Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 23, 2019 6:19 AM

Jul 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just got around watching this, well initially I had no plans on checking the movie out, but after I watched Jumanji 2 I needed more time to burn so I said "eh why not, couldnt be as bad as BNHA 1st movie" so I gave it a try and good lord it was amazing!
Funny how the movie I wasnt expecting to enjoy turned out to be the better one among the 2, granted Jumanji wasnt something to write home about but its the fcking trail blazing pie eating Jabroni beatin eyebrow raising eblow dropping people's champ and lil ol Kevin hart.
Anyhow back to the movie, it was fantastic, and this is coming from someone who doesnt even like BNHA that much cause the characters fucking sucks even if the story is fun.
Spoiler>

Honestly, I did not expect to enjoy this that much, really makes a difference when the actual heroes dont appear, I love All Might but this was really better because of him not being around at least for me.
While I say the climax of the fight had that KnY#19 vibe it really was only because there was a unique song that played while the battle was going on and emotions being high because of the reason behind it, but KnY one was still
miles better, I don't know why... maybe its because the song was better and the story behind that fight was something I can relate with more than going all out for some stranger cause I wanna be a hero but I can definitely imagine myself
going all out mad if some crazy nibba calls dibs on my lil sis and tells her "Im your bro now, you mine, and Ima make you burn in the sunlight if you dont obey" kind of thing.
Anyways overall it was a great movie! not really a fan of BNHA that much but this was really good.
8/10! sasuga BONES!
Dec 29, 2019 12:15 AM

Mar 2014
ok...
When Hirokoshi Kohei said it could may be the Climax of BokuAka, he didn't joke, this Movie could actually predicted how BokuAka will end... but because of this Movie, the ending of the actual series, must go PLUS ULTRA than this movie.

Animation? was a BLAST
Story? was well done, not that predictable, but really good I might say
and Enjoyment? Was really nice(;

I would give this a 9/10, because of the great Visuals, Story progress, and Hawks appeared so everything is good!

Are you having a trouble between watch or not to watch this movie?

I'd say, WATCH IT

See you in 2020(;
Jan 5, 2020 3:16 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Is it a canon?
Some said yes and some said no.
If it from the manga, will it give spoiler for anime-only viewer?
Feb 19, 2020 7:15 PM

Sep 2018
Where did you watch it?
Feb 26, 2020 2:19 PM
Jul 2017
Just watched it in cinemas. Really liked the final act of the film. As an anime only watcher id say there was only minor spoilers as the film takes place past season 4.
Feb 26, 2020 6:08 PM

Jul 2017
BRUH, THAT FUCKING FIGHT WHEN DEKU AND BAKUGO BOTH USED ONE FOR ALL. OMFG THAT WAS INSANE!!
Feb 26, 2020 7:08 PM

Nov 2014
Pretty underwhelming compared to first movie. Last battle is where all animators budget went tho.

Feb 26, 2020 7:20 PM
Apr 2018
Loved it! Unlike the first movie, ALL of 1A gets to show off, and we see how they’ll do when they’re pro heroes.

Chimera is my new favorite BnHA villain.
Feb 26, 2020 8:19 PM
Dec 2016
Seriously enjoyed it. Did todoroki kill chimera though? Cause that was (pardon the pun) cold in more ways than one.
Feb 26, 2020 8:30 PM

Jun 2011
God that movie was epic, I thought the first movie was enjoyable, but this movie put that movie to shame. There was literally no time to rest at all.

I love how everyone in Class 1A had their time to shine, it was great, I low-key want to see it in theaters again. This movie definitely gets a 10/10. It was fantastic.
Feb 26, 2020 9:18 PM

Dec 2014
Very enjoyable movie. I had a blast and the audience at my theater did too.

The first half hour was tons of fun and also wholesome showcasing all 1-A helping out on the island.

The plot progresses very fast after that at a nice brisk pace, never a dull moment after the villains arrive. There's tons of showcase for every character which is awesome, the fight sequences are gorgeous and stunningly animated. Bakugou in particular gets some of the absolute best sequences and choreography, just pure eye candy and loads of fun to watch. All of his entrances in particular deserve loads of praise to the team at Bones. They put some crazy effort into the production.

