Forum Settings
Forums

Ever see lesbian/gay characters in non-romantic/ecchi anime?

New
Apr 16, 2017 4:16 PM
Mar 2017
This means no Yuri, Yaoi, Shoujo Ai, BL, or anything other genre that centers around the sexuality of the characters.
Well I've certainly got one.
Now I've just started watching Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, so correct me if I'm wrong when I say Tohru, the orange haired dragon maid, is a lesbian.
I mean she is pretty blunt about her affection as well as her sexual attraction for Kobayashi.
It's pretty cute how she 's in love with her, and I at least hope something happens between the two later on in the story.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 16, 2017 4:23 PM
Jan 2017
AoT and Sailor Moon are what come to mind.
Apr 16, 2017 4:23 PM
Feb 2016
Kobayashi-san is a fanservice/moe anime, there's plenty of yuri in shows like that, especially by Kyoto Animation.

Lesbian characters in comedy/drama:
Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell: SAC)
Yagyu Kyuubei (Gintama)
Midori Tokiwa (Tamako Market)
Tsumugi Kotobuki (K-On!) - maybe
And I think nearly all of the characters in Revolutionary Girl Utena are at least bicurious.

Gay characters in comedy/drama:
Can't think of any confirmed ones, but Reinhard and Killua have got to be gay, right?
defunct0001Apr 16, 2017 4:40 PM
Apr 16, 2017 4:24 PM

Jan 2013
apparently SnK likes to imply YmirxKrista
and Victuuri (Yuri on Ice) is basically a canon, I don't uderstand why it isn't tagged as shounen ai

Edit: I remembered some more
Akise Aru from Mirai Nikki is gay
the main Free! series isn't really gay (at least the 1st season) but the High Speed movie implies MakoHaru
there is some kind of homoerotic tension between Guts and Griffith (I don't ship them, just saying)
I generally question Akemi Homura's sexuality, she goes too far for Madoka
seems like Japan wants me to ship OtabekxYurio
fuyukiApr 16, 2017 6:51 PM
Apr 16, 2017 4:24 PM

Jun 2015
Leeron from Gurren Lagann, along with some background characters from Shinichiro Watanabe shows.

Also I'm certain that Haruhi Suzumiya and Tomoko Kuroki are bi.
AltoRoarkApr 16, 2017 4:30 PM
Apr 16, 2017 4:30 PM
Mar 2017
Shoegum said:
Kobayashi-san is a fanservice/moe anime, there's plenty of yuri in shows like that, especially by Kyoto Animation.

Yes, but it's technically not a yuri, shoujo ai, or ecchi.
So what's your point?
Apr 16, 2017 4:33 PM

Dec 2012
Uhm... I think there was a girl in Darker than Black?? But she isn't a main character at all.
Apr 16, 2017 4:38 PM
Feb 2016
AyameTomoko said:
Shoegum said:

So what's your point?

Well, I was just saying that the inclusion of a lesbian character doesn't really make Kobayashi-san better, it just makes it more typical of the genre. At least Kyoto Animation is moving towards being more openly lesbian, which is a step forward from yuri bait.
Apr 16, 2017 4:40 PM

Jan 2013
I remember that there was one gay character in Fuuka...
Edit: Oh, and in Ouran High School Host Club, the protagonist's father is bisexual.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Apr 16, 2017 4:41 PM

Nov 2016
Tsumugi from K-ON!
Yagami and Tooyama from New Game.

Aren't confirmed though.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 16, 2017 4:43 PM

Jul 2015
Nearly all the main characters from Madoka Magica are gay in some way or another.

I think some of the girls from Yuuki Yuuna are also gay, in a similar way to Madoka Magica. At least the main two are? I think?

I'm also pretty sure that Mugi from K-on is gay, which is apparently shown more prominently in the source material than the manga.

I'm sure there are others as well, in addition to all the others mentioned in this thread.

Apr 16, 2017 4:48 PM
Mar 2017
Shoegum said:
AyameTomoko said:

So what's your point?

Well, I was just saying that the inclusion of a lesbian character doesn't really make Kobayashi-san better, it just makes it more typical of the genre. At least Kyoto Animation is moving towards being more openly lesbian, which is a step forward from yuri bait.

