Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 6, 2010 2:07 PM

Aug 2009
^ No. It's an exaggeration. About 98% of those black red screen scenes are how that anime is, and it remained same in Blu-ray version. Only 2 % was for the replacement, and it actually indicated that they are the scenes need to filled.

The definite example is Bakemonogatari Volume 1. I have both TV series version and Blu-ray, and try to compare both of them to see how much they are different. Surprise surprise, I found about 4 'fixed' seens, but nothing else was changed. All the red black seen was still in the right place without being replaced. YET, it sold about 70000 discs in the first week. It is simply ridiculous even for otaku trying to buy this 'ultimate failure fucked bakemonogatari' for just 4 fixed scenes. The fixed animation is definitely out of all the reasons that made bakemonogatari to have miraculous BD sales. It just the plain fact that most of people liked Bakemonogatari's story telling style, dialogues, characters and arts. Fixed animation should never be an explanation for its success.

AirStyles said:
I did watch other shaft's anime

I love ef.a tale of memories.

But Bakemonogatari is plain f*cked.
Having animation errors that will fixed in BD anyway doesn't mean it is fucked. Ef series also had significant amount of animation errors that is fixed in DVD. Learn it.
Apr 6, 2010 3:04 PM

Jun 2009
dude, I watch the airing bit, but at the very least, ef- didn't leave stuff out on purpose, (even if they did, it's not that damn obvious)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2010 5:14 PM

Aug 2009
It wasn't out on purpose. Bakemonogatari suffered from 'time management' plan. It's nothing industrial. Their timeline was strictly formated and there is no-way they can change it. Think a bit more; You have homework that's on deadline tomorrow, and you didn't finish it entirely. So, the only way is inevitably handing in unfinished assignment you have on that deadline first, and later beg for mercy to teacher handing finished one later. That's exactly what Bakemonogatari got. They got flamed enough for having slideshows, so SHAFT decided finish their work for the fans. Rather than blame them for powerpoint presentations, I actually want to thank them for at least finishing animations. I mean, have a deep think about what Lazy Studio DEENS has done to Umineko, and how they never fixed errors in their series.

Calling shaft lazy is just all out of logics.
Apr 7, 2010 2:15 PM
Jan 2010
Personally I've grown rather fond of the cuts. I can't even image Bakemonogatari without them. Whether it was marketing strategy (as AirStyles said), time management issues (most likely), or just how the anime was made to be, I think it adds to the uniqueness and quality.
Apr 7, 2010 7:19 PM

Jun 2009
ringoo4 said:
It wasn't out on purpose. Bakemonogatari suffered from 'time management' plan. It's nothing industrial. Their timeline was strictly formated and there is no-way they can change it. Think a bit more; You have homework that's on deadline tomorrow, and you didn't finish it entirely. So, the only way is inevitably handing in unfinished assignment you have on that deadline first, and later beg for mercy to teacher handing finished one later. That's exactly what Bakemonogatari got. They got flamed enough for having slideshows, so SHAFT decided finish their work for the fans. Rather than blame them for powerpoint presentations, I actually want to thank them for at least finishing animations. I mean, have a deep think about what Lazy Studio DEENS has done to Umineko, and how they never fixed errors in their series.

Calling shaft lazy is just all out of logics.

On evey single f*cking episode?!?! Think for a sec! I stated, if it happens once or twice, I wouldn't have even cared, even if it only happen once as bad as episode 10, I'd forgive it, but every, single, freaking, week.

If I couldn't finish my assignment and hand in unfinish work every, single, freaking, time, I'd fail already!!

again, it's not once, it's every, single, freaking, week! They are proffesionals for crying out loud!

I've seen a crap load of 1 episode quality drop, 1 episode of laziness, etc etc. I never cry about those. Heck, Gunslinger Girl season 2 got little funding and the quality dropped, I didn't cry about it because they are in fact doing what they can with the little budget they have.

THe problem with Bakemonogatari, is not complete a single episode, not even 1. This show, is not even finish, and some people hail it as all time great, something is terribly wrong there!

It's like saying, "I write a half complete book... with some dialogs not completed, some jumpy plot, but if done right, it'll be the best book... so it's the best"

CHRIST! If you agree with the line above... I won't even bother reasoning with you anymore.

tillow214 said:
Personally I've grown rather fond of the cuts. I can't even image Bakemonogatari without them. Whether it was marketing strategy (as AirStyles said), time management issues (most likely), or just how the anime was made to be, I think it adds to the uniqueness and quality.

Picture those things on half the new release from now on... I hope you still enjoy it.
AirStylesApr 7, 2010 7:31 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2010 7:24 PM

Jun 2009
I thought it was just the way the animation was done.
I really like it, I think it is tasteful and different from everything else.
Either you like it like that or you don't....

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Apr 7, 2010 10:17 PM

Feb 2008
AirStyles said:
It's like saying, "I write a half complete book... with some dialogs not completed, some jumpy plot, but if done right, it'll be the best book... so it's the best"

CHRIST! If you agree with the line above... I won't even bother reasoning with you anymore.
What if I release my book online for free and then sell the edited version? Everybody makes edits to stuff they sell, you seriously think everybody makes everything perfect the first time or that there aren't any changes in movies, books, TV shows from the first airing to the "definitive" DVD/BD releases? The whole concept of "director's cut" is disagreeing with you and your stupid trolling.

