Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2018 4:30 AM

Dec 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty much exactly what I expected, but man I wish they would've showed a remastered Bellamy vs Luffy, that would've made this special god-tier lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 26, 2018 6:33 AM
Dec 2017
As a recap movie, the pacing was wilddd

BUT

THE ENDING CREDITS
LITERALLY BROUGHT ME LIFE
ACE VS BLACKBEARD
WHY WAS IT THERE?
WE DON"T KNOW
BUT DO WE LOVE THE HELL OUT OF IT
YES WE DO
Aug 26, 2018 10:21 AM

Nov 2016
Too bad they skipped a lot of stuff and left some things unexplained. Therefore not really suited for new fans, but still worth a watch for the nostalgia factor and big One Piece fans.

Solid watch, had a fun time.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 26, 2018 10:37 AM
Dec 2017
I had high expectation lol--- guess I just love skypiea arc so much, ofcourse the original was way much better
What's up people ._.
Aug 26, 2018 11:19 AM
Jan 2014
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I'd hoped, they skipped a lot of good parts.

And who tf is that brown haired girl during the ending? Did I miss something?

And Ace vs Blackbeard?! Is that a teaser that the next 'episode of' movie will be about Ace? That'd be awesome.
bapo224Aug 26, 2018 2:41 PM
Aug 26, 2018 2:11 PM

Jan 2008
bapo224 said:
And who tf is that brown haired girl during the ending? Did I miss something?

I was about the ask the exact same thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know. Yes, please, someone explain.

It was alright. Like others, I too would have liked more stuff shown, but it was fine for what it was.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Aug 26, 2018 2:39 PM
Jan 2014
kevin_video said:

I was about the ask the exact same thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know. Yes, please, someone explain.

It was alright. Like others, I too would have liked more stuff shown, but it was fine for what it was.

I just read on Reddit it's Namie Amuro, the artist behind OP14 and OP20 who just retired. They put her in the ending to pay respects.
Aug 26, 2018 3:17 PM

May 2013
The only thing good is last part Ace vs Blackbeard.

bapo224 said:

And Ace vs Blackbeard?! Is that a teaser that the next 'episode of' movie will be about Ace? That'd be awesome.

we are getting a new movie in summer.

Aug 26, 2018 3:20 PM

Jan 2008
bapo224 said:
kevin_video said:

I just read on Reddit it's Namie Amuro, the artist behind OP14 and OP20 who just retired. They put her in the ending to pay respects.

I am very okay with that.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Aug 27, 2018 2:41 PM

Sep 2010
Wow, it feels like this episode was the one that has changed most of the story compared to the original. I was used to most things being skipped but so this new plot progression caught me off guard. Naturally it's useless to compare it though (yep original was better we all knew it would be before watching it) but even so it was interesting to see the twist on the story.

The one thing that the episode definitely delivered on was Enel's greatness... his fruit is pretty much one of the best out there and he hast the coolest looking attacks as well... now combined with new quality animation it was really a threat. Other than him however... well to begin with it felt like all the fights were skipped but other than Enel, the other great part is the Ace vs Blackbeard re visuals... those looked so beastly! In any case, we all knew what kind of outcome we can expect from "episode of something" and yep, the episode of skypiea delivered just that. Once again for a One Piece fan it's simply a sweet treat to eat in the afternoon but if you want the full course dish and enjoy the true taste then watch the full arc.
Aug 27, 2018 4:49 PM
May 2016
eso18 said:
Wow, it feels like this episode was the one that has changed most of the story compared to the original. I was used to most things being skipped but so this new plot progression caught me off guard. Naturally it's useless to compare it though (yep original was better we all knew it would be before watching it) but even so it was interesting to see the twist on the story.

