Forum Settings
Forums

Live-action Akira’s producer is Leonardo DiCaprio, Thor: Ragnarok’s Taika Waititi to direct

New
Apr 4, 2019 5:27 AM

Aug 2017
Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira is one of the most successful manga/anime out west, so it’s unsurprising that Hollywood will be adapting it to film. And now, The Hollywood Reporter has revealed new details on the upcoming movie. According to the report, Leonardo DiCaprio and Appian Way are producing the movie, with Thor: Ragnarok’s Taika Waititi directing.

Furthermore, it was announced that the filming of Akira's film will take place in California. The program includes 71 days of filming, even if the members that will be part of the cast have not yet been revealed.

Source: SG Cafe
ItsYaBoiSkanaApr 4, 2019 5:33 AM
Apr 4, 2019 6:21 AM

Oct 2018
I heard that back in the 90's, Sony tried to do a live action version of this film, but they scrapped the idea due to budget issues(Source: IMDb), hope something similar doesn't happen to this adaptation.
Dreaming 'bout long gone things;
Days, on end, repeating infinitely.
Like the inside of a never-ending dream,
Whilst looking for the endless morn...
Only to return to the dream again
Apr 4, 2019 6:23 AM

Feb 2018
Could be cool, but probably won't be.
Apr 4, 2019 6:26 AM

Feb 2010
The original movie adaption is already very flawed and mostly iconic and impressive because of the fantastic animation since the story is rushed and incomplete compared to the manga. Now Hollywood will take the great cel animation out of the equation and just do a rushed, incomplete story with generic Hollywood visuals. What could go wrong?
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 4, 2019 7:18 AM

Nov 2013
I have high confidence in their ability to mess up.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 5, 2019 3:27 AM

Jun 2014
If they do it, as good as Alita, it would be amazing. Taika Waititi is a good director, but he likes to add humor in his movies, and Akira doesn't have any of it :D. We will see though, hopefully we will see a string of good anime/manga adaptations on the silver screens.
Apr 5, 2019 3:28 AM

Jul 2007
I don't even like the original movie.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 5, 2019 3:33 AM

Jul 2016
I wasn't a big fan of the original movie, but I love Taika Waititi as a director, so I'm exited to see what he can do with the film
Apr 5, 2019 3:34 AM

Oct 2010
Hollywood ran out of ideas, next thing you know they'll start adapting ecchi manga like Nisekoi.
Apr 5, 2019 3:36 AM

Sep 2018
Ain't expecting anything. First of all I don't like any hollywood live-action of anime.
Apr 5, 2019 3:37 AM

Jul 2007
Hollywood will surely put most of the movie's focus on the motorcycle chase sequences.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 5, 2019 3:38 AM

Aug 2017
CapedBaldy-sama said:
Ain't expecting anything. First of all I don't like any hollywood live-action of anime.
Even Alita: Battle Angel? This absolutely blew past my expectations.
Apr 5, 2019 3:39 AM

Jul 2007
Psytrance said:
CapedBaldy-sama said:

I'm a fan of Gunnm and I disliked the movie.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 5, 2019 3:41 AM

Sep 2018
Psytrance said:
CapedBaldy-sama said:

Haven't watched it yet so can't say rn.
Apr 5, 2019 3:48 AM

Feb 2019
let's see if they can pull off that opening motorbike scene

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Apr 5, 2019 4:09 AM

Jul 2007
Psytrance said:
EndlessMaria said:

I'm a fan of Gunnm and I disliked the movie.
I'm a big fan of Gunnm & Gally is my damn waifu and actually loved the movie. As I said it was a big surprise. I never thought it would be so good, but the box office isn't going too well. I wanted at least to exceed 600 Mil.

To each their own, i guess.

I felt the movie focused too much on the Hugo arc which imo is super lame and I also didn't like how the violence was toned down to fit a PG-13 rating.

Also, Sechs is my husbando!
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 5, 2019 4:10 AM

Jan 2011
"Tetsuo!"

"Hey, man. We're gonna go ride on our bikes. Wanna come?"
Apr 5, 2019 4:16 AM

Jul 2016
Another average day, another Anime ruined by Hollywood.
Apr 5, 2019 4:41 AM

Jan 2018
Psytrance said:
Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira is one of the most successful manga/anime out west, so it’s unsurprising that Hollywood will be adapting it to film. And now, The Hollywood Reporter has revealed new details on the upcoming movie. According to the report, Leonardo DiCaprio and Appian Way are producing the movie, with Thor: Ragnarok’s Taika Waititi directing.

Furthermore, it was announced that the filming of Akira's film will take place in California. The program includes 71 days of filming, even if the members that will be part of the cast have not yet been revealed.

Source: SG Cafe

Will Leo act tho?? Cuz he's one of my fav actors!!

Leo as Kaneda!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 5, 2019 4:46 AM
Nov 2018
Akira, Live action? i cant wait to see those "CG" fights!!
Apr 5, 2019 4:53 AM

Jul 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion
Take care of yourself

Apr 5, 2019 11:36 PM

Nov 2011
Itll never be as good as the one by XTC frontman's son.