Yeah I mean the fanservice part of the anime seem to stay separate from the way Tohru treats Kobayashi.
That's why the relationship elements seem more cute than raunchy.
Apr 16, 2017 5:07 PM
Apr 2016
It has an anime Hourou Musuko that talks about a boy that want to be a girl. Not only it. In the anime also talks about a lot of character that has doubts about your sexuality.
Apr 16, 2017 5:07 PM

Mar 2016

It happens all the time and they usually creep everyone out

Leeron (right) [Gurren Lagann]

Grell Sutcliff [Black Butler]

Jakotsu [Inuyasha]

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2017 5:08 PM

Jul 2013
The Monogatari Series (Kanbaru), Madoka, Symphogear and Danganronpa 3 are the first to come to mind.
Apr 16, 2017 5:11 PM

Jan 2013
Psycho-Pass's Yayoi and Shion for example.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Apr 16, 2017 5:30 PM

Feb 2015
Girinosauro said:
It has an anime Hourou Musuko that talks about a boy that want to be a girl. Not only it. In the anime also talks about a lot of character that has doubts about your sexuality.

If I remember, in Hourou Musuko he does not see himself as gay... he just likes to dress like girl... But his chubby friend and the "handsome" clasmate on the other hand....

AyameTomoko said:
This means no Yuri, Yaoi, Shoujo Ai, BL, or anything other genre that centers around the sexuality of the characters.

So it probably does not count...
RiqueplastApr 16, 2017 5:36 PM
Apr 16, 2017 5:36 PM

Oct 2013
Daley Wong from Bubblegum Crisis. He is flamboyantly gay. Though he is used as comedy relief when he frequently propositions his straight partner, Leon McNichol, he is also portrayed as a loyal and competent detective.
Apr 16, 2017 5:38 PM

Oct 2013
Another I thought of is the transgender florist in Tamako Market.
Apr 16, 2017 5:46 PM
Mar 2017
Riqueplast said:
Girinosauro said:

If I remember, in Hourou Musuko he does not see himself as gay... he just likes to dress like girl... But his chubby friend and the "handsome" clasmate on the other hand....

AyameTomoko said:

So it probably does not count...

Fanservice isn't a genre, it's just an element that can show up within an anime
Ecchi is a genre with a ton of fanservice to the point it transcends he genre itself by effecting he plot.
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon is not an ecchi.
It's a Slice of Life Comedy anime.
KyokisamaApr 16, 2017 5:58 PM
Apr 16, 2017 6:14 PM
Jul 2018
_Poochyena_ said:
Jakotsu [Inuyasha]

Unfortunately. As far as I know, he got a lot of hate because of it. Not because he's gay. The reason is his whole character and that he's the worst stereotype. ^^" He's effeminate in the worst ways aka really camp, constantly hits on Inuyasha and hates women. The character is very cringeworthy imo.

---

Surprisingly more (well-done) characters than I expected or saw in western TV. However this is a very subjective and biased impression, because I don't read comics or like that usually.
Anyway, many good gay characters (or with very strong queer-baiting vibes) are already mentioned.

Oh and I know there will be this kissing scene in Shinsekai Yori, but I don't know what will happening to them later, because I just had finished the first (breath taking) episode. But this anime will be really great, I think.
removed-userApr 16, 2017 6:24 PM
Apr 16, 2017 6:16 PM

Apr 2016
fuyuki said:
and Victuuri (Yuri on Ice) is basically a canon, I don't uderstand why it isn't tagged as shounen ai

Ymir x Krista isn't implied, it's canon. In the manga anyway.
Apr 16, 2017 6:22 PM

Aug 2013
Macross Frontier have one bad ass gay character

Kou x Rin from New Game. Normaly I don't tend to ship so much yuri couples, but this one is a exception. Its really natural and so freaking cute.

Apr 16, 2017 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
Omkar_Nagwade said:
fuyuki said:

Ymir x Krista isn't implied, it's canon. In the manga anyway.