Corners are cut for most TV airings of anime, everybody knows this, Bakemonogatari just happened to have more than usual. Why this mystifies you I cannot fathom. I guess you rage at censors too, huh?
Apr 8, 2010 3:44 AM

Jun 2009
kuroshiroi said:
AirStyles said:

What if I release my book online for free and then sell the edited version? Everybody makes edits to stuff they sell, you seriously think everybody makes everything perfect the first time or that there aren't any changes in movies, books, TV shows from the first airing to the "definitive" DVD/BD releases? The whole concept of "director's cut" is disagreeing with you and your stupid trolling.

Corners are cut for most TV airings of anime, everybody knows this, Bakemonogatari just happened to have more than usual. Why this mystifies you I cannot fathom. I guess you rage at censors too, huh?

I don't rage at censors stuff. In fact I watch a lot of stuff censored. I only rage at Bakemono because they release a work that is not close to being completed. I do knew about censorship as well as editing, but Bakemono just gone a bit too far that everysingle episodes points at "marketing strategy".

Director cut is alright, because they already release a full version that's watchable, the director cut, back stage interview, special effect explanation, everything. But to release a work that absurd and still get recognise for being the best show by some... NO!! that is freaking wrong.

Having deleted scene or saving things to attract DVD sales is okay, but going as far as that?
NO!

I never even rage at episode in anime with bad animation like most other people, because at least they finish the work, having unfinished work every single freaking episode is bad.
Apr 8, 2010 3:45 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
On evey single f*cking episode?!?! Think for a sec! I stated, if it happens once or twice, I wouldn't have even cared, even if it only happen once as bad as episode 10, I'd forgive it, but every, single, freaking, week.

If I couldn't finish my assignment and hand in unfinish work every, single, freaking, time, I'd fail already!!

I've seen a crap load of 1 episode quality drop, 1 episode of laziness, etc etc. I never cry about those. Heck, Gunslinger Girl season 2 got little funding and the quality dropped, I didn't cry about it because they are in fact doing what they can with the little budget they have.

THe problem with Bakemonogatari, is not complete a single episode, not even 1. This show, is not even finish, and some people hail it as all time great, something is terribly wrong there!
Did you even watch the blu-ray version at all? It seems you didn't, my bad. Most of episodes had about average 4 or 5 fixed scene which is just slightly more than what other animes do. Plus, all the recent online streaming episode has zero unfinished scenes if you care.

You know, you absolutely make no-sense at all. First, you said you hate all those incompleted ones were cheating and industrial purpose, my focus was entirely there and rebutted. Now, you are just pissed off about entire existence on those 'incompleted scenes' themselves without apparent reasoning on what I actually asked you. I mean seriously, I highly suggest you to watch the actual BD version. You will see how much flawed you've been.

+ what kuroshiroi said.

AirStyles said:
I don't rage at censors stuff. In fact I watch a lot of stuff censored. I only rage at Bakemono because they release a work that is not close to being completed. I do knew about censorship as well as editing, but Bakemono just gone a bit too far that everysingle episodes points at "marketing strategy".

You obviously didn't read my previous posts.
ringoo4Apr 8, 2010 3:50 AM
Apr 8, 2010 4:07 AM

Jun 2009
ringoo4 said:
AirStyles said:

Did you even watch the blu-ray version at all? It seems you didn't, my bad. Most of episodes had about average 4 or 5 fixed scene which is just slightly more than what other animes do. Plus, all the recent online streaming episode has zero unfinished scenes if you care.

You know, you absolutely make no-sense at all. First, you said you hate all those incompleted was a cheating and industrial purpose, my focus was entirely there. Now, you are just pissed off about those 'incompleted scenes' themselves without apparent reasoning. I mean seriously, I highly suggest you to watch the actual BD version. You will see how much flawed you've been.

+ what kuroshiroi said.

first, if you're telling me only 4~5 "unschedule cut"out of over 15 per episode is fixed in the BD

If you're telling me that the BD version is going to still have anymore of those "unschedule cut" crap, I'm thanking god I didn't buy/donwload a single episode, cuz not only they didn't finish it in time,(quite possibly on purpose) they didn't even bother to try finishing it on BD.

but, if you're suggesting that the BD version did cover all of the "unschedule cut" and fix up 4~5 animations...

There we go, marketing!

I said I wouldn't have minded if they actually couldn't make it in time and release bad quality episode, but to completely leave them out is wrong. not just one week, every single week. they're paid professionals, (Oh no! Do not cry about how poor those animators are, I don't care!) To have more than 15 unchedule cut every single episode is absurd. It is definitely marketing strategy.

Again, they are recognized, highly rated, for a show they didn't even bother to finish, because... hey, lets use it to our advantage and make it DVD attraction. screw completing even a single episode.

I remember watching ef-a tale of memories, the animation is actually similar to Bakemonogatari. It have a few blanks, but it's alright. (I don't know whether it's deliberate or not because it is that insignificant and didn't have cheating written all over it). I'd gladly buy ef- BD to support them if they ever show up in my country.

but Bakemono went too far.

