Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 4, 2015 7:04 PM

Aug 2014
#LoveMisato2K15
May 25, 2015 8:48 PM

Sep 2014
Misato Strikes Back! Ep 7.

Plot-This ep showed good background info/worldbuilding with a new weapon to combat Angels as well as Nerv's darkness. The tension was good and seeing how others view Nerv draws back to ep 1 with those generals.

Character-Misato shines in her role as a soldier. It also gives hints to her intelligence as she can tell that the whole thing was a stage. Ritsuko shares the spotlight with her own actions and that there is a dark side to her as well. Bonus points go to Shinji who can now talk crap back to Misato. Good on ya kid.

3/5. Not that high on my priorities but still good for the narrative.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
May 28, 2015 12:17 PM

Jan 2013
Seems Misato surprised even Gendo, barely surviving with a few seconds left.
Second Impact was covered up (obviously)
Jun 9, 2015 5:47 PM

Dec 2009
Misato appears to suffer from alcoholism drinking everyday and first thing in the morning, not cool.
Episode was ok.
Such junk...
Jul 10, 2015 2:18 AM

Jan 2014
It's a conspiracy!
Hmm... Can't wait to find out why they don't want to use Jet Alone yet... :)
And yeah, the red girl, can't wait to see her! :)
Aug 7, 2015 10:59 PM

Aug 2015
I laughed when Misato actually came out all dressed up and classy first thing in the morning while Shinji AND the penguin looked all shocked! :P Plus, that was super sweet at the end how Shinji's friends revealed to him how he's Misato's family now. ^^ ★4/5
Oct 13, 2015 9:56 PM

Apr 2014
It's nice to see Shinji acting so casual, smiling, and acting sarcastic in a positive joking manner for once.

Ah, so NERV sabotaged the JA in order to secure their position as the "saviour" of humanity. There would be no reason to bring down a potential ally in protecting the world if they hadn't possessed any ulterior motives. The Eva project appears to be a means to achieve an objective that is highly unethical. NERV wants all the funding they can obtain and will eliminate any threat to their goals or existence it appears. I'm assuming that Human Instrumentality Project is a part of them.

So Misato wasn't in on their plan. She was badass in deactivating the JA and relinquishes most if not all doubt regarding her qualifications and abilities for her position. She doesn't hesitate to risk her life in order to do what she believes is right. Skillful and tenacious with a heart of gold, an excellent pawn as long as the chessmaster manages to mask their ill-intentions.

"Acts of men are better than acts of god."

-Misato Katsuragi

Nov 21, 2015 7:42 AM

Feb 2013
Damn, I was really scared Misato was gonna die this episode, glad she didn't >_<.

But wow, so it was the father who was behind that robot malfunctioning, and the blonde chick was in on it too. It seems *saving the world* isn't NERV's only objective :/.
Dec 3, 2015 2:54 PM

Nov 2012
Thought Misato was going to die there for a second.

Gendo sabotages the JA,no shocker here.

Asuka finally going to appear!
Dec 28, 2015 6:32 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

The only one I'm giving 4/5 (rest get 5).

You just watched the worst episode in the entire series... and it wasn't really that bad either.

The one takeaway from this is, to quote the fan-dub re-death, "It's NERV or nothin". NERV will not allow anyone to interfere with their plans... or get a piece of their budget.
Jul 1, 2016 5:15 PM

Feb 2016
Im wondering why the incorrect password was ''hope'' and if it will be relevant in the later episodes.
Aug 4, 2016 11:33 AM

Aug 2016
Misato going full BA this episode, Shinji sure isen't expierenced with people, they had to point him aout that Misato is just feeling comfortable around him.

4/5
Sep 17, 2016 8:20 AM

Jun 2016
I thought this episode was top-notch, how could this possibly be called filler? Damn is this series intriguing as fuck.

Just the previous episode it felt like Shinji's dad has some redeeming qualities, but in this one he goes and sabotages what looked like a decent idea. I'm not sure what to think of him.
Oct 29, 2016 4:02 PM

Aug 2014
Scumbag Gendo strikes again.

