting hollow ataraxia. I don't doubt they will have more work to do on the main Fate timeline in the future
Feb 23, 2020 3:02 PM

Sep 2010
Emunh said:

The Archer Gilgamesh in FSN is materialized from his mindset before he returns of his journey to immortality. He's more aggressive and tyrannical, plus selfish as he let his kingdom fall into a ruin. Servants have different 'peaks' that Gilgamesh is peak on raw power. The Gilgamesh of Babylonia isn't a Servant with a limited mindset of an era (and knowledge of what happens next but doesn't influence them), he's alive and he's after the journey of immortality where he settled down to rebuild his kingdom to rule wisely as the Epic of Gilgamesh stated (differences aside with Fate portrayal, the epic and poem of Gilgamesh is about his journey and character development from an impetuous selfish tyrant to an enlightened, mature ruler - Nasu needed an antagonist for FSN, so he couldn't use the older Gilgamesh). If summoned, this would be peak "wisdom" Gilgamesh rather than power, and materializes as a Caster. Just to be clear, what FSN says about how Gil ruined his kingdom is right, but that was before he rebuilt it. When he returned from his journey, Uruk had been deserted and collapsed, the only one waiting for him was Siduri, who helped him to start over.

If it helps with a metaphor, Gil went from a cute chill kid to a jerkass teenager and later irresponsible wild fratboy in college years to calm down to a proud but wiser workaholic CEO in his adulthood. Gilgamesh gets summoned as Archer usually in that fratboy college period.

Fate displays and explores the Servants different facets depending on the work. If Gilgamesh was an antagonist in FSN, he could appear as hero in FGO. Likewise, Arturia who is heroic in Fate/Stay Night, acts as an antagonist in several chapters of FGO part 1. Notably in Camelot, you'll meet a version of her called "The Lion King."
ThessFeb 23, 2020 3:12 PM
Feb 23, 2020 4:32 PM

Aug 2014
Is it just me or did they skip Benkei using his NP to free Ushi from the mud?
Feb 23, 2020 5:13 PM

Nov 2015
Holy sh*t that ep was good. I don't remember gil's speech being that epic in game but dayum i'm impressed. And Quetz NP scene was fantastic, so much love was put into that. We only got 3 eps left. And it's only going to get spicier.

Katsura janai, Zura da

Feb 23, 2020 10:39 PM

May 2018
Trojan_Invasion said:
Is it just me or did they skip Benkei using his NP to free Ushi from the mud?

Yes I think and its one thing I disappointed on this episode.. Was anticipating Benkei's NP being animated.. But the rest was epic though
Feb 23, 2020 11:17 PM

Mar 2016
LeloTheUnamused said:
Giintora said:

imho Demon Slayer was their experiment with popular shonen and it paid off, so they'll probably keep working on it.

Regarding stay night, Nasu often talks about wanting to rewrite the first route, and ufotable was interested in adapting hollow ataraxia. I don't doubt they will have more work to do on the main Fate timeline in the future
maybe he'll finally get around to that rewrite by the time the camelot lostbelt comes around
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Feb 24, 2020 1:22 AM

May 2016
Is there going to be an episode next week?
Feb 24, 2020 1:55 AM

Jan 2017
Amazing episode, great voice acting, especially Quetzalcoatl. The Quetz noble phantasm scene reminds me of Evangelion 2, when Mari Makinami went berserk against the angel. Aya Endou goes the extra mile here to elevate the scene here.

Do you guys who played FGO know if Tiamat has actual dialogue lines?
I saw that Tiamat is voiced by Aoi Yuki so I am hoping that she will deliver more than Jin Varell type of voicing.
Feb 24, 2020 4:21 AM
Jul 2016
the moment siduri's shadow appear and then gilgamesh smile
i'm crying a bit
Feb 24, 2020 5:01 AM

Feb 2020
Andreikun said:
Do you guys who played FGO know if Tiamat has actual dialogue lines?
I saw that Tiamat is voiced by Aoi Yuki so I am hoping that she will deliver more than Jin Varell type of voicing.

She has very few lines from a dream scene very early on in the story where she tries to talk to the MC. But this scene was cut from the anime. After that scene she only has Laaaaaaa and Aaaaaaaaaa.
Feb 24, 2020 5:41 AM

Aug 2014
She also has one single

and nothing more.

(The dream scene should've been left in imho, it's important to her as a character)
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2019

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2019

287 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2019

176 by keynutil »»
Apr 1, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

186 by Apreggi »»
Jan 11, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

220 by Apreggi »»
Jan 11, 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.