It's like handing in a test paper to your teacher.

writting class
Teacher: "Why is some of the sentences left out, they could be great?"
Me: "Pay me money and you'll see the full sentences. why should I write you?"

a good DVD cover should be like this
Teacher: "There are some blanks."
Me : "I can't finish it in time, and I think I like to save some of my idea for a future release. maybe even state it in author's note about how I get those ideas and crap"

there.

Powerpoint presentation, sure, but to have cuts... that many cuts! It have cheating written all over it.

I don't care that DEEN did worse when it comes to quality, at the very least, the work they did didn't have cheating written over it.

an finally

I did not call them lazy, I call them cheating!
AirStylesApr 8, 2010 4:13 AM
Apr 8, 2010 4:18 AM

Aug 2009
^ Keep rage... >_> You just repeated what you have been said again... This isn't marketing. Those missing scenes you are bothering which was only about 20 second of entire series were 'INEVITABLE'. They didn't left out those in purpose. They simply 'didn't have time to finish it'. It 'isn't' marketing strategy. It just 'happened to be'.

Do you even know what happened in SHAFT during that period? Shaft was moving their office, which was unscheduled. Half amount of animators were working on ZanSZS. Shaft is relatively smaller studio than anywhere else, yet has been always produce maximum amount of quality as possible in given situation. Except... 'EXCEPT' those 20 seconds of missed-out scenes, art was basically perfect and extremely creative. If you are saying 'still too much red black scenes omg', you better watch Sayonara Zetsubou sensei first, and see how they did even more amount of creepy slideshows.

Remember this again, only 1% of all those monochromes were actual missing scenes. All the others are what Shinbou usually do and remained same in BD version. Beside, actual consensus denies your theory, since Nadeko Snake volume didn't really sell much as what others did.
ringoo4Apr 8, 2010 4:21 AM
Apr 8, 2010 5:26 AM

Feb 2008
AirStyles said:
but, if you're suggesting that the BD version did cover all of the "unschedule cut" and fix up 4~5 animations...

There we go, marketing!
Wait, why are you so pissed off? Are you angry at them for airing it incomplete or angry at them for fixing stuff up on the BDs? In case you didn't know, the producers PAY for having their shows aired, they don't get paid for it like in America and the most of the world. That's the reason most anime airs late at night, it's cheaper for the producers. If they pulled this in America, you would see heads roll. Since they paid for their own airing slot, they can air unfinished, censored, re-edited shit on TV and there's nothing anybody can do, as long as it doesn't break the law.

I'll tl;dr it for you: Shaft pays for having Bakemonogatari air on TV.

Actually, it's not Shaft that pays but the production committee but whatever.

The whole point of the TV airing is to advertise the BD/DVDs or in some cases, an ongoing manga. They have every right to air unfinished stuff and there's nothing you can say or do that would make it anything but right. You don't like the incomplete episodes? Buy the DVD/BDs or be a true pirate and just download.

AirStyles said:
I did not call them lazy, I call them cheating!
Cheating? Seriously? How? By giving you slightly incomplete free stuff? You don't pay, the network doesn't pay, nobody pays but the producers, how is this cheating in any way, shape or form? You're suggesting animating stuff twice is some kind of master plan when the customer might not even pay for it once? Real brilliant marketing strategy...

"Hi, I'm going to give you a car, it's a little dented but it works fine. For a small price, I can fix your new free dented car, good as new, but it's totally optional! It's a win-win!"

Seriously dude.

Edit: OK, after re-reading the OP it's clear you don't know what the fuck is going on in Japan's TV land and so all of your arguments are completely and utterly based on the wrong facts. As I suspected, you seem to think Bakemonogatari could've been "cancelled" or that the ratings matter, two things that are simply wrong when dealing with Japanese anime. Read my entire post, realize that America/New Zealand are not Japan and then ponder your current view.
kuroshiroiApr 8, 2010 5:35 AM
Apr 8, 2010 6:31 AM

Aug 2009
Now, you are repeating again. The fact, 'unscheduled cut Unscheduled cut Unscheduled cut Unscheduled cut Unscheduled cut' can be so obviously ignored by simply downloading freakin BD version. Beside; your focus of this entire thread was on 'unfinished cuts are cheating' which is just so untrue.Therefore, your are justifying yourself by saying "I hat bakemonogatari because they are so lazy so do cutz!!". You know, this makes absolutely no sense but reflect your troll instincts and rage.

The epic part is,
AirStyles said:
Bakemonogatari is the only anime that is that absurd when it comes to unscheduled cut
You know, this isn't really reasoning at all. It's just your freakin rage but no where 'truth' to all people.

Jesus, Internet argument.
Apr 8, 2010 7:10 AM

Jun 2009
So the final conclusion is

Bakemonogatari did nothing wrong. They can do whatever they want to boost DVD/BD sales. They can (literally, in all logic) show us a middle finger on the middle of the screen as a screen block with text saying, "Don't want this? buy the DVD/BD"

And it is perfectly okay because they pay for it.

Anime that air weekly should be seen as previews to DVD/BD.

End this topic, I'm oblivious to who's paying for the airing and did not know that the Anime on TV is just a marketing tool for the DVD/BD sales.

I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused. My views are obviously flawed when it comes to judging regular television in a foreign country.

again, I am sorry for all the ignorant idiocy I've wrote. I guess I'll be picking up a Bakemonogatari BD after all.
AirStylesApr 8, 2010 7:58 AM
Apr 8, 2010 8:29 AM

Feb 2008
Is my sarcasm detector faulty or did you really see my point?
Apr 8, 2010 8:37 AM

Jun 2009
Actually I did.