The story is pretty standard and expected for a movie from this series, can't really expect a lot. To be honest, my only gripe was Deku sharing One for All with Bakugou. Something like that would be incredible in the main story, if it actually happened and he really does give it up but since it's a movie, the weight of such an action is defeated by it's media as literally anyone would know it means they're just gonna cop it out at the end with some kinda random explanation which is essentially what happens. I wish they had figured out a way to do that final fight without the double One for All to make the stakes seem more real cause even though they tried to make Deku losing One for All so dramatic, we all know it's not gonna happen so it kinda defeats the purpose.
However, the good thing to come out of that was that it gave us some absolutely stellar animated fight sequences that were just incredible. The final attack on Nine by Bakugou and Deku was just crazy, that Yutaka Nakamura animation there though, just wow.

I'm curious, where is this movie set in the manga timeline? It clearly seems to be post S4, likely sometime in S5 because of some crazy spoiler drops. XD
Hopefully, the anime only people watching this, didn't know which were the spoilers. xD

All in all, extremely enjoyable, stunning production value. Just wish they had done the climax of the fight differently.
9/10
Feb 26, 2020 9:52 PM
Nov 2018
Gimme all that shonen hype! Super fun watch. Watching 1-a work together was awesome. Impact of deku “giving” OFA to bakugo definitely lessened when we find out deku still has it. I would have still been hyped if this concept was endgame for the main series.
Feb 27, 2020 1:53 AM
May 2013
the explanation given at the end by All Might as to why Deku still had OFA was so absurd my theater was laughing. and it's incredibly lame Bakugo doesn't remember any of it. In the end, nobody grew, and nothing changed. Kind of a pointless movie. Great animation, though...
Feb 27, 2020 6:23 AM

Jul 2017
@rtil same everyone in mine was too, only reason they did that tho cause these types of movies aren't meant to be cannon and just fun side stories and such, so it's more like they had to just do that explanation so it doesn't affect the main story.
Feb 27, 2020 2:05 PM

Dec 2014
Well just got home after watching this movie at the cinema must say I really enjoyed it however I feel I did enjoy the 1st movie more. What I did love about this movie thou is that we got the chance to see all of class 1A shine and see them use there quirks especially people who don't always get screen time in the anime
Feb 27, 2020 3:12 PM

Mar 2017
I watched this in Cinema today and I really liked it! The fight scenes were incredible (just like they are in the anime), I loved that all of Class A got to have their moment in the spotlight and that team-up between Deku & Bakugou.... it's the stuff that dreams are made of!

On the other hand, I didn't like that the villain was so similar to All For One because the whole terrifying thing about all for one is that the world has never seen a villain like him. Also, as far as them struggling so hard to beat him and Midoriya having to share One For All with Bakugou felt like something that would actually happen right at the end of the main series. What I'm (badly) trying to say is I felt like that battle that would be better seen in the canon story in the future but with All For One.
I'm not sure if I explained myself well there but y'know... haha

Also, am I the only manga reader who noticed that there were some potential spoilers in the movie?
Feb 27, 2020 6:19 PM

Jul 2012
It was good! A bit too over the top but enjoyable overall and pretty balanced with showing all of the UA students. It kind of became like Dragon Ball Z where it was about who had the higher power level.

Production value really good, nice OST too.

7/10
Feb 28, 2020 11:44 AM

Oct 2014
Really enjoyed this movie. As someone who can't normally stand Bakugou I feel like this movie did him some justice, him and Deku finally (properly) working together was amazing, such good teamwork.

All the fights were brilliant. The Chimera guy seemed extremely powerful, Todoroki's attack was insane!