The one thing that the episode definitely delivered on was Enel's greatness... his fruit is pretty much one of the best out there and he hast the coolest looking attacks as well... now combined with new quality animation it was really a threat. Other than him however... well to begin with it felt like all the fights were skipped but other than Enel, the other great part is the Ace vs Blackbeard re visuals... those looked so beastly! In any case, we all knew what kind of outcome we can expect from "episode of something" and yep, the episode of skypiea delivered just that. Once again for a One Piece fan it's simply a sweet treat to eat in the afternoon but if you want the full course dish and enjoy the true taste then watch the full arc.

While the last couple of "Episode of"s were God awful, I remember once upon a time they actually were really really good. Granted, some such as Episode of Alabasta were made on a film budget, but my personal favorite is Episode of Nami, which recapped Arlong Park. God tier animation, perfect pacing, and almost no rewriting or skipping around. If any of you haven't checked that out, you should. It really puts into perspective what these recaps can be like at their best.
Aug 27, 2018 10:32 PM

Apr 2013
Skypeia was the arc that made me a fan (late-bloomer, I know), so while I knew they were going to have a hell of a time condensing it, I looked forward to this special. I'm sad they had to cut out a lot of stuff and had to tone down a lot of favorite moments (such as Zoro vs Southbird, the Dials, Usopp vs Enel), but it was nice to have a refresher after not having seen the arc for a year. So I'm not all that mad about it.

Pretty weird/lazy that they had to reuse the original footage for the Noland flashback but then reanimated the part of his execution, but eh. It was just weirder to see Nami with bigger boobs than she did during the arc.
Aug 28, 2018 3:03 AM
Jan 2016
I don't know if the information was misleading, but in the summary it says "will feature a character who did not appear in the original Skypeia arc from the anime."

However, no new character ever appeared in the special episode. Apart from Eneru's cool animation fight, this Episode of special was most disappointing to date.
"So you're finally here, Karamatsu Girls."
Aug 28, 2018 8:08 AM
Aug 2018
who she was at the end of the episode.
she is a new mugiwara???
Aug 28, 2018 9:09 AM

Aug 2016
Bursuk said:
she is a new mugiwara???

She is Namie Amuro,the singer for openings 14 and 20 and she is retiring in september.
Aug 28, 2018 7:44 PM
we back

Aug 2015
Why did the animation quality jump 20 years back in time during the Noland flashbacks?

Other than that, it was exactly what you'd expect when you try to shove an entire arc in one movie.
Sep 3, 2018 12:30 AM

Sep 2012
Starburst2240 said:

BUT

THE ENDING CREDITS
ACE VS BLACKBEARD
WHY WAS IT THERE?
WE DON"T KNOW
YES WE DO

maybe a hint to the new movie or next recap episode

i really wanna see ACE VS BLACKBEARD full fights with these new animation
Sep 8, 2018 4:40 PM

Jul 2016
Well that was confusingly fast
Sep 10, 2018 11:00 AM

Jan 2008
I have only one question (though I can guess the answer from comments about how fast with plot this retelling is...) - did Robin vs. Yama made it into this episode?
Sep 12, 2018 12:39 PM

Jul 2008
Ciara said:
I have only one question (though I can guess the answer from comments about how fast with plot this retelling is...) - did Robin vs. Yama made it into this episode?

One very quick 2 second clip of it.

This was just meh for me. So many things were cut out, switched, etc that made this thing go all over the place.

5/10 for me. Could have been much better.
Sep 17, 2018 2:17 AM

Jan 2016
This was so weird, I had high hopes for this arc because the East blue recap was great in my opinion, but this was just terrible. It had one great moment but other than that the animation and direction were awful, not to talk about the pacing. There were so many weird camera angles that left no impact whatsoever on specific scenes that it felt like it was done by a new animator, and he/she'd have to be pretty bad to make this.