I'm not a troll, I'm just ignorant. When I fight for something, I usually go all out, to the extent that I may look like a raging troll, but if I am to ever realize my mistakes, I'd stop building on top of the mistakes. In fact I always apologizes to people as well. (May not make sense to you, but that's how I am)

But if anything, I don't make the same mistake twice. So I'll refrain from judging an anime base on it's performance on weekly releases

EDIT: The middle finger part is part of my sense of humor. If people ever commented on how they rate an anime base on the weekly releases, the middle finger bit is exactly how I'll explain to them.
AirStylesApr 8, 2010 8:42 AM
Apr 8, 2010 8:54 AM

Feb 2008
Christ, why didn't somebody explain this earlier ^^

Now, obviously it's not in Shaft's best interest to air unfinished stuff, they want their ad to be as perfect as possible. In this case, they simply couldn't cope with the schedule and had to resort to cuts etc. so people could at least get an idea about what they were going to buy.

They had been doing two shows a season for over a year, something had to give and unfortunately it was Bakemono...
Apr 8, 2010 9:04 AM

Jun 2009
Sad thing is =_=... I take my past idiocy rather seriously...

I'm easily reminded of what kind of fool I was... even today, I can be easily reminded of a mistake I made as a 7 year old and felt all sad because I can't change the past... (I think I'm the only one who still remember that incident... all I did was cutting up drawing paper that teacher handed out and wear it like a hat, which got myself in trouble, but I just can't seem to forget that, and am easily reminded of that... I don't know what got into me that very day...)

I guess I'll keep this new signature for a while, until I got over this for a bit...
Apr 8, 2010 6:05 PM

Aug 2009
It's all fine. There are already significant amount of members who hates bakemonogatari just for this cuts. Mainly for two reasons; first, for being a marketing strategy and second, just hate monochromes in general. First one is just not true and the second one is that they just hate SHAFT products in general.

One thing I know is, SHAFT is not a studio somewhere like Studio deens. From what I've seen SHAFT for the past few years, they always tries their best attempt in a given situation. They do slight amount of troll sometimes (Bakemonogatari delay for example), but it's nowhere near to what Gainax and Kyoani do.

I can say one exception. Honestly, Dance in the Vampire Bund was just out of hand.
Apr 8, 2010 7:45 PM
Jun 2008
kuroshiroiWait, why are you so pissed off? Are you angry at them for airing it incomplete or angry at them for fixing stuff up on the BDs? In case you didn't know, the producers PAY for having their shows aired, they don't get paid for it like in America and the most of the world. That's the reason most anime airs late at night, it's cheaper for the producers. If they pulled this in America, you would see heads roll. Since they paid for their own airing slot, they can air unfinished, censored, re-edited shit on TV and there's nothing anybody can do, as long as it doesn't break the law.[/quote said:

Now that people have cleared up some things, that clears up that one thing that I was upset about, simply because it doesn't exist. (The whole, cutting so much, and then adding so much.) I am not sure if I'll explain it in the right words. From the stand point of an artist here, both writer and an artist, how can anyone be pleased with putting out work they know is flawed and rushed through?

I know that they are supposed to be a small studio, however, from the posts I've seen, people are saying that they have a history of this. (Do correct this, if people haven't been giving accurate information... I tried googling something, and found squat.) Is this kind of thing though, something that one can call professional? No. I also, from this standpoint, say that simply because they pay for their times slots and we are getting it for free, doesn't excuse being unporfessional about it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the anime, for the plot line, and other things. My experience gets soured a bit though, because they did this. Sure, it isn't a new thing, and I am possibly biased, for this reason. I've met two people, one in college, and one in a work situation, who treated the whole thing as a game. I put effort into my work, as did others around them, they didn't. They expected... good things... is the best way to put it.

Of course, the final question comes in, how many hours went into this anime, how many hours went into the other animes, how does the math add up. That's something that remains hidden, whether or not they used hours wisely, or bit off more then they could chew.
Apr 9, 2010 12:46 AM

Jan 2010
ringoo4 said:
This has absolutely nothing to do with money conspiracy. SHAFT was just in luck.

SHAFT is relatively small studio than any other production companies. The number of staffs are small. Last year, with that circumstance, they still managed to do Mario holic, Natsu no arashi two seasons, third season SZS and bakemonogatari.

They cannot really change the airing schedule; it's totally dependant on 'producer' company like aniplex. Due to the serious time management problem arised with their other animes; natsu no arashi dvd and Zan saryonara zetsubou sensei. So, rather than cancelling their anime, showed incompleted slide-shows. It's their fault, but it's no conspiracy. They also showed incompleted and cheap episode for Zan sayonara zetsubou sensei 'EVEN MORE THAN' Bakemonogatari and fixed it in DVD, yet the selling was less than Bakemonogatari. You can't really related those slide-show as a reason for high selling. It did affect it, but it's only an indirect reason. The main reason bakemonogatari displayed miraculous sales on DVD and Blu-ray, was their extremely good art-style and character design regardless of being incompleted, and its clever development on story and characters containing a lot of otaku appeals.
Well said.
Apr 9, 2010 3:07 AM

Feb 2008
Yemi_Hikari said:
Now that people have cleared up some things, that clears up that one thing that I was upset about, simply because it doesn't exist. (The whole, cutting so much, and then adding so much.) I am not sure if I'll explain it in the right words. From the stand point of an artist here, both writer and an artist, how can anyone be pleased with putting out work they know is flawed and rushed through?