The only thing I didn't really like was how Deku "gave up" OFA... Don't get me wrong, everything that followed was absolutely amazing, but yeah, wasn't a fan of that choice/concept. Feels like it goes against the entire show, and everything that Deku/All-might have been striving for. (Not to mention it felt a little like a cheap cop out, especially with Bakugou forgetting it all. 🤷‍♂️) Aside from that, great movie. Was worth the watch.
Feb 28, 2020 2:58 PM

Feb 2010
I wish Chimera was in the main story, he was my favorite thing about the movie.
Feb 28, 2020 4:52 PM

Jan 2017
Honestly, I never liked Midoriya as a main character but Him sharing One for all with that trash of a character named Bakugou is even more stupid than I can handle, He once again proved that He do not even deserve the power He has and only got it because All might was fool enough to give that much power to a random fanboy he encountered without even looking to a candidate His previous partner offered first. Once Again Bnha continues to be a story of Random hero fan boy Becoming the strongest hero because of the plot convenience. What an overrated mediocre shounen
Feb 28, 2020 5:02 PM

Aug 2010
Nobody5464 said:
Seriously enjoyed it. Did todoroki kill chimera though? Cause that was (pardon the pun) cold in more ways than one.

No, it shows Chimera getting arrested at the end of the movie.

I really enjoyed this movie, except the ending seemed like a cop-out when they said “the power didn’t fully transfer” etc.
Feb 28, 2020 5:36 PM
Feb 2020
The movie was very half assed.
Story is empty.
Feb 28, 2020 6:16 PM
Dec 2016
squidlet said:
Nobody5464 said:

No, it shows Chimera getting arrested at the end of the movie.

I really enjoyed this movie, except the ending seemed like a cop-out when they said “the power didn’t fully transfer” etc.

All might actually dismissed that theory right after saying it. What actually happened was the past holders of one for all who are inside the power chose to keep it with deku
Feb 28, 2020 6:20 PM
Dec 2016
rtil said:
the explanation given at the end by All Might as to why Deku still had OFA was so absurd my theater was laughing. and it's incredibly lame Bakugo doesn't remember any of it. In the end, nobody grew, and nothing changed. Kind of a pointless movie. Great animation, though...
what exactly was so absurd about it? The past holders inside one for all decided to keep it with deku. Them having influence has been set up before

Zerity said:
@rtil same everyone in mine was too, only reason they did that tho cause these types of movies aren't meant to be cannon and just fun side stories and such, so it's more like they had to just do that explanation so it doesn't affect the main story.

Actually Horikoshi said the movie is canon. He had a panel of nine in the manga. First mentions the transportation of nine by the league in a manga chapter and wrote 2 mini mangas for this movie one of which gives more of nines history.
Feb 28, 2020 6:34 PM
May 2013
Nobody5464 said:
rtil said:
what exactly was so absurd about it? The past holders inside one for all decided to keep it with deku. Them having influence has been set up before

because now OFA has gone from being an echo of consciousness and compounding of power to an "avatar state" of sorts where the actual spirits of previous users still exist and can exact their will. this is a brand new piece of information that we're hearing from All Might for the first time, which means the lore was added specfically to normalize the plot for the end of the movie. why do this when Bakugo simply could have transferred OFA back to Deku in the end? He's already kept the secret about him being All Might's successor, there's no reason why he couldn't do this for him as well. It would have been a great character moment, as Bakugo would wholeheartedly reject OFA and would instead want to rely on his own quirk to become the #1 hero. but instead, he has memory loss and we get some asspull that turns OFA into a supernatural power.

to me, all this says is that OFA is just whatever it needs to be to suit the needs of the plot. it's an inconsistent power that is becoming so strong that Deku might as well be the Goku of the series in terms of power creep.

and it's just upsetting they nullified any development between Deku and Bakugo's rivalry here. they had more development in a single episode of season 3 than this entire movie.
Feb 28, 2020 8:29 PM

Jul 2012
CrimsonRuin said:
The only thing I didn't really like was how Deku "gave up" OFA... Don't get me wrong, everything that followed was absolutely amazing, but yeah, wasn't a fan of that choice/concept. Feels like it goes against the entire show, and everything that Deku/All-might have been striving for. (Not to mention it felt a little like a cheap cop out, especially with Bakugou forgetting it all. 🤷‍♂️) Aside from that, great movie. Was worth the watch.
Yeah, it's pretty much a cop-out lol. Basically who has the highest power level. Two OFA >>> the villain dude
Feb 28, 2020 8:57 PM
Dec 2016
rtil said:
Nobody5464 said:

because now OFA has gone from being an echo of consciousness and compounding of power to an "avatar state" of sorts where the actual spirits of previous users still exist and can exact their will. this is a brand new piece of information that we're hearing from All Might for the first time, which means the lore was added specfically to normalize the plot for the end of the movie. why do this when Bakugo simply could have transferred OFA back to Deku in the end? He's already kept the secret about him being All Might's successor, there's no reason why he couldn't do this for him as well. It would have been a great character moment, as Bakugo would wholeheartedly reject OFA and would instead want to rely on his own quirk to become the #1 hero. but instead, he has memory loss and we get some asspull that turns OFA into a supernatural power.

