Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 30, 2017 8:27 AM

Jun 2011
Disappointing, so disappointed with this show. There was a time when I wondered what this series has done to deserve the 6.89 score that it has, but now I know.. The first 4 episodes weren't special, but it wasn't bad. After watching the second half, I thought to myself, I suppose there's a reason why people don't like to watch a female oriented war drama, it always comes down to those sappy scenes unless it's a well written series.

I've never liked Izetta's/magic's involvement in the story, though I get that it is integral to the overall scheme of the plot, the first episode was rather good without any magic at all (except for the final part of the episode).. I wasn't sure how it was going to play out with the addition of a witch, it didn't turn out bad by the halfway point, but it wasn't as good as the earlier parts where you'd never have thought that there was a way out of a pinch situation. Of course, they added another witch from the legend to match up against Izetta.. frankly, I am not a fan of that, at all.

There's also a lot more plot convenience as the series goes along, it keeps challenging my suspension of disbelief towards the direction of the series. By the end of it all, I pretty much just say "fuck it" and just ride along it either way.

I really wish I could've enjoyed the series, liked it a lot at the beginning. It's already hard enough to look for a good anime, it's even harder to look for a series that could keep up the consistency/quality until the very end. :/ The ED was good though. I also like the setting a lot.

after replaying the ed multiple times, the ED is indeed great, just that random engrish that kinda throws me off a little bit

forgot to address the voice acting, remembered after reading the comments here.. didn't like Izetta's voice acting, it's the generic high pitch voice every moe girls have, annoying to listen to, suppose there's a reason why she hasn't took off with her VA career. Hayami Saori was okay most of the time, but when it mattered, when she needed to have more powerful voice, her voice acting didn't deliver, most VA including her nowadays mistreated powerful as in "shouting as loud as you can", her voice acting when asked if Izetta was going to survive the depletion of magic particles was cringey instead of emotional and powerful.

also, idk if it's just me, but imo the series would've been better if Izetta was a dude instead of a girl, they would've had interesting dynamics if that's the case, there's just more option for something fresh imo if she's a he, the relationship between Fine and Izetta is as one-dimensional as they come.
ToG25thBaamApr 30, 2017 9:19 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 9, 2017 7:02 PM

Sep 2011
Mediocre ending for a mediocre series. The series wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either. There was nothing for me to latch on to.
Aug 15, 2017 9:35 AM

Jul 2014
I didn't like it!
It seems unnatural for anyone to have that much selflessness like Izetta has, or should it be called devotion? Anyway it truly was one directional anime, I hated Izetta who is like android who is programmed to be devotional, I hated the princess and the people around her it's like princess does one thing and everyone's like "She's so kind" or whatever. The only character I liked was the Arnold Berckmann, he is rational and open minded when there's a possibility, values his own life unlike everyone else on this anime. And he isn't sentimental about what others tell him to be sentimental about. And he has a sharp tongue when it comes to harsh truths.
Sep 20, 2017 11:51 AM

Aug 2015
A basically sad and happy ending at the same time. But unfortunately... The only certainty is that everything was in vain, there will be no future where people can smile or choose... Much less wars will end. Izetta lives. Sophie dies with a weak sermon. I was also disappointed.
Sep 24, 2017 12:22 PM

Jun 2012
Good show. The early fanservice bits and that horribly dumb speech in the pie shop nearly killed it for me. I wasn't very hopeful for this at episode 6, but the second half was about as good as I could've hoped for. Fun alternate history events, great dramatic pacing, great climax, and a bitter sweet ending. I see people saying she should have died as a heroic sacrifice, but draining all your power and being wheelchair bound is enough sacrifice for me.

This show reminded me a lot about Kabaneri. Wafer-thin characters and a dumb plot riding the rule of cool. But this one actually had a good second half, and Izetta was a much better character than anyone in Kabaneri. 7/10 overall.
EternalSerenitySep 24, 2017 4:56 PM
Dec 25, 2018 7:22 PM
Apr 2014
Hoppy said:
6/10

That's a hell of a cop out ending, I don't think Izetta should've survived that fight, everything was pointing to an epic heroic sacrifice. It really let down the series hard.

I'm tired of series like this where a character dies/disappears in the end, so personally I'm glad Izetta survived.
Apr 4, 2019 8:44 PM

Mar 2016
If nothing else this series satisfied my fetish for girls in oversize coats.