Oh boy, I'm not looking forward at all to the character that's going to appear in the next episode -_-
Jan 2, 2017 12:24 PM

Feb 2013
Wait, the Second Impact was when the first Angel appeared and destroyed Antartica? What was the First Impact?

I'm glad Shinji is starting to question the origin of the Eva units. In the end of the first episode Unit 01 "looked" at Shinji. Like it was alive. He also comments how it smells of blood too. Hmm.

That whole incident was a set up by Nerv but why? Maybe we'll learn later on. Nervous doesn't seem to like the idea or remote controlled giant robots with multiple people and prefer the piloted ones like Unit 01.

Man, Misato is awesome. I always hear arguments about whether Rei or Asuka is best girl but so far I think Misato to is.

Speaking of Asuka, looks like she appears next episode based on the preview.
Jan 11, 2017 7:25 PM

Sep 2015
Whew Misato is safe
Apr 25, 2017 7:22 AM

Jun 2016
Nowhere near as good an episode as the ones before. This was the weakest one so far. The plot was predictable to say the least.
Sep 4, 2017 10:16 AM

Nov 2016
Misato kicked ass and nice that Shinji can appreciate her manner more now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 29, 2017 6:42 PM

Jul 2013
This episode makes me love Misato even more. She is starting to become one of my favorite characters in the series.
Jan 20, 2018 6:34 PM

Apr 2015
I've gotta admit I wasn't the most interested in this episode, considering how much I enjoyed Shinji and Rei really starting to get to know each other last episode. It was interesting enough, though...their technology that allegedly wouldn't go rogue as they shittalked EVA wound up going rogue. How ironic.

Gendo sabotaging Misato is definitely shifty.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 16, 2018 5:20 PM

Mar 2016
This is a good episode, it shows the relationship between Shinji and Misato and how much they care for each there. One morning they are having a cheerful breakfast, then they work together to bring a nuclear-powered robot from blowing up!
In addition to that, the truth about the second impact and NERV's true purpose are finally revealed. (What was the first impact then?)

A new character will come next episode...
Feb 17, 2018 12:21 AM

Dec 2015
@ShadowZ_AnimeZ The First Impact was the one giving birth to the Moon.
Feb 17, 2018 2:39 AM

Mar 2016
Rei366 said:
@ShadowZ_AnimeZ The First Impact was the one giving birth to the Moon.

Ohhh... Alright, thanks for telling me that!
Mar 2, 2018 12:49 AM

Sep 2017
I liked Dr. Akagi's point on untested nuclear energy use. Her points coincide with mine. She is both smart and intelligent and hot.

Seems the angels came by second impact and that there is government corruption involvement in the authorizing the NERV program.

Also, the stopping the robot was cool. We get to see Misato in action after her being in the command seat most of the time. Also, I liked the filler moments.

But what really sold me on this episode was the ending. When Shinji complains about Misato being embarrassing, his friends say that is because she shows a side of her that she doesn't to someone else: she's family. I had tears in my eyes. That's truly deep.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 9, 2018 9:40 AM

Feb 2018
Didn't even realize that it was Gendo behind the sabotage, until i read from someone here, you really have to be 110% concentrated when watching NGE, or it's easy to miss the details.

The end justifies the means, huh.

Does this mean that if Misato didn't interfere, Nerv would have let the robot blow up and have a giant nuclear explosion near the city? Wow...
I mean, they could have stopped it they same way they did now, of course, but how would they explain it?
A_Haiku_UnlooseMar 9, 2018 9:51 AM
May 13, 2018 1:15 AM

Aug 2017
Nice episode about about Misato. A lot of interesting things were revealed. The Second Impact, NERV and the UN and that mean organization. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 24, 2018 9:38 PM

Feb 2017
"Come to think of it, just what is the Eva?" You're asking the questions I want answered, Shinji.
Dec 5, 2018 10:12 AM

Aug 2016
If this was teh weakest episode, I think I am alright watching the rest. Also interesting sight into politics and economics behing Evangelion. They are making up to 6 or 8 units or what was highest number of project while having no more then two pilots? Interesting. Also some forshadowings.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2018 4:14 AM

Aug 2013
Nice episode. Misato was great.