to me, all this says is that OFA is just whatever it needs to be to suit the needs of the plot. it's an inconsistent power that is becoming so strong that Deku might as well be the Goku of the series in terms of power creep.

and it's just upsetting they nullified any development between Deku and Bakugo's rivalry here. they had more development in a single episode of season 3 than this entire movie.

Are you anime only because I have an argument to counter you but I don’t wanna say it if your anime only
Feb 29, 2020 5:41 AM
May 2013
Nobody5464 said:
rtil said:

Are you anime only because I have an argument to counter you but I don’t wanna say it if your anime only

i am. so i probably won't know what you're talking about for a long time, lol. thanks for asking, though.
Feb 29, 2020 8:24 AM

Jul 2017
Nobody5464 said:
rtil said:

Zerity said:

Actually Horikoshi said the movie is canon. He had a panel of nine in the manga. First mentions the transportation of nine by the league in a manga chapter and wrote 2 mini mangas for this movie one of which gives more of nines history.

yeah "cannon" he made those mini manga after they wanted to make another movie and he made it, the way the story is written and the fact that it won't be mentioned again in the series is cause it's clearly not. Him wiring those mini manga and having a cameo of nine in the main series promotes the movie and makes people wanna see it more than if it was a side story.
Feb 29, 2020 12:11 PM

Dec 2010
Well, that was about as mediocre as I expected it to be.

They should've just released a 5 minute video showing OfA!Bakugou and it would've delivered the same amount of satisfaction.
Feb 29, 2020 12:21 PM
Dec 2016
Zerity said:
Nobody5464 said:

yeah "cannon" he made those mini manga after they wanted to make another movie and he made it, the way the story is written and the fact that it won't be mentioned again in the series is cause it's clearly not. Him wiring those mini manga and having a cameo of nine in the main series promotes the movie and makes people wanna see it more than if it was a side story.
It’s still canon
Feb 29, 2020 12:39 PM
Feb 2017
ErinaNakiri1 said:
Honestly, I never liked Midoriya as a main character but Him sharing One for all with that trash of a character named Bakugou is even more stupid than I can handle, He once again proved that He do not even deserve the power He has and only got it because All might was fool enough to give that much power to a random fanboy he encountered without even looking to a candidate His previous partner offered first. Once Again Bnha continues to be a story of Random hero fan boy Becoming the strongest hero because of the plot convenience. What an overrated mediocre shounen

Someone must have a hate boner for the series, and definitely not just pulling his hateful bias against things that are obvious.
Feb 29, 2020 12:42 PM
Feb 2017
Fantastic movie. A LOT better than the first one. Actually felt like everyone was incredibly important in the final battle (except invisible girl, useless character). Still wondering if giving up season 4 animation was worth for the movie, kind of think it was since season 4 as a whole has been a big downgrade.

9/10
Feb 29, 2020 1:15 PM
Jun 2019
Ok that whole island debacle was just plain nuts in all the right ways, dang the animators went all out here and it payed off. And it was rather nice seeing (almost) all of 1-A getting to go all out. And did anyone else see Bakugou after the transfer and think "you look like Naruto" Do wish he kept at least some memory of the thing though. 8.5 from me (if half scores were possible at least)
Feb 29, 2020 1:54 PM

Sep 2014
After the first movie I had really low expectations for this one, but it turned out to be much more enjoyable than I expected! The gentle slice of life scenes at the start were nice, the fight scenes were exciting, and it was a little shocking to see the slow-paced remote island turn into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It was heartwarming that Deku got a chance to encourage someone the way he'd always wanted as a kid.