Nice to know it wasn't just my imagination.
Apr 16, 2017 6:32 PM

Apr 2016
Lesbian characters-
Motoko Kusanagi (GiTS) - she's actually bisexual
K-On - Mugi is implied to be lesbian but only in the manga.
Ymir and Krista (SnK)
Kuzu no Honkai - one of the characters is a lesbian.
Shion and Yayoi (Psycho Pass)

Gay characters -
Mikasa from Fuuka
The two MCs in Doukyuusei
Bulat from Akame ga Kill

And almost every kid in Shinsekai Yori is either gay, lesbian or bi.
Manyaa_-Apr 16, 2017 9:44 PM
Apr 16, 2017 6:36 PM

Jul 2015
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Lesbian characters-
Motoko Kusanagi (GiTS) - she's actually bisexual
K-On - Mugi is implied to be lesbian but only in the manga.
Ymir and Krista (SnK)
Kuzu no Honkai - one of the characters is a lesbian.
Shion and Yayoi (Psycho Pass)

Gay characters -
Mikasa from Fuuka
The two MCs in Doukyuusei
Bulat from Akame ga Kill

Mugi's implied to be lesbian in the anime too... it's just toned down a lot.
Apr 16, 2017 7:01 PM

Oct 2015
berserk, evagelion, shinsekai yori
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 16, 2017 8:02 PM

Jun 2015
Haruchika.

It's even one of the main characters.
Apr 16, 2017 8:05 PM

Apr 2017
KyoAni... always save the anime...

In every shows like Hibike Euphonium... but it doesn't fall into that genre...

This Yuri-Bait always happened... (Just kissed already xD)

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 16, 2017 8:14 PM

Feb 2010
It's not lesbian when it's actually bestiality. Species before gender.
But there's a million yuri bait characters like her if you enjoy that.

For an actual recent example IBO Season 2 canonized a gay ship after one of the characters died and confirmed the other one to be bisexual.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 16, 2017 8:28 PM

May 2016
Leeron from Gurren Lagann and Bulat from Akame ga Kill are the first ones I had in mind.

Mio from Keijo's pretty much very interested in her fellow female athletes and Nozomi from Love Live has a heavily-implied attraction towards Eli as well.

Apr 16, 2017 8:35 PM

Jan 2017
First thing that came to my mind was Grell Sutcliff from Black Butler. Technically transvestite but gay nevertheless. Got to love a bit of Grell though! :L

GeorgiaaLBMay 3, 2017 12:47 AM
Apr 16, 2017 8:49 PM

Aug 2015
Umm.. I think Ymir and Krista from Shingeki no Kyojin is one of them... And also two of the sailor planets in sailor moon are also have one pair of lesbian right? I can't think of anything else other than that? XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Apr 16, 2017 8:57 PM

Feb 2014
In Natsuiro Kiseki, it's implied that Rin and Natsumi might be bi (towards different people).

Maria from Canaan.

Saki has A LOT of yuri baiting for Saki x Nodoka. Might as well tag it as shoujo ai.

And then there's also Flip Flappers with all its Yuri symbolism.
Apr 16, 2017 9:04 PM

Mar 2017
Freed Justine from Fairy Tail

Apr 16, 2017 9:51 PM

Nov 2009
Personally, I'm looking forward to Centaur's Worries anime. The original manga had a pair of lesbian girls as prominent side characters.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34525/Centaur_no_Nayami
Apr 16, 2017 9:59 PM

Aug 2013
There is the guy from Eva that liked Shinji and there is a male crossdressing character with a scythe that liked Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin.
Apr 16, 2017 11:46 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty much every female character in Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne is a lesbian or bisexual iirc and two of the villains in Ninja Scroll are LGBT (Yurimaru is gay while Gemma is bisexual). There's also a gay couple in the second Mardock Scramble movie. I was going to mention some others but they've already been mentioned.
Take care of yourself

Apr 16, 2017 11:51 PM
Apr 2017
AyameTomoko said:
Now I've just started watching Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, so correct me if I'm wrong when I say Tohru, the orange haired dragon maid, is a lesbian.
I mean she is pretty blunt about her affection as well as her sexual attraction for Kobayashi.
It's pretty cute how she 's in love with her, and I at least hope something happens between the two later on in the story.
...ive been wondering about her lesbianism actually. ...you think that she was more traumatized into being lesbian and not born lesbian. I mean she's a dragon and perhaps in earlier times the men of the past attracted her way to often and frequently that they caused a phobia or hatred for the opposite sex. Is that possible or do I sound crazy?
Apr 16, 2017 11:56 PM

Dec 2015
Illyricus said:
The Monogatari Series (Kanbaru), Madoka, Symphogear and Danganronpa 3 are the first to come to mind.

