Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 21, 2016 9:04 AM

Jun 2013
Good episode, but definitely the weakest so far.
Nov 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Jan 2008
Great how Rei conveyed his message and it got through to him and I really liked Nikaidou's appearance. Such a great friend, even if Rei does not realize this at the moment
Nov 21, 2016 11:03 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm its always hard being unable to advance despite your best efforts
lol the awkward silence between Rei and Hina's crush

lol wow so Hina's friend knew of Rei's talents eh
hmm Hina's friend seems to be rather dependable
and he seems to love baseball too
between entering a good high school and a rural but less known one that is
connected to the championships eh tough choice there

hmm so Rei was his motivation for making that choice then eh
hmm how to answer this rather serious question of his en
Lol Rei's expressions after saying those words he had in his heart
but those words were sincere though and represented what Rei though

The lesson here is that only you can know what path you want to take
no other person can make that decision for you
Rei chose Shogi because he was good at it and because he wasn't good
with people.
Its nice that Rei's words manage to not only help Hina's friends but also
help himself as well

Hina's reaction at speaking to her friend so suddenly was so cute though
and Rei and Hina thanking each other at the same time lol
Akari's as kind as ever giving food to Rei lol

lol Hina's expression when Takahashi was in her house
stiff as a board as Rei points out
man she's so different when her crush is here lol
If Akari was there things would have been smoother
And lol Hina still hasn't learned her lesson about the bento

Lol the cats can be quite persistent
im glad that Akari managed to sort out what they were going to make after though
and that Hina was able to make it

lol Rei and Hina's reaction at seeing Bodoro was so funny
oh so Hina and the others didn't realize that Rei was a pro shogi player
that is far above that of a school club eh
lol Bodoro does care about Rei in his own way
Rei's his sworn rival after all
man going mad about Rei's mistakes
Rei's his best friend for sure even he doesn't want to admit it

wow Rei just exploding like that was so unexpected
lol Hina's family's reaction was even funnier

hmm Rei teaching Hina Shogi eh
lol Nikaido's actions lol
so unlike his normal self
lol he looks right at home at Hina's home though
and man what a lead in for Rei

wow Rei explains things rather fast
thats a bad thing for something like Shogi
lol Nikaido's book and explanation was easier to understand

But from this Rei should be able to see where he is going wrong and
get through that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2016 1:39 PM

Oct 2011
This time we actually had some development and progress unlike any of the previous episodes. The ending cat video was awesome btw :D

Nov 21, 2016 7:35 PM

Oct 2008
HanaKana always da best!
This whole episode is gigglingly fun!
Kiriyama first time he shouted! so Hina doesn't know Kiriyama's already popular!?
Kiriyama isn't good at teaching Shogi but Nikaidou know how to teach the easy and correct way!
5/5!

Nov 22, 2016 12:02 PM

Jul 2009
Another great episode. I'm glad that Rei was able to talk with Takahashi :D I'm glad that they understood each other! It was nice to see Nikaidou noticing something was wrong with Rei, and I'm glad Rei reacted like that too and really said how he felt :P Aww Hina wants to learn how to play ... I followed Rei's explanation (mostly) but Nikaidou's would definitely be easier lol. The cat ending was so cute XD I wonder if we'll get another one next episode (with the remaining pieces) if we're gonna be continuing teaching Hina? :P
Nov 23, 2016 11:26 AM

Sep 2014
so kiriyama gets more social and he teaches shogi to hina.
(If this is going the way it looks, I might start shogi too ^^ )

But this was way to cheerfull, Im getting some tissues for next episode, because its probably depressing again ^^
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 24, 2016 1:34 AM

Mar 2009
Shirasho said:
It's about time we had some upward direction on this emotional rollercoaster. This is how you do character development. By itself this episode was nothing extraordinary. We've seen it before in so many other shows. What sets this apart is that we have a character with depth and a real, relatable emotional struggle who finds his first bits of happiness in the thoughtful and tasteful intrigue of a stranger.