The big climax had me raising my eyebrows like 'Really?? How are they going to undo this?' but the end was a huge letdown. Oops sorry it was a miracle so everything's going back to the way it was, and by the way Bakugo won't remember any of it. That's almost as bad as a wake-up-and-it-was-all-a-dream ending. It would have been interesting if the main story would actually develop in that direction, with Deku passing on One for All and trying to fight alongside someone else before his power runs out the way All Might did. But I guess that's out of the question now. Forcing the movie to fit into canon cheapened everything else that happened.

Anyway the animation eye candy was good, the villains were interesting, and we got to see 1-A strut their stuff, so I can't complain too much. Also Hawks rocks.
Feb 29, 2020 4:33 PM
May 2013
JustOppais said:
rtil said:

i am. so i probably won't know what you're talking about for a long time, lol. thanks for asking, though.
all you need to know is we got Ofa info a long time ago in the manga.

if you're saying they left something out in the anime then i can't speak to that but i wouldn't be surprised, either.

throughout 4 years and 4 seasons i've only watched back when they came out, all i can remember is that Deku is the 9th holder of OFA, and that the powers of each previous holder are carried on to the next.
Feb 29, 2020 6:26 PM

Jul 2017
Nobody5464 said:
Zerity said:

It’s still canon

I see but I must digress.
Feb 29, 2020 6:33 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I've been waiting for HR since last August. I remember when we first got leaks about the movie and then about the general premise and then back in December how the Japanese fans reacted. My excitement has escalated since.

So let me set this straight, this movie really has no riveting plot and if you're asking for the movie to build up depth that YOU as a MANGA READER are not caught up with then you will NOT love this movie to full capacity. That is the reality.

This is a fan movie; it brings the elements fans love from the manga and ices it with sakuga and ramped up dramatics. Lots of shounen movies raise the stakes but I think HR actually put the emotional element that I do not see in 98% of these movies or if I do it does not feed into the canon and can be placed pretty much anywhere in the series timeline.

Kacchan and Deku's relationship here really is the core focus of this movie and really cements all of the work put in from KvsD2. Their trust, hearts, and soul were put on display, it's the real pay off it you've been rooting for their partnership and growth since the beginning. So much to highlight but personally one of the more subtle scenes of Bakugou listening to Deku as he tells Katsuma his reason for being a hero (and basically says how him and Kacchan both have the same goals) paying so much attention that his ice cream melts while lost in Deku's words. They are one of my favorite aspects of the series and though I had been spoiled a lot for what had happened, my heart has never beat so far while just sitting. The intensity.

The Endeavor vs Dabi battle was sheer spectacle (the scar was there I saw it!!) Hawks appearing being cocky and loveable, my theatre was excited. Hawks didn't have to be there but it did kind of foreshadow the kind of affairs he's tangling with.

Mahoro and Katsuma were precious I absolutely love them and hope they return later in the manga especially if he previews the future of UA. I wish they could have had more time to get to know them but I know it would've been a feat to get that all down in less than 2 hours; I feel the same sentiment for Nine and his crew, you can tell there was a lot left on the cutting room floor with Chimera being the only one having an inkling of a cause. Slice and Mummy didn't get that and Nine just wanting what every bad guy wants is annoying to say the least but his power and reason for wanting the quirks were fairly interesting (again why it would've been cooler to build this more in the background of the manga) Also I know Nine's story gets more light shed in the Volume R that was given at the Japanese release. Wish they'd not leave America out of important supplementary material like that.

The Class was also given so much more spotlight, just about everyone got a turn to show off. Including those who don't get enough. Aoyama, Sero, Mineta, and Tokoyami were some jaw droppers. Tsuyu, Momo, and Mina played great roles too. But by far biggest MVP was Shouji. And the more extreme hinting of his mutant status that's been very prevalent in the worlds background, WE NEED THE ARC. The way he protected the kids with his dying breath, INCREDIBLE.

I could probably speak more to all the small details. Hawks meeting up with Tokoyami was a great add. The scene with Nine trying to kill Mahoro and the scene paralleling Deku's rescue of Kacchan back in ChapterOne/Ep2 was gripping. Kacchan and Deku finally reaching out to each other circling their childhood was heart wrenching. I probably could catch more on my second viewing But it was all such splendor.