Does Monogatari even count though? I remember Nisemonogatari was ecchi and even almost hentai at one point.

Like others have said: Shinsekai Yori and Evangelion. I also suspect Nathan from Blood+ to be this.
Apr 16, 2017 11:59 PM

Dec 2015
If you're looking for unsexualized representation of the gay, from Inari Konkon Koi Iroha comes to mind.
0kkuApr 17, 2017 12:03 AM
Apr 17, 2017 12:34 AM
Jan 2016
Dpc292 said:
AyameTomoko said:

...ive been wondering about her lesbianism actually. ...you think that she was more traumatized into being lesbian and not born lesbian. I mean she's a dragon and perhaps in earlier times the men of the past attracted her way to often and frequently that they caused a phobia or hatred for the opposite sex. Is that possible or do I sound crazy?

I think she's neither lesbian nor straight. She's Kobayashi-sexual. As in, only attracted to Kobayashi. ;p
Apr 17, 2017 12:39 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Ecchan from Kuzu no Honkai just last season would be a pretty obvious example too
Apr 17, 2017 12:54 AM

Feb 2013
flannan said:
Personally, I'm looking forward to Centaur's Worries anime. The original manga had a pair of lesbian girls as prominent side characters.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34525/Centaur_no_Nayami
holy shit how didnt i know of this
the monster girl genre is growing wings!
Apr 17, 2017 1:05 AM

Jul 2013
holysauron said:
Illyricus said:

Does Monogatari even count though? I remember Nisemonogatari was ecchi and even almost hentai at one point.

Like others have said: Shinsekai Yori and Evangelion. I also suspect Nathan from Blood+ to be this.
I don't know, but you're right in Nisemonogatari, dem toothbrush :)

You are kinda right respecting Nathan, he seemed to be very gay, though, considering the hints of his true nature, sometimes doubt if his silly behaviour was just a facade.
Apr 17, 2017 1:06 AM

Jan 2017
First thing that comes into mind is Aru Akise from Mirai Nikki
Too Lazy to find a proper signature
Apr 17, 2017 1:13 AM

Nov 2009
Dpc292 said:
AyameTomoko said:
http://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/03/19/636255449995501694580705509_anime.png

More like, Tohru is a xenophile that is attracted to somebody as unlike her as a human.
I mean, it's easy for human-like monster girls of "life with monster girls" to have interest in humans. But Tohru's native form is that of a giant and totally non-human dragon. Compared to that, things like genders don't really matter much.
Also, in the manga
Apr 17, 2017 1:18 AM

Jun 2016
I don't care what his official/canon sexuality is but goddammit Alciel has got to be up there.
He's the right man for Maou and y'all know it!

Apr 17, 2017 8:23 AM
Mar 2017
Pullman said:
It's not lesbian when it's actually bestiality. Species before gender.
But there's a million yuri bait characters like her if you enjoy that.

Won't deny that I think it's cute, but I don't think it's bestiality necessarily.
She's in her human form after all.
Apr 17, 2017 12:26 PM

Jul 2015
I would say Sana from Squid Girl, but she may have more of a girl crush on Squid Girl rather than just being a yuri girl. Squid Girl really isn't an ecchi series either.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How much anime is too much

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

22 by DesuMaiden »»
21 seconds ago

» What exactly are the perks of having waifu?

SgtBateMan - 5 hours ago

20 by DesuMaiden »»
1 minute ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - May 3

48 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» How would you describe modern mainstream anime?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

37 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» When is an anime too long or too short for you?

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

19 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.