Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2008 3:58 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
is it just me or is this anime moving at a snails pace?
Sep 15, 2008 2:32 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah...this is super boring...

Really disliking this whole MMO is life idea too. This sucks almost as much as .hack/twilight

I'm dropping it.
Jan 23, 2009 2:31 PM

Jan 2009
I disagree. I quite like this series thus far. The idea is original, and like any good story (in my opinion), it is actually telling a story. Constant action does not necessarily make for a good show.
Jan 24, 2009 7:03 AM

Feb 2008
MMO is life?
The internet was taken down for some time due to the Pluto's Kiss virus and this was the first game to be released after that event. I'd expect a huge following if that were the case.

Also this section of .hack is about mystery,can't go rushing around fighting although I admit theres not much action but there are other .hack media for that.Then again this is only episode 3.
Apr 21, 2009 10:32 AM

Mar 2009
I enjoyed this episode I understand a bit of this situation, I give 4/5 :D.
Jul 21, 2009 3:39 AM
Jul 2009
It's moving really slowly, but the idea is original so I'll keep watching it for at least a couple more episodes.
Aug 30, 2009 2:22 AM
Feb 2009
yh wdf nothin rele interestin is happening same crap they talk bout him not being able to logg >.>
Nov 25, 2009 9:17 PM

Oct 2008
So I found out the boys name is actually Tsukasa. and apparently he can't log out because he's actually not in front of the monitor? That would be kind of awful. D:

Also "Key of the twilight" gets mentioned. Probably plays a part of why Tsukasa can't log out?

I wonder what the cat is as well, since it keeps reappearing.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 18, 2009 12:49 PM

Mar 2009
This is moving sooo slowly.

Jan 23, 2010 11:07 PM

Oct 2009
really is going at slow pace.
Mar 7, 2010 4:37 AM

Nov 2008
ahlehx said:
really is going at slow a pace.

No wonder I didn't watch this on Toonami :P
Apr 10, 2010 3:19 AM

Dec 2009
I expected quite a lot from this anime.
But so far i'm really bored.
Jun 29, 2010 10:55 PM
Oct 2008
Agreed with all the slow pace comments, although we now know he existed sometime in the real world, keep feeling like i'm missing something. I'll watch a few more eps to see if it improves rather than dropping it now.
RAORJun 29, 2010 11:08 PM
Feb 10, 2011 3:15 PM

Apr 2009
It's kinda strange now. Those first few episode was kinda dull and not very interesting. Don't like op/ed, soundtrack isn't too good too, characters design also isn't too attractive and their personalities as well. And story is moving ultra slow too, but somehow it got me hooked a little bit by now, so i think it might be worth watching it further and hope that next episodes are going to improve.
Jun 12, 2011 10:55 AM
Apr 2011
The OP/ED are awful, but I like the music within the anime quite a lot. :D To be honest the first episode was fail, but I've enjoyed these next two. I'm definitely hooked!
Jun 19, 2011 8:13 PM

Jan 2011
Slow pace hope this picks up >.<
Formerly gutsyGumshoe
Nov 6, 2011 8:25 PM

May 2009
Whether Tsukasa's player actually exists has already been suggested twice in the past three episodes, actually.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 10, 2011 2:02 AM

Oct 2009
Wtf is this man seriously this show. It tries to be serious and brushes around the bushes for too long. Makes no sense and all 3 episodes so far could have been done in under one episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2011 4:41 AM
Dec 2010
I don't mind the pacing and have found the story thus far to be interesting, though it does take a little getting used to. I'm finding that it really demands one's full attention, lest some small but critical element get missed.

That's probably why I find mysef enjoying it... Action is great, but a good story that demands one's attention is too.
May 21, 2012 10:35 PM

Apr 2012
This isnt an action anime, its an anime that tells an original story, the .hack with chibi rena (blackrosee<3) is more based on action, however this anime is more of a hit or miss
Jul 17, 2012 2:03 AM
Jul 2012
Probably the worst anime i've ever seen, there's no interesting things, they always speak about over complicated and non interesting informations, and the main character is everything except charismatic.
For the music, the songs are awesome (Kajiura Yuki <3) but non adapted for the scenes in which we hear them.
Jul 23, 2012 10:11 PM

May 2011
Oh, man.
Watching this takes me back to playing the .hack games.

Yes, it's slow, but man, it's good to see these characters again. Reminds me of being in high school and thinking I knew everything.

Interesting, though, how Tsukasa's now appreciating his Guardian. And though he can control it, Bear didn't seem too excited.
Hmhmhmmmm.
Know an AMAZINGGG anime with a strong male lead?!?!11one//?!