I know that they are supposed to be a small studio, however, from the posts I've seen, people are saying that they have a history of this. (Do correct this, if people haven't been giving accurate information... I tried googling something, and found squat.) Is this kind of thing though, something that one can call professional? No. I also, from this standpoint, say that simply because they pay for their times slots and we are getting it for free, doesn't excuse being unporfessional about it.
Well, the TV airings are essentially ads. People who paint pictures usually advertise their paintings by taking pictures of them and putting them in a brochure or online or something like that. The quality isn't the best but you'll get the idea. Then when you want so see the real deal, you go to a gallery. BD/DVDs are Shaft's gallery.

Of course they want to showcase the completed work but due to scheduling and management issues, not to mention pressure from the people paying, these delays occurred. I'm pretty sure they're trying to remedy the situation, only doing one show at the moment and fixing up DVDs and completing the last Bakemonogatari episode. Hopefully they'll get back on track in 6 months or something and this won't happen in the future. It's bound to happen again though ^^

tl;dr: They don't have the luxury of delaying their scheduled TV shows, so their only option is using incomplete versions as ads.
Apr 9, 2010 9:31 PM

Dec 2008
I haven't watched as much Anime as most of the people in here, so I don't have as much under my belt, experience-wise...just saying. Anyway...

Since watching the first episode, I've always thought that the "unnumbered cuts" and other stuff were a part of how Bakemonogatari was intended to be, stylistically. Seeing them also occasionally reminded me of ef - a tale of memories/melodies (which was also in part/completely produced by SHAFT, respectively); a series that I thought was absolutely stellar. The unnumbered cuts aside, I think the anime adaptation of the series is the most unique (in every sense of the word) I've ever seen, and I fell in love with it, following the series since. I haven't read the visual novels mainly cause I don't like reading Mangas as opposed to watching Animes, so I don't exactly know what I'm missing.

All this said, I'm sure my opinion would be considered heavily biased by some, but there's my two cents.

@ SHAFT; Ep. 15 ASAP! =[

Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango, daikazoku~

Apr 10, 2010 1:45 AM

Feb 2008
Style over substance I guess. To each his own.
Apr 10, 2010 6:11 AM

Nov 2007
Have you just recently watched Welcome to NHK? It's the same thing, I mean the way your acting.

Lol, I'm actually supporting this. I've lost fate in SHAFT now. Same for KyoAni. I'm not even watching anything that SHAFT makes anymore. Seriously.

Apr 26, 2010 6:52 PM
Jun 2008
kuroshiroi said:
Yemi_Hikari said:

Well, the TV airings are essentially ads. People who paint pictures usually advertise their paintings by taking pictures of them and putting them in a brochure or online or something like that. The quality isn't the best but you'll get the idea. Then when you want so see the real deal, you go to a gallery. BD/DVDs are Shaft's gallery.

Of course they want to showcase the completed work but due to scheduling and management issues, not to mention pressure from the people paying, these delays occurred. I'm pretty sure they're trying to remedy the situation, only doing one show at the moment and fixing up DVDs and completing the last Bakemonogatari episode. Hopefully they'll get back on track in 6 months or something and this won't happen in the future. It's bound to happen again though ^^

tl;dr: They don't have the luxury of delaying their scheduled TV shows, so their only option is using incomplete versions as ads.

Sorry, but no. The example of people taking pictures of their paitings and posting them into magazines isn't an arguement that helps their standing in this, it actually hurts them. What artist would go and take a picture of a half finished paiting for an advertizement and slam it into a magazine? Even if the picture resoultion isn't the best, they still show the whole, and finnished product.

In all my art classes, my professors emphasize that we need to not just work on our skills, but be aware of "scheduling and managing" issues. In other words, this is something that a professional should know about.
underMebius said:
Have you just recently watched Welcome to NHK? It's the same thing, I mean the way your acting.

Lol, I'm actually supporting this. I've lost fate in SHAFT now. Same for KyoAni. I'm not even watching anything that SHAFT makes anymore. Seriously.

Nope. I don't know about Welcome to NHK. But do feel free to enlighten me using spoiler tags. :)
Apr 27, 2010 12:32 AM

Oct 2009
The cuts were awesome.
Apr 27, 2010 3:13 AM

Nov 2008
Just think that the cuts are artistic and problem is solved,because you think that it's irritating it arise so many problem... just think it in a different way and problem is solved.
Apr 27, 2010 2:22 PM
Jun 2008
YagokoroEirin said:
Just think that the cuts are artistic and problem is solved,because you think that it's irritating it arise so many problem... just think it in a different way and problem is solved.

I can only do that, when the cuts are intentional. Someone has proven that they were, for the most part intentional. There is another problem thought, they didn't time manage right, and thus ended up with problems.
Apr 27, 2010 4:13 PM

Apr 2010
I actually thought that the monochromes and cuts sort of added to the mood depending on the color o.o;;. It's like... if there's danger, or anger, there might be red, or if there's sort of a dark, or hint at darkness, there might be the common black. Maybe it's just me, but that's what I was thinking of them as xD;;.