Jan 9, 2019 6:43 PM
Jan 2019
A very underated epsiode. Despite not being as good as the last 2 ones this one have some good things about it. I think it's nice to focus on other things and not just Nerv and Angels, it not just show Shinji's life and how he's adapting with his new life and also shows that NERV isn't the only one capable of doing something in this post-apocalyptic world. It helps to create a world development and create a bigger scenario than just the main characters life.
Jan 29, 2019 6:05 AM

Jan 2015
So uninteresting episode. Next episode the well-known Asuka.
Apr 22, 2019 8:54 AM

May 2016
Misato was really awesome in this episode. She was sassy, stylish, and bad-ass! Stopping that Jet Alone prototyype gone rogue by getting right inside of it despite the risk of being in the heart of a potential nuclear meltdown and stopping it from exploding by pushing the cooling rods back was very tense. I hope that the radioactive activity doesn't give her any side effects.

I'm probably just as naive as Shinji because I actually didn't realize that silver lining to her carefree onee-san attitude at home until they pointed it out. Aww ♥

Asuka's gonna debut on the next episode, oh my.

May 16, 2019 8:42 AM
Apr 2016
Well, that was really really close, she almost died...good that she survived, somehow.
Jul 5, 2019 1:32 AM

Jul 2009
Good episode! I already have a feeling Ritsuko had a hand with JA's malfunction. Especially the way she smirk when she was burning that document O__O

Misato saves the day! Despite her sloppiness and acting like a child. When it comes to real life danger. She knows how to prepare and be serious about the situation.

I'll always prefer her easy side of things :)

Also, they really animated Misato "well" in this episode :D

Asuka is next!
Jul 23, 2019 1:01 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This episode always get bad press, as the one filler episode in the series. I disagree, I think it's a great vehicle for showing how awesome Misato Katsuragi really is. Caring, brave, sassy, determined...all in one. It also portrays how ruthless NERV is and how they will stop at nothing to get what they want.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 5, 2019 6:07 AM

Oct 2012
Huh so who's the one set it up?
Are they really going to leave it as it is?
"Signature removed"
Oct 29, 2019 9:25 PM

Sep 2011
So Nerv was sabotaging their rivals? Maybe they are doing this with good intentions, since they need a bigger budget and know they are the only hope for the humanity.

Misato is a incredible character, my favorite in the series.
Dec 13, 2019 5:10 AM
Sep 2016
"There is absolutely no danger."
Taxi for one, please.

"Observe from that window, knowing that you are completely safe."
Now. Right now.
Jul 11, 2020 3:53 PM

Dec 2010
Misato is just as cool as the public opinion about her. I love the conspiracy buildup too. I'm surprised at this show's ability to contain important pieces of character and plot development in a single episode - you would think that the purpose of our current day's single-cour approach is to give us only the important bits without padding or filler episodes, but old shows instead manage to prove something I've been thinking for a long time - what is actually being cut in the production of most modern shows is actually character development.

P.s. Nice to see that NERV didn't really plan to blow a nuclear weapon in a populated region.

Ston3_FreeN7 said:
It really strikes me how different Misato is from everyone else, I love how she says that she would rather try to stop Jet Alone instead of regretting it later. Some words of wisdom Shinji would do well to listen to.
Foreshadowing future episodes/End of Evangelion or just something you thought during your first watch?
Jul 12, 2020 12:58 PM

Feb 2020
i love misato!!!!!!!!

and now the darker nature of nerv is coming in, obviously there has to be something shady going on under the surface so let's see what happens for here on out

love this show :)
Aug 12, 2020 3:48 PM

Jun 2009
Meritas said:
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
It really strikes me how different Misato is from everyone else, I love how she says that she would rather try to stop Jet Alone instead of regretting it later. Some words of wisdom Shinji would do well to listen to.
Foreshadowing future episodes/End of Evangelion or just something you thought during your first watch?