I'm rating this as a shounen movie with the excellence of giving this fan everything she could've asked for, I wish certain parts of the story were buffed up and I know people are all sore on certain REALISM aspects of the OFA transfer and shit but I will give it room or error and nitpicking: 9/10

xkazutox said:
Is it a canon?
Some said yes and some said no.
If it from the manga, will it give spoiler for anime-only viewer?

If you're anime only you can watch the movie but the reality is there is a lot of homage and pay perks if you're all caught up; as due to what Horikoshi spoke to in an interview during the release of the film.

Also as far as the movie, it is canonical :

People can fight me on this but with as much as Hori was involved and how much he cares about this movie over what he did for TH. It's really obvious; he also wanted this to be the original ending at one point.
Mar 1, 2020 5:52 PM

Aug 2012
There was a whole lot of dumb in the final fight but otherwise this was a really fun time. Even with my problems with how the climax played, I still walked away from this movie having had a good time, and ultimately I liked it much better than the first movie (which isn't much of a high bar). Unlike the first movie, this one didn't spend too much of the beginning recapping everything to the audience (if anything, this movie expected the audience to know more about the story then they were willing to tell [at least in the context of the western world, since I'm assuming many of the viewers are anime only like myself]) which is something I prefer, and we didn't have to waste time explaining how all the students managed to conveniently arrive at the island. Also unlike the first movie, they actually cared about the villains to an extent, the first movie didn't even bother naming the big bad, Heroes Rising does the bare minimum and also gives some efforts to establishing his character (I don't think Nine's a great character or anything, but at least there's an attempt). And I feel like Mahoro & especially Katsuma work better than Melissa does as the OC friendly characters since their feelings on heroism more directly connect to the thematic backbone of MHA, and they also tied well into the core focus of the film, Deku & Bakugo's relationship. I don't mean my review of this to just be thinly veiled insults to Two Heroes though so moving on.

I really enjoyed how well the movie made use of all the U-A students. Pretty much every class-mate had a role to play and while some were certainly smaller than others, it was still nice to see all of them contribute in some way. Pretty much everyone felt meaningful to their victory. In fairness though, I couldn't actually tell you what Hagakure did but everyone else I can remember at least a moment. And Tokoyami got a good amount and he's one of my favourites that I feel hasn't been used as much so loved that. I also appreciated the utilization of quirks on the heroes side. The villains weren't really interesting and more just power threats to be stopped, but the takedown of Chimera was cool because it required several tandem uses of power, as did dividing them up and the whole bit with Uraraka, Sero, etc. And In general, I enjoyed the character moments with Bakugo and Deku. There's a lot I don't like about the final fight but one thing I'll credit it for, is the moment Deku decides to transfer One For All to Bakugo felt genuine to both. I loved Bakugo questioning whether or not Deku will even be able to use it, I like to think that was him showing some concern for Deku's sacrifice.

Everything else about the final fight, I didn't really care for. Starting with Nine's ridiculous power-up. I wasn't really the fan of the whole establishing Nine's sole weakness and then at the last minute it turns out that exploiting that weakness just made him infinitely more powerful. Look, I do like the idea of giving the villain the last minute desperation power-up but A. the motivations and reasons for Nine's desire of a world ruled by power wasn't explored enough to make it an emotionally compelling moment for him and B. it just felt like typical over-the-top shonen BS power up. I was kinda already growing tired of the fight in the first place, so it was just kinda draining to see it continuing one. The concept of Deku transferring One For All is an interesting one but a lot of that is due to the consequences of it. Obviously the series couldn't actually end here, which meant I knew this wasn't going to have any lasting effect, and I was curious to see how they'd reset the status quo but this also robbed the fight of it's power. I know the sacrifice Deku makes will have no actually impact, and again I did find the character moments genuine so it wasn't all for nothing but it did mean at that point I knew the fight was on auto-win mode and it was robbed of any dramatic tension as a result. Secondly, the fight was just boring. I saw the movie five days ago in theatres, and outside of Bakugo's stupid hair I couldn't really tell you much about the choreography. Don't get me wrong, it was expertly animated with plenty of colourful bright effects that made it visually appealing but nothing in the fight itself was very memorable. I couldn't even tell you what the finishing blow was, I think they both punched him or something?