"Do not stand begging for that which you have the power to earn." -Miguel de Cervantes
Apr 29, 2010 6:53 PM

Aug 2009
Yemi_Hikari said:
Sorry, but no. The example of people taking pictures of their paitings and posting them into magazines isn't an arguement that helps their standing in this, it actually hurts them. What artist would go and take a picture of a half finished paiting for an advertizement and slam it into a magazine? Even if the picture resoultion isn't the best, they still show the whole, and finnished product.

In all my art classes, my professors emphasize that we need to not just work on our skills, but be aware of "scheduling and managing" issues. In other words, this is something that a professional should know about.
Your example isn't quite right. There is clear difference between art and industrial media products. Your example of 'painting' is only needs to be finished before showing the photo, since what important for them is originality and very hard to be FIXED or whatever. Anime isn't serious business like that, it is very flexible, and there are so much other things to be concerned, not just art or animation part.

It's not like I'm saying SHAFT did a good thing. It was huge mistake struggling with the time management. But it doesn't mean it is WRONG.

Yemi_Hikari said:
I can only do that, when the cuts are intentional. Someone has proven that they were, for the most part intentional.
[repeat]
Cuts were NOT intentional, but 99% of them was art aspect that usual SHAFT does.

Only about 15 seconds of whole series was remained unfinished.
[/repeat]
May 1, 2010 12:16 AM

Jan 2008
AlexSadist-sama said:
Okay, I get what you mean now. Wtf. There are constant image interruptions (the red/yellow backgrounds).

i actually thought the red / yellow parts were part of the show and didn't mind them at all. doesn't really annoy me or anything, as written above they have they're own reasons for doing it. criticizing isn't the same as making the work by yourself.

May 7, 2010 12:07 AM
Jun 2008
ringoo4 said:
Yemi_Hikari said:

Your example isn't quite right. There is clear difference between art and industrial media products. Your example of 'painting' is only needs to be finished before showing the photo, since what important for them is originality and very hard to be FIXED or whatever. Anime isn't serious business like that, it is very flexible, and there are so much other things to be concerned, not just art or animation part.

It's not like I'm saying SHAFT did a good thing. It was huge mistake struggling with the time management. But it doesn't mean it is WRONG.

You do realize, I wasn't the one who brought up the painting example in the first point? It was someone who was trying to use it to support Shaft, by saying that both were like advertisement for selling the product. Truth be told, I can't think of any kind of advertising, that shows partial product to the consumer.

I am truthfully not trying to argue against going back, and fixing a few thing after the fact. I mean, that is something I expect of a professional. (Which is what Shaft did.) What I am arguing against, is the idea that because Anime showing on telivision is simply advertisement for a product, and that means that they can do whatever, even if it cuts minutes of footage. (Which isn't what Shaft did.) I can't think of any professional, who would concider the actual show, to be advertisement for the show.

Also, I am not getting what is meant by their is a clear difference between art that is non-commercial, and art that is commercial. There is none, except for the fact that one is commercial, but the other is not. The only thing I can think of is, one tends to be single based, while the other is mass produced, but not necisarrily all the time. They're still artists and they still have standards.

I also can't see how it isn't a serious industry, as this is how a good deal of them make their livelyhoods, isn't it? It's still highly competitive, trying to get something that appeals to the audience more then another show. If you do good at your job, you run the chance of the studio your working for, growing, or getting to move onto one of the bigger studios. Saying it isn't serious, is also insulting to those that do put their best foot foward.

I think... your last words also proved that what they did was wrong. I mean, you can't say what they did was a good thing. You also pointed out that the time management was a huge mistake. What is right about that? Nothing...

Yemi_Hikari said:
I can only do that, when the cuts are intentional. Someone has proven that they were, for the most part intentional.
[repeat]
Cuts were NOT intentional, but 99% of them was art aspect that usual SHAFT does.

Only about 15 seconds of whole series was remained unfinished.
[/repeat]

Umm... did you even read what I wrote and what came before it? If 99% are the usual SHAFT art aspect, then they were intentional. The 1% that wasn't intentional, is livable with, simply becaue 1% is minor. However, if they are not-intentional and Shaft is randomly slapping them in, that is not artistic, not to mention, that makes them look bad, while the first makes them look good.

ThePuisiitis said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
Okay, I get what you mean now. Wtf. There are constant image interruptions (the red/yellow backgrounds).

i actually thought the red / yellow parts were part of the show and didn't mind them at all. doesn't really annoy me or anything, as written above they have they're own reasons for doing it. criticizing isn't the same as making the work by yourself.

*sigh* Except, I have worked in industrial media, though I will admit that it wasn't animation. I would have to have more experience along that particular line, before I got that kind of job. Let's just say, if I was paid via project rather then on an hour scale, I would likely still be at that job. That, or if they had more buisness coming in, to keep me busy, and working more hours.

My critisism comes from the fact that I had a coworker at that job, who had time management problems. What took me fifteen minutes, took him four hours, if not more. In fact, a lot of my school mates at college, could do the project in relativly the same amount of time I did, so it wasn't because I was a genius or something along that lines, or that I am trying to brag.