Sad, I liked this arc in the anime but felt that it was a bit to long, but this changed my opinion about it just because I see how bad it could've been skipping so many things

4/10
Sep 19, 2018 12:02 PM

Jan 2014
damn it. if you think about the story of Nolan Blanc, it's very sad because he can't prove the existance of the City full of Gold. and he's known for a liar for the entire life just because of that. that is, a very very sad thing to happen.
Sep 19, 2018 7:55 PM

May 2014
Cool to see Skypeia arc in HD. This was a cool special, but the plot was way too rushed. They tried to combine comedy parts + important parts, but this was way too rushed. They should have only focused on the important parts. Meh animation at some points (especially Luffy and Robin's faces in some of the scenes), but a fine 5/9 cause the new girl in the ending.

I hope we are seeing her in the anime too. :D
mangalicker94Sep 19, 2018 8:05 PM
Sep 19, 2018 7:57 PM

May 2014
Daisy-Sensei said:
Starburst2240 said:

BUT

THE ENDING CREDITS
ACE VS BLACKBEARD
WHY WAS IT THERE?
WE DON"T KNOW
YES WE DO

maybe a hint to the new movie or next recap episode

i really wanna see ACE VS BLACKBEARD full fights with these new animation

we all would love to see their whole fight. :D and more of the brown-hair girl in the ending along with the crew. :)
Sep 19, 2018 7:58 PM

May 2014
GamingGlass said:
Bursuk said:
she is a new mugiwara???

She is Namie Amuro,the singer for openings 14 and 20 and she is retiring in september.

cool to see that they made a anime character out of her. how sweet. ^_^
Sep 19, 2018 7:59 PM

May 2014
Emperor_Donuts12 said:
I don't know if the information was misleading, but in the summary it says "will feature a character who did not appear in the original Skypeia arc from the anime."

However, no new character ever appeared in the special episode. Apart from Eneru's cool animation fight, this Episode of special was most disappointing to date.

Ikr. And I was so excited for nothing. For a moment there I thought it was the brown-hair girl in the ending, but apparently that wasn't right. ^^
Sep 22, 2018 5:27 AM

Mar 2018
Episode of SKIP-iea
2/10. The original arc was my least favorite arc in the series so I was expecting for improvements here instead I got the exact opposite.
Oct 7, 2018 10:05 AM

Apr 2011
I generally love all things One Piece, and don't think I've ever rated anything OP less than an 8... but this was utter garbage.
Nov 2, 2018 9:22 PM

Feb 2015
Mugiwara Pirates are sailing in the sea when they arrive to Jaya Island, where they meet Cricket, the descendant of a former explorer (Norland) who was executed after being accused of lying in his missions. Cricket is looking for a City of Gold that supposedly Norland found time ago. Is Cricket who gave the Mugiwaras the clue that there's a strong stream of water that leads to the clouds. The Mugiwaras wait for the stream of water and get to heaven, a place named Skypiea, an island in the sky, there's a culture and technology different from what they know, and part of an island from the blue sea, a land named Shandia, original home of an anciente culture, the shandorians. Their arrival were just in time for when Enel (Skypiea's God) decided to eliminate part of the island and the start of his trip to the moon. Enel unleashes his priests as a game, to deal with the Mugiwaras and Shandorians. After the priests are defeated, finally 5 warriors get to Enel and challenge him, but he defeat them all easily, taking Nami with him to his ship. Luffy found them in Enel's ship where they have their first encounter, they discover that Luffy's body (rubber) is not affected by Enel's electricity, so he decides to melt gold in Luffy's hands and throw him overboard. Luffys attempt failed, but, Sanji and Ussopp succeed to save Nami. After a little help, Luffy get to Enel again, breaking up Enel's black clouds and smashing Enel, Enel's ship and the golden bell. The golden bell as a sign of Norland and Kalgara's valuable friendship that got almost broken in the past.