That scene, because of the context surrounding it, has some ridiculous impact and holds a lot of truth a lot of "outsiders" don't understand. A lot of people without depression talk to people with depression and halfheartedly ask whats wrong or flat our deny the depression altogether, sometimes goes so far as telling the person to build a bridge and get over it. If it were that easy to get out of depression it wouldn't be such a serious and common issue. All it takes is a simple extended hand; One that is filled with genuine intrigue which treats you with respect; One that acknowledges you have authority and omniscience over your own mental domain; One that wants to genuinely better themselves by learning from you. The first step on dealing with depression is making the depressed feel like they are wanted.

Sadly not a lot of people care about what others have to say, and fewer still are willing to extend that hand and see things through. That scene was handled in the most tasteful way possible and I am extremely glad to see this series handle this kind of topic with the respect it deserves.

GOOD POST. Rei is lucky to have quite a few understanding people in his life, speaking of which.

Sad that there's no episode this week!
Nov 25, 2016 10:06 PM

Jan 2015
I really liked this episode.

Connected a lot with Takahashi's want to become a pro at what he enjoys doing, while also feeling inadequate next to people like Rei who have already figured things out at the same age that he's struggling. What he doesn't see is Rei's own intrapersonal conflict - not being able to live up to to the first of his ilk (the "child of God," iirc) and becoming more reckless than brave; a conflict which we finally get to see completely explode open when he starts yelling at the TV. Facets, and all.

Great line from Someji/"the old guy" when he observes that explosion and remarks that "there's still hope left for this generation after all!" The difference in ages between the cast, along with the regular tone whiplashes, continues to sell its umbrella theme for me (which the entire time I have considered to be "the human experience"). Hina, who's got her head wrapped around a childhood crush; Akari, who helps her, as a big sister would; Rei, who feels, undoubtedly, stuck in the center, where he finds a few older people (like the aforementioned "child of God") to be untouchable, in an idealized sense, but is also made to teach Hina shogi - which he ends up being awful at, because he can't capture the childlike awe that comes with learning about something new. Awesome episode, awesome show.

Also, that ED was cute.
Nov 26, 2016 5:53 AM

Apr 2011
What is this warm and fluffy feeling from this episode?! ~v~
Loved it! <3
Nov 26, 2016 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
Perseverance, also demonstrated in this episode, in understanding the feelings of Rei, from even more charisma to this anime. Better defining the character and inclinations of Rei, I am an added bonus. But director also manages to stagliare from the bottom, those who animate the story along with the protagonist; in this, as in Cowboy Bebop, the soundtrack has its value by completing the general picture. Perhaps the humor is a bit invasive, but also it is useful to build and define various aspects, such as bonds and contexts. I am happy that the personal story of Hinata, it went ahead and Nikaidou have found a well-defined position in history.
Nov 26, 2016 11:44 PM

Jul 2008
Rei's gonna steal Hina's crush...poor Hina.
Nov 27, 2016 11:50 AM

Sep 2015
As someone who has been trying to learn to play shogi because of this anime I found the ending to this episode to be particularly amusing. I also really like that Nikaidou is charming around the girls and they like him. It's a nice unexpected touch and one of the many things that make the cast of this series enjoyable week to week. I also felt this episode had a lot of great Shaft animation especially in the ending segment. Rei trying to explain shogi to the little sisters and a swirling mass of numbers and shogi boards appearing behind their head was incredible. This show has exceeded my expectations in so many ways can't wait for next week.
Nov 28, 2016 10:05 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode as usual. Some nice development, I liked how they connected.
Dec 2, 2016 12:37 PM

Nov 2016
This show keeps impressing me more and more every week. Truly a hidden gem this season, I wish more people were paying attention to it because it really deserves more praise.

The animation during the first half following Rei's interaction with Takahashi was absolutely breathtaking. The contrast between the vibrant colour and shading... wow! I was blown away. Great use of conveying emotion through imagery and animation rather than solely dialogue.

I also really enjoy the bond between Rei and Hina. It's very heartwarming and I find they play off of each other very nicely. The scenes between them always manage to make me smile.