TELLMEEEE.
NoSrsly, bby. I'll love you forever. But no romance. I mean, romance is fine between you and I, but I don't want to watch that crap, okay? Okay.
Jul 23, 2012 10:15 PM
Nov 2010
Kyuro said:
Probably the worst anime i've ever seen, there's no interesting things, they always speak about over complicated and non interesting informations, and the main character is everything except charismatic.
For the music, the songs are awesome (Kajiura Yuki <3) but non adapted for the scenes in which we hear them.
the purpose of the anime is to prepare the setting for the game
May 11, 2013 4:25 PM

Jul 2008
Sort of enjoying this so far. The music is the best thing about this show.

Not much happened this episode... main character learns to control the guardian and the gang speak about rumors of a hidden item... pretty much it.
Oct 20, 2013 2:37 PM

Aug 2012
Z-flame said:
Kyuro said:
the purpose of the anime is to prepare the setting for the game

Not quite. There's one other of the .hack series that would fit in that role tho.

That cat seemed so manipulative.
Jun 4, 2014 12:07 AM

Jul 2008
No real progress in this one except all of the other players oddly meeting together.
Feb 1, 2015 5:24 PM

Nov 2013
I'm interested in what kind of person Tsukasa is in real life and how his background (which, judging by the flashbacks we've seen, appears to be one marred by possible abuse and neglect) may have brought about his current dilemma. I assume he (or she, you never know) is playing the game as a form of escapism, but this doesn't explain why he's stuck in-game. I also hope we learn more about the other characters and of course The World itself.

I'm not going to comment on the pacing because it honestly doesn't bother me. If this show is indeed a character study like people say it is, then it should benefit from the deliberate pacing. Plus, this is clearly a mystery series so there needs to be some buildup.
Aug 15, 2015 5:04 AM

Aug 2012
The pacing is fine. Too many people have ADD nowadays.
Oct 14, 2017 8:40 PM

Nov 2015
I like the ending theme song! this is a rewatch for me, but i find it more interesting now than in my teenage days!

đź’˘

Mar 5, 2018 7:37 PM

Jul 2017
I love all the musick in this; not sure why people really hate it so much. This wasn't a particularly eventful episode. Tsukasa gained control of the guardian, and the others made some plans to catch him. There was something about the Key of the Twilight and another cat appearance. I'm interested in how Silver Knight recovered.
Jul 9, 2020 8:30 AM
Jul 2009
Most of the characters are either boring or annoying or both. The pacing is extremely slow. I just don't like this so far. I don't drop anything anymore though so I just hope it gets good.
I'm not a neko girl, I'm nyan-binary, hence the name
Yes I am an SJW.
No i will not scream at you for being a straight, white, cis, male.
I have important things to scream about and a finite amount of time in the day.
Feel free to talk to me, I only bite if you ask nicely :D
Sep 25, 2020 1:54 AM

Jun 2016
The last two episodes were fast compared to this one. If you told me that this was a recap episode, I'd just about believe it. Sure, some things happened, when we weren't watching the character talk to each other about Tsukasa, the Key of the Twilight, or something that was already brought up and hasn't changed since for 90% of the episode. Extend the last episode to be 10 seconds longer for the Bear/Guardian squabble and this episode could've been 2 minutes long without missing anything, what a waste.

CyanideKoolaid said:
it is actually telling a story. Constant action does not necessarily make for a good show.

Ever hear the adage "show, don't tell"? Constant dialogue doesn't necessarily make for a good story either. Lain had next to no action as well, but it showed a lot of its content through the visuals, something this anime could really afford to do. This may as well have been a book so far.
May 12, 2021 5:06 AM
May 2021
This was an interesting episode. At first, I was a little upset, because I thought it was glazing over what happened at the end of ep. 2, but then the flashbacks to that scene filled it in for me. Also, him training the Guardian made me think it was just a big dog lmao...

The reason I started this series is because I vaguely remember playing one of the games on my PS2 when I was younger, and I didn't know what it was. I don't think I ever finished it though.
May 17, 2023 8:56 AM
Oct 2020
Even if it's a bit slow, it's surely fascinating, can't wait to see what will happen next!

More topics from this board

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 18 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 29, 2008

22 by Lil-Bird »»
Mar 14, 9:46 PM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 10 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 25, 2009

14 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 5:52 PM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 5 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 23, 2009

26 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 7:13 AM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 4 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 23, 2009

38 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 6:34 AM

» [Deleted]

JustOscar - Jun 30, 2023

2 by Karinara »»
Jul 12, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.