Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 2014 10:21 PM

Sep 2013
Well, I don't get the romance in this anime. I was expecting Kyon x Haruhi the whole series, but in the end the best moments (IMO) were with Nagato. The "under the tree" and the kissing scenes weren't near as good as the roof scene or other sublime moments between them. I bet I only bumped this movie to a 7 because of the Kyon x Nagato scenes, since I couldn't buy a lot of stuff in the plot and in the series, I guess.

Anyway, I still don't get the whole over the top hype about this show. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad (well, second season is), but it's not near as good as people claim it to be... at least that's what I think.
Apr 16, 2014 4:54 PM

Aug 2013
SPOILER in following comment

Idk if this was discussed already (i'm sure it has but i couldnt be bothered to search :P) but I understood the story up until Kyon was about to fire the dart gun on Nagato...Why did Asakura reappear, hadnt Kyon already left that distorted time space where everything was "normal"? And besides, wasn't the Asakura of that time line unaware of being a homicidal alien (unless she was faking it)?

Also, did he catch Nagato when she was in the process of changing the time space? But in that case how was his stab wound healed and transported to the hospital? Nagato wouldn't have the power to do so...Unless it was Asahina that found a way to transport him somehow? Could it have been the other Kyon he saw before passing out that fixed the whole ordeal?

Diid he really end up falling down the stairs and the whole ordeal was a dream from being unconscious? Or is there something I'm missing?

Bottom line, this ending leaves me totally confused, but it's still an impressive movie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2014 4:17 AM
Nov 2013
I loved this movie!

The pacing was slow but it was necessary. It made me enjoy the series and the characters in it a lot better.

Kyon's narration in the seriew was a bit annoying sometimes. Hiis change in character made it a lot better for me.

Oh, and Yuki was so cute :3
Apr 17, 2014 7:44 AM
Jun 2012
ExiledZebra said:
Or is there something I'm missing?

Yeah, it kinda seems like you're missing a lot. You should re-watch that scene, all your answers are there.

Also: there's always the novels. They explain everything quite well and are totally awesome.

-Arvis
Apr 17, 2014 8:23 AM

Apr 2014
Great Movie! I'm not to fond of anime movies but this one was brilliant 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2014 2:05 PM
Oct 2013
Amazing.... that's the only thing I can think of right now.
May 12, 2014 6:42 PM

Jan 2014
the art and animation in this movie is superb.. pretty good for a 2010 movie
Recommend me an anime
May 12, 2014 6:44 PM
Feb 2014
great movie 10/10 simply amazing

btw 99.5% of Muslims don't celebrate Mohammed's birth(finally got it out of my system)
May 30, 2014 1:13 AM

Feb 2013
Do you think at the end when Kyon was talking about going back in time one day to correct the future for Nagato, they were actually hinting at a break before the new series, because they said something along the lines of "It may be a while until we go back in time, but we will do it, just let me have a taste of haruhi's cooking." and its been roughly 4 years, so should we expect it in the near future? (Haruhi must of cooked lots of food ;D)
Jun 16, 2014 10:49 PM

May 2013
DAMN. This was a masterpiece by all means. Perfect.
Jun 17, 2014 5:11 AM

Mar 2010
Was great. love the knife scene.
Jun 23, 2014 11:32 PM

Nov 2013
why the fuck was this so good?
Jul 1, 2014 1:35 PM
May 2013
Great movie , it got me hooked up after 20 minutes although I'm not into movies .
Human Nagato is cute .
I wish there was another season ...
Oh yeah I forgot , Haruhi with long hair > regular Haruhi .
Jul 2, 2014 9:40 AM

Dec 2013
In my opinion, One of the best Anime Movies ever.
I was hooked up at the screen for all of the 161 minutes. 10/10
Jul 8, 2014 5:06 PM

Jun 2013
That was a hell of a ride, Nagato was super cute in this movie. Haruhi really does look great with a ponytail. There was some pretty cool twists and turns thought out the movie as well. 10/10
Jul 27, 2014 3:56 PM
Sep 2013
KyoAni movie style never disappoint me..

and yeah, lovely right from the start to the finish
Jul 29, 2014 12:39 AM
Jan 2009
open this threads again

iloveyou yuki!!!!
but im so sorry about her
Aug 29, 2014 6:15 PM
Jun 2014
Just recently watched this. I watched the series first, which I thought was solid, but not amazing. But this movie was one of the best anime movies I've seen. For such a long movie (2 hours 40 mins), it certainly doesn't feel that long. Great movie, but you absolutely have to watch the series first.
Aug 30, 2014 9:19 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
TakezoKensei said:
tingy said:

I don't know if it helps or not, but you might be pleased to know that this actually marks a pivot in Kyon's relationship with Nagato, as we see in the later novels of the series.

