Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 29, 2012 1:21 PM
May 2011
What the heck was up with those soldiers pointing guns at people all the time (including a little girl)? That was messed up.
Oct 2, 2012 6:42 PM
Jul 2010
jimboli92 said:
What the heck was up with those soldiers pointing guns at people all the time (including a little girl)? That was messed up.

That's one of the things I love about this series and anime in general. They never shy away from showing scenes like that, and that was made more than 30 years ago! Even in today's USA with all their political correctness would censor that immediately. So much for freedom of expression in the land of the free.
Dec 21, 2012 4:32 PM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:
I honestly think this show has to much action to the point the characters and plot suffer. I'll admit the action is cool, but honestly I want more development. Still, it's early so we'll see how it goes.

It may be because I'm a bit more used to the franchise now, but the action scenes every episode thing isn't bothering me as much anymore. It also doesn't hurt that I've seen the movies and know where all this is going anyway.

Looking forward to that episode 34....my memories kind of hazy as to what Beatnik is talking about.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 27, 2012 9:52 PM

Apr 2011
If the Gundam is self learning, it seems that it would be better to avoid all confrontations with it, if you weren't sure you could destroy it. Unfortunately my main man Char doesn't know all the Gundam's tech yet. Hopefully he'll learn.

And I thought Char seemed familiar. The American fleet fighter from Gundam 00 kind of reminds me of him.
Dec 27, 2012 10:10 PM

Jun 2009
RazingPhoenix said:
And I thought Char seemed familiar. The American fleet fighter from Gundam 00 kind of reminds me of him.

Well, every non-UC Gundam has at least one guy that is pretty much a copy of him. At least as far as the masked blonde thing goes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 2, 2013 5:20 PM

Sep 2008
Amuro starts to learn piloting Gundam as he can now use two beam sabers at the same time. I wonder why they rely only on radar in Lunar 2. Some cameras would have spotted Char's ship right away.
Aug 1, 2013 4:56 PM

Nov 2008
I'm not that big of a fan of Char so far and I prefer Amuro although it will most likely change I suspect.
Jan 7, 2014 11:44 PM
Aug 2011
They replayed the epic kick again.
I knew the Captain was going to go soon.
Amuro is advancing kind of quickly...
Feb 10, 2014 2:15 AM

Sep 2013
This is such a FUN show. It never has a boring moment, pacing is masterfully done. I can see why this was such a hit back when it aired. This has had a much better start than Macross had in my opinion.

I love Char's design, he looks so badass with that helmet on I always feel bad when he takes it off. xD

Oh and r.i.p captain
Feb 21, 2014 4:17 PM

Mar 2013
This is fucking awesome. I just love how they came up with this way back in 1979. I'm totally in love.
May 27, 2014 1:22 AM

Jul 2009
Another amazing episode :)

Those damn fools at Luna II underestimated the cunning tactics of the Red Comet!

I lol'd at Bright when he tried to bang the door, then amuro just slides the door open XD

Amuro is getting better in each episode!! Char won't give up!!

Can't wait for the next episode!!
Mar 1, 2015 9:23 PM

Nov 2011
insan3Inquisitor said:
I honestly think this show has to much action to the point the characters and plot suffer. I'll admit the action is cool, but honestly I want more development. Still, it's early so we'll see how it goes.

This being my first experience in the franchise, I agree with the sentiments in your initial watch here. The next episode looks like it'll be the same as well. This is really hitting my current craving for action, but I think it'll eventually grow stale unless we have a good story backing it up. In this case, that would translate to character development and worldbuilding. Oh, and some sort of goal or direction would be nice too; it's just been about survival so far.

I would also agree with those above who liked the scene where the soldier pointed a gun at that little girl. This series presents its universe in a very matter-of-fact style, no sugar coating. However, that combined with the commandant's initial judgement concerning the civilians still makes me think the Earth Federation is generally comprised of immoral leaders, especially considering it was the Federation's fault that the civilians were caught in the cross-fire in the first place. How many exceptions there are, like the Captain, I don't know.

Hm. What happens after they get back to Earth, I wonder?
Mar 14, 2015 1:47 PM

Mar 2013
I love that show
RIP captain
May 15, 2015 10:46 AM

Feb 2015
Cowabunga said:

I'm definitely liking Char more than Amuro, I'm looking forward for Zeon centred episodes.

This all Hail Zeon!

It was pretty fucked up then pointing the gun at the little girl.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2015 9:45 AM

Jun 2009
Damn this is good, honestly. I keep getting surprised. Why didn't I watch this 5 years ago like I planned?
Dec 10, 2015 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
The narrative today follows a path very similar to that seen in SEED, although places are obviously different and the characters so well, but the taste is the same. Not very engaging storytelling, but the succession of the various phases is not bad, Amuro takes them still on Char that shows off a new gem in battle. Good military tactics seen so far.
Apr 27, 2016 6:49 PM

Jun 2013
Glad that this is finally starting to pick up, best episode so far by a longshot.
May 17, 2016 6:47 AM

Jul 2008
Amuro owned the cannon fodder like....cannon fodder.

I see that idiots being in charge of the military is a Gundam trope.
Jul 5, 2016 5:42 PM

May 2012
Pretty damn solid development! Let's see what happens next though!
Aug 15, 2016 10:47 PM

Feb 2012
While somewhat rediculous, this episode did a good job showing that the Federation isn't a paragon of virtue.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
1 Zaku this episode
5 kills total
Amuro is now an ace.
Apr 4, 2017 6:59 AM

May 2015
Lovely episode! It's great they're exploiting the theme of the dilemma between following orders and saving lives (in a way).