I'm so excited for next week! I really love where the story is headed so far.
Dec 8, 2016 11:55 PM

Oct 2015
Rei has gained a friend in Takahashi it seems and Nakaidou gave Rei an intense talk on that TV.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 9, 2016 4:24 AM

Mar 2016
The cat song is fun xD
No seriously.
Dec 24, 2016 4:54 PM

Nov 2015
Very unqiue and nice ED! :D
Great series so far.

5/5
Dec 30, 2016 6:07 AM

Feb 2015
This series is much more heartwarming than I ever thought it would be. I love it! Tall guy is actually friendly and that nya~ ED was adorable. 5/5
Mar 20, 2017 6:15 AM

Mar 2015
oh my god that ED was the cutest thing I've ever watched
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 25, 2017 5:56 AM
Dec 2009
I love Hina's crush, he's so cool and down-to-earth! Haha. What a surprise he knows about shogi! Rei was so happy Hina wanted to learn shougi... do I sense a crush?

The kitty shogi at the end of cute, and educational.
Apr 3, 2017 7:22 PM

May 2012
Didn't think he would keep his "secret" to himself like that, but that ending was totally lovely! Looking forward to see what's next.
Apr 6, 2017 2:26 PM

Mar 2017
Me:
HINA STAHP I SHIP YOU WITH REEIII

The cat song is so amazing haha!
eulsApr 6, 2017 2:31 PM

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Apr 15, 2017 5:29 AM

Apr 2015
Kinda pedestrian tbh, less spark comp. to previous weeks

SFX felt a bit tacky this time round too
Apr 27, 2017 9:57 PM

Nov 2013
What I like most about this series, and particularly this episode, is the deep psychological inner reflection that Kiriyama does. So much on a deep level is communicated here. Very thoughtful and provocative.
Jun 1, 2017 6:40 AM
Aug 2014
The serious and the comedic worked really well together in this episode.

Wish Rei's voice-over wasn't so monotone though.
Oct 20, 2017 8:34 AM

Nov 2016
Lorezhno said:
The serious and the comedic worked really well together in this episode.

Wish Rei's voice-over wasn't so monotone though.

This is late but his monotone voice suits his character
Oct 28, 2017 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
Good episode and what a great guy Nikaidou is. The ED was great. A fun way to explain Shogi.

May 26, 2018 1:19 PM

Nov 2013
That was unexpected. Hina has a chance to get closer to Takahashi now.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 31, 2018 8:21 PM

Jun 2015
the ending, so adorable
Feb 6, 2019 7:10 AM
Apr 2018
Lol, my man Rei has a mancrush. We''l see who prevails here: him or Hina.

Not too fond of Bodoro. I wish he would stop showing up.
Mar 21, 2019 5:01 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, Takahashi is a great guy, Rei needs a friend like him.
May 24, 2019 2:14 PM

Sep 2017
I thought the ending credits scene was funny. Why are they explaining shogi after six episodes though? I looked up the rules long ago because I was so lost. Hinata getting so flabbergasted over Takashi going to their house was really cute and so similar to how teenage crushes feel. Great episode, looking forward to more.
Jun 5, 2019 3:24 AM

Jun 2011
probably the best episode so far.. we're finally getting into some shogi! I love the addition of the baseball player too, I could totally relate to Kiriyama's happiness of being understood
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 17, 2019 12:45 PM

Aug 2006
Rei, someone who is so closed off, expressing his thoughts to someone who was basically a stranger and the happiness he felt when that stranger understood him was really great. It wouldn't have been odd for Rei to give a short, vague answer but he gave an honest answer and was rewarded for it.
Sep 29, 2019 9:38 PM

Sep 2018
I love the 3 sisters!!!!! They are so cuteeeeee !! Hina is so cute!! Hahahha
FINALLY!!! they explain the game lol
Oct 2, 2019 1:58 PM

Jul 2015
When the ending song teaches you a board game, anime really teaches you something sometimes

Apr 2, 2020 1:45 PM

Oct 2014
I'm in a similar spot right now with art (and life in general) like Rei with shogi, except maybe worse :") his words to Takahashi really got me thinking, though TwT
Jul 27, 2020 5:29 AM

Dec 2013
It's refreshing to see the crush scenes in anime that was so pure like this! I really ship Takahashi x Hina but there might be Rei x Hina too. Nikaidou is really a good guy, seriously! I really like him! Momo is soooo cute ❤️❤️❤️

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 19, 2020 2:24 PM

Jul 2016
Aww the ED for this episode was adorable
Aug 26, 2020 9:04 PM
Oct 2019
Are these two dudes crushing on each other?