This wasn't too bad of a story overall. My biggest issue being Fine and how freaking boring she is to watch. I think this is what makes Izetta's devotion to her so irritating, and it really reduces her to a weapon or some natural force (she is hardly a character), which is the sort of thing you'd think the narrative would explicitly try to dance around, and it tries to but not well enough in my mind. And of course the tragic nature of that devotion is barely explored even with all the cynical events that surrounds it. In the end she's wheelchair bound, but probably still smiling or something. Kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But despite not really liking either of the main characters, lol, I enjoyed the splendid absurdity of the battle against Sophie as well as Sieg's end (the death of that kid was necessarily unnecessary). I also enjoyed the setting, and despite the fact that we only saw Eylstadt as either a battlefield or a castle (I guess that's what happens when a story is told from the perspective of royalty) it had a decent sense of scale.
syncrogazerApr 4, 2019 8:55 PM
Aug 15, 2019 1:38 PM
Jun 2013
MonoJuMal said:
Matthias is a huge jerk. Not only did he parade Sophie in front of his wife and country (to the point that they write fairy tales about their love story), but then he made his main chick to get rid of his side chick for the sake of his country. It's almost like he felt like Sophie's love was too much and since he was dying he decided to do this instead of breaking this off in the first place. Sophie's intense love for him and Izetta's intense love for Fine kind of shows how witches don't make good lovers. (at least on this show) It might be fun and crazy in the beginning, but then they keep talking about how much they're willing to die for you and do anything for you. But if you cross them, they that will quickly turn into intense hate.

Shuumatsu no Izetta - don't get with crazy witch side chicks

Sophie and Izetta's fight probably killed a lot of people.

When they both had their hands up as they gathered all the world's snot magic I felt like it would have been better if it also caused an atomic bomb type level of explosion. For it to fizzle out into one column like that felt like a ho-hum sort of thing.

Germania's quick defeat...hmmm. I feel like they could have done more with that. I know Hitler killed himself, with his wife joining in on the fun with a pill, but I guess it's implied here that his lover decided to not die with him, but kill him instead.

Izetta not dying....I don't mind happy endings, but considering the topic of the show Izetta should have died. It would have been a better ending if it did.

I agree with you, using Arslan Senki's manga and Fate/zero as a reference, I would deem Matthias as a coward who is unfit to be king. He is guilty of multiple sins. 1 is unfairness, Sophie's did so much and her reward was nothing but suffering. 2 is his lack of being creative. IF he really wanted to NOT make the church the enemy then, if it was me, I would simply tell Sophie to go into hiding (FOREVER as in go to another country), kill a death-row criminal, then put his corpse in a bag then give a typical "public execution" where the princess supposedly executes "Sophie" (decoy) via stake burning in front of the people. While this sort of tactic would get Matthias's "jealous" wife to take the blame, which I imagine she did since she must be "erased" from history, it is much better getting Sophie killed. The fact that Matthias didn't do this was likely in fear of the common people would rebel, as their heroic witch was murdered, and kill the royal family; Matthias should not even care about this result, if he really cared about his own people, thus he is a coward, worse than a tyrant.
Sep 21, 2020 1:19 PM
Oct 2019
That's cool that she didn't die.

Overall 6/10. And closer to a 5/10 than a 7/10.
Nov 26, 2021 9:30 PM

Aug 2018
I was glad to see the corgi still kicking.
Apr 17, 2022 8:52 AM

Oct 2021
Liechtenstein fighting Hitler with magic that's all
Inside of me you’re still living
Each time I think of you pain, suffering, sorrow, despair
You’re just an emotional decay, the one who took my life away
Dec 26, 2022 6:19 PM
Jul 2022
they didnt kiss :(
Sep 2, 2023 10:51 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
They returned to the lake where they met. Darn my heart.

It could've been a whole lot better, felt like a solid rough draft that needed to zip from point A to B in a hurry. Least the GL aided the mediocre parts.

5/10 right down the middle. Shout out to the OST which was way too good for this series but carried.
Feb 8, 8:34 AM

Dec 2020
Ending was happier than expected. Thought everyone would die or at least izetta would.

Fan service was random. Fights were cool. Story was ok. Enjoyed it but I feel like it could've been better.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu no Izetta Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2016

136 by Cyroro »»
Apr 23, 3:50 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu no Izetta Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2016

314 by parzxval »»
Mar 12, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu no Izetta Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

125 by Fentanylfloyd »»
Mar 6, 4:42 AM

» Queerbait or straight up lesbians

a0t3a - May 4, 2021

4 by N3rdieBirdie »»
Feb 6, 7:18 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu no Izetta Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

144 by Muow »»
Feb 6, 12:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.