Finally Might+U played over the final fight and if I'm correct I believe the song was composed for this movie and just inserted into the Overhaul arc but damn you couldn't tell by watching it. It's horribly unfitting in Heroes Rising and no effort is made to sync it up to the action, they just kinda play it over the final fight scene. The lyrics also don't really pertain to the situation, you could argue the "We" is meant to represent Deku and Bakugo in that moment which is fair enough but it's played when their focus is on defeating Nine, Katsuma himself isn't really being presented at this point so it doesn't come across as a comfort to him. Conversely, when it plays in the Overhaul arc, it's while Deku is mostly focused on saving Eri, that's the core emotion driving the scene so the lyrics match up as sort of reassurance to Eri herself, with her deciding to jump into Deku's arms (Using Mirio's tattered cape, making Mirio and Deku the "We") so it resonates a lot stronger on a emotional level since it more directly ties into the scene. Not only that, in the Overhaul arc, it's synced up to the visuals, the song hits it's strongest climatic notes as Deku finally has Eri safe in his arms again, and the way it peters out after his 100% attack on Overhaul gives me chills. It effectively utilized the song to make the most of the scene but in the movie, it's just the backing track to the action. And Might+U isn't a good backtrack to action sequences.

And obviously I have issues with One For All deciding "fuck it, give the kids a break" and Bakugo magically forgetting the whole One For All thing (which I assume is somehow One For All's doing). I know Nine's destructive power was made as a vehicle so Deku could share One For All with Bakugo, but instead it just comes across as a cheap way to defeat the big bad's, a Deus Ex Machina. And maybe if this was Fairy Tail or something I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I since I felt like this movie previously did a good job of capturing the spirit of My Hero Academia, this one having such a consequence-less ending hurts it a little more because yeah, one of the good things about My Hero Academia is it's lasting consequences. Don't do something so drastic at the end game if you're just going to immediately sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened.

Those three paragraphs of bitching aside, I'm still giving this a 7/10. It was on track for an 8/10 but the aforementioned issues I had with it knock it down a peg. Overall this was still mostly a fun time with the students of Class 1-A and there were several entertaining fighting sequences. I even like the final notes like Bakugo asking Deku if he has to say goodbye to those kids and stuff, and Shigaraki looked like a BAMF Dante in that red coat, I hope that's one of those manga spoilers the movie featured.
Mar 1, 2020 10:45 PM

Dec 2013
Wow, that was hype! Definitely an improvement from the first movie. Nine was a villain that I could actually get behind. Hopefully the Bluray comes out soon.
Mar 2, 2020 11:17 PM

May 2015
About what I expected as usual. Contrived storyline that doesn't really have a place in the main story and just backpedals any consequences at the end. Definitely more impressive production than Two Heroes, but I really didn't have any emotional attachment to what was happening. I'm glad these movies perform so well, but I don't see myself rewatching this even for the fights 6/10

Mar 3, 2020 3:17 AM
Jun 2016
Saw it at the weekend and loved it. Decent plot, Great music and nice looking animation
Mar 4, 2020 9:54 PM
Shōjo Specialist

Oct 2014
Just watched it in the theatre.
Now I’ve ONLY watched S1 Ep1-5 and the first movie so keep that in mind.

Over all I enjoyed the movie. Many of the VA’s were great. I easily picked out Ayers and Bosch. The story was slow to start although I appreciated the monologue intro by Deku to explain the basics in simple terms for a MHA Cherry like me to understand. The climax music was good but some parts of the climax dragged on a bit. The first movie did a better job I think.

The build up and exploration of what happens before the villains appeared on Nebu was great. I enjoy slice of life action hero stuff like that. FS was very clever and tricky to identify. The climax peak and the after glow with All Might was a bit hard to understand. It was like a monologue that even he was confused about.

The restoration was rushed and departure was so very cliche. They could have done something different with that.