As a One Piece fan, this special just bring memories back, it's entertaining and funny to watch, only, if you know the story beforehand. Episode of Skypiea tries to resume what happened in more than 40 episodes through the anime, so I can understand that is a hard job to show a concise story in that time, the relationships are not developed and you don't really get how they got to that situations, or, for example, what's the meaning of Luffy and Enel's battle, Gan Fall's position and modern Shandorians territory. The only relationship that is well developed for me is between Norland and Kalgara, that takes its time to explain and set both feelings. I don't recommend this, One Piece's fans are not missing anything.
Atlas77Nov 2, 2018 9:33 PM
Jan 24, 2019 8:53 AM

Feb 2013
The Norland flashbacks were the best part by far, I didn't like how they skipped so many cool moments.
Mar 4, 2019 3:46 AM

Oct 2015
This was one of my favorite arcs in the series, the way Luffy was tenacious in that fight against Eneru was very admirable. That punch against the bell was mind blowing, damn! how i wished i could erase my memory of the arc and rewatch it again.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 2, 2019 11:05 AM

Jan 2013
It definitely didnt feel as epic in size as the original episodes felt, which is to be expected if they skip the majority of what happened during this arc.
Still it was ok I suppose, just a recap, nothing special imo.
Jan 16, 2020 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
Going into this, I certainly wasn't hoping for much. Recap specials such as this one tend to be very disappointing due to trying to fit around a 40+ episode in a 1 hour and 45 minutes special. But this one was especially disappointing.

It was a given they would cut most, if not all, the fights so no surprise there. But the artwork felt awkward? Plain? I didn't really roll with it. And the flashbacks, why did they use the same clips from the original series? Why didn't they rework them? Then again, I liked the art style of those flashbacks more than the special's artwork. And they cut down many important bits so that new viewers would be hard-pressed to watch it. That said, the special is more aimed towards the fanbase and tugging at their nostalgia strings.

A shame, I liked the Skypea arc. Even though it had some bad moments, it had this sense of adventure and wholesome storytelling that made me appreciate it.
Mar 22, 2020 2:27 PM

Nov 2013
How ironic that the best part of this special (Noland backstory) is that which mostly uses the original tv series footage.
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 20, 2020 12:24 PM

Feb 2014
bapo224 said:
kevin_video said:

Ahh right I see. I was wondering the same as I was watching the ending.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Mar 16, 2021 4:55 AM

Aug 2012
This was bad, worst of the Episode of's that I've seen bad. I'll state upfront that Skypiea is second only to Water 7 as my favourite One Piece arc, and depending on my mood I might even claim it as my favourite. I feel like it's sort of the quintessential One Piece arc, but I didn't come in here with high expectations or anything. Condensing 85 chapters in under two hours is a recipe for disaster. I knew it wasn't going to function as anything but a nostalgia trip, but I was hoping it'd function as that.

First problem, the scene rearrangements and certain omissions took away from the adventure of Skypiea. One of the biggest disappoints for me was the Eneru destroying that guy on Upper Yard at the beginning was completely omitted and that in it's place, Eneru was just there. The build-up of Eneru's power is one of the greatest things of Skypiea, before he even appeared he was already a serious threat but here, we don't even learn what Eneru's power is until he meets Nami, Sanji, Usopp, Gan Fall, and Conis.

And then there's the Noland & Kalgara flashbacks, why were they placed so early? And why were they segregated so much? It's still one of the best flashbacks in all of One Piece and one of the best moments for me was the realization that Nola was the giant snake in Upper Yard that had eaten Luffy. All those connections we got to make, that sense of discovery, completely stripped away. And the segregation didn't make much sense to me, I don't see any narrative purpose behind that decision but unfortunately, there's more problems with the Noland & Kalgara flashback.

Like, why weren't they re-animated? Why did they just reuse the animation from the original anime for Noland & Kalgara? Was it there way of showing the passage of time between the two because that's a stupid excuse for what it just laziness. Maybe time constraints, I don't know but the point of this special is to revisit the Skypiea arc with heightened art & animation so having a significant portion of it just being the old anime clips but rescaled/remastered is incredibly disappointing, and also jarringly noticeable. This is embarrassingly bad.