After this, he does everything in his power to allow her to be as normal as possible, to be as emotionally free as possible, and he stops relying on her like he once did(which is half of what caused the movie in the first place -- Kyon's over-reliance). He dosen't really blame her at all, and beautifully acknowledges that this was partialy his fault. Him and Nagato's boss.
Not only that, but it's only after Dissapearance that Kyon really starts developing some incredibly deep feelings for Nagato herself, but that's off-topic.

I mean, really, Nagato was desperate, and that roof-top scene is so beautiful because it concludes that with Kyon not only choosing the Nagato he knows, and understanding her pain, but threatening her boss, just so that she could continue to exhibit emotions, because the Data Entity sure can't do shit to her now.
In the end of the movie, I can't feel tooooo bad for Nagato, because after seeing Kyon promise her that he'd never let her go like that, and putting his coat over her, she kinda gets what she wanted in the normal world: care, consideration, understanding, and the ability to be emotional. without having to completely alter her own personality.

Beautiful scene. Beautiful movie.

Wow after more than one year I decide to revisit this thread only to see someone had actually replied me on the same day :(

But yes, this info does please me. Now I'm interested in reading the LNs! I'm glad to know that this incidence causes Kyon to change, after all, I complained a little about the little character development Kyon got after season 2.
Aug 31, 2014 8:30 PM
Nov 2013
Just re-watched the series followed by the movie and I actually really like the series and movie in particular. You really have to feel bad for Yuki and the fact that she really does deserve to be able to feel and have emotions just like anyone who isn't a humanoid intermediary of the thought entities. Glad Kyon finally realized just how special she had actually become and all the positive things that the relationships he had forged really meant to him. Probably won't be a third season, but the show is good enough to warrant one in my opinion, provided they learn to never do something like the endless eight again.
Sep 4, 2014 5:54 AM

Oct 2013
I've concluded after this movie that the Haruhi Suzumiya series is a harem. I can't decide which of the three girls Kyon would be better with...

Seriously though, great movie. I liked Yuki well enough previously, but I've come to respect her a fair bit more after this film. It was painful to watch "human" Yuki's interactions in the film... she looked so shy and so lonely. Her reactions to Kyon were adorable, but I don't think I could've tolerated seeing her looking so lonely like that for good. It was just heartbreaking!

Kyon's talk with himself near the end of the movie was also fantastically done and improved my already high opinion of him.

Like always, though, Itsuki is still mah main bro.

Man, I really hope more of the light novels get anime adaptions.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 21, 2014 6:57 AM

Dec 2013
Definitely waaaay better than the average series.
Yuki showing emotions was aweosme. Long-haired Haruhi was so pretty. OST was amazing.
But I don't get how Kyon saved the world .. He got stabbed and then suddenly he wakes up in the real world wtf
Oct 5, 2014 8:43 AM

Sep 2013
Amazing movie 9/10, wonderfully done. Will there be another season? Is the story finished in the novels?
Oct 8, 2014 1:15 AM

Sep 2014
Holy shit, this was so much better than the show. I'm glad I tanked my way through the parts that I absolutely hated just to see this movie
Oct 28, 2014 5:27 PM

Jul 2012
8/10. A lot better than both seasons of the TV series and every character was more likable, especially Haruhi herself. The cinematography was excellent although I think it needed more scenes (like the last one on the rooftop).
Nov 7, 2014 10:32 PM
Aug 2014
It's because of this film alone that I have such a high opinion of the series before it. On their own they were good, but nothing that stood out much. But my God... this movie was near perfect in so many ways, and makes every second of the series worth while! (Possibly with the exception of the Endless Eight arc, but that's another discussion)

This may be one of those movies I get around to watching ever or ever other Christmas season. Solid 9/10, no questions asked!
Dec 12, 2014 12:40 PM

Jan 2012
Movie was really good better than anime both s1 and s2 (finally some good action at the end)
a lot of your unanswered confused questions about Haruhi anime are answered

Dec 23, 2014 7:59 PM

Nov 2007
I am so glad I actually watched the season 2 before watching this movie. Finally getting to see this movie all on a sudden the ENDLESS EIGHT looks like a fitting stage for the movie. Imagine Nagato being on standby for years and then she also had to go through the 595 years doing the same thing all over again all the while remembering each and every loop. Remember Kyon noticing how bored she looked and how he tried to put himself in Nagato's shoes going through the same ordeal more than 15,000 times.

The final setting was absolutely brilliant and when Nagato nodded her head on the roof top and said "Thank You" to Kyon it showed that she has definitely developed emotions.