The interactions between Deku and Katsuma were repetitive and cookie cutter. That should have been a bit more diverse. I also this Katsuma should have developed a bit more than he did during the climax or after.

Momo was hot!

7 out of 10.
Mar 6, 2020 11:00 AM

Mar 2019
This movie was amazing from the animation to the music I loved it all. Lots of moments between Deku and Bakugo, I love seeing there relationship growing and see the two kids in the movie again. That last fight was one of the best fight scenes I've seen so far. I can't wait to see more My Hero Academia moments animated like this movie
Mar 7, 2020 1:33 PM

Sep 2017
I went into this expecting to be disappointed based on the complaints of a vocal few, and actually came out feeling about as okay as I did with the first one, if not better. While this wasn't even approaching the level of a masterpiece, the movie was good enough to keep me entertained. The climax, which some have described as an asspull, wasn't all that unrealistic for me and the decision made sense given the circumstances. In fact, it was how the story retconned it afterwards to make the movie make canonical sense that bothered me more than anything else. I wish they had made more original music like the first movie did, but besides that this was an enjoyable movie and is on par with its predecessor. 7/10.

Mar 8, 2020 3:35 AM

Nov 2018
This movie was alot better than the 1st one, it wasn't that funny but story was better cause it was canon canon this time. Nine was way more generic than I thought which sucks ass but I saw some of his backstory from Volume R so I guess it made up for it a lil. Chimera was fucking awesome lol might of been my favorite thing of the movie.

Also idk why but I loved when Tokoyami lost it against Slice when she injured Mina and afterwards she petting Dark Shadow I liked seeing alot no cap. Anyone else liked this interaction?
Mar 13, 2020 7:21 AM

Feb 2014
Fantastic animation and an original story score. Studio Bones really upped their game on this one. More like a coming of age story for the two main starlets of the series.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 15, 2020 6:36 AM
Mar 2012
Simple but nice plot. Movie1 had All Might backstory but the rest slightly bored me like a game level fight up a skyscraper, even the super smooth climax fight was monotonic.
Movie2 however constantly kept things moving & never bored, switching between the mainland vs island, collecting motives, from beach work sol to hero missions, and focus on several groups (besides Bakugo + Deku, tho their fight is absolutely epic).
There's more ability combos and tactics over plain brute strength like allmight fights, and highlights sides that needed more screentime.
Tokoyami + Asido combo was surprising but nice. Serotape + Uraraka is way stronger than TV ever showed individually.
Perhaps due to the pairing or more thought put into impact & pacing, the climax fight is way better than movie1 (not art but animation side maybe competes with HF2).
Jul 6, 2020 1:04 AM

Jan 2019
Fuck that final fight was a phenomenal (such sakuga).
I see why Season 4's animation in some scenes were shit like that.
The plot was decent I guess.
The ending theme was fantastic, Sumika did a great job again.
Overall this movie was worth it,
If the blu-ray release in my country, I'll buy it for sure.

8/10 for me.
Holo no Graffiti is the best anime of all time... peko
Jul 10, 2020 5:52 AM
Jun 2017
the first half of movie makes me sleepy as it only involves a little action or just some typical story plot but that second half especially the last part where bakugo and midoriya is facing nine is just awesome... using 2 one for all is just amazing...

by the way for the those League of villains is way strong for them as of this moment but atleast they have able to pull that one off..
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Spoiler] Question PogChamp

CickNipolla - Jan 13, 2022

13 by SonoAltoComeLevi »»
Sep 19, 2023 12:44 PM

» This movie is full of plot holes[Spoilers]

MegamiRem - Jul 10, 2020

14 by removed-user »»
Aug 13, 2022 1:13 AM

» Do you prefer Nine's group or Shigaraki's?

Scordolo - Jun 24, 2021

18 by Sol_Ou »»
Apr 11, 2022 5:02 PM

» what does 'A new visual has just been added for this spring/2021 anime" mean

NicoTheAllMighty - Feb 4, 2021

12 by Gammix »»
Oct 2, 2021 9:09 AM

» When to watch

crechi - Sep 25, 2021

5 by removed-user »»
Sep 30, 2021 11:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.