3 cats now?

Momo is so adorable. "Thank you for the foo-ood."

Wow that recorded match scene was great. Takahashi, Nikaido, Hinata, grandpa and Momo are fantastic. Haha
Sep 3, 2020 7:05 AM

Jul 2020
It was a surprise that Rei raised his voice, meaning he’s loosening up little by little, and that’s good for him. He’s also very considerate, thinking what other people might feel.

And Nikaidou is such a great friend and also a better teacher lol.

I’m slowly getting the idea what Shogi is though I know that it’s kinda resemble chess and I’m familiar with chess’ rules but I think Shogi is more complicated. Finally getting my interest in it.
Sep 12, 2020 2:09 PM

May 2018
wow yet another great episode! I loved that cat shogi ED too lol
Oct 6, 2020 12:17 PM
Sep 2007
Apparently Rei spend too much time with professionals, so he's not used to explaining anything. Cue Nikado explaining game in easy way, stealing Rei's spotlight as a result.

Nyan Shogi song at the end of the episode - probably the simplest introduction to shogi ever. Good, because I wondered if it's a good idea to watch the show if I have no idea about shogi - heck, I don't even know rules of chess...
Mar 26, 2021 11:23 AM

Aug 2018
Hm.. So Rei returned to school because he wanted to deal with the feeling that he ran from some problem?.. Hm.. Interesting.. I view such problem in a bit meta way, but if something works for you - why not.. Matters, if it works for you, Rei.. I myself really always would question my such motivation.. If it'd only be to avoid some feeling of not trying.. That's not the motivation of getting somewhere for me, not the motivation I'd want to follow.. What exactly I want?.. In relationships with people, for example.. If it's nothing - I think it's not the best motivation to follow - out of feeling of not trying.. There will always be things I won't try about.. Like to research more about religion, history, or some other things.. There will be tons of things society expects you to have.. Question for me more should be, whether I truly want it.. But what works for you, Rei - works for you.. If it is working.. I have no idea.. How is progress in school, talking with other people?..
Hm.. So what you'd like to ask Souya, Rei?..
Hm.. Harunobu actually wishes that Rei would continue to play his best.. It's interesting.. It means that Harunobu cares about Rei or about the best shougi, or both..
Well, ok.. Now I know how 3 figures move.. From that cat ED, I guess.. So it is like chess then, it seems..
Aug 22, 2021 5:19 AM
Nov 2010
The presentation in this show is just all over the place, and so far this episode is the highlight of that.
Oct 20, 2021 11:21 AM

Sep 2016
Finally... I learned shogi. Thank you Nyan Nyan De Nyan Shogi!!

Also, I don't think the comedy buries the deep character development of the main story at all. If anything, it's welcoming to see Kiriyama interacting with this lively, extraverted world of all the other characters, since it is a contrast of himself. Plus, I find the comedy great because it is lighthearted and never feels out of place since the first episode.
OgaZoSoOct 20, 2021 11:25 AM
Dec 31, 2021 1:22 PM
Nov 2020
Fun note: Nyan Shogi is sung by the VAs for Hinata, Akari and Momo.
Apr 12, 2022 6:57 PM

May 2021
I wonder why this episode only has 2 pages worth of comments.

Anyways, great to see Rei open up slowly.

May 12, 2022 7:33 PM

Dec 2021
love the cats, the cutesy sol is starting to grow on me. i was kinda worried they'd make takahashi a douchebag, hopefully that wont be the case. i like his interactions with rei
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

163 by astoneon »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

169 by astoneon »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.