Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 31, 2013 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
The story was sad. Seeing her being unable to abandon her saber because all her life and her resolution revolved around that saber.

Shichika was so heartless. But I guess it's just part of his nature and is naivety.

Togame was cute in this episode. She just had a lot of respect for the priest.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 15, 2014 2:54 AM

Mar 2010
This episode was extremely disappointing. So Shichika is a sociopath and Togame doesn't care if 1000 girls suffer or die because she wants swords. Probably the worst main characters I've seen. It greatly lowered my opinion of this anime. The only true villains this episode were the main characters and they don't even have an excuse.
Mar 11, 2014 7:09 PM

Apr 2013
I was disappointed with the last episode, but it changed this episode. The best episode so far. We actually got to learn about the wielder of Shikizaki blades, and why she fights. I didn't want Shichika nor Togame to kill the Wielder, and I sympathized with Meisai throughout the whole episode.

HikaruIzumi said:
This episode was extremely disappointing. So Shichika is a sociopath and Togame doesn't care if 1000 girls suffer or die because she wants swords. Probably the worst main characters I've seen. It greatly lowered my opinion of this anime. The only true villains this episode were the main characters and they don't even have an excuse.

I wouldn't say the episode was disappointing, but I can see Shichika as a sociopath. He even killed Meisai (Who tried extremely hard to protect those 1000 girls), only to smile and say hi right after when Togame showed up.
Though, that doesn't mean it was a disappointing episode because of that. Shichika and Togame have a different goal than the rest of the characters, and we have to watch through that. A hero can be a villain in another persons perspective.
Jun 2, 2014 8:34 AM

Apr 2013
Lmao the ninja took like 5 min to introduce himself and then he was killed in 1 second.

This time we got some back story on the sword wielder.
Jul 24, 2014 4:06 PM

Dec 2013
Dem brEWtal, but she killed many people too so whatever.
Blonde guy was the best.
Aug 14, 2014 5:36 PM

Oct 2012
This was a very good episode. Pretty psychological. Sad that she died but the main was all business.

Oct 8, 2014 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
Wow. This was the best episode yet. We got a great deal of backstory and more understanding of our antagonist this time around, and it made for a very powerful scene when she died. Her dead body on the ground and the blood on Shichika's hand... I don't recall ever feeling sad for an antagonist like that.

This brings up the issue of Shichika's morality: Should he become more sensitive, or should he remain a "sword" that only does as commanded? I do think he should develop more sensitivity (even if killing her wasn't "wrong"), yet at the same time he can't be affording to hesitate when his life is on the line.

Whew. That's good writing. The serious tone was done even more superbly than the silly tone.

The preview looks intense. Perhaps we'll get a bit more action fanservice next episode.
Nov 16, 2014 9:16 PM
Jun 2013
Another improved episode!
Dec 14, 2014 2:09 AM

Aug 2013
So much emotions squirming about... can't take it all in. T^T
All the characters seem to meet tragic ends in this anime.. not many like this I've watched.
I like the humor and little romantic occurrences between them both.. it's very cute and funny. XD
They manage to do well in balancing the story and pacing. Now only if the battle would draw out longer.
Those maniwani guys getting torn apart is going to become a frequent incident.. I lol'ed hard at that.
But damn look at the preview.. the next fight seem like it finally won't end with a quick blow haha !
Hakuhei looks pretty mysterious.. wonder what's his story.
Dec 26, 2014 12:36 PM

Aug 2014
Great episode once again, it didn't have the unnecessary dialogue that the other episodes had.
Granted the fight was pretty subpar since i was expecting much more, the backstory made up for it

I really liked Meisai, very sad that she had to die :/
KashKetchumDec 26, 2014 12:54 PM
Jan 2, 2015 1:19 AM

Jun 2014
holy shit my head hurts from all the talking. Its too much. I was able to get through the Monogatari series pretty well, but this is just mind numbing.
I still really LOVE the characters and their motivations.
I like the opening too.
That wasn't there before right?
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 4, 2015 4:20 PM
Jan 2012
Haven't felt the need to comment on the episodes up to this one, which was so good, SO good. At first I thought this show would be like the Monogatari series, which is basically all style and zero substance (and tons of awful and embarassing fanservice), but I am glad it isn't like that. There is some fanservice here and there, but it is very tame. The two leads are very likable characters and they are a pretty cute couple :) Plus, the dialogues and storylines are very interesting. I am glad I am giving this show a second chance, if not because of the awful experience I ha d with the Monogatari series, I would have watched it a long time ago.
Apr 8, 2015 1:51 PM

Nov 2012
So could you call Shichika an a time-hero?