Maybe, but I posted that so long ago I have no idea what I intended back then.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 1, 2020 9:31 PM

Jan 2019
Based on the planned "miracle", it seems that Misato is below ranking of the blonde lady, meaning she is kept out of the loop for some things related to NERV. Shinji's dad wanted to prove a point that NERV's stuff is better than the other world's tech by altering the program to cause a disruption in the robot until Unit 01 was forced to deploy and once Shinji stops it from running they restore it so it looks favorable to NERV. so the whole thing was a plot to prove NERV's worth. interesting tactics by shinji's father and also shows his personality. I am suspicious of the blonde lady. This episode highlights that many more deeper and darker things are lurking within NERV that we don't know about yet. I also wanna know more about the second impact and the secrets. ooooh conspiracies, i love it

I love the growing familial relationship between shinji and misato and his friendship w those 2 guys.

Next ep: Asuka! I'm excited for that.
candies:

Sep 27, 2020 2:23 AM

Apr 2020
Lol, that robot operation went down hill. Atleast that guy accepted his mistakes.

I think the singer of the ending changed or something, not sure.
--AbiSa--
Oct 8, 2020 5:33 AM

Aug 2018
Misato was pretty much the star of the episode, its great when other characters get their own times to shine
Oct 29, 2020 3:51 AM

Dec 2012
Gendo.
Shinji and Pen Pen synchronized eating.
Misato.
Toji and Kensuke trying to take a peek. lol
Dem legs. Misato in that outfit.
The Angel caused Second Impact.
Third Impact?
lol at Pen Pen.
Ritsuko going at it with him.
Dat robot.
Walked right through.
lol at dudes avoiding responsibility.
Misato nipple.
Kibou.
Shinji.
lol at JA power walking.
Error?
Misato did it.
Dat ending.

Misato nipples were on point during that changing scene. Love how Ritsuko was going at it with Houchu Ohtsuka. Perfect casting this episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 7, 2020 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
Misato-san earned all my respect! I love her!

Editing: Hey, re-watching this series has been an amazing experience than the first-time watching! That are many subtle stuff that I didn't perceive at first...
removed-userNov 29, 2020 7:24 PM
Jan 1, 2021 8:01 PM

Aug 2019
what an episode, lots of changing of pace. One minute its a pretty chilled breakfast scene, with some SOL elements, no killer aliens or robots, the next however is a fucking nuclear bomb defusal scene. That whole scene was pretty intense in itself, a walking nuclear bomb with no stop button is something. Interested in what Misato ultimately did to stop the thing after the command code didn't work, did she force the cooling rods herself to fix the problem?

Seems like someone did try sabotage JB unit, which is kinda extreme because at the end of the day, even if it was a competing company, they are all trying to save the human race from you know, dying out.
Mar 19, 2021 12:44 PM

Jun 2020
Hmmm the JA people are up to something

Asuka seems like a vibrant personality. Excited to see her next ep
Mar 19, 2021 5:07 PM

Jul 2020
i really love Misato's childish side uwu
Mar 25, 2021 2:32 PM

Jun 2016
The more I watch this, the more classic X-COM vibes I get. Just in this episode we got discourse on:

• Regular global funding via nations choosing to opt in or out
  • Globally-sourced personnel
  • Scattered cooperating underground bases that occasionally get raided
  • Stupidly expensive equipment that is often made in-base and will likely get destroyed
  • Debates on whether to send human soldiers or robotic drones
  • "Those darn meatbags will just go berserk anyways!"
  • Sending human soldiers wins out because they don't tend to explode when they die

I wonder if Anno was playing some before planning this anime out...
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

812 by lkm630y »»
May 10, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

214 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

175 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 7, 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.