A true masterpiece. I really think to truly enjoy the movie, one has to watch both season 1 and season 2. Because it helped me enjoy the movie more, particularly the episodes of season 2.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 24, 2014 1:21 AM

May 2014
Wow. That was seriously fantastic. It makes me want to raise my scores of s1 and s2 by 1 each =p

Absolutely loved it! Makes me want more. I need the questions answered!

10/10 from me.
Dec 24, 2014 9:34 PM

Jan 2013
This is like my third viewing of the movie since it's Christmas toady :DD

Still love it. The art is amazing, as always (you go, KyoAni!), and it was good to see developments, especially the subtle emotion build-ups. I usually don't sit through credits, but today I did and noticed the end scene in the library.

That was cute :3

9/10
Dec 27, 2014 12:29 PM

Jan 2014
Haruhi with long hair is just kawaii <3
Dec 29, 2014 2:47 PM
Sep 2014
What amazing movie. Im big fan of time travel, parallel world movies so i guess it is extra plus for it.
I just like every aspect of this movie, especially after the prologue when sh?t hits the fan.
It kept me on the edge of my seat from that point till the end.

Cant wait for the season 3 * yes, there will be one one day, i know it * but i will accept Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu with open arms :)
Jan 9, 2015 11:08 AM

Mar 2014
This movie is a masterpiece. I thought the tv series was good, but I didn't care too much for it. This movie tho... shit blew me away. I wasn't really expecting much, so it was crazy how everything came together.
Jan 19, 2015 7:27 PM

Sep 2013
so what did asahina whispered in kyon's ear when ever they were sitting on a bench in the park?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Jan 23, 2015 7:47 AM

Oct 2014
The movie was awesome I loved normal Nagato I wish Kyon didn't fix the world Nagato for the win!
9/10
Jan 26, 2015 6:45 AM

Nov 2014
I enjoyed watching this movie a lot more than the series actually. I found the first 2 seasons a bit boring actually and watched it because of its popularity. This movie is a lot better, tho you need to have watched the previous 28 episodes to grasp what is going on in this movie.

Time travel isn't my cup of tea because of all the time paradoxes but still enjoyed this great movie.
The animation, beautiful and outstanding!

In the end it seem to me like there could be a hidden life lesson in it.
Like:" don't complain when you know you have it well". You could have been born in a third world country, so complaining about your life while you have it a lot better then a lot of others is selfish.

slayermusiq1Jan 26, 2015 6:51 AM
Feb 15, 2015 4:51 AM

Jun 2013
Just re-watched the entire franchise and this movie of course, ended up bumping up the score. Still the movie's way better than the tv series. It focuses a lot on the characters; Kyon and Nagato. Despite Kyon's complaints and sighs, he now realizes that he actually enjoys to be a member of the SOS. Nagato is also humanised. She actually has emotions. I'm pleased, worth my time.
Mar 3, 2015 7:18 PM

Nov 2012
Seems like I have a very unpopular opinion, but I'll go and say it anyway. I thought the movie was well done , definitely better than the TV series seasons 1 and 2 which I thought for the most part were pretty bland/mediocre.

That being said I didn't think this movie was amazing or anywhere near 9-10/10 material though. I did like the fact that it was nice that all of these events made kyon kind of question which world he wanted, and made him realize that he actually enjoyed spending time with the SOS brigade by being presented with a world in which they were'nt themselves. Even though its kinda cheesy/predictable he'd want the the world he was originally a part of.

Overall I gave the movie 7/10 for presenting some interesting situations for Kyon , making him think about his relationship with SOS brigade, and for some great presentation, but otherwise it was okay. I think my feelings about the movie might be connected to the fact that I didn't really find the cast of characters in teh whole show too interesting enough to care much about to begin with, so that probably influenced my feelings of apathy when it appeared the group members were missing and kyon goes through such great stress to regain his friends.
Mar 8, 2015 6:25 AM

Apr 2014
9.9/10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like how All this goes....how Kyon was Crazy at 1st ...
Nagato message was like an Encouragement then a hint to anything.
I like how John Smith Decide to Tell Haruhi his Identity and Her Reaction to it.
I like the Quality of this movie...It feels really good...
I like how Nagato Yuki Being Shy and all and Was Attacked By Kyon...She turned me on.
I really Liked Nagato Yuki With These Expressions... Really cute.
I like how I Finished watching the series 1st then watch this movie...otherwise I would be clueless as to what is going on at all.
I like the Expressions they made in this movie ...
I like a few Original Soundtracks in this movie...Feels Nostalgic...Like Spirited away Nostalgic.
I don't like how Ryouko Still comes back and stab him for trying to change back.
I like the idea that Kyon did not actually Fall from stairs and it was all altered in their memories, I like to believe Haruhi is no goddess, changing her mind is possible.