Also, I thought the ninja guy held a Deviant Sword, but I guess not
May 18, 2015 7:34 PM

Jun 2014
Lol these 2 protags show up at a nice lady's temple, take her sword and murder her.

why are we rooting for them again?
Jun 4, 2015 9:03 AM

Jan 2013
Poor Maniwani, just getting destroyed so easily.
Shame Meisai had to die, just hope they will get a replacement that is as good (In her final 7 years) as her.

Togame and Shichika being stuck to each other in their inn :D

We get to know Shichika killed his own father.
PrOxAntoJun 4, 2015 9:10 AM
Jun 5, 2015 5:03 AM

Dec 2013
He ends up carrying her anyway...

Surprised to learn that Shichika killed his father 0.0

Wow that ninja got fodderised surprisingly easily.

That fight was pretty stupid. Shichika just runs out of the trap as if it's no big deal -_-

Kind of sad to see Meisai go. I acutally really liked her. I really hope that those kids will be ok.

lol at the ending XD
G_Spark233Jun 5, 2015 5:07 AM
Jun 7, 2015 7:29 PM

Sep 2014
My man used kyoka suigetsu :D
Aug 3, 2015 10:50 AM

Jun 2015
He killed his own father?
Nov 30, 2015 9:04 PM

Feb 2010
Great to know that the main male protagonist is a psychopath lol

Dec 15, 2015 8:27 PM

Jul 2014
A little weaker than the first two.

Still good, though!

4/5
Feb 20, 2016 4:04 PM

Mar 2015
Sentoryu : Unlimited Blade Works! lol

Best episode so far, nice (albeit short) fight and more importantly the antagonist had a lot of development as a character.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Mar 9, 2016 12:54 AM

Jan 2010

And so ends Katanagatari's episode of month of March.

As it seems, each episode has gotten more and more weighty, detailing each sword, their owner, and the relationship the two have. Living up to the anime's name "Sword Story," I'm greatly enjoying how each tale plays out. They're akin to fables and short stories, where each story has some moral regarding each sword and what they mean to every owner, which is then balanced on a scale with what they mean to Togame, Shichika, and the country as a whole. By taking away each sword, they're also taking away each owner's pride and reason for being, essentially killing them metaphorically. I suppose that's how Meisai came to terms with her inevitable death, as she knew her swords would be taken away by force eventually.

Actually, as she explained it, the swords served to empower the girls of the shrine and help them forget their past traumas, but if they were to become too attached to their blades, then the swords would then become poisonous. Not only were the swords eventually going to be taken away by the Shogunate, they need to be taken away regardless for the sake of the girls. That, of course, makes the finale of this episode even more depressing to think about. I suppose it was fortunate that Shichika fought here, as I can't imagine any other character in any other series who could have taken Meisai's blades without seeming cruel, unsympathetic, or hypocritical in terms of protecting the country at the cost of the shrine maidens' well being.

Shichika is truly a sword, and both his words and actions reflect that, but he's not inhuman either. Meisai's attempts at appealing to his emotions completely failed, but he showded a high level of respect here. Neither side held anything back, both in terms of their beliefs and their actions. In addition, I don't think any other character could have gone through with that kill. Even Togame almost questioned the action before retracting it, which was damn hard to watch.

So far, it feels like I'm reading the travel log. I'm reminded of Around the World in 80 Days, The Canterbury Tales, Kino's Journey and Galaxy Express 999, and I'm enjoying Katanagatari just as much. I must admit though, had Meisai not raised so many great questions when speaking to Shichika, the whole scenario would have been really messed up. Shichika himself would have seemed uncaring and one dimensional, and I actually was taken aback by his responses initially, but due to both Meisai and the show's writing, there's an awareness shown to alternative solutions and interpretations, as well as the demonstration of Shichika's and Togame's convictions. I'm not sure how this episode could have worked out without cheesing it out through mercy and friendship. When the ninja showed up, I expected Meisai to have died while fighting him, resulting in her sword being passed on to Togame or something. With the episode's preceding events leading up to that last duel, I can say that Katangatari has my respect for going through with its narrative.

And with that, thus begins the wait until next month's tale of swords.
Mar 18, 2016 12:11 PM

Jul 2015
Good episode, i feel like togame don't like how he kill without hesitation.
Apr 23, 2016 4:16 PM
Feb 2014
Laevantein said:
rarri said:

FUCK,,, YEAH!
Fvuk i miss that one..

No image is showing up!!! I WANNA KNOW WHAT EVERYONE WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT MORE THAN 6 YEARS AGOOO!!!!!

Edit: just to elaborate, Mr/Mrs HawthornerKitty inserted an image under a spoiler tag. Unfortunately, that image doesnt seem to exist anymore so I can't view it. Somebody please help me T.T
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
May 17, 2016 3:35 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Glad to know that part of the reason a few others enjoyed this episode the most so far is because there was less Togame...