His work was low quality because of this, and because he just didn't care to listen, when I explained to him certain things didn't work, like color, and font size, not to mention other asspects. Let's just say, he procastinated on a certain project for a long period of time, and I... the intern, ended up getting it ready in a weeks time, when he had a month or more to work on it, because the dead line was fast approaching. And because I was an intern at that time, I didn't get payed, except in credit hours.

As I think I said earlier, I might have a bias here, but to me, brushing off their mistake as a because they can is in a way, insulting? Not really the word I am looking for, but somewhat close. Maybe saying, it downplays the hard work that does go into all of this, particularly those that went into the buisness, because that is what they wanted to do, and they enjoy it, is a better way to put it.
May 9, 2010 8:01 PM

Nov 2008
Wow, I thought it was completely some sort of artistic thing all along.

The cuts - intentional or not - piss me off to no end. It's like having a guy next to you with a stack of construction paper occassionally screaming RED and covering up your monitor with its corresponding paper.

I don't want to watch Bakemonogatari for any kind of artistic value at all - I just want to be entertained. It's hard to be entertained with these goddamn interuptions.

I would go as far as to say that I dislike the show if it wasn't for its amazing characters.
May 9, 2010 10:05 PM

Oct 2007
AirStyles said:

imagine Higurashi like this

That is what Bakemonogatari is like. It didn't only happen in the good part, it happens at least 25 times an episode.

LMFAO! This makes me want to watch it
May 9, 2010 10:55 PM

May 2009
WHOA WHOA WHOA i thought those cuts were actually part of the show..... so they really aren't part of the show!!!!!
May 9, 2010 11:50 PM

Nov 2007
some were, some werent, if you want to blame bakemonos success to anything, if you want to call anything "cheating" blame it on its HEAVY pandering of the oraku AND common watcher's interests. Many western viewers may not get some of the jokes and references Bakemonogatari has on its episodes but I assure you this anime is ABSOLUTELY INFESTED with them...im calling pretty much 40% of a bakemonogatari's episode is jokes/references to popular japanese culture, such heavy use of these things for many of their jokes are what the japanese viewers found interesting about the show and it explains in incredibly high sales. And by popular culture I mean pretty much everything to different shows, commercials, etc...

Of course the otakus would eat it up!!

Just remember this, popular in Japan =/= popular outside of Japan
May 10, 2010 12:10 PM
Jun 2008
hazelnutman said:
I would go as far as to say that I dislike the show if it wasn't for its amazing characters.

That is one of the main reasons, even though there is the lacking in the artistic planning department, I find I can still enjoy the anime.

I just find time management issues on ANY studios part, to be a bad thing, so it isn't really just Shaft. But... from what I've read in this forum, they've been having a little bit of problems lately. No ones really filled in more on that.

game8910 said:
some were, some werent, if you want to blame bakemonos success to anything, if you want to call anything "cheating" blame it on its HEAVY pandering of the oraku AND common watcher's interests. Many western viewers may not get some of the jokes and references Bakemonogatari has on its episodes but I assure you this anime is ABSOLUTELY INFESTED with them...im calling pretty much 40% of a bakemonogatari's episode is jokes/references to popular japanese culture, such heavy use of these things for many of their jokes are what the japanese viewers found interesting about the show and it explains in incredibly high sales. And by popular culture I mean pretty much everything to different shows, commercials, etc...

Of course the otakus would eat it up!!

Just remember this, popular in Japan =/= popular outside of Japan

I noticed a great deal of that, and caught some of them that were in there. However, some I will admit, went over my head, and I kind of wished those doing the subs explained them, but then... these things might have gone over their heads too, for all I know. Actually, there are a few other shows, that parody, that I am curious as to where some of the stuff they parody comes from, but almost no one talks about that, from what I've seen.
May 11, 2010 12:36 PM

Feb 2010
yeah It's true man...

there's must be someone big(figure) behind this...
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

May 14, 2010 10:27 PM
Jun 2008
Cashdaxxx said:
yeah It's true man...

I am not sure what asspect of the thread you are refering to. I mean... you could be refering yet again to the fact that there are all those cuts, or you could be refering to the fact that there is tons of subtle imphasis on various parts of the Japanese culture in there...
May 15, 2010 6:43 AM

Feb 2010
Yemi_Hikari said:
Cashdaxxx said:
yeah It's true man...

I am not sure what asspect of the thread you are refering to. I mean... you could be refering yet again to the fact that there are all those cuts, or you could be refering to the fact that there is tons of subtle imphasis on various parts of the Japanese culture in there...

refers to: money-making business a.k.a. Otaku pawah!!
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jun 6, 2010 4:42 AM

Aug 2008
AirStyles said:
kenjinsakura said:
Well, I don't get why you're so angry though. It's not like youre gonna buy the dvd right? We're all just gonna DL the dvd rips anyway right? =)

I just hate to see shows like that...

I'd gladly say good thing about good show, buying DVDs even(In fact I bought DVD, VCDs, even rented anime in the past when I lived in Asia). But I can't get over the fact that they're popular for what they did...

The world shouldn't work this way. When you hand in an exam paper incomplete, you fail... sure you might still pass, but not writting down the answer to important questions or your name/ID number... You fail!

It's just wrong for them to be famous, and for so many to call it the best show ever made...