Apr 7, 2019 1:31 PM

Mar 2008
Pullman said:
The original movie adaption is already very flawed and mostly iconic and impressive because of the fantastic animation since the story is rushed and incomplete compared to the manga. Now Hollywood will take the great cel animation out of the equation and just do a rushed, incomplete story with generic Hollywood visuals. What could go wrong?

Yeah the animation is great but even without me reading the manga the story felt like not enough happened and was not in enough plot in detail so it felt rushed which left me feeling it was a bit overrated.
Apr 7, 2019 8:54 PM

Mar 2017
traed said:
Pullman said:

Yeah the animation is great but even without me reading the manga the story felt like not enough happened and was not in enough plot in detail so it felt rushed which left me feeling it was a bit overrated.

Even the manga's plot was incomplete. Lots of unanswered questions and anti-climactic story sequences. Not bad, just not as great as a lot of people think. The movie definitely skipped a lot of stuff, yet the bases were covered, but in the manga the bases are only half-established anyway.
Apr 7, 2019 9:10 PM

Mar 2008
N30-R3TR0 said:
traed said:

Even the manga's plot was incomplete. Lots of unanswered questions and anti-climactic story sequences. Not bad, just not as great as a lot of people think. The movie definitely skipped a lot of stuff, yet the bases were covered, but in the manga the bases are only half-established anyway.

It's entirely possible just to make up for time span since Hollywood movies are pretty long these days this film may adapt some things that were in the manga. Though I guess that depends if anyone involved is familiar with it.
Apr 7, 2019 9:39 PM

Nov 2008
Pullman said:
How is the story in the movie incomplete? It has a beginning, middle and end. Stop comparing it to the manga.

Apr 7, 2019 9:42 PM

Nov 2008
N30-R3TR0 said:
traed said:

What in the manga did you need explained? How their powers came to be? It goes over that in very simple detail. Everything didn't need to be elaborated on. I liked that it said so much just with visuals.
EzekielApr 7, 2019 9:45 PM

Apr 7, 2019 10:34 PM

Mar 2017
@Ezekiel the extent of the power. The reason for Akira's lack of personality was pretty late. Just lots of itty-bitty things that didn't have much explanation. A few reviews on MAL address that issue. I can't think of a lot of examples off the top of my head, but Tetsuo's moon jump is one, and how his motivations are revealed after he starts wrecking havoc. A lot of stuff just feels so sudden and is explained after-the-fact. The overarching story, premise, exhibition, and conclusion are fine though.

And you're right. Nothing important needs to be elaborated on, but I along with other people felt like some things were just missing at several points in the story. Still a solid B+ piece of literature though. Fantastic art and concepts and ending sequence.I used to have Akira rated 10 but I reevaluated my score after going over it again.
Apr 7, 2019 10:57 PM

Nov 2008
N30-R3TR0 said:
@Ezekiel the extent of the power. The reason for Akira's lack of personality was pretty late. Just lots of itty-bitty things that didn't have much explanation. A few reviews on MAL address that issue. I can't think of a lot of examples off the top of my head, but Tetsuo's moon jump is one, and how his motivations are revealed after he starts wrecking havoc. A lot of stuff just feels so sudden and is explained after-the-fact. The overarching story, premise, exhibition, and conclusion are fine though.

And you're right. Nothing important needs to be elaborated on, but I along with other people felt like some things were just missing at several points in the story. Still a solid B+ piece of literature though. Fantastic art and concepts and ending sequence.I used to have Akira rated 10 but I reevaluated my score after going over it again.
I would say the story is good, not great, but the artwork makes it great. I really wish mangaka still designed characters like that and gave inanimate objects that dirty look. I've been reading it again (second time) the last few weeks.

Apr 8, 2019 9:07 AM

Aug 2015
I wonder how this will turn out, feels like an odd choice for director and producer.
Apr 8, 2019 1:28 PM
May 2015
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-04-02/live-action-akira-film-to-shoot-in-california-receive-usd18.5-million-tax-credit/.145312

"Director Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok, Boy, Hunt for the Wilderpeople) confirmed in an interview in April 2018 that he was still working on the project. Waititi has not confirmed whether or not he is the director on the project. Waititi also confirmed at that time that he planned to adapt the original manga as opposed to the anime film adaptation."

He's going to need a different interpretation from the anime.
Apr 10, 2019 10:02 PM
May 2016
Taika Waititi is a very capable director, but I don't think this is the kind of movie that fits his particular witty style
Apr 11, 2019 7:42 AM

Nov 2008
I wonder if they realize how important the Japanese setting is. Americans never had to endure an atomic or nuclear attack, so it's not as relatable or relevant. It doesn't connect with Japanese life. The creator witnessed the aftermath. Also, Los Angeles isn't an island isolated from the rest of the world. Having the whole mainland United States there to help would make the blasted, ruined city that more than half the manga takes place in less dangerous and interesting. Well, part of the reason the survivors are not helped is because the other parties are afraid of Akira setting off a third blast.

More topics from this board

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

55 by DukeLess1 »»
30 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7706 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago

» Rap Music Recommendations - Newbie Here

Liaeves - Feb 17

6 by MeanMrMusician »»
7 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3467 by MeanMrMusician »»
7 hours ago

» What are your favorite ZARD songs?

GinIonSui - May 18

1 by GinIonSui »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.