That's not the main reason though, I really liked how the antagonist was handled. Like the second episode's antagonist, she wasn't evil, but she has had more depth. I enjoyed hearing about her motivations and her past. The sentouryuu style is also very cool, although more so on the battlefield than when it's just 1 vs. 1. Perhaps it was meant to feel that way, but it was most definitely anticlimatic when all Shichika had to do was to run out of the forest, lol. The fact that she had to take the time to set up for the duel showed that she was at an disadvantage, that Shichika is the worst type of opponent for her sword style. It was sad to see her have to die in the end, when it wasn't really necessary. But I don't blame Shichika either for his really simple views and attitude. As for protagonist and antagonist, it doesn't mean that protagonists are those we have to root for, or that they are automatically more right, and that's really clear here.

I also liked the amount of dialogue in this episode, it didn't even feel overwhelming or boring at all, most of it was interesting and not overdone.
Jun 7, 2016 2:32 AM

Mar 2014
In just one episode, Meisei was better than every other introduced character.
Jul 4, 2016 9:50 AM

Jan 2016
Out of all the characters in this show, Shichika is the most terrifying. It's scary how effortlessly he can take someone's life. The ninjas are easily overwhelmed though.

Also, every character's design and voice actor has been pretty on point so far. Loving this show.
Sep 4, 2016 1:47 PM

Mar 2015
Loving this series so far. Enjoying the character building of the sword-wielder of the week and the ninja that just immediately dies after talking smack
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 29, 2016 6:59 AM

Jun 2016
Disappointed with this series so far.

I liked that there was less fluff in this episode. Meisai was a well-built tragic character (on top of being badass and female), and I was rooting for her throughout - well, I knew she couldn't win since she's not the OP MC, but I was hoping she would at least survive. Denied, and through a very weak battle at that - although by that time I was anticipating her death as karma for her having killed the original Meisai in cold blood. At this point it seems like the real antagonists in the story are Shichike and Togame, who can frolic after having killed someone they clearly respected. I'm confused whether the show really wants me to notice that both of them are damaged goods, because it constantly tries to hide this behind comedy. I suppose this will become clearer as the show progresses. Maybe there will be some sort of comeuppance for the killings. Personally, I hope there is, and we get to see some sort of path to redemption for the MCs.

All that said, preview for next ep looked solid!
ArachnophobicSep 29, 2016 7:17 AM
Nov 6, 2016 1:03 AM

Mar 2012
Although the show's premise seemed interesting it hasn't really been as entertaining as I'd hoped. I can't seem to get attached to the characters and what little action it has towards the end is just bad.

The sword wasn't even special, just had a bunch of copies lol. I can't even believe how she expected that plan in the forest to work in the first place. Not only was it done in broad daylight but she didn't even try to conceal the swords and she decided to blab on instead of engaging him before he realized he could easily just step out of the forest. Then she dies a one hit which wasn't even shown...again. Kinda like how the ninja got killed.

Speaking of the ninja, she just ran past him and he died lol. Guess the attack was too fast for us to see it again.
Feb 13, 2017 6:15 PM

May 2015
Too bad that MILF died. :( She was so good. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 16, 2017 3:46 PM

Jun 2013
Meisai. What a cool, deeply flawed and tragic character. It's true that the miko eventually would have had to give up the swords anyways, and she made Togame promise to take care of them, plus she knew what she was doing... She was a murderer but she changed her ways so I really didn't want her to die. This episode did a good job at making me conflicted about Togame and Shichika's quest.

Katanagatari is more about the swords and the people who wield them. I think the battle and Meisai's defeat might be unsatisfying on purpose, though I understand why some people wouldn't. Still, I can accept the criticism regarding the plotholes in the battle and the comic relief after Meisai's death.

I want to quote some comments from the Reddit threat because they put it much better than I could have:

LeeTailorJul 16, 2017 3:58 PM
Sep 7, 2017 9:57 AM

Oct 2015
I am loving this anime and everything about it, even if its nearly 50 minutes per episode I don't feel it
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 14, 2017 11:58 PM

Oct 2012
Miko Moeeeee xD

She was a good person
Shame, truly shame that have to die :(

Maybe what Togame said is true
Cursed sword owners can't just give it like that, it must be taken forcefully
Otherwise cursed sword is not cursed at all xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 16, 2017 9:50 PM

Dec 2015
Summary of this episode:
-Spend 35 minutes building up the upcoming fight.
-*fight starts*
-But it doesn't actually start cause we get 10 more minutes of dialogue before even a punch is thrown, because why not amirite?
-*fight resumes*
-*fight ends in seconds*
WHAT A FUCKING JOKE.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 18, 2018 3:20 PM

Aug 2007
The first part of this episode was pretty average like the first two episodes but... I started to become more immersed learning about Meisai in the last 15 mins. I really hope later characters similar to her, because I can understand the appeal to this anime from the depth they put into Meisai.