If people rant about Moe-blob, because they want less of it... why can't I rant about this abomination? I do not wanna see another example of it!

AlexSadist-sama said:

I know, now imagine that on all your favorite show, still think you'll like them? If people kept supporting this crap, there will be more of these

I agree, don't complain for something that is free . Your not going to pay for it. This show cost money and time to make. Be grateful that you get to "pirate" (Er, Steal) it off the internet and watch it for free, with free fansubs. Work you put into this? None, unless you count your rant, lol.

Though I do agree with you, it is quite annoying. But bearable, as seeing I have not, and probably will not buy any of the DVD/BR. (I just can't afford it).

Besides, I'd rather have random annoying blank scenes for partially part of the show, than having down-graded art.

But hey, that's just me.
FateEntityJun 6, 2010 4:46 AM
Jun 6, 2010 12:52 PM

Feb 2010
ringoo4 said:
^ Keep rage... >_> You just repeated what you have been said again... This isn't marketing. Those missing scenes you are bothering which was only about 20 second of entire series were 'INEVITABLE'. They didn't left out those in purpose. They simply 'didn't have time to finish it'. It 'isn't' marketing strategy. It just 'happened to be'.

And by 'happened to be' you mean 'purposeful, because it's fun.'

To the ones who don't have a problem with the cuts, even after realizing most were intentional: You should read House of Leaves. If you're fine reading something that doesn't involve a harem ^^ The reason I mention it is because it's a modern horror where the author occasionally leaves out information for certain scenes to simulate certain effects. Quite purposely. I thought it was well done.

Humorously enough, the parallel goes even further to some comments mentioned in this thread already: the book was first released online for free, and then was sold in book form. With extras, of course, but that's because the author was able to consolidate all his information into a pretty book.

The text itself goes crazy at points ^^

It is long, and a very involved book, but I enjoyed it immensely.
Jun 9, 2010 8:39 AM
Aug 2007
Ehhh~ lol i thought the mini color cutscenes had some artistic meaning to it lol xD Thats what i felt anyway, It didn't seem like a bother at all lol but more added to the artsy-ness lol but Bakemonogatari does contain some/many subtle parodies in it lol and references.

Then should i say if the mini cutscenes were taken out, how would the feel to Bakemonogatari have been? Would it still have the same feel to it? Would Bakemonogatari still have that nice abstract feel to it which is apparent in the opening mainly with the introduction texts which flash at unreadable speeds? Is the text there for you to pause and read or just to get a glimpse off to just slightly see some key words? Do the mini cutscenes which say 'kuro' 'shiro' or 'aka' with a number on them say that its there so that they can get you to buy the dvd or is it there for adding the feel to the moment with the correct mood colors and rather be a less than subtle psychological addition to the scene?

Mmm~ If all my favourite Anime were like that then that would be the norm of Anime wouldn't it? Maria+Holic was nice as well xD it also had this kind of abstract artsy feel-ish lol that i liked about it xD i think that they did the mini color cutscenes for some meaningful purpose and not to annoy you to the point of hating it. =/

Hmm~ and i don't think anyone should be talking so freely about downloading Anime for free and supporting it because they,SHAFT, did something like this just because you don't like it or you don't understand why they did it and assuming/finding a reason that its for marketing purposes. Though its Illegal and people do it anyway, who are foreign and can't wait for it to be licensed and all that complicated stuff lol. Well even if you Did buy the dvd, You would probably earn more money than they ever would. And by assuming that they're greedy people which want money, you're associating that Japanese people are greedy exactly like American people. And if they were really extracting money out of Otaku's why would they make something of such high quality to do so? Try not to associate local knowledge with how Japanese people do things differently from Foreigners. ^^
Jun 9, 2010 8:45 AM
Jun 2010
On a side note:
@Alex, I just couldn't get into it. There are very few anime that I will just stop watching. I tend to try and reserve judgment until the very end.

That being said, I'll go back to Bakemono eventually, but it left a dry taste in my mouth, never really hooking me into the series.
Nov 27, 2010 10:08 PM
Jun 2008
@ sexiji - House of Leaves is horror? Wait... I went and looked up the anime and it is House of Five Leaves, so... thanks for a bit of confusion at first... Went and looked it up, and I think I would get psychologically sick if I read that book, from what little I've read. That isn't meant to insult, particularly since I find the way it to be set up... genius level. It's just... no... just no for me... oi...
Mar 17, 2011 9:47 PM

Aug 2010
I only really started watching anime recently, and Bakemonogatari was probably only the 7th full series I watched.

When I watched it, I thought those cuts of red and black were part of the show. I thought it was some interesting new gimmick that this show was using (I never did figure out why it was needed). The only thing I noticed about this show was how everything was drawn in a way that was so different from other anime I have seen, though admittedly I have not seen as many as some.

The point is for me I was never affected by those cuts, they made the show even more special for me because I thought they were some neat trick to symbolize something XD.
Jun 26, 2011 2:08 AM

Nov 2010
Damn it, this thread is hilarious.
I play, the haters lose.
Jun 26, 2011 2:21 AM

Jul 2009
LOL you mad.
Jun 26, 2011 8:49 AM
Apr 2009
I didn't even like Bakemonogatari, but this topic is moronic.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

510 by deem0n »»
Apr 23, 1:30 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Apr 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.