This is a good movie...made me not want to move out of my chair until it's finished.
LoongFeelsMar 8, 2015 6:36 AM
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Mar 18, 2015 1:42 PM
Jan 2012
good movie.
i liked much. Final of movie makes 1 possible clif hanger for closed history in yuki nagato shoushitsu.
Mar 19, 2015 2:33 AM

Jun 2013
I love this movie.

Despite Kyon's complaints about Haruhi, he comes to realize that he enjoys being a member of SOS Brigade. I love the way that Nagato is becoming a human in the alternate world.

I cried when Kyon is stabbed, although I know he can't die like that.

Overall, this movie is amazing.
Mar 19, 2015 7:14 PM

Feb 2015
Just watched this movie.

I... I did not expect this. It was very good. Great. A masterpiece. It also did a thing very few movies or the like can do... I cried. At the moment of writing this, I still am kind of. Thus movie has touched me on a way I didn't think of. This already shows what an impact it gives and how great it is.

It also gives you a thought. Great food for thought. I myself have problems, complain like Kyon. But this movie made me realize it. If the world were to change to be without that, I'd do anything to return it. It makes you cherish and value what you have here and now much more. I think this alone is what makes one need to watch the series and this. It's truly amazing.

The credits song, too. It's what just let me in tears completely. I will remember you. All this, the whole series, the characters... They will have a special place in my heart (they HAVE it).

I also didn't watch Haruhi or anime for 4-5 years. I still remember the series very well though and the movie made me remember those moments. I'm not sure if I should do a rewatch though, I think I it'd be better for me to just keep this as a great memory. Haruhi did actually have a great impact on me though, which still is here today. In fact, I wished (well, prayed too) for Haruhi to be here. Alive. With me.

It did happen. Different name, but everything else is just like her. She's my best friend. The most trustworthy one, too. Sit together at school, too. And I have an attachment to her too, actually.

So in the end, as the conclusion of this, this is a genuine masterpiece that touched me in a way very few movies can do, is with a morale, food for thought and a thought, and it made me realize the impact the series has made on me. And I will never forget you. You all will be in my heart.
Apr 5, 2015 10:36 PM

Jun 2014
This was excellent. At first I was disappointed they had an orchestral OST that made it feel too much like a classic American melodrama a la Douglas Sirk. And then there's a cool section where you get the feeling the series totally wrote itself into a corner. And then a solid plot twist. And boy were those last 30 minutes were really amazing. Those last 30 minutes seriously make me feel bad for not giving this a higher score, but they just didn't hit quite as high as the stuff I give a 9/10.

Revisiting this, this is definitely 9/10 and in my top 20 movies ever.
Index1May 18, 2015 2:14 AM
Apr 12, 2015 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
Wow one of the best anime movies ive ever seen. Epic. Yuki became my favorite character from this show.

9/10.
Apr 17, 2015 6:22 AM

Feb 2015
The movie was very satisfying. They used the mystery element well. I enjoyed every moment of it.

10/10
Apr 29, 2015 11:28 PM
Jun 2011
Third or fourth time I've watched it- still as great as the first time. On this watch though, I realized I had never actually sat through the ending credits and man was that song powerful- I almost started tearing up towards the end.

Here's to an excellent, and in my mind, unforgettable film.
May 2, 2015 1:03 AM

Apr 2013
Just watched this again on Blu-ray this time, absolutely stunning.
May 8, 2015 11:25 PM
Nov 2012
Just rewatched the whole series+the movie it was surprisingly fun I rarely rewatch anything but I think this is going to change from on but it made me wish for an extra series/movie :( (and don't tell me to watch Yuki series it's the reason I rewatched the original in the first place) and I just realized there's an after credit clip!!!

I'm sticking with 9/10 not that I though the movie wasn't perfect but it's incomplete with watching every second of the show, can't believe people would skip it!
May 13, 2015 6:55 PM

Mar 2015
I really loved this movie.

Jul 11, 2015 3:49 PM
Jul 2011
I'd rate this movie a 7/10.

I might have rated it higher if I hadn't already watched the '80s anime show Kimagure Orange Road a long time ago. The last few episodes of the Kimature TV series had an almost identical storyline (this movie's director had previously worked on one of the Kimagure movies, by the way). And honestly, I found Kimagure's version of the story more enjoyable.
Jagged_85Jul 11, 2015 7:07 PM
Pages (21) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

» Ending … [spoilers ahead]

nomnomnori - Mar 3, 2019

8 by User-Name »»
Jun 7, 2023 4:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.