May 1, 2018 3:46 AM

May 2016
Each episode just becomes better and better while it adds a completely different atmosphere and experience than the last episode. That "I will let you fall for me guy" must be a running joke but him appearing in the next episode might change that.

That mishap with her hair sure looks like a pleasant misunderstanding. I'm surprised that the shrine maidens weren't tempted to make a sassy side comment when Meisai started to think that the two ain't a couple lmao

I think that Meisai implied that the successor will be the miko that swung her sword around when Togame tried to inspect it coz she said that she wasn't fully recovered yet. Her backstory was a riveting one and the thousand-sword style was fascinating. I wished that I'd see more of it in action.

It's funny that most of the Maniwani ninja end up as chopping blocks to show the sword's power. The actual bossfights went by really quick too thanks to Shinchika's overpoweredness but the moments that build-up to that moment made up for it as usual.

May 4, 2018 8:42 AM

Nov 2016
Episodes so far were pretty good,but wow,this was something else. The feels.....

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 13, 2018 7:58 AM

Aug 2015
At this point all I could say is press f to pay respects to Maniwani fodders

Anyway I really love how interesting the "antagonist" in this series so far to a point where I wish they wouldn't need to be killed but in the case of Meisai, I guess karma really is a bitch for slaying the priest and her crew. Still felt bad for her though, she just wants to protect those crazy-ass maidens.

Looks like the next ep preview is hype, Japan's strongest samurai huh with the cheesy catchphrase is next

Cheerio!
Aug 25, 2018 6:23 AM

Dec 2016
Another great episode, and hey it ended up being fair because they left with two new swords instead of just one lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 28, 2019 11:54 PM

May 2018
I like how Meisai fights, along with how her sword works. The dialouge makes more sense in this episode, and has a good backstory. So far the only sword holder that I felt bad after seeing her die.

Dec 6, 2019 5:22 PM

Aug 2017
I thought Meisai Tsuruga was evil before the Maniwa ninja was killed by her. Its a shame that she is dead but I respect her decision. She was a tragic character.

Soooo. Shichika killed his dad?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 10, 2020 4:14 PM
Jan 2020
Loved the way he declared himself a sword and also Togame controling herself after the fight...
Jun 12, 2020 1:15 AM
Jul 2018
Another great episode. However, i wish they can show the fight scenes more than just cutting it to the end of the fight.
Sep 9, 2020 1:36 AM

Sep 2018
Shichika didn't feel bad when he killed the girl :(

Too many dialogue again, the fighting scene is disappointing for me. Too short. Maybe it's really not the focus of this anime but I expect a cool fight though.
Sep 12, 2020 9:17 PM

Jul 2013
I personally also think that this was the best episode so far. Again a lot of dialogue, but it's interesting to hear other backgrounds like the one of Meisais. Even if she was a bad person in the past, she changed a lot and tried to help so many girls who experienced the absolute worst.

The conversation between Meisai and Shichika showed again that he doesn't questioned anything he does and that he lacks feelings or maybe doesn't understand them like a normal person. I'm sure to a certain point it's his laziness but maybe Togame can show him the reason why you sometimes should have your own mind.

What happened after Meisais and Shichikas fight was the best example. He didn't feel bad at all or showed any kind of sadness for killing Meisai. He was just looking at his bloody hand and told Togame about his win. Togame was definitely as upset as I was. I hoped this fight would have end up with Meisai still being alive :(

Seems like next episode will be a lot of fun.

Dec 1, 2020 4:25 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Somehow I feel smarter with every episode. The dialogues are just excellent and I don't mind them at all. The art is lovely and the fights are good. They may not last long, but the fight isn't the most important part. It seems that the characters are the important thing and the long conversations just flesh them out. Good stuff!
May 22, 2021 5:56 PM

Aug 2013
The whole flashback at the end was pretty unnecessary and could probably be cut a lot shorter. A lot of it was just telling us stuff we already knew (classic Nisio Isin), but otherwise this was a superb episode.
Aug 18, 2022 1:16 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Dang, I thought Meisai would be one who would get to live after the fight, but I guess not. Shichika finished her off in one blow and shrugs it off like it was nothing. Which is kind of sad because she didn't have the most happy of pasts, and now with her looking after this shrine and the girls, her heart seemed to be in the right place. But alas she either overestimated her own abilities or underestimated Shichika, because she did not make use of the surrender option which she herself proposed.

Of course just like the Monogatari series, Katanagatari is dialogue-heavy. But for me at least, Katanagatari is far more simple and easy to follow, and has my utmost attention at all times unlike the Monogatari series which I admit did have me zoning out at times. Anyway, looks like we shall already be arriving at the peak of this series with the next episode coming up. Will they be able to keep my attention for the 8 episodes remaining after that? I just hope it doesn't fall on its face by the end which some people say it does.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.