Also, R.I.P. Captain :< Come to think of it, the idea of having your corpse float through space is a tad bit bizarre.

Seems like every next episode is better than the other.
Aug 5, 2017 4:46 AM
Jul 2017
Yet again, this one surpasses the last one.

Did I miss some initial dialogue? Why did Mr. Bright say he needed to get White Base to Earth? Is it to be delivered to
Mar 12, 2018 2:13 PM

Nov 2016
And so he gave his last orders.RIP Captain.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 22, 2018 8:39 PM

Jun 2014
Amuro handled himself pretty well against Char during that encounter.

It looks like the Captain is no longer with us. His body has been sent out into space, "Wrath of Khan" style.

Mar 5, 2019 1:19 AM

Feb 2017
They didn't even salute the Captain as his body drifted into space. Well, I guess most of them were civilians after all.
Feb 19, 2020 1:38 PM

May 2018
The animation sure took a nosedive this episode
Jun 16, 2020 10:37 AM

Oct 2010
Wait, their only defense was the Magellan? but I heard them saying Luna 2 was a good fortress. And then, they leave White Base alone to go to Earth to who knows where. I liked the battle and Char's plans but I feel something was weird this episode
Aug 19, 2020 5:54 AM

Jul 2017
This is a crucial episode with lots of drama and tension that also really drives home the evils of the military leaders, even on the EFSF side.
Aug 31, 2020 1:09 AM

Aug 2017
Damn, I thought that Paolo Cassius was going to be alive in the end but I was already wondering when he was in very bad shape. I don't like how soldiers are pointing guns at everyone incluiding kids lol.

Some people are annoyed by the amount of fight scenes, while its true at some point, kjust look at Amuro wielding those two sabers, pretty cool! Probably the most important thing about the episode was that the Gundam is self learning after every fight.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 2, 2020 12:59 PM

Jun 2016
I must applaud the story for getting into the action so effectively. From the intro we understand the skeleton of the backdrop, of the war. From the first episode we see the raw destructive power of Zaku's and from that, just how strong the Gundam is against them in this war. We understand why it is so important for Char to capture or destroy it. And while this cat and mouse game begins, we also have the civilians to keep safe. We jump right into an action heavy conflict but understand enough that we barely have to ask questions. I mean, I have questions, but the answers to them are not necessary!

But beyond just the story, the characters stand out too and are likable despite being in such a big cast. Well, for the most part, Mirai and Hayato haven't left a big impression on me. My personal favorites are Ryu and Bright. Ryu as an earnest but amateurish pilot is a super likable force, and Bright is awesome! He may be a bit of a hardass, but his heart is in the right place, willing to stand down a gun and face treason charges to make a point. I also like how Sayla and the blonde guy in charge over here spoke down to him at times, it makes a nice difference in the way the characters interact with Bright. As well as showcasing the idea of procedure versus morals or efficiency.

The characters may be somewhat minimal at the moment, but their unique flavour allows me to differentiate between the entire crew while we jump right into the thick of combat with Char the red comet. It all flows great. That is the point I wanted to make.

I presume a theme will be loss of innocence. Children forced into combat during a war, what Amuro's dad wanted to stop, and losing their families. It's to be expected, and the fact that we have the older kids protecting the very small and often ignorant younger kids feels as though they are trying to protect their innocence by losing their own.
Jul 24, 2021 11:01 AM

Oct 2012
So, the Gundam gets stronger everytime it fights. It's a saiyan pretty much. Guess that'll help explaining how Amuro gets out on top eventually.

Interesting how persistent Char is. He keeps coming back every episode. But it makes sense considering he REALLY doesn't want the overpowered Gundam to get to earth. I like the dynamic between Char and Amuro, even though they never met directly.
Oct 14, 2021 2:06 PM

Nov 2019
Even in Char’s flashback I can’t still get over the fact he kicked that gun from her hands by standing pretty far away. Either he has veeery long legs, or I’m just overthinking it.
Mar 26, 2022 7:34 PM
Nov 2007
I have to admit i'm not yet that crazed about the series other than historical interest (maybe this being my first Gundam anime was a mistake) but that double lightsaber trick was amazing! I like the way they showed that the 'good guys' also have (some?) shitty commanders. And that some soldiers can be really cold even to children! It makes the world feel realistic. A lot of contemporary anime sugarcoats that aspect of war, although attack on titan did a nice job.
Oct 27, 2022 6:54 PM

May 2019
Pretty cool how the Gundam is self-learning, I suppose Amuro's usefulness lies in his knowledge of technology and desperation from the crew. RIP Captain.
Oct 28, 2022 12:05 AM
Dec 2017
pretty standard progression for anime so far
Mar 11, 2023 1:42 AM
Nov 2018
It was really good
Apr 29, 2023 7:50 PM

Sep 2017
finally amuro askin where his father is. i thought they would forget that plot point. gues it was just not included smoothly.

char is havin some history with his sis. well i guess they wont resolve it for now.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 8, 8:59 PM

Dec 2022
it's always some dumbass like Wakkein who gums these things up, luckily it all worked out silky smooth
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Apr 10, 2008

60 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 4, 2009

55 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 14 Discussion

naikou - Dec 7, 2008

46 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JuicyBuddha - Nov 13, 2009

56 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 23, 2010

56 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.