Maybe instead of animating the flashback, they spent their resources on making the fights spectacular? But no, these are also pretty badly handled here. I don't mind the cut fights so much, like I never expected Robin to get her fight and I thought making the survival game just a countdown montage was a cute way cutting out a bunch of content to fit the time length, but it was very disappointing that Chopper vs. Gedatsu and Zoro vs. Ohm was just reduced to the final strikes. It's just as disappointing that all the action here essentially felt like that. There was no impact to most of the actions scenes because we never really saw the moves connect, the movie would just cut to a sill of the attack in progress. It felt like slideshow combat, we'd get the wind-up for the pitch then the bat hitting the ball, but we didn't get the motion between the two. We didn't see the batter swing so there was never any weight to anything happening. There's some exceptions with Luffy vs. Eneru but this was a constant issue.

And some of the cut content really stung, like I was accepting of Aisa losing her role and Wyper pretty much being the only Shandorian represented here. I'm not unreasonable, I get that massive cuts need to be made, but also removing Wyper's crowning moment of awesome of killing Eneru on top of all that was really disappointing. But beyond action moments, they had to leave out most of the fun moments. I don't really miss Luffy's song tbh but the bonfire party with the wolves was an unfortunate exclusion.

Then there's the ending, there's so much wrong here. First, the placement of the Noland/Kalgara flashbacks during Luffy's final strike on Eneru. These are suppose to go before Luffy rings the bell with Eneru. I get that they probably wanted to show one uninterrupted action sequence since again, most of the special's actions was terrible but like, the whole power of reinforcing the meaning behind ringing the bell is wasted when Luffy already rang the bell. It's suppose to emotionally build up to the climax, it's not suppose to be the falling action to the climax. Also, most stories like to have resolution. There's none of that here, Luffy defeats Eneru and the story is completely over. Seriously, Episode of Alabasta doesn't just stop when Crocodile is defeated, we get the all-important friendship mark. We couldn't get anything similar to that, no stealing the gold, no returning to the blue sea. Just roll credits.

And I can't believe I have to complain about the credits. It's cool that they're honouring Namie Amuro, Fight Together and Hope are two of my favourite OP songs so I respect the decision to feature her. It didn't make much sense to put it here and use post-time skip designs but whatever. Then we randomly switched over to Ace vs. Blackbeard? It was the best looking part of the entire movie but why is it here? Why not just feature that ending sequence stuff I just mentioned in place of that. It wouldn't have looked nearly as good admittedly, but it would've been fitting.

So yeah, this was pretty bad. I can't say I actively hated this, and I do find the very concept of revisiting old arcs with changes interesting, like Satori's fight being at a different location was neat if ultimately meaningless, so it wasn't a miserable experience per se, but it definitely wasn't a good one either. 4/10, though I was debating a 3/10 tbh.
Jan 21, 2022 12:54 PM
Aug 2020
I don't wanna watch this arc in anime, should i skip it and watch this movie instead??
Jun 29, 2022 10:23 AM

Nov 2010
I really wanted to give this an 8, since Skypiea is one of fave arcs in One Piece, the sense of adventure is so strong here. Enel is also one of my favorite villains. His powers are so cool and he's just fixated on that land of the Gods and not caring for anything else.

They messed up this recap/remaster ep. They skipped many of the cool fights and the flashbacks are in original animation. I'm biased so I'm still giving this a 7/10. I really love this arc.
Jan 1, 2023 3:29 PM

Sep 2015
By far the worst movie special I had watched, they removed Bellamy's scene along with Blackbeard, which were the most important and well received moments from episode 151. Another thing was ruined is not following the story format, I haven't seen Skypiea for years, and I can easily tell this is not how things turned out. I would had rather have Toei cut things out instead of changing everything just to make it "smooth". The Alabasta movie was way better in comparison. 
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

More topics from this board

» Where to watch

KPN3 - Nov 19, 2021

2 by oniraneo »»
Nov 19, 2021 10:27 AM

» One Piece Episode of Sky Island - PV

KalfKaneda - May 19, 2018

26 by Fang »»
Aug 17, 2018 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.